Deadline Day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think this is THE valid question.

Because depending on how you answer it, either you are unrealistic of the club’s finances and overall situation or you are not.

Wilder wanted 3 or 4. He got 4 new players, 3 of which you’d definitely say can be seen as first team options. So it’s not like we didn’t meet expectations in terms of doing something.

Inauspicious start granted, but a keeper from a European powerhouse who has International Caps, for a reasonable fee. We knew we needed a new keeper. So what were we expecting? As a gauge, Palace wanted 15m for Sam Johnstone. So what was a realistic sure-fire alternative that we were expecting? Forest spent 8m on a 31 year old just yesterday.

We just signed Mason Holgate on loan. He’s had a loan that didn’t work out at Saints. Before that he’s racked up 126 PL appearances, 149 in total at Everton and starred under Ancelotti. At 1.87m and having played right back, centre back and defensive midfield, he’s the identikit of a player you’d need to replace Basham. It also means we have not been bullied to commit funds on a perm we might not have wanted to. It also means Anel will play more at CB, where he has done better against higher quality opposition. So who did we expect? Souttar is out of favour with Leicester, not played for his club since October and already failed to nail a spot in a relegation campaign. Until the last minute, Worrall wasn’t available for loan and it may have meant rushing a decision on Egan, which we were perhaps not prepared to do. Godfrey ceased to be available. So, again, who did we expect within our budget? Who signed better? Burnley again signed some European random, Everton signed nobody, Forest signed no defenders and let their best defensive foil, Mangala, leave. Holgate is probably, alongside Davies, the most experienced Premier League player we have bought across 3 PL campaigns.

Brereton-Diaz has looked excellent and was out of reach in the summer.

We also fetched in a guy who was highly rated and at 18 can play both CB and RB, so I dare say RCB if we needed future succession planning.

We tied down so far Osula, Brooks, Seriki, Hackford and Buyabu with the promise of more to follow.

We offloaded Neal, Dewhurst and Potter whose progress had stalled, and we moved on Fleck’s decent wages too, sent Troare to play some football and curtailed the unsuccessful loan of Luke Thomas. We then found loans for Seriki, Sachdev, Buyabu, Boyes, Maguire and Hackford.

For me it’s a 7/10. We got players in positions we wanted and we didn’t offload any key players. We placed some young guys to develop them and we trimmed the wage bill of players who may have not gotten minutes. A sensible window, if not an eye catching one some may have unrealistically hoped for!
Best post of the thread

Did Forest fool us?
Let us think we can get Worrall then withdraw him at the last minute leaving us with Holgate as our only option and no time to pursue anyone else.

Because depending on how you answer it, either you are unrealistic of the club’s finances and overall situation or you are not.

Wilder wanted 3 or 4. He got 4 new players, 3 of which you’d definitely say can be seen as first team options. So it’s not like we didn’t meet expectations in terms of doing something.

Inauspicious start granted, but a keeper from a European powerhouse who has International Caps, for a reasonable fee. We knew we needed a new keeper. So what were we expecting? As a gauge, Palace wanted 15m for Sam Johnstone. So what was a realistic sure-fire alternative that we were expecting? Forest spent 8m on a 31 year old just yesterday.

We just signed Mason Holgate on loan. He’s had a loan that didn’t work out at Saints. Before that he’s racked up 126 PL appearances, 149 in total at Everton and starred under Ancelotti. At 1.87m and having played right back, centre back and defensive midfield, he’s the identikit of a player you’d need to replace Basham. It also means we have not been bullied to commit funds on a perm we might not have wanted to. It also means Anel will play more at CB, where he has done better against higher quality opposition. So who did we expect? Souttar is out of favour with Leicester, not played for his club since October and already failed to nail a spot in a relegation campaign. Until the last minute, Worrall wasn’t available for loan and it may have meant rushing a decision on Egan, which we were perhaps not prepared to do. Godfrey ceased to be available. So, again, who did we expect within our budget? Who signed better? Burnley again signed some European random, Everton signed nobody, Forest signed no defenders and let their best defensive foil, Mangala, leave. Holgate is probably, alongside Davies, the most experienced Premier League player we have bought across 3 PL campaigns.

We also fetched in a guy who was highly rated and at 18 can play both CB and RB, so I dare say RCB if we needed future succession planning.

We tied down so far Osula, Brooks, Seriki, Hackford and Buyabu with the promise of more to follow.

We offloaded Neal, Dewhurst and Potter whose progress had stalled, and we moved on Fleck’s decent wages too, sent Troare to play some football and curtailed the unsuccessful loan of Luke Thomas. We then found loans for Seriki, Sachdev, Buyabu, Boyes, Maguire and Hackford.

For me it’s a 7/10. We got players in positions we wanted and we didn’t offload any key players. We placed some young guys to develop them and we trimmed the wage bill of players who may have not gotten minutes. A sensible window, if not an eye catching one some may have unrealistically hoped for!
Spot on. We are having to try and be sensible. Sorting out the young talent and getting some protection on them is a good thing. It’s about shaping this team and squad into some sort of unit that will be competitive next year. I think it has some good potential. Diaz would be a huge upgrade an MCB but I don’t think we can afford him in the summer but we should be able to secure a sensible experienced striker to give us some experience if MCB leaves which is looking likely. Might as well get behind them until the end of the season , go on holiday and return in August fresh in the hope of getting to the promised land again ! UTB

That’s the Ying to my Yang - thanks for cheering me up , I was in a stinking mood

Did Forest fool us?
Let us think we can get Worrall then withdraw him at the last minute leaving us with Holgate as our only option and no time to pursue anyone else.
Look on the bright side. We could have ended up with Worrall !!

Reactions: 10p

Lots of delusional people on here,they are usually the unhappiest ones,
the pessimistic ones,it’s ”only gonna get worse ones” “next year we’ll struggle ones”
they simply expect too much when peanuts is generally what we trade in.
Short term success can be had on a shoestring but it’s rare and fleeting.
Rich owners combined with good management is where sustained success is.
However your post is refreshingly realistic,reflecting a club with a hand to mouth existence with an owner that can’t afford it.
That’s the reality.

Did Forest fool us?
I think it is the other way around.

We wanted to loan Worrall and they thought we had few options so could force us into a sale.

By the time they wised up and realised we did have options, we were already using our loan spot for Holgate and they now have to keep paying a player who is out of favour because they were too greedy and misjudged our stance.

All in all it is down to that sort of misjudgment they find themselves in the dock for FFP!

Did Coulibaly eventually move ?
Wilder seemed quite adamant that he would but nothing has been confirmed

I meant this one Lol

We brought someone in to shore up the defence, we sent someone out that was on a good wage and didn't play, we also loaned some young talent to get them ready for next season.
The window hasn't been bad at all as far as United go!

Good god man, that’s a very well thought out post. What on Earth are you doing in this room?

Back
Top Bottom