Bulk of the Squad

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Should we keep the Bulk of the Squad

• YES

Votes: 127 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 55 30.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi Stegosaurus here

Yes, some like McBurnie and Lundstram are irreplacable. I know people say Lunny is lazy and doesn't do much, but he's a team leader. You wouldn't have General Patton charging a machinegun nest. He'd stand back and get others do the work. Lead from the back.

Lunny is our Patton.

KEEP (or try to): Ramsdale, Baldock, Egan, Bash, JOC, Bogle, Stevens, Osborn, Fleck, Sharp, Didz, Brewster

SELL: Berge, McBurnie

RID: Foderingham, Robinson, Rodwell, Jagielka, Bryan, Lowe, Lundstram, Mousset, Burke,

FLIP A COIN: Verrips, Freeman
Decent shout. But a lot on here see Billy and Mcgoldrick through Rose tinted glasses. Ashame but we need a quick return if possible not sentiment. I think that's where Wilder went wrong by sticking with the old guard a season too long.

Should be kept for next season,says Heckingbtm,you only have to look at the teams that went down last season to see it makes sense.

(Or words to that effect),as all 3 are in the top 6.

I must admit to being bemused by this widely held belief among Blades that a lot of our players having been complete shite for over a year are suddenly going to be great because they've gone down a division.
If you're slow, can't complete a pass, can't cross a ball, can't mark and can't hit the target how is that suddenly going to come good because you're playing Huddersfield instead of Everton?

The grass, balls and goals are the same in the championship as far as I remember.

Hi Stegosaurus here

Yes, some like McBurnie and Lundstram are irreplacable. I know people say Lunny is lazy and doesn't do much, but he's a team leader. You wouldn't have General Patton charging a machinegun nest. He'd stand back and get others do the work. Lead from the back.

Lunny is our Patton.
Hi Stegosaurus

I always appreciate your posts. As you say McBurnie and Lunny are irreplacable.....but with our relegation confirmed it is inevitable that some players will think that the grass is greener elsewhere. However, we should move quickly to replace them - I think we should invest our £46 million of parachute payments in cheeky bids for Jordan Rhodes and Joey Pelupessy to fill the gaps.....what do you think?

Hi Stegosaurus

I always appreciate your posts. As you say McBurnie and Lunny are irreplacable.....but with our relegation confirmed it is inevitable that some players will think that the grass is greener elsewhere. However, we should move quickly to replace them - I think we should invest our £46 million of parachute payments in cheeky bids for Jordan Rhodes and Joey Pelupessy to fill the gaps.....what do you think?

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Rhodes will add some much needed firepower upfront. Instead of Pelypessy, I'd go for Tom Lees as a replacement for JOC when he moves.

Not necessarily an "overhaul", as we have the makings of a strong 11. And to me an overhaul would be ripping up core of the squad.

On the assumption Berge goes, a starting line 11 as beneath looks pretty decent to be pushing for promotion.

Rambo
Bogle
RND
Egan
Bash
JOC
Fleck
Mid Needed
Mid Needed
Any of current
Any of current

Obviously 2 new starting midfielders needed and are crucial, alongside some strengthening of the squad / replace deadwood.

Like many, I'd lose no sleep if the following left

Foderingham
Jags
Bryan
Robinson
Rodwell
Stevens
Freeman
Lundstram
Mousset
Burke

In reality expect Fod, Stevens, Robinson and Burke to stay.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Rhodes will add some much needed firepower upfront. Instead of Pelypessy, I'd go for Tom Lees as a replacement for JOC when he moves.
Hmmm. Tom Lees to replace JOC.........Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know that I would never ever have thought of that?

Hmmm. Tom Lees to replace JOC.........Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know that I would never ever have thought of that?
Hi, Stego here

That's becausr I have an astute footballing mind. It's why I do so well on Football Manager.

Hi, Stego here

That's becausr I have an astute footballing mind. It's why I do so well on Football Manager.
Stego,

Before I retired I worked in an office and Lunny reminds me of the office "bluenose" does fuck all all time but, when manager appears starts moving papers about and trying to look busy. I want us to do well next season but I cannot see how we can go from total dogshit to challenging for promotion, I hope I'm wrong but let's see.

I'm not sure that Egan is worth keeping given he's likely to be in demand and is one of the few saleable assets. He's also easier to replace than someone like Berge. If someone offered £15m for him it'd be a good deal, particularly if you can then pick up someone who'd allow us to build through the middle as an alternative to the wings. I like Egan but he's technically limited.

Tipping Tyler Smith for a good breakthrough season next year
The one area of the squad we're overstocked is centre forward (well, that and goalkeeper). Realistically, noone is going to bid what we'd deem an acceptable amount for McBurnie, McGoldrick, Sharp, Burke or Brewster which means that at best Smith will be sixth choice. If we can't shift Mousset then he'll be seventh choice and at 21 he needs to be playing regularly.

The one area of the squad we're overstocked is centre forward (well, that and goalkeeper). Realistically, noone is going to bid what we'd deem an acceptable amount for McBurnie, McGoldrick, Sharp, Burke or Brewster which means that at best Smith will be sixth choice. If we can't shift Mousset then he'll be seventh choice and at 21 he needs to be playing regularly.
Would rather see him in the side ahead of McG, Sharp, McB and Burke though...with the potential exception of McB.

Burke could be useful as a winger in the championship but he needs to be as far away from key moments as possible really...ideally I'd like to see him shipped out, would happily lose out in order to get rid of him.

Not my money though is it 😅

Burks the joker in the pack. Would he find enough space in the Chamionship to use his explosive speed. If he could and the new manager could find a way to use it effectivly and provide for our strikers i would certainly keep him. He could cause havoc with championship defences. Theres a chance he could make a big difference. We will have to wait and see.

I'd broadly agree with this.

The Berge sale will be hard to swallow because I think he'll go to be one of Europe's top midfielders, but I suppose we're selling to progress again and we could make up the bulk of the £40m from his sale.

Equally, I'm reluctant to lose Enda as he's clearly a confidence player so I wouldn't write him off just yet. When he's good, he's a joy to watch. But he has been woeful this season and if there is a market for him, we should sell - esp. with RND, Lowe, Osborn capable of filling in at Champ level.

If we can keep Egan, JOC, Bash then that should give us the basis for a top half finish. Sprinkle in some midfield creativity/goals with a Mowatt or a Hourihane type player and we're starting to look good for a play-offs at worse campaign.

Biggest concern is the strikers and we need to cross our fingers that poorer opposition and more creative play can unlock the potential of Brewster and McBurnie - if we see the Brewster and McB that played for Swansea at this level, then we're good to go. Let's hope this season has not caused irreparable damage.
I'm at a loss as to how Berge will be one of Europe's top players, he did naff all in premier league ( just my opinion)

To be honest, there aren't many I'd be disappointed to lose based on the shite we've been dished up this season, maybe only Bogle, McGoldick, Ramsdale (improved as the season went on), Osborn and O'Connell if he's fit.

Lundstram, Bryan, Jagielka, Moore and Rodwell are all out of contract and can go.

Looking at players who are out of contract in 2022, we've got Mousset, McGoldrick, Baldock, Basham, Robinson, Osborn and Sharp.

Osborn has something to offer as an upgraded Nick Montgomery. Baldock's a decent player, would I keep him beyond next season, jury's out. I'd be packing Mousset off on loan to France for the last year of his deal. Robinson can go on loan or be paid up and released and as for McGoldrick, Basham and Sharp, all have been fantastic servant to the club but ultimately, time's up.

Problem we've got is with the likes of Burke, Stevens, Fleck, Norwood, Foderingham and McBurnie is that we're stuck with them for another 2 seasons. I live in some faint hope that McBurnie might come good but the rest either aren't good enough or have had their day and unless we forcibly remove them, I don't think we'll have very many chasing their signatures.

Hi Stegosaurus here

Lunny is our Patton.
I suggest that you look up the military history of Patton

One of the big things with any offloading is making sure we have add on clauses, similar to the Harry Maguire deal where in future years we can still benefit Berge and possibly Ramsdale are probably the only 2 who realistically could play at a higher level.

Bring Luke Freeman back as a 10 and build the team around him. Surely under a new manager he might be more motivated to play well for this club, especially if he's made more integral to the playing system.

Let’s hope for your car’s sake none of the last three want to go to Australia, the USA or Uzbekistan !
I'd give all of them individual piggybacks to the other side of the world if it meant they fucked off

KEEP (or try to): Ramsdale, Baldock, Egan, Bash, JOC, Bogle, Stevens, Osborn, Fleck, Sharp, Didz, Brewster

SELL: Berge, McBurnie

RID: Foderingham, Robinson, Rodwell, Jagielka, Bryan, Lowe, Lundstram, Mousset, Burke,

FLIP A COIN: Verrips, Freeman
My take exactly

You wouldn't get far with Mousset on your back unless you are actually an articulated lorry.
I've been hitting the gym specifically to carry him. I think the problems will arise when I have to stop for a KFC/McDonald's every 10 minutes, legs might start to lock up during the rest

Our weaknesses this season have been defence and midfield. Defence lost JOC and was then ravaged by injuries. If we get back JOC Egan and Bash we should ok but will need cover at CB. Robinson might do it in Champ but ideally we should recruit at least on other. Midfield has lacked athleticism and most importantly pace. We are just too slow allowing teams to get back and have players set to defend. Also pace up front but if we play quickly through midfield we give our strikers decent service to score goals.

Should be kept for next season,says Heckingbtm,you only have to look at the teams that went down last season to see it makes sense.

(Or words to that effect),as all 3 are in the top 6.
What has Heckingbottom impr regard the current shambles? He's fucking useless, being polite about it.

Cream rising to the top.
That hasn't happened before. My fear is that our trajectory is closer to Huddersfield's in terms of club profile and the 'expectedness' of the promotion to the Premier League and the results in the relegation season. Huddersfield finished 18th in their first season after relegation and are currently 20th.

In the past 5 seasons only Newcastle have gone straight back up in the top two. West Brom managed it in their second season down and Norwich in their third. Roughly one relegated side per season makes the playoffs in the subsequent season (Boro in 17/18; West Brom in 18/19 and both Cardiff & Fulham last season).

1619082580412.png

Back
Top Bottom