Could Heckingbottom/Wilder be the next Klinsmann/Joachim Löw

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Now I'm not saying I see Heckingbottom as our next permanent manager but I really don't want us to lose our system and formation when we are back in the championship. I've absolutely loved to watch it over the last few seasons. I appreciate it was developed by Chris and Alan but it has only been used at our club and as far as I'm concerned it is part of our identity now.

It is a shame Knill is probably moving on as it would have been nice to see possibly Heckingbottom and Knill carry forward with everything in the same way Joachim Löw took over from Klinsmann at Germany.

A completely new manager and philosophy is likely to rip all of the squad apart and people like Basham are going to end up as a round peg looking for a square hole. It is a shame, I don't know the solution. I know it has been indicated we are looking for a 3-5-2 manager but is there anyway people can see us keeping the overlapping centre backs, formation etc ?

Now I'm not saying I see Heckingbottom as our next permanent manager but I really don't want us to lose our system and formation when we are back in the championship. I've absolutely loved to watch it over the last few seasons. I appreciate it was developed by Chris and Alan but it has only been used at our club and as far as I'm concerned it is part of our identity now.

It is a shame Knill is probably moving on as it would have been nice to see possibly Heckingbottom and Knill carry forward with everything in the same way Joachim Löw took over from Klinsmann at Germany.

A completely new manager and philosophy is likely to rip all of the squad apart and people like Basham are going to end up as a round peg looking for a square hole. It is a shame, I don't know the solution. I know it has been indicated we are looking for a 3-5-2 manager but is there anyway people can see us keeping the overlapping centre backs, formation etc ?
I agree with you, keep the system and develop the U23s as from what i saw against QPR they looked better than our first team.
I do not think appointing a Serbian is a good move as reported in the media today although no doubt i will be shot down from the woke PC brigade who will accuse me of being anti european following on from yesterdays post about female football and media punter over dose.
But hay ho water of a dinasaurs back. The ex Watford and Fulham manager has had shit loads of money to gain promotion twice. Prince has no money or not enough to bankroll such a manager.
Serbians are not known for their cool and calm nature and are probably connected to a number of dodgy characters as per Taken 2. The Copthorne may become a drug den and centre of illegal trafficking of women snatched from the concourse of John Street stand. Back to reality i would prefer a more home grown manager who understands the British mentality and not from the balkans.

I know what you're saying but its time to move on from the wilder era and his tactics/style of play. We need to start again and freshen things up, would love some attacking flair players for once!

Yes, we need to go back to the club we were ,
Run on a shoe string, hopefully a mid Championship type of club who sell their best players as soon as they look anything like getting a promotion ( purely to keep the club solvent of course )
Maybe even drop down a division or two so we can have wild party's and great memories of the promotions' back up again .
But don't ever presume to step over that Premiership line, it's far to rich for the likes of us simple folk up here,. we've not even got a cocktail brigade and not only are we to far from London to have one, were even on the unpopular side of England.

The map say's it all really ..... , YORKSHIRE - Here be Dragons....... ;)

Would be romantic and legacy defining to carry on with the 352 blades era. But the last year and then some has thoroughly exposed the short comings of our set up. We need to make radical changes to our attacking play because it has become incredibly predictable and slow. ⚔️

I thought many of the 'experts' on here said we failed because Chris Wilder wouldn't change the system.

I know what you're saying but its time to move on from the wilder era and his tactics/style of play. We need to start again and freshen things up, would love some attacking flair players for once!

Yes, we need to go back to the club we were ,
Run on a shoe string, hopefully a mid Championship type of club who sell their best players as soon as they look anything like getting a promotion ( purely to keep the club solvent of course )
Maybe even drop down a division or two so we can have wild party's and great memories of the promotions' back up again .
But don't ever presume to step over that Premiership line, it's far to rich for the likes of us simple folk up here,. we've not even got a cocktail brigade and not only are we to far from London to have one, were even on the unpopular side of England.

The map say's it all really ..... , YORKSHIRE - Here be Dragons....... ;)
Our attacking play and intent has been nothing short as a disgrace this season and that's coming from a Wilder fan.

I agree with you, keep the system and develop the U23s as from what i saw against QPR they looked better than our first team.
I do not think appointing a Serbian is a good move as reported in the media today although no doubt i will be shot down from the woke PC brigade who will accuse me of being anti european following on from yesterdays post about female football and media punter over dose.
But hay ho water of a dinasaurs back. The ex Watford and Fulham manager has had shit loads of money to gain promotion twice. Prince has no money or not enough to bankroll such a manager.
Serbians are not known for their cool and calm nature and are probably connected to a number of dodgy characters as per Taken 2. The Copthorne may become a drug den and centre of illegal trafficking of women snatched from the concourse of John Street stand. Back to reality i would prefer a more home grown manager who understands the British mentality and not from the balkans.

This can’t be a serious post. 🤣

I'm not sure why our formation and style of play that got us to the top echelons of the Premier League is getting slagged off.

It's only since we stopped playing that way that the rot has set in.

Wilder with the nark on, not motivating players who needed constant motivation to make up for a lack of technical ability is what's caused the problem.

tenor-7.gif

Would be romantic and legacy defining to carry on with the 352 blades era. But the last year and then some has thoroughly exposed the short comings of our set up. We need to make radical changes to our attacking play because it has become incredibly predictable and slow. ⚔️

Chris has made some awful signings and lost integral players for this system, so was it the system that failed Chris or the signings that failed the system ?

Fair point the 3-5-2 relies so heavily on the centrebacks to create overloads and those types of players are hard to find and certainly it’s very hard to have several of them on the bench for cover so it would always leave us open to injury problems. Even in the good wilder years the rest of our attacking players relied a lot on the inherent quality of the strikers/number 10 rather than anything schemed up.

Now tell us what you really think. 🙄

In answer to the original thread title question, the answer is no.

Attacking flair players! We shall be having none of that here!
We are a local club of grafters not fancy flair players!

I'm not sure why our formation and style of play that got us to the top echelons of the Premier League is getting slagged off.

Wilder with the nark on, not motivating players who needed constant motivation to make up for a lack of technical ability is what's caused the problem.
1616528316749.jpeg

It might be an idea for you to develop an inner monologue.

I agree with the formation and system but a new manager will have his own ideas, now providing it’s fast attacking quality football on the floor I’ll be happy, and the Serb ticks all the boxes on this, recall the 5-4 win at the Lane when Fulham tore us a new rectum.

But can you change a system just like that, do we even have the players to do it ?

I think many of our players are average Championship standard...my concern is that our real level is mid table Championship at best.

Wilders system didn’t fail and wasn’t worked out.
It relies on having a left sided centre back who is equalled as good playing as left bacI.
That defender needs the stamina and intelligence to get doen the left wing and be able to put in crosses.

These attributed are rare....but the overlapping centre back was performed brilliantly by Jack O’Connell....and his replacement hasnt been as good.

The system also needs a right sides centre back who is equally comfortable playing as right full back and he must have the stamina and intelligence to go down the right wing or even break forward into attack. Very few defenders could ever play this role.

But the overlapping centre back roles was performed brilliantly by Chris Basham....and the replacement hasn’t been as good.

Basically without O’Connell and Basham our overlapping centre back tactic has gone to pot.
Bring those 2 back with Egan in the middle...train up the others...and it can be brought back but there needs to be other options too.

I have got to say I feel the same way. I could certainly be wrong but it did start to feel that Wilder was giving up and in doing so gave the players 'permission' to take their foot of the gas. Was it Souness who coined the 'who motivates the motivator"?, Wilder did an incredible job taking these players beyond their natural level, but it has to be said he appeared to stop trying to get them to punch above their weight. In a lot of ways the players were playing out Leckey's 'consistency theory'.....due to Wilder repeatedly bigging up the opposition. So far from the Wilder who had produced miracles. It is hard to be over critical of someone however for not being able to produce miracles. The 'truth' is probably somewhere in between.

Back
Top Bottom