[CONFIRMED] Brandy joins Walsall on Loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

In my 40 odd years of watching the Blades I think we have hasd 3 real chances of breaking out of the mould and becoming (once again) a recognised power in the game. All wasted

Under Harris from 1969 we were very good but had lost it by 74. There were many times pre- Hockey when we were too lightweight, and from 72 the squad replacements to an ageing team were piss poor. Harris should have invested in good young talent from 1970.

Under Bassett - probably he should have been replaced earlier but the money had run out,. Deane should not have been sold

Under Warnock 2006. We know that story. I really don't know what would have happened if Webbers attempt had gone in and we'd have stayed up. I don't subscribe to the opinion that Warnock had become a liability and like to think like Stoke we would have consolidated.

Will there be another chance?,

In my 40 odd years of watching the Blades I think we have hasd 3 real chances of breaking out of the mould and becoming (once again) a recognised power in the game. All wasted

Under Harris from 1969 we were very good but had lost it by 74. There were many times pre- Hockey when we were too lightweight, and from 72 the squad replacements to an ageing team were piss poor. Harris should have invested in good young talent from 1970.

Under Bassett - probably he should have been replaced earlier but the money had run out,. Deane should not have been sold

Under Warnock 2006. We know that story. I really don't know what would have happened if Webbers attempt had gone in and we'd have stayed up. I don't subscribe to the opinion that Warnock had become a liability and like to think like Stoke we would have consolidated.

Will there be another chance?,

Harris - I never saw them but the facts say we were at our best in 1975 when we finished 5th (under Furphy).
The season after that we were appalling and finished bottom.
Probably due to an ageing team like you say?
My Dad told me building the South Stand was the start of our downfall.
All the money went into that instead of the team.

Bassett - We needed somebody to back Bassett with additional funding in 92-94 (9th, 14th and Cup Semi).
Instead we had the farcical Chairmanships of Woolhouse, Hashimi and Brealey.
Bassett was reduced to paying for his own signings like Brian Gayle to make sure he got them.
Deane was then sold against Bassett's wishes while he was on holiday.
Even if Deane couldn't be persuaded to stay, Bassett knew he could get a better deal if he'd been allowed to handle it.
Back-to-back promotions and then keeping United in the top flight was an astonishing achievement.
Changing the manager wouldn't have helped at any stage without extra funding.
Why oh why did McDonald not emerge just a couple of years earlier or McCabe step out from the sidelines?

Warnock - McCabe should have backed him with a 3 year plan after we got promoted.
Try and stay up but if you go down, keep the squad together and bounce straight back, then keep us up.
He should have been given the same wages budget in the Premiership as Robson was given in the Championship.
Instead McCabe lavished the untold riches (earned by Warnock) on the wrong man at the wrong time.
We're still paying the price to this day and probably still will be for years to come.

Harris - I never saw them but the facts say we were at our best in 1975 when we finished 5th (under Furphy).

We finished 6th in 1975, Derby had one of the lowest points total out of the 1st division champions in a freaky looking table. Your dad could be right that building the South Stand contributed to our downfall in some ways. We were forced to sell Geoff Salmons in 1974 cos the bank were putting pressure on us

Bassett - We needed somebody to back Bassett with additional funding in 92-94 (9th, 14th and Cup Semi).
Instead we had the farcical Chairmanships of Woolhouse, Hashimi and Brealey.
Bassett was reduced to paying for his own signings like Brian Gayle to make sure he got them.
Deane was then sold against Bassett's wishes while he was on holiday.
Even if Deane couldn't be persuaded to stay, Bassett knew he could get a better deal if he'd been allowed to handle it.
Back-to-back promotions and then keeping United in the top flight was an astonishing achievement.
Changing the manager wouldn't have helped at any stage without extra funding.
Why oh why did McDonald not emerge just a couple of years earlier or McCabe step out from the sidelines?

Warnock - McCabe should have backed him with a 3 year plan after we got promoted.
Try and stay up but if you go down, keep the squad together and bounce straight back, then keep us up.
He should have been given the same wages budget in the Premiership as Robson was given in the Championship.
Instead McCabe lavished the untold riches (earned by Warnock) on the wrong man at the wrong time.
We're still paying the price to this day and probably still will be for years to come.

McCabe should have sacked him when we got promoted and got someone in that could keep us in the Premiership

Excellent, he was utter wank and a complete liability. Where was this 'added dimension/something different' he offered us then? Other than the ever lurking threat of violence?

Keep your eye on The Football League Show and I'm sure you'll see it soon.

I think some of you missed my point. Why was he petulant for you in a few games, but not for all for all of last season? Poor discipline at the club? Frustrating at poor players around him? Not sure, but the person hasn't changed.

Anyway, sponsors MOTM tonight, although wouldn't have been mine in the end, but made a difference and played a big part in our goal.

Top 6 now, with more to come. If you all want rid of him so much, we'll be able to offer Championship football to him next season. Tara a bit.

I suggest you check the stats. Since last January, we have been a top 6 team, based on points accumulated. Despite having to let go of our best three players (and 40+ goals) between them, we have muddled along the first half of the season, and stayed in the hunt. We will now add a couple of loan signings (within our low budget restraints) to strengthen, and kick on from there.

Like I said we've beaten all of the teams above us, so how can we be not good enough?

So Barry, when this thread was last posted in, Walsall were 6th on 41 points and we were 19th on 25. After today's result, we are 8th on 63 points and Walsall are 11th on 58 and can't catch us. Still think Febian Brandy is the second coming?

Back
Top Bottom