Chico, Chico , Chico .....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

AlienWoodward

Reaction score
I have just recently sold the old house and between the new one being ready to live in from moving out there was around a ten week time difference which meant I was effectively homeless.
Mrs Alien was fancying a couple of months of sun and holiday while I wanted to part with as little dosh as possible. Renting a house was going to prove expensive as we only needed ten weeks of accommodation, but minimum rental periods seemed to be around six months.
So we decided to live in the touring caravan we have. We found a lovely farmers caravan site up at Redmires, a few pubs to hand and set up the Sky dish. The weather was good , this was the life.
Every morning in the shower block I am passing time of day with this guy who was around ten years or so older than me, We are talking about the weather, the news and everything you normally chat about with a stranger.
Then off he went to Spain for a month or so. At this time the Mrs Alien had got chatting to a lovely old girl who was telling her about the other permanent residents on the site and what they did for for work etc.
One night we were sat in the caravan watching a Villa game on Sky when she said to me, "He used to play for Villa didn't he?"
I was a little confused and asked her who she was on about.
"That old bloke you speak to everyday, you know him who you stood and drank his beers when he offered you a can when you went to empty the bin"
I was taken aback. "Wow, he played for Villa. what's his name" I asked, as I clearly didn't recognise him.
Chico Hamilton was her reply. ...
I was gobsmacked , I used to love him as a kid.....
As soon as he was back I was over to tell him my memories.
What a nice guy he is and fantastic to hear his thoughts on former players.
Edwards : Too lazy to be a footballer, but what a finisher
Kenworthy : As hard as nails, a great trainer should have played at a higher level.
Woodward : The best player I ever played with , he should have played for England.
Anyone got any memories of Chico ?

I have just recently sold the old house and between the new one being ready to live in from moving out there was around a ten week time difference which meant I was effectively homeless.
Mrs Alien was fancying a couple of months of sun and holiday while I wanted to part with as little dosh as possible. Renting a house was going to prove expensive as we only needed ten weeks of accommodation, but minimum rental periods seemed to be around six months.
So we decided to live in the touring caravan we have. We found a lovely farmers caravan site up at Redmires, a few pubs to hand and set up the Sky dish. The weather was good , this was the life.
Every morning in the shower block I am passing time of day with this guy who was around ten years or so older than me, We are talking about the weather, the news and everything you normally chat about with a stranger.
Then off he went to Spain for a month or so. At this time the Mrs Alien had got chatting to a lovely old girl who was telling her about the other permanent residents on the site and what they did for for work etc.
One night we were sat in the caravan watching a Villa game on Sky when she said to me, "He used to play for Villa didn't he?"
"That old bloke you speak to everyday, you know him who you stood and drank his beers when he offered you a can when you went to empty the bin"
I was taken aback. "Wow, he played for Villa. what's his name" I asked, as I clearly didn't recognise him.
Kenworthy : As hard as nails, a great trainer should have played at a higher level.
Woodward : The best player I ever played with , he should have played for England.

Only on MoD, bur what is so fascinating is when we were younger these guys were gods playing for heaven - the Blades - yet when we're older you realise they were just doing a job and in some ways that is the magical bit. They are no longer heroes on MoD or in GOAL or Shoot! or the GreenUn or whatever, these are real people. To be able to converse with them now just puts it all in perspective. You must have enjoyed chatting with him.

Mate it was surreal. I seriously idolised him as a youngster.
He lives in a static caravan now, no airs or graces still loves football and is so clued up on it, it is a joy to listen to him.
We enjoyed the site so much we have decided to keep the van on there. Chico asked if he could pop over to watch footy with me when I am there as he doesn't have Sky. He offered to bring some beers, so how could I say no.
Strange, small world we live in.

Chic Hamilton must be in his mid sixties now . I can remember him playing for Chelsea and Villa ., I think he worked at the university for a while and did some scouting for the blades . Players like Chico , Trevor Hockey ( who also played for Villa ) bring back happy nostalgic memories following the Blades ,. They were on good money compared to the normal working man , but they seem more real ( although gods / heroes at the time standing on the old kop ) , than the overpaid premiership players of today you meet . The guy had class on the field , and good to know he has it off the field , and still today .

Great story , and brings back great memories.

UTB

In summer 1985, when I was 16, our lot used to play in a weekly 5-a-side tournament at Middlewood Road training ground. One week I got there miles too early for our game and one team that was about to start their match only had 4 players. They were that desperate for someone to make up the numbers they were even prepared to put a 16 year old kid into their team, a team that included the same Chico Hamilton. Similar to AlienWoodward he was one of my heroes as a kid watching United and I couldn't believe I was now in the same team. I'm sure the team that night was Timbertop, the one at Shirecliffe. They told me to stay up front and Chico must have set up me with at least 3 gilt edged chances, and like a true defender I missed the lot. I was obviously gutted that a United hero was setting them up on a plate for me and didn't put at least one away. I was expecting a few groans or a b0ll0cking but instead got 'unlucky lad' and at the final whistle a thanks for turning out for us. Also had the satisfaction of our lot turning up in dribs and drabs and them all giving it "what's Banger doing player out there... on the same team as Chico Hamilton!'

I always thought he was a good player at United, have a feeling he was one that was moved on by Haslam to be replaced by one of his garbage signings.

Chico came and played with us for a couple of seasons in the 80's in the county senior league. Lovely bloke, and as you say Alien, absolutely no airs and graces, down to earth and some great stories. Liked a gargle too :)

He took the worst penalty I have ever seen, at the lane end, he hit the clock. Met him when my lad was a guest at the club after his 1st tour of Afghan, he was very charming, really nice bloke.
I mentioned that penalty. I seem to remember it was against Millwall. He explained that his hair was in his eyes when he took it ....

When I was young we had a season ticket in the BLUT. Row B. I remember him taking a penalty and it landed on the seat next to me.

Mate it was surreal. I seriously idolised him as a youngster.
He lives in a static caravan now, no airs or graces still loves football and is so clued up on it, it is a joy to listen to him.
We enjoyed the site so much we have decided to keep the van on there. Chico asked if he could pop over to watch footy with me when I am there as he doesn't have Sky. He offered to bring some beers, so how could I say no.
Strange, small world we live in.

Absolutely fantastic. Is that Chico's permanent home too? I think it is a bit sad if it is, after all he was kind of quite famous ok not a Georgie Best but for those of us who remember the era I certainly remember him and one would like to think he could have had a decent house for his future. Let's face it in those days not many had a career in the Football League beyond their mid 30's.

Good on yer Alien, At least it makes Chico feel valued. At the end of it I think most blokes want to be respected whatever we do and as we get older feel we have added value somewhere. I hate this throw away society. People matter, but we often don't realise how much till they've gone either left a job/career/relationship or to put it bluntly died. You only tend to realise these things as you age.

Keep us posted. UTB

I saw him the other day in my 'manor' (S10 - hard as fuck :D) and he used to be a regular in The Plough, Sandygate Road. I seem to remember he once ran a little pub down the side of West Bar nick (Scotland Street? Royal Oak?)

I saw him the other day in my 'manor' (S10 - hard as fuck :D) and he used to be a regular in The Plough, Sandygate Road. I seem to remember he once ran a little pub down the side of West Bar nick (Scotland Street? Royal Oak?)

It was the Royal Oak, Bert remembers Mrs Hamilton......she was very popular.......

I worked with him 3 or so years ago at Nether Green After School Club and he used to live in the flat below my Grandma's in the 90s according to my dad! Top bloke! He does a bit of work on the tours at Villa and is occasionally on BBC WM for their games apparently, although never listen even though I live that area now

Watching the Chesterfield v Aston Villa match in August 1970 (Blades were at Orient that day- too far for my dad to think it was worth going to), my dad was impressed with Villa's number 10 and asked the spectators near us who he is. "Ian Hamilton" was the answer. I learned a few months later that "Chico" is his preferred name when 3rd division Villa beat Man U in the League Cup semi

Chico used to (presumably still does) run the holiday playscheme at the Sheffield University nursery. Absolute nutcase :D

He used to be in Spain most of the time but come back across in the school holidays to work.

Chico used to (presumably still does) run the holiday playscheme at the Sheffield University nursery. Absolute nutcase :D

He used to be in Spain most of the time but come back across in the school holidays to work.

He did the playscheme as well, and used to go over to Spain to see his wife occasionally! Thought that was very strange!

I saw the fab Villa team he was in quite a few times. They were really great to watch.
I can still remember most of them.
Cumbes; Robson, Tiler, ?, Aitken
Graydon, Rioch, Hamilton, McMahon, Anderson
Lochhead

I saw the fab Villa team he was in quite a few times. They were really great to watch.
Lochhead
Chris Nicholl (brother of Terry who played for us and cousin of Jimmy who played for Man U) came to Villa from Luton so he fills in your team as the other CB

Jim Cumbes played cricket with Ted Hemsley for Worcestershire. Bruce Rioch had a bit of a chequered career with us. I think John Robson played for Cloughy Sr. at Derby.

Jim Cumbes played cricket with Ted Hemsley for Worcestershire. Bruce Rioch had a bit of a chequered career with us. I think John Robson played for Cloughy Sr. at Derby.
Yes Robson played at Derby before moving to Villa. He retired from playing in 1978 after he was diagnosed with MS. He died 10 years ago

Lochhead

I may be wrong Aga, but I recall Gordon Banks commenting that Andy Lockhead was the only forward he was cautious of playing against. I managed to see Lockhead a few times and he was undoubtedly a hard nut who took no prisoners.

I may be wrong Aga, but I recall Gordon Banks commenting that Andy Lockhead was the only forward he was cautious of playing against. I managed to see Lockhead a few times and he was undoubtedly a hard nut who took no prisoners.
I remember watching a very good battle between Andy Lochhead and Eddie Colquhoun in our 3-0 friendly win at Oldham in August 1973 but at the end of the game their handshake was long and warm (both having a friendly chat and a laugh all the way to the players tunnel). My dad said Lochhead is one of the hardest players in the league. He played for Burnley and Leicester (played in the 1969 FA Cup final) before going to Villa in 1970

I remember watching a very good battle between Andy Lochhead and Eddie Colquhoun in our 3-0 friendly win at Oldham in August 1973 but at the end of the game their handshake was long and warm (both having a friendly chat and a laugh all the way to the players tunnel). My dad said Lochhead is one of the hardest players in the league. He played for Burnley and Leicester (played in the 1969 FA Cup final) before going to Villa in 1970

Sounds like your dad knew what he was talking about Silent. The only forward I can compare Lockhead to since then was Joe Jordan. Great header of the ball, good leader of the line, and not someone you'd want to tangle with, although many did try and almost always came off second best. Although I saw AH play, Lockhead and Colquhoun would have been a great battle, no quarter given or asked I imagine.

Back
Top Bottom