Burnley v Hull City tonight. Memories

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

cahill

Reaction score
Thirty years ago. Anyone on here go to this fixture 30 years ago when Hull had to win by 3 goals to beat the Blades to promotion ? Loads of Blades there supporting Burnley and Hull went into a quick 2 goal lead but somehow Burnley held on to ensure a Blades promotion, can't remember which division we were in, old 3rd division I think. Brian Marwood who was Hull's main man left the field in tears. I seem to recall Colin Morris said that being there was one of the worst decisions he ever made. Have to agrre with him, extremely tense to say the least

Thirty years ago. Anyone on here go to this fixture 30 years ago when Hull had to win by 3 goals to beat the Blades to promotion ? Loads of Blades there supporting Burnley and Hull went into a quick 2 goal lead but somehow Burnley held on to ensure a Blades promotion, can't remember which division we were in, old 3rd division I think. Brian Marwood who was Hull's main man left the field in tears. I seem to recall Colin Morris said that being there was one of the worst decisions he ever made. Have to agrre with him, extremely tense to say the least

It wa 15th May 1984. It was in the the third division. Oxford and Wimbledon had already been promoted and the third place was up for grabs (no play offs then). Going into the last Saturday of the season (12th May), ourselves, Hull and Bristol Rovers still had a chance of that place. The table looked like this

3. Sheffield United P45 pts 80 GD + 31
4. Hull P44 pts 79 GD +31
5. Bristol Rovers P45 pts 78 GD +14.

On that Saturday, we were playing Newport and home and Hull and Bristol Rovers were playing each other at Hull. We had a routine 2-0 win whereas Hull and Bristol Rovers drew 0-0, meaning the latter were out of it and the table now looked thus:

3. Sheffield United P46 pts 83 GD +33
4. Hull P45 pts 80 GD +31.

Hull still had that game at Burnley left on the Tuesday (that would not, of course, be allowed to happen these days) and, as we had scored 86 goals to Hull's 69, needed to win by 3 to overhaul us on GD (unless they won 18-16 :)). I remember the Star reporting on the Monday Wednesday manager Howard Wilkinson saying he thought United would be ok and pointing out no team had won by 3 away from home on the Saturday . That gave me a bit of confidence...

Come the Tuesday, I was glued to radio Sheffield, which those days just had score updates and 15 minute reports from the grounds. After 2 minutes, Marwood scored for Hull. Bugger! However, the first half wound its way along and the score stayed at 1-0 at half time.

In the second half we went over to Radio Humberside for live commentary, which, as you can imagine was rather Hull centric. However, we got half way through the half and it was still 1-0 and I was starting to relax slightly until that bugger Marwood went and scored again. There were now 20 plus minutes for Hull to get a third against a team with nowt to play for and I settled down to await the inevitable.

Miracously (perhaps the only time in history the football gods have looked kindly on us), a third goal did not come. With 5 mins to go and Hull pressing like mad, Burnley got a break and the commentary went something like this "and Burnley break and [however he was] is steaming down the right wing, he gets the cross in and there is Billy Hamilton on his own 6 yards out, he must score.... and he heads it over the bar! A real let off for Hull there. Come on you Tigers, finish the job"! Cue me with "you useless fucking bastard Hamilton, you could have put me out of my misery".

There then followed 5 minutes plus of nailbiting agony, but Hull didn't really threaten. The final whistle went and the commentator said "tragedy for Hull tonight as they miss out on promotion by the narrowest of margins". The feed went back to radio Sheffield then and Robert Jackson said "it's not a tragedy at all as Sheffield United are promoted".

Me? I was flat on my back breathing heavily....

They just said on the news tonights football comes from the Championship Burnley vs Hull and I immediately thought back to that night. Funny how these things get you!

....and in those days, all we had was a radio sports bulletin on the hour. Tell these kids today and they don't believe you :rolleyes:

Outside a pub in Hebden Bridge on the way home at 10.30 waving to the Hull fans was one of the finest pints Ive ever had. I went with 4 lads who I never go to matches with and saw all of them at Brentford away last season ,it was the first topic of conversation.

I don't think I have been as nervous for any match the United have played, It was amazing that at home I was pacing about all night, and I got worse and worse till it was over. How can you get worked up as much as I did when it is 2 other teams playing.

I recall the night very well. Pre-match was very quiet and on the 'KOP' there were lots of recognisable blades (without colours obviously) infiltrating the Burnley home supporters. Just before kick off there was a bit of a charge and the home supporters ran to the top corner, but it was soon sorted and only handbags really. As for the game, it's been well documented above and I just remember slipping away quietly at the end, getting in my car and going absolutely berserk much to the bewilderment of my then girlfriend (think she thought I was a nutter and it didn't last much longer). Well worth it though!

I was working as an Area Manager for RS McColl at the time and was covering the shop at Pentland Road in Dronfield Woodhouse. After the shop had closed I went down to the Lane Social Club to listen to the live commentary by Radio Sheffield and had a few pints to settle my nerves. When the game had finished a reporter and photographer from the Morning Telegraph, Sheffield's own morning paper, came in to the Social Club to take a few photos of jubilant Blades celebrating promotion.

I finished up getting a taxi back to the shop at 1.00am where I slept, until I was woke up by the morning newspaper delivery driver around 5.00am. I opened the newspaper parcels to read about the Blades getting promotion and was met by seeing my photo in the Morning Telegraph on the front page, along with many other Blades, which was taken only a few hours previously.

I still have a copy of the paper but I've no idea on how to scan it and post it on here, sorry.

I went to the game got there about 10 mins late and Hull were already winning.
The next hour and a half was one of the most nervous Ive ever been at a game fair play to Burnley they managed to keep Hull at bay and send us up

The most frightening thing about this is that - though it seems like only yesterday - both my kids are now older than I was then!

I was working as an Area Manager for RS McColl at the time and was covering the shop at Pentland Road in Dronfield Woodhouse. After the shop had closed I went down to the Lane Social Club to listen to the live commentary by Radio Sheffield and had a few pints to settle my nerves. When the game had finished a reporter and photographer from the Morning Telegraph, Sheffield's own morning paper, came in to the Social Club to take a few photos of jubilant Blades celebrating promotion.

I finished up getting a taxi back to the shop at 1.00am where I slept, until I was woke up by the morning newspaper delivery driver around 5.00am. I opened the newspaper parcels to read about the Blades getting promotion and was met by seeing my photo in the Morning Telegraph on the front page, along with many other Blades, which was taken only a few hours previously.

I still have a copy of the paper but I've no idea on how to scan it and post it on here, sorry.

Ask someone else to scan it for us Mick please, if you can find it. Go on! I have some old Blades News's I can put extracts on!

I was also listening on my little pocket radio, tuned in to Medium Wave possibly. Was only young but stayed awake in bed until I found out we had done it!

I also remember the Colin Morris interview, he said he aged 10 years in one night!

Nice to see SQuinny scored tonight.

I had a medium wave radio with Tony the Tiger from the Frosties advert on it, pressed up against my sound scoop as I paced the streets of Greenhill (where my then bird lived), so I could listen to blow by blow coverage without getting mithered by attila the hen. Just waiting for the inevitable third goal to go in if I remember, and I can still recall the elation and amazement of realising we had done it. Them were the days.

Main recollections are the heroics by the Burnley goalie and defense in that second half. How they kept the ball out from 2-0 on I will never know. They had nowt to play for but the amazing backing of the hundreds of Blades behind their goal kept them going. At the final whistle to a man they turned round and applauded us, must have been the best support they ever had.

One of my first proper memories of being a Blade. Weirdly I was only 6 but can remember it fairly well.

I had been to a few games on the Kop that season (Orient 6-3 sticks out as my Dad made us leave at 3-2 to them as we were parked near Sheaf Quays!)

That night like many I was at home pacing around with Robert Jackson (used to love him on Radio Sheffield - soothing voice who was not a know it all who patronised callers like those on today - apologies to Paul Walker who I think is more reasonable). The result came through and my Dad lifted me up onto his shoulders on our upstairs landing (vividly remember where we were) and then said it was bed time as I had school the next day.

Its occasions like this that do stir a tear in my eye (Dad no longer on this earth - died 10 years ago this Novemeber coming). Great memories when everything in life seemed so simple (no morgage, money/job worries and all you had to care about was having a kick about with your mates, enjoying your Mum's tea and watching the Blades - school was just something in the middle!).

The odd times I buy the Green Un these days (more for nostalgia than anything else) it is odd to see 25 years ago now nearing Bassett's tenure (or at it now?). Getting very old!

I was at a birthday party, but considering we were teenagers it was rather a calm affair, in that we had a sit-down homemade curry and all behaved impeccably (bearing in mind one month later I was at the Stonehenge Free Festival it really does seem unbelievable).

And so amongst all this formality and niceness, it seemed quite natural for me to ask if we could tune in to Radio Sheffield, and I then spent the last ten minutes of the Burnley/Hull game glued to the radio. I was just incredibly relieved by the end.

Me? I was flat on my back breathing heavily....

Not for the last time as it turns out...

You could take a photo and upload it.

Darren - when was teh last time we secured promotion at home?

From, my admittedly sketchy memory

1982 - Away at Darlington - or were we already up by then when did we secure promotion???
1984 - Hull didn`t beat Burnley
1989 - Away at Wolves/Bristol City
1990 - Away at Leicester
2006 - Leeds didn`t beat Reading

Certainly hasn`t happened in the last 30 years... 4 promotions in 30 years, how depressing...

I was there with a mate, courtesy of his battered little mini. We asked a policeman where the United fans would be, he seemed dumbfounded, saying we'd got the wrong match, this was Burnley v Hull, was surprised to hear that there would be a few hundred unitedites there. We sat in the stand very civilised but incredibly tense!

UTB

Not for the last time as it turns out...

You could take a photo and upload it.

Darren - when was teh last time we secured promotion at home?

From, my admittedly sketchy memory

1982 - Away at Darlington - or were we already up by then when did we secure promotion???
1984 - Hull didn`t beat Burnley
1989 - Away at Wolves/Bristol City
1990 - Away at Leicester
2006 - Leeds didn`t beat Reading

Certainly hasn`t happened in the last 30 years... 4 promotions in 30 years, how depressing...

The last time we won promotion at home was when we beat Watford 3-0 on 1st May 1971.

In 1982 Hereford's 2-1 win over Peterborough on 5th May 1982 (the day after we beat Rochdale 3-1 at the Lane) meant the latter couldn't overtake us and thus we could not finish lower than 4th.

The last time we won promotion at home was when we beat Watford 3-0 on 1st May 1971.

In 1982 Hereford's 2-1 win over Peterborough on 5th May 1982 (the day after we beat Rochdale 3-1 at the Lane) meant the latter couldn't overtake us and thus we could not finish lower than 4th.

So over 40 years. And with our home form the way it is, seems unlikely to happen this year!!!!

It wa 15th May 1984. It was in the the third division. Oxford and Wimbledon had already been promoted and the third place was up for grabs (no play offs then). .

And if there were still no stupid play offs we would have had 4 more promotions , including last season

I had a medium wave radio with Tony the Tiger from the Frosties advert on it, pressed up against my sound scoop as I paced the streets of Greenhill (where my then bird lived), so I could listen to blow by blow coverage without getting mithered by attila the hen. Just waiting for the inevitable third goal to go in if I remember, and I can still recall the elation and amazement of realising we had done it. Them were the days.

Have you got any similar stories about going up in 2006?

I can still remember a phone call from my sister mentioning someone was going crackers round at her house and had cracked open a bottle of Champagne, and by all account an interesting night was had by all in Plymouth!

And if there were still no stupid play offs we would have had 4 more promotions , including last season

Only 3 - 2003, 2009 and 2012 - in 97 and 98 we qualified for the play offs in 5th and 6th place respectively.

On that night I was on a works outing at Grindleford gliding club having my one and only ever flight in a glider, and was driving on the ring road , Ridgeway road and nearly ran off the road when the result came on as Id forgotten all about it with being airborne .Glad Id been distracted.

Oxford United
46​
28​
11​
7​
91​
50​
95​
Promoted
Wimbledon
46​
26​
9​
11​
97​
76​
87​
Promoted
Sheffield United
46​
24​
11​
11​
86​
53​
83​
Promoted
Hull City
46​
23​
14​
9​
71​
38​
83​
Bristol Rovers
46​
22​
13​
11​
68​
54​
79​
Walsall
46​
22​
9​
15​
68​
61​
75​
Bradford City
46​
20​
11​
15​
73​
65​
71​
Gillingham
46​
20​
10​
16​
74​
69​
70​
Millwall
46​
18​
13​
15​
71​
65​
67​
Bolton Wanderers
46​
18​
10​
18​
56​
60​
64​
Orient
46​
18​
9​
19​
71​
81​
63​
Burnley
46​
16​
14​
16​
76​
61​
62​
Newport County
46​
16​
14​
16​
58​
75​
62​
Lincoln City
46​
17​
10​
19​
59​
62​
61​
Wigan Athletic
46​
16​
13​
17​
46​
56​
61​
Preston North End
46​
15​
11​
20​
66​
66​
56​
Bournemouth
46​
16​
7​
23​
63​
73​
55​
Rotherham United
46​
15​
9​
22​
57​
64​
54​
Plymouth Argyle
46​
13​
12​
21​
56​
62​
51​
Brentford
46​
11​
16​
19​
69​
79​
49​
Scunthorpe United
46​
9​
19​
18​
54​
73​
46​
Relegated
Southend United
46​
10​
14​
22​
55​
76​
44​
Relegated
Port Vale
46​
11​
10​
25​
51​
83​
43​
Relegated
Exeter City
46​
6​
15​
25​
50​
84​
33​
Relegated

Oxford United
46​
28​
11​
7​
91​
50​
95​
Promoted
Wimbledon
46​
26​
9​
11​
97​
76​
87​
Promoted
Sheffield United
46​
24​
11​
11​
86​
53​
83​
Promoted
Hull City
46​
23​
14​
9​
71​
38​
83​
Bristol Rovers
46​
22​
13​
11​
68​
54​
79​
Walsall
46​
22​
9​
15​
68​
61​
75​
Bradford City
46​
20​
11​
15​
73​
65​
71​
Gillingham
46​
20​
10​
16​
74​
69​
70​
Millwall
46​
18​
13​
15​
71​
65​
67​
Bolton Wanderers
46​
18​
10​
18​
56​
60​
64​
Orient
46​
18​
9​
19​
71​
81​
63​
Burnley
46​
16​
14​
16​
76​
61​
62​
Newport County
46​
16​
14​
16​
58​
75​
62​
Lincoln City
46​
17​
10​
19​
59​
62​
61​
Wigan Athletic
46​
16​
13​
17​
46​
56​
61​
Preston North End
46​
15​
11​
20​
66​
66​
56​
Bournemouth
46​
16​
7​
23​
63​
73​
55​
Rotherham United
46​
15​
9​
22​
57​
64​
54​
Plymouth Argyle
46​
13​
12​
21​
56​
62​
51​
Brentford
46​
11​
16​
19​
69​
79​
49​
Scunthorpe United
46​
9​
19​
18​
54​
73​
46​
Relegated
Southend United
46​
10​
14​
22​
55​
76​
44​
Relegated
Port Vale
46​
11​
10​
25​
51​
83​
43​
Relegated
Exeter City
46​
6​
15​
25​
50​
84​
33​
Relegated
Division 3

Went on shreds coach about 150 blades behind goal on the open stand

Working afters at Fletcher's Bakery and listening to the bulletins on an old tranny radio.
All I remember was the presenter with about 10 mins to go saying something like, 'When a goal is scored a red light goes on in the studio and we'll let you know straight away'
Man that was a long 10 minutes.

Reactions: Dkc

Back
Top Bottom