Could going down be such a bad thing ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FallowfieldBlade

The Names Blade Fallowfield Blade
Reaction score
Has this club ever had so many exciting young players?

Berge/Mcburnie/Brewster/Bogle/Burke/ plus coulibaly in Belgium and arari in the yooof

Going down would give them the chance to develop a lot easier than fighting relegation again and become far better players for it

I am honestly not that arsed. Ive hated the prem as much as I did last time. Its not proper football , diving , cheating VAR ,big time charlies ,glory hunting fans ,it was good last season to try the new stadiums ,but we seemed to be in London every week ,cost a fortune. One season down ,regroup ,enjoy the excitement and winning ,Colin Murray instead of that cunt Lineker , Saturday games. Not the end of the world.

If we are to be a yo-yo club between the PL and the Championship in the next few years then I would be happy enough as we have had only 7 seasons in the top flight since 1976.
That’s our problem, when we get relegated it usually takes us years to get back up. I can’t see us doing a Norwich, I think we’ll end up just above half way. I hope Im wrong.

Berge/Mcburnie/Brewster/Bogle/Burke/ plus coulibaly in Belgium and arari in the yooof

Going down would give them the chance to develop a lot easier than fighting relegation again and become far better players for it
It will only be a bad thing if we end up in the shitting play offs

Some people on this board felt that relegation in 2011 could be a good thing.

I think we can all agree it was not.

the last 3 top flight relegations have seen us take 14, 12 and 12 years to return to the top flight. In 2 of those spells we were relegated further in the interim.

Given the way this season has gone I don’t think anyone can be confident that our stay outside the PL will be a short one. It might be, but we might as easily turn into Birmingham or Derby. Or worse.

Some people on this board felt that relegation in 2011 could be a good thing.

I think we can all agree it was not.

the last 3 top flight relegations have seen us take 14, 12 and 12 years to return to the top flight. In 2 of those spells we were relegated further in the interim.

Given the way this season has gone I don’t think anyone can be confident that our stay outside the PL will be a short one. It might be, but we might as easily turn into Birmingham or Derby. Or worse.
Was this board here in 2011 ?

Going down also means we’re more inclined to sell said exciting youngsters. Yes; it’s a bad thing.

Was this board here in 2011 ?
This, i just think the prince has more ambition and drive (if you take finances out of the equation) to have Sheffield United be a sustainable Premier League team then KM ever did. I think he'll find a way to get us back up there pretty quick again.

It bothers me not
I'm used to what we think of as being "good times" bein those in the higher end of the second division, and I'm not that keen on all the bollocks in the PL.
What I do hope for is the we are in the higher end of the second division!

Being a Yo Yo club is better than being forever shit PL standard.
Several of my former work mates were West Brom fans when they literally went up or down every year (battle of Bramall Lane days) and they actively liked it - its excitin!

It's not a good thing no I want us long term established in the top flight. However we will piss championship - no danger.

Reactions: Dkc
Really? Dont remember this?

I could only be arsed to search for threads with relegation in the title.

This thread is the football equivalent of being dumped by a bird and trying to save face by telling your mates you dumped her.

There are literally no positives to relegation unless you love supporting a mediocre football club that constantly underachieves.

I just can’t imagine the majority of other Premier League club’s fans thinking this way at all. It just seems to be that once again Sheffielders see second best as some sort of badge of honour.

For the club, yes. For the fans and as a spectator, it's not so bad for the reasons above.

I think most are confident in Wilders ability to bring us back up fairly quickly but it will be an interesting couple of seasons for us.

It would be good if we could have fans back in and fans at away games. If it’s like this for another year it will cripple us financially so a yo-yo season is a necessity rather than a nice to have.

Of course there are things that will be a positive of going down....

No VAR, Saturday 3pm KOs, less diving/cheating, worldwide fans who actually have never even been to a game and biased one eyedmedua coverage etc BUT....

I am with YES Blade

Surely the whole point of Sport and Football is being the best you can. In my lifetime other than a 3/4 year period early 90s we have never established (not even sure we did then) ourselves as a top flight club. Indeed in the last 45 years we have spent 6 seasons up there and only 3 in the last 25 years.

There are no doubt better things about the Championship as others have stated but we dont tend to do the bouncing back and often it can be 10 years or so before we return.

We had an opportunity to establish ourselves as a top flight club and really push on as a club financially, infrastructure and worldwide appeal (it's so much bigger now being in the Premier League than it ever was us being there before) and we have blown it.

I am surprised by the mentality of fans in thus regard. It's like we are settling for 2nd best and accepting we will never be any good...maybe that is right to be realistic (to be fair I've posted that's what I accept we are- Champ club who has odd seasons in Prem or Lg 1 (actually had 9-10 seasons in third tier compared to 6 in top flight in last 40 years!) but surely we should be aspiring to be the best?

I have seen a lot of posts this week on social media saying look where we were a few years ago (random ground posted from League One) and we should be grateful. Whilst I take the point and we have come a long way quickly, I also think that as fans even us have now sadly become aligned with the board/owners over most of our history....that is not demanding more, expecting better but merely just accepting we'll never be any good and being pleased to be 2nd rate.

It's quite sad really. Maybe without major investment we will never get to be established at the top table but I see other teams have done it (Palace, Burnley etc).

I do think within a few months of next season the 'I'm glad we are back in the Championship' will have well and truly worn off. I watched a few games this week on mud heap pitches and the standard was appalling. It was like something youd see on Graves Park almost. No crowds there also seems even worse than the Prem (no idea why- maybe the pitches and smaller stadiums makes it seem worse?). Also the wall to wall media coverage we criticise will be something we may miss. Without paying a fee every week you wont be able to see every game and you will not get anywhere near the coverage/information/highlights. It will be harder to find games for a fair few and actually more expensive (streams not as easy to find at a lower level).

As for away games...isnt it more expensive for tickets when we can go back (Prem games capped)? I personally have loved going to big grounds and newer ones. Granted it wears off but as much as people (include myself) say we miss trips to smaller grounds will we be as excited when the fixtures are out?

The Prem offered trips to London, Manchester, Liverpool etc...great days out. Granted more expensive but I tended to find that take away the train fare and youd spend similiar wherever you went (booze/food etc).

Are people excited about us visiting the same grounds we have been to so many times and I thought had escaped for the foreseeable future...Preston, Watford, Stoke, Huddersfield, Forest, Barnsley, QPR, Cardiff, Millwall, Blackburn etc

I had a look and I think other than Brentford many Blades will have done every ground time and time again. Just hope Lincoln and Accrington come up!

I have not even discussed the financial side or playing side (we could attract better players in the top level)....

I dislike a fair few things in the Prem definitely but its the place to be and surely we want to be there? If you don't is that just accepting mediocrity as our lot?

So in summary, it's a disappointing attitude and a bit defeatist to me but maybe I am on my own?

Not sure id describe Mcburnie as exciting or young, id go as far as saying its the opposite of exciting when i see hes in the starting line up. Also not really found Brewster particularly exciting so far but still hopeful he can play football.

Personally I think it is a bad thing.
“Is it such a bad thing” will very much depend on what happens next season.
I hope we get promoted, play enjoyable football (for the spectators), bring on youngsters, bring in some other new blood, keep some of our “better”players and get rid of all the dead wood and more.
(I would also like the Prince to stay but with access to massive amounts of money to ensure we get into - and stay in - Europe year in, year out.)

Yes as the owners have taken all the money from our premiership reign to purchase the club.

No infrastructure has changed so we have nothing to show for our time in the PL

Going down also means we’re more inclined to sell said exciting youngsters. Yes; it’s a bad thing.

I'd be very surprised if Berge stayed. And Burke, exciting youngster? He's had more false starts than a Morris Marina in his career, but to be fair he has shown that he has a bit of something for us.

Big year for McB and Brewster next year. Hopefully they can build up some momentum.

Never wanted to play the pigs again. Quasimodo's lump they are.
WBA and Norwich are yo-yo teams, we take relegation as a k.o. Takes us a while to recover, may be different this time. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom