Danny Wilson - Still Work in Progress

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Fiery Blade

Reaction score
Am I the only one not to have got carried away with the Blades performances this season
An improvement - yes! but lets look at things without red and white striped glasses!!!
We are now playing in the Third Division with home crowds more than double most other teams in that competition
Yes we are top at the moment after 7 games - Bury, Yeovil, Oldham Brentford and Walsall wins with draws at Scunthorpe (against 10 men) and Tranmere (against the run of play) a cup draw at Hartlepool and a win against Division Four Burton Albion.
Hardly heady heights
Get real, we have the highest wage budget in the league bar none, no one wanted any of our so called 'Superstars' - if the likes of Evans, Creswell, Simonsen, Monty and Quinny can't perform at this level then God help them!!
Yesterday we struggled to draw against a side with 10 men and honestly if Creswell and Porter are our prime strikeforce then words fail me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Wilson has made the right noises and got off to a reasonable start,but, theres a long way to go! lets look at the situation at Christmas and then we can with some confidence give an opinion on how good he is!!

Given the utterly putrid heap of garbage we were served up by largely the same set of players last season... Wilson deserves credit so far.

No-one is saying we're up, or we're the finished article. A couple of injuries to McGuire and Collins and we're deep in trouble I reckon. We'll need a lot of luck to stay where we are.

I don't see people getting carried away and nor should they.

Given the forecasts of how we would perform in the opening 7 games (by Blades fans, not others) I'd say it's a more than useful start. You can only beat what has been put in front of you and being unbeaten to this point is better than most expected (I thought we'd have lost at least one league game by now).

I always say you get some idea of how things are shaping up after 10 games, by the turn of the year things are more or less sorted as to who will challenge for top 2, play-offs and battle the drop. So far, so good!

Am I the only one not to have got carried away with the Blades performances this season
An improvement - yes! but lets look at things without red and white striped glasses!!!
We are now playing in the Third Division with home crowds more than double most other teams in that competition
Yes we are top at the moment after 7 games - Bury, Yeovil, Oldham Brentford and Walsall wins with draws at Scunthorpe (against 10 men) and Tranmere (against the run of play) a cup draw at Hartlepool and a win against Division Four Burton Albion.
Hardly heady heights
Get real, we have the highest wage budget in the league bar none, no one wanted any of our so called 'Superstars' - if the likes of Evans, Creswell, Simonsen, Monty and Quinny can't perform at this level then God help them!!
Yesterday we struggled to draw against a side with 10 men and honestly if Creswell and Porter are our prime strikeforce then words fail me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Wilson has made the right noises and got off to a reasonable start,but, theres a long way to go! lets look at the situation at Christmas and then we can with some confidence give an opinion on how good he is!!

A few observations:

1. Not Just an Improvement, a MASSIVE improvement. Not only in our effectiveness, but in flair, style and togetherness. A HUGE improvement to me.
2. yes we have double most other teams attendances, but attendances mean sweet fuck all if you don't win games. Look at Bradford City in L2 for example.
3. You can list teams in a condescending manor saying, 'oh, its only bury, oh its only brentford' but look, we are in league 1! It's not like we have all the 'massive teams' left to play. Our next few consist of Charlton, Colchester, Huddersfield, MK Dons and Wycombe. Hardly Man Utd are they?
4. We have the highest wage bill in the league yes. So, with the highest wage bill you would expect to be top of the league. oh, wait a minute, look where we are!!!
We struggled to a draw, well, I'm not sure i would say that, we absolutely dominated the second half, and on another day we would have won comfortably.
5. We haven't even lost a game! Ofcourse there's reason to get excited. You talk about how we got a point 'against the run of play' against Tranmere, but is that not the mark of a good team? A team that can get points out of a game that they don't deserve to/

We have every reason to be excited at this moment of time, I haven't seen us competing at the right end of the table for 6 years now, and the way in which we are going about it excites me very much. I think Wilson deserves every credit, and I for one have every expectation that we will be in the top 6 (minimum) come May.

Am I the only one not to have got carried away with the Blades performances this season.

Before you take delight in pissing on the firework Fiery, is there anyone who has actually got carried away with our performances and results? I haven't seen it on here, or anywhere else for that matter. There is some cautious optimism but no-one is getting carried away as you seem to suggest...

I am quietly grinning to myself.
I predicted we would walk this league and I've seen nothing to change my mind so far.
Accept it, we are going up as champions.
enjoy.

To me, it just feels like a very enjoyable season so far, I'm looking forward to going to games again. Its been good to watch for the first time in years and after what we've had to put up with, that'll do for now. We're Blades, so we naturally expect the bubble to burst at some point, but maybe it won't this time.......

Before you take delight in pissing on the firework Fiery, is there anyone who has actually got carried away with our performances and results? I haven't seen it on here, or anywhere else for that matter. There is some cautious optimism but no-one is getting carried away as you seem to suggest...

Not pissing on anyone's fireworks Dunc! Just being realistic

Wilson's buys have yet to perform - not impressed with Flynn, Porter and too early for Mendez -Laing , Lescinel
Collins, Doyle are performing at their right level
Qunny has been outstanding, but he did play far better towards the end of last season

All I am saying is that we are playing poorer teams this year perhaps thats why we look a bit better !!

Wilson promising start - no better no worse!

I think you're entirely correct to not get carried away fiery. I feel the same, but Im enjoying the excellent start and the attitude change at the club. I still can't help feel that it will all go wrong, but I'm happy to continue to enjoy the current situation.

We've not even played 10 games yet so there should be a big block on getting carried away. That said, the start we've made is better than I thought Danny wilson could produce, but were up there where we should be.

One thing is for sure. I'd rather be where we are than anyone else in the division, but I'd rather we were in a division above.

I'm just grateful that we're trying to play the right way, another season watching the dross we've become used to in League 1 would've been very hard to accept. The next 7 games will be tougher than the first 7 but i don't think Wilson has done or said nothing wrong so far.

Given the vitriol of abuse and doubt placed on the appointment of Wilson, I think we have made an excellent start to the campaign. I imagine the message boards would have been full of 'sack Wilson' threads if we were languishing in mid-table.

Yes, there is a long way to go, and we don't have lots of options, but our squad is bigger and more capable than most at this level and it is shaping up to be a good season with a promotion push.

Norwich City lost their first game 7-1 at this level only two seasons ago and now they're in the Premier League. Not saying we will achieve that, but on balance, our start has been good, the noises coming out of the club, and Wilson's interviews have started to win me over (and others I dare say) as he steadily goes about trying to get us back into the Championship.

Considering he was given the drivers job of what was a train wreck he's got us back on the rails and built up a nlce head of steam. All he has to do is keep us on track.

Considering he was given the drivers job of what was a train wreck he's got us back on the rails and built up a nlce head of steam. All he has to do is keep us on track.

We aren't far off but the squad's a bit thin and we've no pace up top.

I don't think we're true promotion material. If he gets us up then it's a top job he's done.

UTB

Thanks for the sage advice fiery
I certainly won't be getting carried away now ive read your post
Anything else we should know ? Like wrap up warm when it's cold ?always remember to wear trousers to work? Don't eat raw sewage?

I agree, I am so sick of winning nearly every game against these shitheads. I feel I should say sorry to the oppositions fans after for the fact we are better than them.

some people on here can never be satisfied with utd.
were 3rd division now-not premier-not div 2-were division 3 because we deserve to be where we are.
Weve played awfully for 5 years now-crap football to the eye-poor managerial appointments-poor running of the club overall.
But i do believe we are turning the corner on the field-the league table does`nt lie.the hoof style of play has gone,we are more patient,play from the back,look more disciplined than ive seen for a while.
When we are playing poorly and losing-then i`ll start complaining,cos thats what most people expect on here-they cant wait to go for the throat.
But while weve a settled team,and still unbeaten,and got a monkey of our backs at scunthorpe,and an ever present fantastic support,lets enjoy the time whilst where at the summit-it may last all season i hope.but if it doesnt it gives some people summat to moan about.

were 3rd division now-not premier-not div 2-were division 3 because we deserve to be where we are.
Weve played awfully for 5 years now-crap football to the eye-poor managerial appointments-poor running of the club overall.
But i do believe we are turning the corner on the field-the league table does`nt lie.the hoof style of play has gone,we are more patient,play from the back,look more disciplined than ive seen for a while.
When we are playing poorly and losing-then i`ll start complaining,cos thats what most people expect on here-they cant wait to go for the throat.
But while weve a settled team,and still unbeaten,and got a monkey of our backs at scunthorpe,and an ever present fantastic support,lets enjoy the time whilst where at the summit-it may last all season i hope.but if it doesnt it gives some people summat to moan about.

The general gist of the thread has been one of posters refuting the OP who was ever so slightly negative. Where do you get "most people on here" from?

UTB

Hardly heady heights

I know there are some fans whose glass is always half empty.

Yours seems to be bone dry Fiery.

There is no reason to get carried away. That is completely different to the question of whether Danny Wilson has done well so far - in that aspect he absolutely has. There's a real danger in looking at this start and completely forgetting the situation he came in to. We have some players from last year that had barely won any games in a United shirt - Collins, Maguire, Collins etc. And collectively a squad that would have been hugely low on confidence. Yes, we're in a lower league but there is a huge danger of starting a season with a hangover from the relegation the previous season as plenty of othe clubs have done, and Wilson has so far ensured this hasn't happened.

Let's not get carried away with the start, but let's not also talk down what Danny Wilson has done so far.

There was a play off final in there so I wouldn't be quite so quick to say everything was shite. Blackwell (as much as there are those out there would burn the man) steadied an out of control ship and almost got us up in spite of having all his best players sold from under him. The season after was when the rot set in and when Blackwell wasn't let go at the end of that season is when the single biggest mistake was made in our recent history. Sacking him 3 games or whatever into the new season compounded the fracture. I guess we are still paying him now by the way.

But in essence we are doing as well as anyone could have expected. Can you not just take that away from it Fiery? Nothing is won in August we all know that but having been shat on for a while now its nice to see a light at the end of the tunnel, even if it is the 8.47 to Kings Cross coming the other way.

Wilson has worked wonders given that 15 minutes into the second half against Walsall there were those at the back of the Kop calling him a Pig and saying he should walk. He plays nice football, we win games (doesn't matter what the level is). He seems to have a plan B when things aren't going right and he keeps himself to himself on transfer dealings (anyone remember Howard and Lita signing fiascos?)

So far, so good. I'm contented rather than ecstatic. But FFS let people have some joy, its hard enough supporting SUFC and knowing the rugs about to get pulled without telling everyone that not to smile.

There was a play off final in there so I wouldn't be quite so quick to say everything was shite. Blackwell (as much as there are those out there would burn the man) steadied an out of control ship and almost got us up in spite of having all his best players sold from under him. The season after was when the rot set in and when Blackwell wasn't let go at the end of that season is when the single biggest mistake was made in our recent history. Sacking him 3 games or whatever into the new season compounded the fracture. I guess we are still paying him now by the way.

But in essence we are doing as well as anyone could have expected. Can you not just take that away from it Fiery? Nothing is won in August we all know that but having been shat on for a while now its nice to see a light at the end of the tunnel, even if it is the 8.47 to Kings Cross coming the other way.

Wilson has worked wonders given that 15 minutes into the second half against Walsall there were those at the back of the Kop calling him a Pig and saying he should walk. He plays nice football, we win games (doesn't matter what the level is). He seems to have a plan B when things aren't going right and he keeps himself to himself on transfer dealings (anyone remember Howard and Lita signing fiascos?)

So far, so good. I'm contented rather than ecstatic. But FFS let people have some joy, its hard enough supporting SUFC and knowing the rugs about to get pulled without telling everyone that not to smile.

Great post - just one disagreement. For me, the biggest mistake in our recent history, and possibly entire history, was the appointment of Bryan Robson.

UTB

The teams that won this very poor league last season are now one and two in the Championship.

Don't be fooled. DW has made a first-class start and, being the level-headed guy he is, he'll be the very last person to get carried away. As said above, the most pleasing thing is that we are trying to play proper football.

Well done Danny. Truly a breath of fresh air. Good luck on Tuesday lads. I'll be roaring you on from sunny Italia. Maybe the crowd will give DW a bit of a cheer at last?

Agree with most of that, but the line of having his best players sold doesn't really work for me. He still was given on of the highest wage bills in the league and it is that that we are still paying for.

Good poost Bladesway. As with Lenners (though with alltogether different circumstances) Fiery is having to work hard to find an angle to criticise due to what is happening on the pitch.

Great post - just one disagreement. For me, the biggest mistake in our recent history, and possibly entire history, was the appointment of Bryan Robson.

UTB

Agreed.

The teams that won this very poor league last season are now one and two in the Championship.

Don't be fooled. DW has made a first-class start and, being the level-headed guy he is, he'll be the very last person to get carried away. As said above, the most pleasing thing is that we are trying to play proper football.

Well done Danny. Truly a breath of fresh air. Good luck on Tuesday lads. I'll be roaring you on from sunny Italia. Maybe the crowd will give DW a bit of a cheer at last?

Ah il bello gioco ha arrivato a Bramall Lane. Finalmente. Calcio merviglioso. Danny e dio. Bellissimo :D

Divertiti Italia amico :)

I think you're entirely correct to not get carried away fiery. I feel the same, but Im enjoying the excellent start and the attitude change at the club. I still can't help feel that it will all go wrong, but I'm happy to continue to enjoy the current situation.

We've not even played 10 games yet so there should be a big block on getting carried away. That said, the start we've made is better than I thought Danny wilson could produce, but were up there where we should be.

One thing is for sure. I'd rather be where we are than anyone else in the division, but I'd rather we were in a division above.

waffle, waffle, U-turn, U-turn etc etc etc. Top Stuff Swiss. I swear I read it as 'I still can't help but hope it will all go wrong'. I wish Micky was still in charge - stability is the key!

Good poost Bladesway. As with Lenners (though with alltogether different circumstances) Fiery is having to work hard to find an angle to criticise due to what is happening on the pitch.

Not looking for any angle to criticise just being realistic and not getting carried away with some better performances against some inferior opposition
Obviously, the confidence is much higher than last year and I believe that Mr Wilson has brought into the side a sense of belief but, this Tuesday may illustrate how much improved we are as Huddersfield are a good side and will be there or there abouts in the shake up!

you can spot the difference between blades fans and owls fans a mile off
theyve only won games at home , only won 2 div 1 away games throughout the whole of 2011
we are unbeaten
yet some of our fans think well implode and be shit yet owls fans are talking about being in the prem in 24 months

we have the biggest pessimists in british football watching us
it holds us back as the doubt pervades and gets in the psyche of the club
just as things start to go well
lets all be miserable twats and drag ourselves down
its worked before

imagesCAV6LHX3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom