Blades to accept £10million????

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

gregblade

Reaction score
Taken from todays Guardian......

West Ham United will pay compensation to Sheffield United in the long-running dispute over Carlos Tevez and the Sheffield club's relegation in 2007, reports said last night.

West Ham have agreed to pay more than £10m – to be paid in instalments over five years – and Sheffield United will withdraw all of its complaints against the London club, ending the legal battle that began with United arguing that Tevez's participation in key matches in breach of the Premier League's third-party agreement rules had been decisive in helping them to remain in the top league while Sheffield were relegated. United had been asking for £45m in compensation.

An independent Football Association arbitration panel, headed by Lord Griffiths, sided with United against West Ham and ruled that Tevez was instrumental in the result. The panel were due to meet on Monday to determine the extent of compensation that should be involved but the hearing has now been cancelled in light of the agreement yesterday.

West Ham still face the prospect of a further fine or a points deduction after the FA and Premier League announced a fresh investigation into the Tevez affair in January. The Hammers were originally fined £5.5m but the independent panel convened by the Premier League in April 2007 did not impose a points deduction. The FA and Premier League decided in January that the conclusions of Lord Griffiths, delivered in September, left them with no option but to return to the matter. Their lawyers have written to those involved asking them for written statements and arranging face-to-face interviews.

The move will focus on the conduct of West Ham's chief executive, Scott Duxbury, in the wake of the Premier League's original ruling on the matter. Lord Griffiths ruled that Duxbury had provided Kia Joorabchian, the leader of the consortium that "owned" Tevez and his Argentinian international colleague Javier Mascherano, and his lawyer Graham Shear with a series of "oral cuddles".

"We have acted in good faith throughout the inquiries and investigations into this matter and fulfilled the undertakings given to the Premier League following the initial penalty," said the club at the time. "We have nothing to hide and will ensure that this is once again reflected in our evidence to the FA and Premier League."[/I]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/13/west-ham-sheffield-united-carlos-tevez

Thoughts people??

It's towards the low end of what we were asking for, but realistically, it's probably the best we could have hoped for.

a) They're actually paying us something.

b) They're skint so we might not have got much more

c) The term "oral cuddles" ought to be used more :D

I know they're skint so sommat is better than nowt, but still feel we could have got double. Would like the 10 million investing into a humongous big screen at the lane and the invention of chicken madras pies. :thumbup:

One thing it doesn't make clear is whether or not the payout is also an admission of guilt.

Usually they try and stress that they aren't guilty of any wrongdoing and the payment is a gesture of goodwill or something.

Any out of court payment will be made 'without prejudice'. After taking legal fees off I guess it would work out at £8m, West Ham get £50m per year from TV rights in the premier league, so hardley a fortune. That said who actually thought we would get anything?

£10m (or even less as dingledog states) over fiver years is f*ck all as well.

£10m (or even less as dingledog states) over fiver years is f*ck all as well.
In comparison to what it has cost us, yes. However, it would've paid James Beattie's wages - just.

Rumour coming from West Ham is that the club is about to be bought out, and Gudmunsson needs the Tevez stuff sorted to improve the price he can get for the club.

Seems to be a business thing, give Sheff Utd £10m, thus eliminating the risk of having to shell out £45m, and therefore both increasing the selling price of the club whilst making it a more attractive proposition.

Still, it's about £10m more than you lot deserve IMO. Be interested to see if any other Championship clubs kick up a stick over Sheff Utd getting an unfair financial advantage?

Be interested to see if any other Championship clubs kick up a stick over Sheff Utd getting an unfair financial advantage?
Me too. In the same way I'd be interested to see a cow jump over the moon.

Shocking, that's an insult £2m a year is fuck all, their finances are in a state but they have stability in PL now so the money will keep rolling in. If they have offered money that's an admission of guilt so fuck em, go the full term because the lawyers are ready and do em for the lot.
Then take a full page advert which includes a box with millions of pounds in it on the facing page to fat samuels page.
:thumbup:

Mr Samuel hasn't responded yet, so I thought I'd bait him via the Daily Mail comments on THIS STORY:

The money is a bonus, we expected nothing.

But what we really want to know is what your esteemed reporter Martin Samuel thinks of the whole thing?

West Ham seem prepared to accept what he cannot and I'd like to see him explain away this inexplicable payment if indeed, as he has long protested, his beloved West Ham are the innocent and hard-done-to party.

I sure I am not alone in eagerly anticipating his spluttering vitriol.

Perhaps he's that angry he just can't get his chubby little fingers to hit the right keys to fully express his disgust.

Shall we send him some green biros over for full effect?

Just one request though... can you ask him a favour from me?

Tell him not to mention the words "oral cuddles" in anything he writes. There is no man or beast I would like to associate less with the phrase than Mr Samuel.

Cheers!

i cant believe after all this time we are going to agree to 10m. sumthing not right here

Wait a minute. We estimated the cost at £45.5 mill. But we accept £10m out of court!

What was the point in going all the way through the expense and crap just to settle out of court for less than 25% of what we were asking!

Ridiculous in my opinion. The bill for lawyers will be covered, but don't expect much change, which basically means the club aren't gonna be any better off!

Really, really, not happy if this is the deal!

James Shield reckons we've accepted nothing yet... LINKY

FURTHER talks will take place between representatives of Sheffield United and West Ham today as the two clubs look to settle Bramall Lane's claim for compensation following the Carlos Tevez Affair.

Contrary to reports, a binding agreement has yet to be signed although both parties remain hopeful of reaching a mutually acceptable figure ahead of Monday's independent tribunal.

But this is James Shield we're talking about :D

What a waste of time this whole saga has been if we accept £10m over 5 years.....

Don't be fooled !

£10million my arse, I wudn't believe sum of them rags if they said today was Friday the 13th of March.

Out of court it will be.........but £10million yer havin a laugh.........unless its £10million a year over the next 5 years ....... McCabe has em by the balls!

To all those people disappointed by it... the posters said "Blades for Fairness" not "Blades for Cash".

While the money is a nice bonus, the principle of the issue was always the most important thing as far as I was concerned.

To all those people disappointed by it... the posters said "Blades for Fairness" not "Blades for Cash".

While the money is a nice bonus, the principle of the issue was always the most important thing as far as I was concerned.

Why is there always one that has to speak sense!! ;)

Why is there always one that has to speak sense!! ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'd love the £50 million. But I'm not going to throw my teddy out of the pram if it's less.

It's something... which is a damned load more than I expected.

spose, just a massive drop from what was quoted. it basically means mccabe thought we'd get virtually nothing, so put up a stupid figure!

Principles are great..................but £10million says to me that cheats do prosper!

Be interested to see if any other Championship clubs kick up a stick over Sheff Utd getting an unfair financial advantage?

I can't see it, in the same way that I can't see anyone kicking up a stink if the Pigs ever get their vast amounts of money in investment.

£10m over 5 years does seem a little low based on what we originally claimed. As has been said though, if it means an admission of guilt coming out of the Boleyn, I'll be happy - as long as this is acted on by the FA and the PL.

^^^ Matth has the points just about covered ^^^

As long as the payment doesn't come with the opt out of being guilty I'm happy with it. The PL then look to be on very dodgy ground especially Scudamore.

Given the current plight of the owners at the Boleyn, if we pursued the full compensation through the courts we may end up with nothing. As I see it he has weeks to find money, before the Icelandic courts declare him bankrupt and seize all assets which will presumably include West Ham.

From the sun website:
West Ham would like it sorted before then but only if Blades drastically reduce their claim.

Sheffield United could come down to £42.5m, while Hammers want to get the price under £20m, which seems a long shot.

A Blades insider said: ìAt the moment Sheffield United are not keen on compromise.î

Still nothing on our site though

Back
Top Bottom