Ciaran Clark

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Lmaobob

Wind Up Merchant
Reaction score
Haven’t seen anyone talk about his performance. Thought he had a really good game. Seems to be really good in the air which will work wonders in defence and attack hopefully.

Only concern is his lack of composure. Couple of times he just seemed to lump it for no reason, for example after Egan smashed the ball in the air, he had time and space but just decided to volley it back into the air. May have been much harder than it looked but could have just headed it away? Again, maybe a lot harder to deal with that it looked.

All ok all I was happy with his performance and think he’ll be a good addition. Also noted a couple of attacking runs he made, a couple of overlaps. Nice to see this after we’ve had no one to do this since J’Oc got injured (a LCB I mean)

When he hoofed the ball the wrong way the first thing I thought was he looks pissed off like he doesn’t want to be here.

He looked very commanding. Not always comfortable looking on the ball, but seemed committed to going for the overlap a few times, you can see he has played at full back a bit. I guess the test will be, if someone with a bit of pace can get him on the back foot.

Early days, but that back 3 and Wes has the potential to be a rodiculoust solid unit.

Our last promotion was built on Hendo, Egan, JOC and prime Basham.

I wonder if this defence could be as strong?

When we were last promoted back to the PL it was based on a rock solid defensive unit + keeper.
We never looked like conceding and during our 1st season back in the PL the solid defence continued, again we didn't concede many.

However let's not forget Wilder rarely tinkered with line-ups and we hardly had any injuries.
So we seemed to play the same back 5 every match.....think this really helped understanding and consistency.

The stats show that it was Jack O'Connell who was our most important defender.
When he played we rarely conceded, when he missed games we generally conceded and lost.
Still think his long term injury was probably the main reason we were relegated.

You often hear the statement "great attacks win cups....but great defences win leagues", think our success/failure will revolve around the luck aspect of injuries.

I thought he was going to be a squad player. I think he’s going to cement that position for the season now.

Think this guy is key if we want to get promoted
A back 3 of him anel and egan is solid and once tge left wing back position is strengthened thats a pretty strong back 5 at this level

Bloody hell. Christmas is truly the time for miracles it seems. I've found myself agreeing with one of your posts.

Clark is key if United are to get promotion. Then again I think I was the first on here to say what a good signing and key player this lad will be for us this season (you can check out the original thread on him signing if you are sad enough to want to check though I'm presuming you aren't). I was seemingly swimming against the tide with that view at the time but I always thought he would be a very good player for us as he was for Newcastle. We just need to keep him fit. That's the crux of the matter.

Heard him speak a few days ago, worst Irish accent I’ve ever heard, he needs lessons off Eags!
I remember hearing Mickey Doyle speak and genuinely struggling to understand much of what he said. Proper Irish.

I didn’t even realise he was on loan until just now. Thought we’d signed him.

I didn’t even realise he was on loan until just now. Thought we’d signed him.

Well in effect we have signed him on a permanent 1 year deal as he is out of contract with Newcastle in the summer, they aren't going to offer him a new one, nor are they going to recall him from his loan with us so we have kind of taken over his contract with 2 thirds of his wages being subsidized by the Geordies. I could see us taking him on permanently in the summer but he will still have to take a wage cut even if we are prompted. I'd imagine to that in unless he gets a move to the middle east and a lucrative contract offer then he will be expecting a wage cut in the summer so we could be where he ends up for the next couple of years.

Well in effect we have signed him on a permanent 1 year deal as he is out of contract with Newcastle in the summer, they aren't going to offer him a new one, nor are they going to recall him from his loan with us so we have kind of taken over his contract with 2 thirds of his wages being subsidized by the Geordies. I could see us taking him on permanently in the summer but he will still have to take a wage cut even if we are prompted. I'd imagine to that in unless he gets a move to the middle east and a lucrative contract offer then he will be expecting a wage cut in the summer so we could be where he ends up for the next couple of years.
Cheers Thanks for the clarification

Will he deputise for Egan in the middle vs Blackpool with Bash on the left?

He was very tidy on the ball today going forward.

He’s a good solid defender at this level, I like him

Love him. It makes a nice change (and I'm talking about generally not just us) seeing a defender who likes defending- reads danger, intercepts it, tough and good on the ball, looks great. Him and Lowe don't half make a bloody difference.

Am I the only one who thinks he's a dead ringer for Declan Rice?

Back
Top Bottom