Daily Mail, Sheffield United dig at ex manager

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hagansbootlaces

Reaction score
Have to admit, I had not read the clubs resolution of thanks to Hecky, presumed it was just that, so after reading the following comment in the DM, I did go and read it, cant find thinly veiled digs anywhere, just read it as facts/statistics.

A thinly-veiled dig at former manager Chris Wilder by Sheffield United in the form of a bizarre ‘resolution of thanks’ to temporary replacement Paul Heckingbottom from the club’s board has not gone down well.

The Saudi-owned Blades posted a ‘unanimous resolution’ on their website which, among other jibes, pointed out that Heckingbottom won one match fewer in 11 matches than Wilder managed in 27. Given the pair are good friends, it is unlikely either side will have appreciated the move.

Meanwhile, sources have claimed that Alan Knill, Wilder’s assistant, is being forced to come into work each day and sit in an office in the hope that the club can ask for compensation should Wilder — linked with West Bromwich Albion — take him to his new employers.

Club insiders, however, claim Knill is a valued member of staff and will work closely with new boss Slavisa Jokanovic.

In just took it for what it claimed to be. A thank you to PH for his service to the club when stepping into the hot seat. Nothing more and I couldn't see anything which wasnt correct or factual. 'Thinly-veiled dig' my arse. As for Knilly being 'dragged in to' sit at a desk'... also probably a load of bollox and he could very well just be on gardening leave, but if true what's the problem? He's still a paid employee of the the club (probably paid very well) so what's wrong with the club asking him to turn up for work? He's happy enough to take the regular fat wage for seemingly not doing a great deal atm.

I see it as nothing more than the Daily Fail trying to shit stir. If anyone including CW finds offence in it then crack on, I for one don't care tbh. I care more about the complete arsehole of a season that SUFC and its fans have just had to suffer by poor management this last 12 months and the failure to change tactics when it was clearly apparent that things were not working and we were setting records for the worst top flight start in history.

As fans we could find insult in the ex manager performing weak as piss for 12 months, jumping ship when the going gets tough, getting paid an extortionate amount of money (for the average Joe on the street) for the failure, and then going to work for sports broadcasters whilst we live with the mess left behind. I don't find offence though as that's just the way it happened and no one planned for it to be that way. Some people could find insult if they were put in a padded cell by themselves with only a mirror to keep them company.

Last edited:
In just took it for what it claimed to be. A thank you to PH for his service to the club when stepping into the hot seat. Nothing more and I couldn't see anything which wasnt correct or factual. 'Thinly-veiled dig' my arse. As for Knilly being 'dragged in to' sit at a desk'... also probably a load of bollox and he could very well just be on gardening leave, but if true what's the problem? He's still a paid employee of the the club (probably paid very well) so what's wrong with the club asking him to turn up for work? He's happy enough to take the regular fat wage for seemingly not doing a great deal atm.

I see it as nothing more than the Daily Fail trying to shit stir. If anyone including CW finds offence in it then crack on, I for one don't care tbh. I care more about the complete arsehole of a season that SUFC and its fans have just had to suffer by poor management this last 12 months and the failure to change tactics when it was clearly apparent that things were not working and we were setting records for the worst top flight start in history.

As fans we could find insult in the ex manager performing weak as piss for 12 months, jumping ship when the going gets tough, getting paid an extortionate amount of money (for the average Joe on the street) for the failure, and then going to work for sports broadcasters whilst we live with the mess left behind. I don't find offence though as that's just the way it happened and no one planned for it to be that way. Some people could find insult if they were put in a padded cell by themselves with only a mirror to keep them company.
"Some people could find insult if they were put in a padded cell by themselves with only a mirror to keep them company."
"we could find insult in the ex manager performing weak as piss for 12 months, jumping ship when the going gets tough, getting paid an extortionate amount of money (for the average Joe on the street) for the failure, and then going to work for sports broadcasters whilst we live with the mess left behind.....
Ah the duality of man, Some people could....... be the very thing they criticise...

Have to admit, I had not read the clubs resolution of thanks to Hecky, presumed it was just that, so after reading the following comment in the DM, I did go and read it, cant find thinly veiled digs anywhere, just read it as facts/statistics.

A thinly-veiled dig at former manager Chris Wilder by Sheffield United in the form of a bizarre ‘resolution of thanks’ to temporary replacement Paul Heckingbottom from the club’s board has not gone down well.

The Saudi-owned Blades posted a ‘unanimous resolution’ on their website which, among other jibes, pointed out that Heckingbottom won one match fewer in 11 matches than Wilder managed in 27. Given the pair are good friends, it is unlikely either side will have appreciated the move.

Meanwhile, sources have claimed that Alan Knill, Wilder’s assistant, is being forced to come into work each day and sit in an office in the hope that the club can ask for compensation should Wilder — linked with West Bromwich Albion — take him to his new employers.

Club insiders, however, claim Knill is a valued member of staff and will work closely with new boss Slavisa Jokanovic.

Kev normally gets his stories inside the back page not hidden away in the Spirts agenda section.

The Daily Mail? The paper that thought Hitler was a jolly decent fellow - why would you give any weight to what they have to say about anything? 🤔

"Some people could find insult if they were put in a padded cell by themselves with only a mirror to keep them company."
"we could find insult in the ex manager performing weak as piss for 12 months, jumping ship when the going gets tough, getting paid an extortionate amount of money (for the average Joe on the street) for the failure, and then going to work for sports broadcasters whilst we live with the mess left behind.....
Ah the duality of man, Some people could....... be the very thing they criticise...

So you managed to miss off the next part of my earlier post which then stated

'I don't find offence though as that's just the way it happened and no one planned for it to be that way'.

Which part of that wasn't clear? To reconfirm, I don't hold anything against CW as he did his best and obviously only wanted the best for the club and by definition himself. I dont hold it against him going when he did either that's his choice. I do think some of his decisions were baffling though and he isn't above criticism. But I dont find anything that he did 'offended' me as a fan, nor should anyone find offence in the thank you made to PH by the club in a club statement . If they do then I would suggest the poor sensitive souls get over themselves.

Shit stirring bollocks.

Alan Knill 'forced' to come into work. LMFAO.

As for the previous management

All hail King Slav

I do enjoy "forced to come into work"

Wait... he's getting paid... and he's being asked to come into work 😲 THE HORROR!

I doubt Knilly is complaining.

Shit stirring bollocks.

Alan Knill 'forced' to come into work. LMFAO.

As for the previous management

All hail King Slav

Forgot just how shrieky these were - my glass of OJ just shattered in my hand!

That resolution of thanks is incredibly bizarre no idea why they felt the need to do it

That resolution of thanks is incredibly bizarre no idea why they felt the need to do it

It's just a formal document from the board as a collective which goes on record rather than a media statement from 'the club'.

Was the story by Ian Ladyman by any chance?

Firstly its the Daily Fail the paper that loves to rubbish the Blades. The mouthpiece of former chairman KM, Alan Biggs and I suspect some in the CW camp. Keegan the author has written a number of articles implying there are problems at the Club no doubt under the guidance of Samuels the man who loathes us. If Alan Knill is still being paid by the Club then he will have to come into work if he hasn't been paid off, hardly a ground breaking exclusive.

The document reads like a lawyer has drawn it up. Yusef G? Acting Chairman? Resolution of Thanks are a usual feature in the States at colleges and universities as a record of achievement. As an internal document whilst not being the normal practice over here its fine but why the need to publicly issue it rather than a simple statement thanking PH? It raises more questions than it needs to and can be open to misinterpretation. I can understand why some would interpret parts of it as digs at the previous management team. What came after has hardly been successful and if the Board genuinely believe PH's brief tenure was an achievement then we've got problems. PR own goal IMO we need to move on.

Firstly its the Daily Fail the paper that loves to rubbish the Blades. The mouthpiece of former chairman KM, Alan Biggs and I suspect some in the CW camp. Keegan the author has written a number of articles implying there are problems at the Club no doubt under the guidance of Samuels the man who loathes us. If Alan Knill is still being paid by the Club then he will have to come into work if he hasn't been paid off, hardly a ground breaking exclusive.

The document reads like a lawyer has drawn it up. Yusef G? Acting Chairman? Resolution of Thanks are a usual feature in the States at colleges and universities as a record of achievement. As an internal document whilst not being the normal practice over here its fine but why the need to publicly issue it rather than a simple statement thanking PH? It raises more questions than it needs to and can be open to misinterpretation. I can understand why some would interpret parts of it as digs at the previous management team. What came after has hardly been successful and if the Board genuinely believe PH's brief tenure was an achievement then we've got problems. PR own goal IMO we need to move on.
First time I have read a Resolution of thanks statement, its a mess, a simple, we would like to put on record our thanks & appreciation etc would have been enough, pretty sure it's not something Hecky would be expecting or something he would get upset about had it not happened, he stepped up, faced the media, did a job he hadn't asked for, end of story.
As for digs, CW will have to be pretty thin skinned to take offence

Am I disappointed by the way things ended with Wilder and Knill? Yes.

Would I have liked to see Wilder and Knill given the opportunity to bring United back next season? Yes.

Do I wish that Prince and Wilder/Knill could have patched up their differences? Yes.

However, the fact is that we as a club now need to move on. We have a proven winner in the management seat and that gives me hope for next season. He also seems like the kind of bloke that, should things get tough at any point, will not be bothered one iota about any Blades fans pining for Wilder back. I love Alan Knill and will never not be grateful for everything he did for the club but I am sure that discussions have been had about his position at the club. If the club want to keep him and he is under contract, why should we release him? If he wants to go but doesn't want to resign and lose out on money, why should we pay him off? If Wilder gets the Baggies' job and wants Knill, why should we not make them pay for his services? He is under contract. He either works as our Assistant Manager - as per his contract - or he resigns the position, surely? The crunch will come when Jokanovic wants his own man as Assistant, then it might force a decision from United but, for now, we keep him and maximise the profit (or minimise the loss) on Knill's contract.

Daily Mail, by the way, is a bag of shit and should never be taken seriously by anybody with more than three brain cells.

UTB

The Daily Mail.
It is by far the worst of the tabloids and it will eventually, sooner than later I hope, just cease to be a going concern and stop production.

Am I disappointed by the way things ended with Wilder and Knill? Yes.

Would I have liked to see Wilder and Knill given the opportunity to bring United back next season? Yes.

Do I wish that Prince and Wilder/Knill could have patched up their differences? Yes.

However, the fact is that we as a club now need to move on. We have a proven winner in the management seat and that gives me hope for next season. He also seems like the kind of bloke that, should things get tough at any point, will not be bothered one iota about any Blades fans pining for Wilder back. I love Alan Knill and will never not be grateful for everything he did for the club but I am sure that discussions have been had about his position at the club. If the club want to keep him and he is under contract, why should we release him? If he wants to go but doesn't want to resign and lose out on money, why should we pay him off? If Wilder gets the Baggies' job and wants Knill, why should we not make them pay for his services? He is under contract. He either works as our Assistant Manager - as per his contract - or he resigns the position, surely? The crunch will come when Jokanovic wants his own man as Assistant, then it might force a decision from United but, for now, we keep him and maximise the profit (or minimise the loss) on Knill's contract.

Daily Mail, by the way, is a bag of shit and should never be taken seriously by anybody with more than three brain cells.

UTB
Love what Wilder and Knill did for us and they will both get a standing ovation from me if our paths cross in future games but tbh I'm now finding myself irritated by some in the media and our fanbase who just can't let it go.

It certainly wasn't all the board's fault by a long way and I find that inference utterly pathetic.

Really is time to move on and get behind the new manager and the squad he puts together.

The Daily Mail.
It is by far the worst of the tabloids and it will eventually, sooner than later I hope, just cease to be a going concern and stop production.
Have to disagree here, admittedly the Mail is a complete cesspit of a paper it is but just slightly behind cesspitiness of the Daily Express.

Back
Top Bottom