Bramall Lane Pitch Size

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

mattbianco1

Forum Royalty
Reaction score
In the "view from Southend" thread kindly provided as always by Roygbiv , one of their fans mentioned how big our pitch is.

Does anybody have the data to back this up? Is it really that big?

I checked wikipedia and we are listed as 112 x 72yrds. Roots Hall is 110 x 74

I remember growing up, I thought it was huge but then we narrowed it considerably for the Premiership season under Neil Warnock. Has the size crept back up unnoticed?

I'd be interested to see how it compares in size to other League 1 pitches.

If it is indeed massive in comparison, we should be using this to our advantage for home games and really stretch the opposition down the flanks.

I think the Bramall Lane pitch appears to be larger than it is because of the distance from the edge of the markings of the pitch to the stands, whereas at other grounds the perimeter is almost all given to the pitch - you couldn't drive cars around the edges of most football grounds in this country, like you can with ours

I'm pretty sure Vale Park still has the biggest pitch in the whole league. It's a remnant of their failed 'Wembley of The North' project from the 1930's.

I thought that it was set further in this year but that may be an optical illusion, ie the perimeter may extend further than it used to

In the "view from Southend" thread kindly provided as always by Roygbiv , one of their fans mentioned how big our pitch is.

Does anybody have the data to back this up? Is it really that big?

I checked wikipedia and we are listed as 112 x 72yrds. Roots Hall is 110 x 74

I remember growing up, I thought it was huge but then we narrowed it considerably for the Premiership season under Neil Warnock. Has the size crept back up unnoticed?

I'd be interested to see how it compares in size to other League 1 pitches.

If it is indeed massive in comparison, we should be using this to our advantage for home games and really stretch the opposition down the flanks.
It's not the size that counts but what you do on it

I reckon it's not as wide than it has been in recent seasons..

we have actually decreased our pitch by 2 yards in width and 3 yards in length this season , Adkins asked for it to nurture passing

we can go 125 yards x 76 yards
but are utilising 112 by 74

Glad to hear my eyes aren't deceiving me......

Whatever the size, the pitch is clearly too big to our players - half of them can't run...

Now that I think about it, shouldn't we be playing with a 'size 4' ball seeing as we have a side full of fucking dwarves
I think our players would be better served on a Subutteo pitch, afterall, it's easy to flick the fuckers all over :)

I think the Bramall Lane pitch appears to be larger than it is because of the distance from the edge of the markings of the pitch to the stands, whereas at other grounds the perimeter is almost all given to the pitch - you couldn't drive cars around the edges of most football grounds in this country, like you can with ours

Cars? That was about 1983. GT cars and Tc Harrison's. But I get your point!

No I've definately seen cars driven round a lot more recently than the early 80s.

Back
Top Bottom