Brentford and beyond

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CPB

Reaction score
Wilder returns and last night was as we've all said much more like it in performance levels.

That has to be the start though, we can't be dropping back to anything less in terms of effort, press, aggression and desire.
We do need to see composure though but hopefully that will come when we have more of the ball too and are not mainly just looking to counter.

Refreshing to see some changes in line up and formation. Wonder if Brooks will start again come sat? He certainly did well for me.

The question to be asked is what has Chris and his team done to get that performance out of the players?

I don't think you can just put it down to new manager bounce. I also don't think it's down to upping the levels as it's Liverpool.

You wonder and this isn't trashing hecky but had it all gone very stale in training? Was the focus on just working on the same routines and principles and the lads just going through the motions?

What I saw last night was arguably one of or perhaps our best performance for 90mins considering the opposition.

Some players in particular, Bogle, Archer and Trusty really impressed.
Souza looked transformed for me, I'd nearly written him off as a player in my eyes but much much better last night.

I wonder if that bit of Wilder man management and team spirit has rubbed off on some players like mentioned above?

Chris seems in pretty good spirits too and is up for the challenge it would seem. He's got a bit of spice in his talk too it's what we probably need right now.

We may be the best project and option Wilder could have got at this moment in time but maybe, or hopefully..... Wilder might be the best option for us too?

Time wil tell and possibly quite quickly. Brentford next and they are good team.

We target each game for now and see if we can pick up wins and points not just performances.

Waking up today though and here's hoping that last night might have given us a bit of hope and maybe some incoming enjoyment to be had this season.

Wilder returns and last night was as we've all said much more like it in performance levels.

That has to be the start though, we can't be dropping back to anything less in terms of effort, press, aggression and desire.
We do need to see composure though but hopefully that will come when we have more of the ball too and are not mainly just looking to counter.

Refreshing to see some changes in line up and formation. Wonder if Brooks will start again come sat? He certainly did well for me.

The question to be asked is what has Chris and his team done to get that performance out of the players?

I don't think you can just put it down to new manager bounce. I also don't think it's down to upping the levels as it's Liverpool.

You wonder and this isn't trashing hecky but had it all gone very stale in training? Was the focus on just working on the same routines and principles and the lads just going through the motions?

What I saw last night was arguably one of or perhaps our best performance for 90mins considering the opposition.

Souza looked transformed for me, I'd nearly written him off as a player in my eyes but much much better last night.

I wonder if that bit of Wilder man management and team spirit has rubbed off on some players like mentioned above?

Chris seems in pretty good spirits too and is up for the challenge it would seem. He's got a bit of spice in his talk too it's what we probably need right now.

We may be the best project and option Wilder could have got at this moment in time but maybe, or hopefully..... Wilder might be the best option for us too?

Time wil tell and possibly quite quickly. Brentford next and they are good team.

We target each game for now and see if we can pick up wins and points not just performances.

Waking up today though and here's hoping that last night might have given us a bit of hope and maybe some incoming enjoyment to be had this season.
There was an improvement in every aspect of our game last night.
OK new manager bounce does have an effect!
Difference in Wilder getting at individual players ,singling them out for chats and Pats on the back,
The difference there is stark!Hecki a more reserved character ( that's him can't change that) is manager is best roll! Coaching as he says is his game so perhaps he will go back to that ..
Wilder is in ya face and demanding most managers have this trait..
Not getting at Hecki ! Did a great job getting us up.
Maybe still go down ! At least we can build something to have another go next season, still in with a chance with a breath of fresh air around the lane.
Looks like Brooksi is another find! Since he had a grow spurt his skill which was never in doubt has flourished ! Hopefully Wilder will use him more.
Hecki has blooded a few since he took charge hopefully Wilder will benefit from that.

Easy - treat every game like an FA cup game, they have now set the standard, we totally need to push on from this, 3pts on Saturday would be amazing, Brentford have serious injuries like ourselves so maybe a leveller.

UTB.

Easy - treat every game like an FA cup game, they have now set the standard, we totally need to push on from this, 3pts on Saturday would be amazing, Brentford have serious injuries like ourselves so maybe a leveller.

UTB.
I think that might be the intention.

What Wilder seems to have really got across last night is that if we don't win or draw, and even if we don't create too much (Given the opposition). We can forgive that.
But what was unforgivable was the apathetic press/fight and energy levels we seemed to show.

Earlier in the season to be fair to Hecky we did see more of that, and as the defeats, heavy defeats at that have come it's sapped away once the opposition score.

Wilders next task is to make sure that we continue to see that fight and energy, and then add in some better actual play with the ball. Do that and we will trouble teams a bit.

Still looks as if we'll have trouble scoring goals without McBurnie though Mbeumo being out is handy.
At this point happy enough to see better performances and some kind of plan on the pitch.

Shoot and shoot again. Also surely Archer has a left foot?
This. Villa had a shot on goal that deflected to beat Man City so you just never know where it might go.

Seems that Archer's left leg is just for standing on based on last night

Once Alan Shearer got anywhere within range of the goal, he used to smash the leather off it and he did alright for himself, maybe we should adopt the same policy. We've got nothing to lose.

Start working on set pieces.

Everytime we get a free kick near their goal then make the keeper work.
I think Alan Knill was influential last time on developing corner routines. Do it again.
JLT be creative with your thrown-ins - should always lead to keeper being tested.

We've shown that we are not prolific when it comes to scoring from open play. We need to take adavnatge of set plays. This should lead us to deliberately getting to the bye-lines and winning corners etc.

McAtee get in the penalty area and invite defenders to make rash challenges. Wilder should draw the media's attention to the fact that Mcatee has had 2 penalties refused this season after being blatantly pushed. In other words get into the referee's heads before kick off.

Last edited:
the set pieces last night were the best so far this season
sick of watching norwood float them straight into the first man.
i thought last night we looked like a championship team against an elite team and ive no problem with that going forward as the first time this season we didnt look levels below our opponents ,we made it hard for them ,scrappy and we were much braver in possesion.
play like that every week and points will come

I sincerely hope so. We did however still lose, not score and made very little chances. If this continues into Brentford, then nothing will have changed. It needs to happen with results fast.

What Wilder seems to have really got across last night is that if we don't win or draw, and even if we don't create too much (Given the opposition). We can forgive that.
But what was unforgivable was the apathetic press/fight and energy levels we seemed to show.

Earlier in the season to be fair to Hecky we did see more of that, and as the defeats, heavy defeats at that have come it's sapped away once the opposition score.

Wilders next task is to make sure that we continue to see that fight and energy, and then add in some better actual play with the ball. Do that and we will trouble teams a bit.
Can’t agree that we saw it earlier in the season we played very deep and very slow with no press outside our 25 yard line then hoof
Last night ws passed we moved more with anc without the ball than at any point this season bar probably Wolves for 30 minutes
The press worked because every player pressed not seem that at all tbh

Brooks was impressive and I think once Osula starts scoring he wont stop knocking them in.

Can’t agree that we saw it earlier in the season we played very deep and very slow with no press outside our 25 yard line then hoof
Last night ws passed we moved more with anc without the ball than at any point this season bar probably Wolves for 30 minutes
The press worked because every player pressed not seem that at all tbh
I agree it still wasn't as good as last night's press and we did sit deeper. But there was still more press and battle compared to recently. Recently it's looked not far off non existent.

Vs Man city we pressed better and had aggression. But like you say invited them on just that bit too much.

UTB.
What and drop 8 players and bring kids and squad players in ? We will get battered every week 🤣

The game that changed everything was Spurs away. To be that close to getting a result then having it snatched away must have been devastating. Never the same thereafter.

Back
Top Bottom