'Memries' Christmas Day football

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

DifferentClass

Official Simpsons shitposter
Reaction score
Now fess up, who remembers matches on Christmas Day? 😜

Our last Christmas match was apparently in 1958 at Blundell Park. We beat Grimsby 2-1. In the return fixture two days later, we won by the same scoreline. It used to be standard to play the home and away fixtures over the Christmas period, often one on the big day and the next on Boxing Day. Unimaginable now, and it was pretty common for both teams to be quite the worse for wear in the second fixture!

My dad loved Xmas Day matches as he reckons the atmosphere was better than Boxing Day matches, many spectators would bring their cigar and smoke it during the match. He and his mates would walk from Dronfield to catch the tram to the Lane from Meadowhead.

I'm glad both players and fans don't have to do this anymore! I've actually gone off Boxing day matches too, even at home, because there's no public transport, and I love a Boxing day drink!
To be fair, I've only really felt like this since I moved out of Sheffield in 2014, when we played Port Vale and I drove home in a blizzard!
I will be there on Monday though, and may even persuade Esteemed Forgeblade to drive!
Have a good Christmas everyone, and UTB!

Back
Top Bottom