Bogle

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Nathan Hemmingham wrote recently that Wilder said he’d been considering Bogle. But Hemmingham himself then said it’d be unlikely he’d start him against West Ham as Baldock could rightly feel aggrieved about playing a run of the toughest games of the season before being replaced for our first easier game in a long while. Point is I don’t think Bogle is miles off. Only covering one position goes against him in terms of making the bench. And it made sense for Lowe to have a go given the injuries and problems on the left hand side. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t make the squad for any of our next 4/5 games.
I'd agree if Baldock hadn't had such a rancid attacking performance against City. For Bogle to still not get on the bench against Chelsea seemed like a huge indicator that he's nowhere near.

But the negativity level of the subs named all year has been pretty high. So maybe it's more in Wilder needing to name Jags and Robinson every week?

tell you what guys you put your best 6 performers up and I'll snipe away at your choices.

I think people would agree with 5 of your choices, it's just Stevens that's the curveball. Indeed, looking at forum player ratings for this season you've picked 5 of the top 6 performers. But the one you're missing is Baldock. And Stevens? He's rated third worst player of the season, behind both of the other left wing backs we've played. He's been a great player for the club, but he's had a very poor season.

Excuse my ignorance, but is there not a case to use Bogle on the right, to replace Lundstram/Berge in the more attacking role?
Baldock, Basham, Bogle, could free Berge up to share midfield duties with Ampadu. Our creativity, and supply to the strikers could benefit from that.
Plenty of back 3 cover available against lesser teams, so why use Ampadu there? Stevens is clearly better at full back than in a back 3.
If only Fleck could come back soon, both left and right side of our blunted creativity might give the opposition more to worry about.
The only chance Bogle has had so far was in some meaningless cup game against Burnley, where he acquitted himself well, given his short time at the club.

I'd agree if Baldock hadn't had such a rancid attacking performance against City. For Bogle to still not get on the bench against Chelsea seemed like a huge indicator that he's nowhere near.

But the negativity level of the subs named all year has been pretty high. So maybe it's more in Wilder needing to name Jags and Robinson every week?
That’s the way I took it. I thought Bogle should’ve been on the bench for Chelsea. But it did look a lot like one which was playing it safe, as you say.
Excuse my ignorance, but is there not a case to use Bogle on the right, to replace Lundstram/Berge in the more attacking role?
Baldock, Basham, Bogle, could free Berge up to share midfield duties with Ampadu. Our creativity, and supply to the strikers could benefit from that.
Plenty of back 3 cover available against lesser teams, so why use Ampadu there? Stevens is clearly better at full back than in a back 3.
If only Fleck could come back soon, both left and right side of our blunted creativity might give the opposition more to worry about.
The only chance Bogle has had so far was in some meaningless cup game against Burnley, where he acquitted himself well, given his short time at the club.
Our results have been so poor of late I understand the thinking but there’s a big difference between being a right back good at getting forward and playing at right centre mid in our system. Aside from the fact that he’s a young player who’s not even played in the Premier League before, so it’d probably be better playing him in his own position, it’s a position that calls for a hell of a lot off the ball (the one thing Lundstram has over Berge, IMO) in addition to ideally being strong defensively, good in terms of progressing the ball in packed spaces in the centre of the pitch and positional awareness in the final third (another thing Lundstram does well in fairness). I don’t think it’s a position a young right back can be dropped into. I will admit I’ve not seen enough of Bogle to properly assess all his attributes in that position, but I think given it’s so demanding we’re better off keeping Berge there. It’s actually Berge’s best position in this system now.

I think people would agree with 5 of your choices, it's just Stevens that's the curveball. Indeed, looking at forum player ratings for this season you've picked 5 of the top 6 performers. But the one you're missing is Baldock. And Stevens? He's rated third worst player of the season, behind both of the other left wing backs we've played. He's been a great player for the club, but he's had a very poor season.
I stand by my point. The right side is settled but Stevens has lost both JOC and Fleck from the left side. If you then look at the stats provided by the EPL he has been the most active defender in the team Baldock (and I'm not having a go at him) is way behind in the stats and it would stand to reason that this is because the right side of the team has been settled whereas the left has been significantly weakened and so Stevens has had to do more work.

I haven't the software to produce a screen capture of the page but here are their stats
Stevens - Baldock
Blocks 3-2
Interceptions 6-6
Tackles 23-9
Successful tackles 11-7
Clearances 28-16
headed clearances 14-12
Aerial battles won 12 - 6
If people want to continue saying that Stevens is playing poorly that's up to them but I think the above explains why it appears that way and the stats back up that he has been the busier player of the 2 wing backs.

Wilder has never picked out and out full backs as subs, so don't think its an indication or anything. When freeman was playing full back, baldock was never on bench and vice versa.

I stand by my point. The right side is settled but Stevens has lost both JOC and Fleck from the left side. If you then look at the stats provided by the EPL he has been the most active defender in the team Baldock (and I'm not having a go at him) is way behind in the stats and it would stand to reason that this is because the right side of the team has been settled whereas the left has been significantly weakened and so Stevens has had to do more work.

I haven't the software to produce a screen capture of the page but here are their stats
Stevens - Baldock
Blocks 3-2
Interceptions 6-6
Tackles 23-9
Successful tackles 11-7
Clearances 28-16
headed clearances 14-12
Aerial battles won 12 - 6
If people want to continue saying that Stevens is playing poorly that's up to them but I think the above explains why it appears that way and the stats back up that he has been the busier player of the 2 wing backs.
Could it be that we're being attacked more down our left side? Baldock is one of the best defensively around.

Also tackles.... looks like endas percentage is piss poor by comparison.

That said, I'm with you, missing joc and fleck in that side is bound to affect your output.

Wilder has never picked out and out full backs as subs, so don't think its an indication or anything. When freeman was playing full back, baldock was never on bench and vice versa.
Fair. But Bogle was specifically signed (as far as I can tell) to provide an attacking option. I'm surprised he's not had a look in at all

Stats can be misleading, Stevens might have been busier, but he'd be near the top if the stats on poor marking and stupid mistakes too. He's won more aerial battles than Baldock, but he's regularly beaten in the air far too easily.

I'd personally give Bogle a go in place of Baldock, George hasn't been bad, but he doesn't always track back that well, his delivery has been poor and he has annoying habit of just letting the ball roll straight past him for a throw in. Back in the Championship, Freeman was a worse defender than him but could contribute more in attack, so Bogle could well do the same, but we'll never know if he's not even an option off the bench

That’s the way I took it. I thought Bogle should’ve been on the bench for Chelsea. But it did look a lot like one which was playing it safe, as you say.

Our results have been so poor of late I understand the thinking but there’s a big difference between being a right back good at getting forward and playing at right centre mid in our system. Aside from the fact that he’s a young player who’s not even played in the Premier League before, so it’d probably be better playing him in his own position, it’s a position that calls for a hell of a lot off the ball (the one thing Lundstram has over Berge, IMO) in addition to ideally being strong defensively, good in terms of progressing the ball in packed spaces in the centre of the pitch and positional awareness in the final third (another thing Lundstram does well in fairness). I don’t think it’s a position a young right back can be dropped into. I will admit I’ve not seen enough of Bogle to properly assess all his attributes in that position, but I think given it’s so demanding we’re better off keeping Berge there. It’s actually Berge’s best position in this system now.
Not much to argue about there. Worth pointing out that any praise given to Lundstram is a bit pointless as he’s had his chance to show his worth to the club, and still not signed.
My suggestion for Bogle was based purely on his contribution v Burnley, and his supposed attacking prowess. Whereas Lowe has been chucked in the deep end and done well, why not try Bogle.

Worth pointing out that any praise given to Lundstram is a bit pointless as he’s had his chance to show his worth to the club, and still not signed.
Not sure I agree with that. As fans, it's worth knowing and recognising what a player brings to the team even if they're leaving because it helps understand how they can be replaced. We don't see any work on the training ground, so we only have matches to go on. For all Lundstram's flaws, his defensive work-rate and ability to get into goalscoring opportunities was a nice counter-balance to Fleck's very good ability on the ball last year. Combined with Norwood, it was a midfield three which really worked and complemented each other. We're still looking for that this year.

If you were to pick 6 of our best players so far this season, isn’t Baldock part of that 6? It’s understandable why Lowe has had more opportunities, as Bogle has to dislodge better competition that is less out of form.

I'd argue Stevens had a better season over all last year than Baldock though

I’d agree. That feels like a completely different Stevens at this current time.
I’d agree he looks a different player but it’s not a physical decline from what I can see in terms of his ability to get around the pitch make runs and tackles. So it’s either he’s completely a confidence player and goes how the team goes but even then this is big drop off. So I think we’ve got to conclude he was part of a very good trio down the left with fleck and O’Connell who amplified the good and covered for the bad so to expect him to look the same player on his lonesome is unrealistic if frustrating.

I wouldn’t be bothered about bogle not playing or even been in the squad

But when he cost what 7/8 million what was the point

Could have been better spent elsewhere
I thought he was bought to improve the first team and not a squad filler?

Not seen any posted on this thread and I imagine quite a few folk on here won't have seen all that much of him, and might want to.

When we signed him, my Derby season ticket holder mate said he's brilliant going forward and isn't that bad defensively (some nice defensive moments in one of these videos) but he nicknamed him "Calamity Jayd" because he's prone to the more-than-occasional gigantic howler. I can totally understand why he's not had a crack yet, but I think we'll be seeing him soon enough.

I’d agree. That feels like a completely different Stevens at this current time.
Stevens came back from lockdown a different player. I don't know what's changed - maybe he's more affected by the lack of crowds - but that seemed to be the moment it started going downhill.

On Bogle not making the bench at Chelsea, our outfield subs were a 3/3 split between forwards and backs, to borrow a rugby phrase. Once Wilder picked three centre forwards (why?), he needed the other players to be able to cover the remaining 8 outfield roles. Personally, I'd not have picked Sharp as it wasn't going to be his type of game which would have allowed Bogle to make the bench but I can see why Wilder chose the side he did.

Forwards: Sharp, McBurnie, Burke

Midfield: Osborn (MCL, MC)

Defence: Jagielka (DC, DCR); Robinson (DCL); Osborn (WBL)

Basham would have covered the remaining positions (WBR, MC, MCR), with Burke probably providing emergency WBR cover.

Bogle wouldn't have replaced any of the defensive options, only possibly Burke who's clearly behind the other two in the order and Burke won out owing to the "option" his pace gives us up front.

Not sure I agree with that. As fans, it's worth knowing and recognising what a player brings to the team even if they're leaving because it helps understand how they can be replaced. We don't see any work on the training ground, so we only have matches to go on. For all Lundstram's flaws, his defensive work-rate and ability to get into goalscoring opportunities was a nice counter-balance to Fleck's very good ability on the ball last year. Combined with Norwood, it was a midfield three which really worked and complemented each other. We're still looking for that this year.

Good post. As frustrating as Lundstram is he's one of the few who takes ownership in the final third, makes positive runs, gets on the end of things, takes a shot from outside the area etc.

I can't excuse his anonymity for large spells in games (although playing on the left can't be helping), nor his attitude but without him on the field you wonder where on earth our attacking input from midfield is going to come from.

The really annoying thing though is that if Lundstram scores his penalty away at Villa, or either of his (very) easy chances against Leeds the whole outlook of our season would be looking quite different right now. We'd be rolling our sleeves up for a fight as opposed to looking completely doomed.

Stevens came back from lockdown a different player. I don't know what's changed - maybe he's more affected by the lack of crowds - but that seemed to be the moment it started going downhill.

On Bogle not making the bench at Chelsea, our outfield subs were a 3/3 split between forwards and backs, to borrow a rugby phrase. Once Wilder picked three centre forwards (why?), he needed the other players to be able to cover the remaining 8 outfield roles. Personally, I'd not have picked Sharp as it wasn't going to be his type of game which would have allowed Bogle to make the bench but I can see why Wilder chose the side he did.

Forwards: Sharp, McBurnie, Burke

Midfield: Osborn (MCL, MC)

Defence: Jagielka (DC, DCR); Robinson (DCL); Osborn (WBL)

Basham would have covered the remaining positions (WBR, MC, MCR), with Burke probably providing emergency WBR cover.

Bogle wouldn't have replaced any of the defensive options, only possibly Burke who's clearly behind the other two in the order and Burke won out owing to the "option" his pace gives us up front.
This is also a consistent approach Wilder’s taken throughout his time with us that he rarely veers from, much like the balance he almost always sticks to for our right and left sides. It was the same last season when folk were confused about why Osborn was generally preferred for the bench over Luke Freeman.

It’s far less exciting than suggesting Wilder doesn’t rate Bogle though – any way you can jazz your post up a bit and throw in some light sensationalism?

This is also a consistent approach Wilder’s taken throughout his time with us that he rarely veers from, much like the balance he almost always sticks to for our right and left sides. It was the same last season when folk were confused about why Osborn was generally preferred for the bench over Luke Freeman.

It’s far less exciting than suggesting Wilder doesn’t rate Bogle though – any way you can jazz your post up a bit and throw in some light sensationalism?
Add to that the fact that people still clamour for Ampadu (or even Jagielka!) to play at LCB despite the fact that since WIlder has been here he has consistently played a left footer on the left, even in a two: O'Connell for the first 4 games of the 16/17 season then Wright for the win over Oxford.

Add to that the fact that people still clamour for Ampadu (or even Jagielka!) to play at LCB despite the fact that since WIlder has been here he has consistently played a left footer on the left, even in a two: O'Connell for the first 4 games of the 16/17 season then Wright for the win over Oxford.
To be fair, Wilder went against his recent track record by playing a right-footed player at LCM. And our left hand side has been so dire, I don't think suggesting Ampadu for that role is that maddest idea. As for suggesting Jags for that role though...

To be fair, Wilder went against his recent track record by playing a right-footed player at LCM. And our left hand side has been so dire, I don't think suggesting Ampadu for that role is that maddest idea. As for suggesting Jags for that role though...
Lundstram is as close to two-footed as I've ever seen; using the admittedly flawed FIFA (right footed, 5/5 weaker foot) and Transfermarkt (left footed) supports that. I've not seen Ampadu play, it might be that he's as equally two-footed (FIFA has him as right, 3/5 weaker foot; Transfermarkt as right footed) but given the issues down the left this season if Wilder was going to play Ampadu at LCB he'd have already done it.

Agree on Jagielka...wouldn't even be amusing.

Not seen any posted on this thread and I imagine quite a few folk on here won't have seen all that much of him, and might want to.

When we signed him, my Derby season ticket holder mate said he's brilliant going forward and isn't that bad defensively (some nice defensive moments in one of these videos) but he nicknamed him "Calamity Jayd" because he's prone to the more-than-occasional gigantic howler. I can totally understand why he's not had a crack yet, but I think we'll be seeing him soon enough.

I’d agree I think this West Ham game is last chance saloon for a few of the regulars before we start to see changes:

I’d agree I think this West Ham game is last chance saloon for a few of the regulars before we start to see changes:
I think I agree with one of the earlier posts that the regulars will probably get a crack at the next two, players like Baldock will want a shot at West Ham and especially West Brom, after playing so many of the "big teams" lately. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bogle on the bench for one or both of them, although I also wouldn't be surprised not to see it!

Whatever happens, I'm just glad to have the internationals out of the way and be getting back to proper football!

What I don't understand is why he doesn't play in the U23s? They play the same system as us so it'll help him get used to it and he's played 1 game of competitive football in 4 months. Who is that meant to be helping?

What I don't understand is why he doesn't play in the U23s? They play the same system as us so it'll help him get used to it and he's played 1 game of competitive football in 4 months. Who is that meant to be helping?
And clubs wonder why fans get so angry over, if theirs a problem with him...tell us? if hes not fit.... tell us? if hes not up to standard yet....tell us?

And clubs wonder why fans get so angry over, if theirs a problem with him...tell us? if hes not fit.... tell us? if hes not up to standard yet....tell us?
Got injured in July and didnt get much pre-season at Derby so it looks like fitness issues

Back
Top Bottom