Damage limitation time.....or go for it?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

derfblade.3

Reaction score
Sit back with 10 behind the ball to try and prevent more hammerings or go for it and still get hammerings.
I personally would go for having a go and pressing the opposition even at the risk of getting gobbled up.
Better to be seen to try and win rather then waiting for the inevitable by sitting back.

Get young lads blooded, make the ones looking out for themselves sit on the bench..

For me the scores don't matter, let's get the young uns used to playing together regularly, bring on the old first teamers like norwood as subs when they tire...

Avoid humiliations at all costs and target the odd games where we can hope to pick some points up and edge towards the magical 20 mark

Let's start Robbo upfront and kick fuck out of everyone, play that dirty people forget how shit we are.
Should play Anel upfront tbh, allegedly his preferred position and he's offering nowt at the back.

We don't want any unwanted records attaching to us, no more than the stats people can already dredge up on their in game graphics to embarrass us with.

Finish above Burnley and at least preserve a small shred of dignity and show up Vincent Kompany, Sander Berge, Burnley and all the money they wasted on being even more shit than we are.

Sit back with 10 behind the ball to try and prevent more hammerings or go for it and still get hammerings.
I personally would go for having a go and pressing the opposition even at the risk of getting gobbled up.
Better to be seen to try and win rather then waiting for the inevitable by sitting back.
Whatever happens we will lose and we will complain.

Young lads all day long.

There's two arguments to the situation and both are credible:
  • As we are, play the regulars to keep them match fit with most of them having a big part to play in the Championship.
  • Play the young lads so they get some deserved game time after signing long term contracts and see what they can do at this level, ahead of a level below next season.
Simon Jordan's response to the mention of the younger lads being called upon was something along the lines of "Oh, you're going to play the kids now and let them get bashed about week in week out and ruin their confidence instead of you current "broken" players?" - But he's a twat and gets an erection every time he can slate Wilder.

My two cents to that argument:
  1. I fail to see how young lads with ambition who will run about and are clearly thought highly of at the club will do worse than 5-0 losses every weekend.
  2. They'll be chomping at the bit to get game time and show what they can do to cement a starting line-up call. Their confidence, you'd hope, would show on the pitch just as it did when Brookes was called upon.
  3. I think a lot of the fans who stayed for the second half on Saturday were there to see the young lads get a chance.
We can't play to button down the hatches because our hatches are made of sawdust. There's nothing to lose now and personally, and much of the footballing world would at least give us some plaudits for attacking than sulking in our own box when picking the 4th out of our own net.

Brookes, Arblaster & Osula should at the very least get a good 30 minutes of football on Saturday for me. I wouldn't even mind Blacker and One starting.
If anything will break their confidence it would be coming on for 10 minutes at the end of a game they can't change the result of.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.

Go for what? …Scoring a goal would be a nice distraction.

I'd try and go for a mix of the younger lads and the more trusted lieutenants with a bit of character about 'em (not that there's many given the injuries). Get Osborn to left back and Baldock to right back to try and plug those leaks. Get some youth and energy in the centre of midfield.

Brookes, Arblaster & Osula should at the very least get a good 30 minutes of football on Saturday for me. I wouldn't even mind Blacker and One starting.
If anything will break their confidence it would be coming on for 10 minutes at the end of a game they can't change the result of.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.
That's it. Sticks two fingers up to the experienced players who will have the choice of either downing tools or proving Wilder wrong.

He'll soon know who is up for the fight and who needs binning off.

Bringing them on for a run out when we've been pumped is pointless, might as well chuck shirts out to members of the public for what use it does.

There's an argument about physicality with Brookes and Arblaster in midfield, but after watching us at the lane against Bournemouth, Souza and Hamer won't even get close to them. Semenyo, Kluivert and Tavernier will be their attacking 3 behind Solanke and I honestly don't think we'd lay a glove on them, they're too fast and technical. It's more about tracking them back into the box which both Souza and Hamer have proven time and again they're either too slow to achieve or lazy.

I'd have Baldock, Anel, Robbo and Osborn at the back.
Arblaster, Davies and Brookes in midfield.
Macca and Osula behind
McBurnie.

McBurnie will be useful against Solanke and Senesi in the air at corners, and despite being sick of him chucking himself to the ground at the top which referees have clearly caught on to, he may be able to hold it up and play Macca and Osula in a few times.

Arblaster and Brookes can hopefully provide some real quality and be able to play out from that press.

Nothing can really done about that back-line unless we have some 6 foot 4 brick shithouse in the u18s who fancies it.

It's purely about trying something a bit different this next match and I genuinely think Arsenal may have made Wilder's mind up about a few players. That line-up isn't perfect, but clearly our usual 11 isn't either. The travelling fans deserve more than a low block, hoping to get to 60 mins level and chucking some pace on for a result that doesn't even matter. Burnley gave it a right go against Bournemouth in the last game, which I watched, and the 2-0 win for the Cherry's was definitely not a comfortable win.

If I see "Chris Wilder makes 5 changes against the loss at home to Arsenal" on Saturday, I won't bat an eye lid. The usual starting 11 doesn't look like they've ever played with each other before with passes going out for throw-ins or to the other team. At least these young'ns have had years playing with each other in the academy and dare I say may play with a bit more flair, quality, spirit and fight.

We've tried sitting back all season and defending on our own box.. it's not worked our so far. High intensity and high press go all out my option as we have nothing left to lose, but we don't have the players for it, so would be just as bad lol

Doesn't matter we get battered either way 😂 😂

Young lads all day long.

• As we are, play the regulars to keep them match fit with most of them having a big part to play in the Championship.
  • Play the young lads so they get some deserved game time after signing long term contracts and see what they can do at this level, ahead of a level below next season.
Simon Jordan's response to the mention of the younger lads being called upon was something along the lines of "Oh, you're going to play the kids now and let them get bashed about week in week out and ruin their confidence instead of you current "broken" players?" - But he's a twat and gets an erection every time he can slate Wilder.

1. I fail to see how young lads with ambition who will run about and are clearly thought highly of at the club will do worse than 5-0 losses every weekend.
  2. They'll be chomping at the bit to get game time and show what they can do to cement a starting line-up call. Their confidence, you'd hope, would show on the pitch just as it did when Brookes was called upon.
  3. I think a lot of the fans who stayed for the second half on Saturday were there to see the young lads get a chance.
We can't play to button down the hatches because our hatches are made of sawdust. There's nothing to lose now and personally, and much of the footballing world would at least give us some plaudits for attacking than sulking in our own box when picking the 4th out of our own net.

For a team whose Chairman is tighter than a Gnat’s chuff, there is a chance here to save some money and we should take it.

If Brooks, Arblaster, Osula, Peck can show some encouragement then it may well mean we have to waste less money in the summer. There are some players we can salvage for the drop off which is the Championship and the fewer opportunities of the recruitment team spinning the transfer tomboys, the better, quite frankly.

It will be another kick the can down the road exercise. We may as well embrace that. We will hope to bounce back and then ideally have some more investment to get less battered in 12 months.

Either way, let’s see what Arblaster and co can do.

Young lads all day long.

We have others knocking on the door, Hampson for one, and the young Brazilian who has some of Illimans ability , let's see what they also have to offer.
We have to be careful though and Wilder and his coaches know this !! Dipping a toe here and there will be good ! ,experiencing a tanking will be bad if the goals are flying in while they are playing.Being a sub won't have the same effect on confidence so I expect a lot more of that.
Championship is a tough division so can't expect kids to carry us to promotion. A mixture of them.,new recruits and players who survive the culll this summer should make us competitive.
It's been a disasterus season true! Will still have a fair number of players who can do the business in the championship ! Wilder if he survives will have the task of bringing it together,get it right and we can have another crack at it.spending a few years treading water is not the way to go we have to be at it again from the off and not start ill prepared like this horrible season.

I reckon we need to concentrate on being really difficult to beat.
With our current playing staff, this means playing 5 at the back.
Every player needs reminding they have to concentrate and work their socks off for the entire game. Any players failing to do this needs subbing, bollocking and dropping.
CW needs to get some pride and passion back into the side.
In the unlikely event we are still in games after 70/80 minutes, we can then be a bit more adventurous.

Not good enough to keep it tight. Not creative or clinical enough to go for it. Do whatever is required to finish above Burnley.

We don’t need to set up in some kamikaze manner but the point for me is far simpler.

Neither going after a team nor aiming to keep it tight should involve failure to do the absolute basics that we were all taught as a child.

Track your runners, pick up your men, win your battles.

We are failing on such basic fundamentals and that is as much down to professionalism and organisation than it is the exceptional ability needed to perform eye catching stuff.

Just go in Saturday and concentrate. Concentrate on winning your battles, making decisions with a higher percentage success rate and concentrate on the basics and take responsibility and accountability for your role in the team.

There's an argument about physicality with Brookes and Arblaster in midfield, but after watching us at the lane against Bournemouth, Souza and Hamer won't even get close to them. Semenyo, Kluivert and Tavernier will be their attacking 3 behind Solanke and I honestly don't think we'd lay a glove on them, they're too fast and technical. It's more about tracking them back into the box which both Souza and Hamer have proven time and again they're either too slow to achieve or lazy.

I'd have Baldock, Anel, Robbo and Osborn at the back.
Arblaster, Davies and Brookes in midfield.
Macca and Osula behind
McBurnie.

McBurnie will be useful against Solanke and Senesi in the air at corners, and despite being sick of him chucking himself to the ground at the top which referees have clearly caught on to, he may be able to hold it up and play Macca and Osula in a few times.

Arblaster and Brookes can hopefully provide some real quality and be able to play out from that press.

Nothing can really done about that back-line unless we have some 6 foot 4 brick shithouse in the u18s who fancies it.

It's purely about trying something a bit different this next match and I genuinely think Arsenal may have made Wilder's mind up about a few players. That line-up isn't perfect, but clearly our usual 11 isn't either. The travelling fans deserve more than a low block, hoping to get to 60 mins level and chucking some pace on for a result that doesn't even matter. Burnley gave it a right go against Bournemouth in the last game, which I watched, and the 2-0 win for the Cherry's was definitely not a comfortable win.

If I see "Chris Wilder makes 5 changes against the loss at home to Arsenal" on Saturday, I won't bat an eye lid. The usual starting 11 doesn't look like they've ever played with each other before with passes going out for throw-ins or to the other team. At least these young'ns have had years playing with each other in the academy and dare I say may play with a bit more flair, quality, spirit and fight.
Agree with the sentiment and lineup with the exception of McPub. If that useless cnut plays another game for us, it'll be one too many.

In a game that's getting faster and more athletic by the day, why we insist on playing the slowest moat cumbersome player still amazes me. It's like we think it's 1985 and a big lump is going to be effective...

Get young lads blooded, make the ones looking out for themselves sit on the bench..

For me the scores don't matter, let's get the young uns used to playing together regularly, bring on the old first teamers like norwood as subs when they tire...
Totally agree. Those looking to move on with another club will have to watch from any seat in the stadium

Thierry Henry made a great point before our game when he talked about how teams set up against the likes of Man City. When teams sit back with 11 players behind the ball, it literally allows Man City to throw all outfield players towards the edge of our box, suffocating us.

Our players are so slow, we can't do anything with the ball on the counter attack to make a difference. If we left 2 strikers on the halfway line when defending corners for example - defending teams would need at least 4 players back. I think us sitting so deep and defending so negatively is killing us.

We're not catching anyone offside because we play so deep. We did so well in the first prem season because we pressed teams high up with a high defensive line. It gave us so much more space to pass the ball around once we received the ball

Young players need a good education, dropping them in to this shitstorm will do more damage than good.
If we want to be kind to our youth players let them go elsewhere and learn how to play the game properly

Back
Top Bottom