Ched Evans: How many goals for ANOTHER chance here?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ched Evans: How many goals for ANOTHER chance here?

• Total voters

I abhor what Evans did. That said, if Billy Sharp goes and does the same thing should we transfer list him?

Marcos Alonso scored the winner for Chelsea against Arsenal yesterday, after killing a 19 year old girl. Would you turn down him playing for us?

Its like nuclear weapons. I'd love us to give ours up, but only if everyone else does. Until then, we are stuck with scumbags so will have to use them for our advantage*.

*as long as they are good enough/in the club's best interest. King wasn't, Evans might be.

I would absolutely fucking hope so

Why is it relevant in a discussion about Ched Evans' worth as a footballer?

If you can ignore anything a footballer does in their personal life, then that’s your choice.

However, I do. I place great value in it actually, and for the utterly appalling actions of Mr. Evans, I can never wish his success, nor do I choose to want to support him.

It’s your right to separate the man and the footballer. Just as it is my right to see them as one. I hate the guy, and wish him no success in his life, particularly at SUFC.

I abhor what Evans did. That said, if Billy Sharp goes and does the same thing should we transfer list him?

Marcos Alonso scored the winner for Chelsea against Arsenal yesterday, after killing a 19 year old girl. Would you turn down him playing for us?

Its like nuclear weapons. I'd love us to give ours up, but only if everyone else does. Until then, we are stuck with scumbags so will have to use them for our advantage*.

*as long as they are good enough/in the club's best interest. King wasn't, Evans might be.

Didn't know that about Marcus Alonso, but after a quick googling he has gone massively down in my book. Horrendous past.

PS the nuclear weapons comparison is laughable.

Scoring goals in league 1 is no guarantee of goals in the championship.

That said, if he keeps scoring then he should be called back after Christmas to give us another option or we should try Lavery. Im not sure either Lavery or Ched are the answer, I think Brooks was, but hey ho.

I remember Ched scoring lots with Chesterfield early in the season 2 years ago and then he got injured and did nothing for the rest of the season.

The key issue with Ched is can he stay fit?

Gavlar blader

I honestly respect the position you have taken, and admire the consistency you've shown (forgive me if that sounds patronizing, its not meant to be).

For me, if Marcus Alonso wanted to sign for us, I'd find it difficult to not want him to because if we didn't someone else would to our detriment.

If Sharp (or any of our players) was to cheat on his girlfriend, I wouldn't want us to ditch him for the same reason, so long as he apologized of course.

Thing is, I'm weary of scumbags playing against us week in week out

Ched got jailed for a hideous crime but served his time and then eventually cleared his name in a court of law!!.
He’s doing well for fleetwood at the moment but It is league 1. Wilder will no doubt be keeping his eye on his form and if he thinks that ched can improve the squad in January then he’ll bring him back. Personally I doubt it and wish ched all the best in his future career. I M H O.

Billy has scored 3 this year, how many goals does he need until everyone is off his back?

Where the fuck does this myth come from about everyone being anti-Billy. Everyone I know loves him. Everyone who sits around me loves him. Everyone acknowledges he's a club legend. There's one or two (OK one) on this forum who keeps repeating this ad infinitum and it's now got to pig levels where if you repeat it often enough people start to believe it. What a load of bollocks.

Scored again yesterday making it 2/3 for Fleetwood in league one. His loan spell expires in January, I imagine we don't have a recall clause.

If someone kept that scoring rate up and was available for free, we'd surely want them here? (I used the same logic for George Long with clean sheets etc)

I imagine that with better players around him he could do well here as long as he is match fit, and if Clarke and Sharp aren't too old then he isn't either.

Would we rather have him or Lavery on the bench?

However.... there's so much baggage/pressure and it didn't work out before so why would it this time? Surely we should be looking to recruit someone else and not ever have to rely on him again (*ahem improve scouting abroad network*)

UTB

Do you count Cheds when you can’t sleep at night?

Gavlar blader

I honestly respect the position you have taken, and admire the consistency you've shown (forgive me if that sounds patronizing, its not meant to be).

For me, if Marcus Alonso wanted to sign for us, I'd find it difficult to not want him to because if we didn't someone else would to our detriment.

If Sharp (or any of our players) was to cheat on his girlfriend, I wouldn't want us to ditch him for the same reason, so long as he apologized of course.

The Ched thing for me is about his ability as a footballer, not his past criminal activities as he has been cleared of them.

As for Alonso, what he did was utterly abhorrent from what i've read. I don't care how good he is, what he did is like Luke McCormick at Plymouth, and Lee Hughes, they
don't deserve any respect for me.

Gavlar blader

Interesting you should say that, has Ched actually publicly apologised for what he did? I genuinely don’t know the answer to that question.

Where the fuck does this myth come from about everyone being anti-Billy. Everyone I know loves him. Everyone who sits around me loves him. Everyone acknowledges he's a club legend. There's one or two (OK one) on this forum who keeps repeating this ad infinitum and it's now got to pig levels where if you repeat it often enough people start to believe it. What a load of bollocks.

Mate I was joking.

Scored again yesterday making it 2/3 for Fleetwood in league one. His loan spell expires in January, I imagine we don't have a recall clause.

If someone kept that scoring rate up and was available for free, we'd surely want them here? (I used the same logic for George Long with clean sheets etc)

I imagine that with better players around him he could do well here as long as he is match fit, and if Clarke and Sharp aren't too old then he isn't either.

Would we rather have him or Lavery on the bench?

However.... there's so much baggage/pressure and it didn't work out before so why would it this time? Surely we should be looking to recruit someone else and not ever have to rely on him again (*ahem improve scouting abroad network*)

UTB

Don’t know but I’m chuffed for the lad. Just what he needs to have regular games and be scoring again. The psychological pressure that lad is having to overcome is enormous and whatever anyone thinks about his past, he deserves this chance to resume his career and I really believe that, for any player, confidence is a huge factor in playing well. This will do him no end of good.

Go rip it up Ched lad! Whether he comes back here or not I’d like to think the lad will still have a career in football.

If the same Evans comes back from Fleetwood as the lad who ripped us a new one for chesterfield a few seasons back I wouldn’t mind him back as a squad filler

At this point I am pondering whether we have an August recall due to our severe lack of options

If Evans can be an asset to the club, then he will be back, regardless of any comments on here, and the manager will make the right call in January either way. Hopefully he can come back and make a positive contribution.

If he gets 20 games under his belt and manages to score 10 or more goals then he’ll be well on his way for a return in Jan, we will need the depth for the run in.

If we found out every shady thing our players have ever done, and got rid of them because we're all obviously better human beings and we can't have filth like that representing our club, we'd have no players left.

Well, we'd have Richard Stearman left, he's a really nice bloke.

Interesting you should say that, has Ched actually publicly apologised for what he did? I genuinely don’t know the answer to that question.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30727380

He did apologize, its hard to tell but I think he's moved on and isn't a scumbag anymore and I'm inclined to agree with SteveBlade , sadly we don't live in a world where footballers are role-models.

I only found out about Marcus Alonso's dark history relatively recently, it would have been interesting to see if people would be against us signing him in relation to this issue but the debate has long passed.

As the poll, there's almost the same amount of people who want him gone asap and those who want him to stay no-matter what as long as he is match fit, with the read on average wanting him to score another 10-15 goals.

As with all loan players out at the moment they will be reassessed in January, but its intriguing to see what people judge as 'success'.

UTB, the club first as always

Why is it relevant in a discussion about Ched Evans' worth as a footballer to Sheffield United?
But it does. For instance for resale value, if he now returns to his one good season form and is available to transfer I bet the list of clubs still not wanting to sign him is significantly longer than those that do, and those that do won’t include clubs anywhere near the top of the Championship.

Whatever your view, his history will affect other clubs judgement, not to mention his record since returning, and I doubt scoring a few goals for Fleetwood will alter that.

A lot will depend on whether we bring anyone else in this month/Jan and let's face it, not many players have survived being sent out on loan under Tufty.

If he plays 90% of the time between now and Jan, gets into double figures and looks sharp (pardon the pun), then it's a no lose gamble to bring him back. I suspect though, given all of the above, we won't see him in a United shirt again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30727380

He did apologize, its hard to tell but I think he's moved on and isn't a scumbag anymore and I'm inclined to agree with SteveBlade , sadly we don't live in a world where footballers are role-models.

I only found out about Marcus Alonso's dark history relatively recently, it would have been interesting to see if people would be against us signing him in relation to this issue but the debate has long passed.

As the poll, there's almost the same amount of people who want him gone asap and those who want him to stay no-matter what as long as he is match fit, with the read on average wanting him to score another 10-15 goals.

As with all loan players out at the moment they will be reassessed in January, but its intriguing to see what people judge as 'success'.

UTB, the club first as always

I hadn’t seen that, but what a cleverly worded ‘apology’. That isn’t an apology or any show or remorse for his actions in the slightest. It’s when the misses boots off with you and you say ‘I’m sorry you feel like that’ which is in no way an admission of guilt or apology, and you know that, I’m sure of it!

He doesn’t regret what he did, he certainly has never apologised for his actions, that’s a legally led statement that does not apologise.

I also have to take you up on your final statement ‘the club first as always’. Got to say mate, that’s somewhat concerning. If you prioritise the good of the club over any kind of moral stand point, where does it stop? Would you accept racists? Homophobes? Being racist is not breaking the law, but it’s morally objectionable to you surely? But you are saying that as long as they’re a good footballer you’ll be happy to have them? Hope you don’t stand by that.

Would you accept racists? Homophobes? Being racist is not breaking the law, but it’s morally objectionable to you surely? But you are saying that as long as they’re a good footballer you’ll be happy to have them? Hope you don’t stand by that.

What about people with slightly suspect views?
People who have not been convincted or charged in any way, but you supsect may be a little bit racist or homophobic?
Would you propose a 5 day personality test with trust drugs, water boarding and mock executions just to try and tease out any non PC tendencies?

It's a football club employing testosterone fuelled young men to run around and kick things. It is not a monastery.

Chess exactly the type of striker we need. If he can get fit and firing it's a no brainer.
I wasn't 100 % convinced he could do it but he's started off well, and if he keeps it up he will be back which can only be a good thing.
I find it so odd how people can't forgive him for cheating on his Mrs but his Mrs can.

I hadn’t seen that, but what a cleverly worded ‘apology’. That isn’t an apology or any show or remorse for his actions in the slightest. It’s when the misses boots off with you and you say ‘I’m sorry you feel like that’ which is in no way an admission of guilt or apology, and you know that, I’m sure of it!

He doesn’t regret what he did, he certainly has never apologised for his actions, that’s a legally led statement that does not apologise.

I also have to take you up on your final statement ‘the club first as always’. Got to say mate, that’s somewhat concerning. If you prioritise the good of the club over any kind of moral stand point, where does it stop? Would you accept racists? Homophobes? Being racist is not breaking the law, but it’s morally objectionable to you surely? But you are saying that as long as they’re a good footballer you’ll be happy to have them? Hope you don’t stand by that.

He also apologised after his acquittal here and immediately after his release:

'I wish to make it clear that I wholeheartedly apologise to anyone who might have been affected by the events of the night in question.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-29727120/rapist-footballer-evans-in-video-statement

http://chedevans.com/

I'm sure he regrets what he did and genuinely feels remorseful for the trouble his actions set in motion on many levels, especially after serving 2.5 years in prison. The other statement was made during an appeal where it had to be cleverly worded or else it could have jeopardized the hearings/re-trial.

---

Ah, by that I meant 'the best interest's of the club' rather than of Ched Evans, happy to clear that up.

Although its an interesting question you raise, though understand that some are bored to tears with it so I'll happily continue this discussion off-topic should you with.

Andre Gray made some very nasty homophobic statements on twitter but plays week in week out for Burnley, and of course John Terry did so for Villa and Chelsea after allegedly making racist remarks (supported by an FA inquiry).

Personally I'd take it on a case-by-case basis, its very hard to make a 'one-size-fits-all rule.' Admittedly who is 100% for sure whether anyone's apology is sincere? Where is the line drawn? Should one offence kick you out for ever?

It goes well beyond football, Kevin Williamson was fired from the Atlantic for controversial comments yet Sarah Jeong kept her job at the New York Times.

People who have not been convincted or charged in any way, but you supsect may be a little bit racist or homophobic?
Would you propose a 5 day personality test with trust drugs, water boarding and mock executions just to try and tease out any non PC tendencies?

It's a football club employing testosterone fuelled young men to run around and kick things. It is not a monastery.

Yes, what if a player was a well known supporter of UKIP?

Or even the Conservative party.....

;)

If the same Evans comes back from Fleetwood as the lad who ripped us a new one for chesterfield a few seasons back I wouldn’t mind him back as a squad filler

At this point I am pondering whether we have an August recall due to our severe lack of options

Ripped us a new one?

Here's the highlights of said game. Can you tell me which bit involves him 'ripping us a new one'?

Ah fuck it, let’s just play scumbags then. Ched is an abhorrent human, but your point makes sense. Let’s get every c*** off the street and pick them seen as you obviously place no value in the players as humans.

I find it astonishing people can see past what Evans did to be honest, and will just make any excuse to justify him being here. The guy is a c***, I will never support him and I know there are thousands of blades who feel the same.

If you want to, that’s your choice, but I refuse to want him to succeed. This case has brought out the worst in football fans to me, blind support for the club clouding their moral judgement.

To respond to you directly, yes, I would not want us to sign any player that has previously made any racist or offensive comments.i want good footballers but not at the expense of having to support people I dislike.

Let’s be clear, Ched hasn’t been ‘suspected’ of doing what he did. He did it. And I judge him for that in a very negative way.

Back
Top Bottom