Dave-Bassett

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yes I think I will get checked out too , mates had it got treatment and he's fine now ! Myself I never go to the doctors , but need to get a check up !

You do right wavy. Can be a silent killer.
I’ve already had a word with my lad about making sure he gets checked out at or before he’s 50 due to my diagnosis even tho that’s years away for him. There’s occasions where you don’t get any symptoms so best to take matters into your own hands.

The good thing with Prostate cancer if you can call it a good thing, is that you catch it early enough and it’s very treatable

I was diagnosed with it in 2021 and I am in the monitoring phase as it is contained within the prostate.

Blood test every 3 months followed by a hospital appointment. Next MRI due in April
Well good luck with that mate .Dont worry my dad had it for 25 years and it was NOT that he died of ,

I was diagnosed with it in 2021 and I am in the monitoring phase as it is contained within the prostate.

Blood test every 3 months followed by a hospital appointment. Next MRI due in April
Best of luck mate, hope everything is okay

Bassett - best ever manager we'll ever have in my view. Some of those signings were just genius! Bob Booker, Alan Roberts, Deano, Agana, Bryson, Gannon, Bradshaw, Gage, Gayle, Beesley, they all gave amazing service and largely for relative peanuts. Taylor was the brains behind much of the tactics under Harry I believe. The set pieces in particular. They'll never be another Dave Bassett in my view. Saying that, love Hecky, what a job he's doing! What was/is great about Harry is there's no ego, no bull, just says it as it is and players loved him for it.
1676143260872.png

Jostein Flo says Taylor was one of the best coaches he had.

View attachment 153648

Jostein Flo says Taylor was one of the best coaches he had.
I've never heard anything from Flo since he left us; I'd love to hear how he rated his time with us. I seem to recall you said that his Engliush isn't great but he could be translated through Jan-Aage?! It's ironic that Fjortoft and Flo both came to these shores in the summer of 1993 and if I'm been really honest I wish we'd signed Jan-Aage than Flo! I wonder if we were ever interested in Fjortoft as he could have played a similar role to Deane and probably to better effect that Flo who despite his height never seemed totally comfortable with the role as target man centre forward. I think he played right forward for Norway?

All the best there too fella.

I've never heard anything from Flo since he left us; I'd love to hear how he rated his time with us. I seem to recall you said that his Engliush isn't great but he could be translated through Jan-Aage?!
Flo and Jonas Wirmola were invited to open a store at Meadowhall in 1993. SUFC told Paul Beesley to go there too to act as an interpreter for the media. Wirmola, who speaks good English, had to do the interpreting because the reporters struggled to understand Beesley's scouse accent!

In about 2005 I went down to Plymouth to see us in a 0-0 draw. Taylor was on the train, he was scouting us for Reading I think, and we spent the trip down chatting with him, lovely bloke.

We saw him on the platform on the way back and while we chatted his phone rang and it was Bassett. Taylor told him he was with some Unitedites, we told Taylor to tell Bassett we said hello, and he said: “Dave, they say you’re a wanker…(he turns to us) He says you’re right” Then he wandered off to chat to Bassett in private and the first thing he said was “Nah, we were shit today” I was touched that after all those years he still thought of us as “we”.

I've never heard anything from Flo since he left us; I'd love to hear how he rated his time with us. I seem to recall you said that his Engliush isn't great but he could be translated through Jan-Aage?! It's ironic that Fjortoft and Flo both came to these shores in the summer of 1993 and if I'm been really honest I wish we'd signed Jan-Aage than Flo! I wonder if we were ever interested in Fjortoft as he could have played a similar role to Deane and probably to better effect that Flo who despite his height never seemed totally comfortable with the role as target man centre forward. I think he played right forward for Norway?
Flo played his best club football after leaving us. He became tougher and better at dealing with centre halves as he got into his mid 30s.

He did play on the right for Norway, but his role was primarily a target man, even in that position. Being positioned on the right he was normally marked by not huge left backs and it also gave him a better angle for his leap when balls were hit to him diagonally.

Flo played his best club football after leaving us. He became tougher and better at dealing with centre halves as he got into his mid 30s.

He did play on the right for Norway, but his role was primarily a target man, even in that position. Being positioned on the right he was normally marked by not huge left backs and it also gave him a better angle for his leap when balls were hit to him diagonally.
I was disappointed that Bjornebye was picked ahead of Nilsen during the 1994 World Cup but I suppose it made sense cos Bjornebye was better at hitting diagonal balls?

I was disappointed that Bjornebye was picked ahead of Nilsen during the 1994 World Cup but I suppose it made sense cos Bjornebye was better at hitting diagonal balls?

I must refer to my 2015 answer 😁

1676373073067.png

I think you're right though, Bjørnebye was thought to have a bit better left foot, and generally got more assists than Nilsen.

I was diagnosed in 2000 but the cancer was restricted to within the prostate, my PSA was stable and I was monitored until 2011, by which time the PSA number was creeping up. The doctors felt it was time for action and I was treated with radiotherapy, which got rid of the cancer and I've been fine ever since. The message is that if you are diagnosed early, prostate cancer is curable. If you leave it until the cancer has spread into the surrounding tissues it is more difficult to treat.

Flo used to attend reserve matches as a spectator (as I did) and I chatted to him a few times. He was a very friendly, approachable guy. We had a Norwegian student staying with us at the time (he was doing a research project at the Univerisity's department of engineeering) and Flo was his hero, so I took him along to a reserve match so the two could meet up. Flo suggested that maybe they could meet up for a drink some time but the student was completely star-struck and could barely utter a word!

Back
Top Bottom