Blades Target Men - who won most flick ons?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bergen Blade

Reaction score
Over the years, we've had a few target men who've been good in the air, who would be your top three in terms of winning flick ons?

Billy Whitehurst? Brian Deane? Alan Cork? Jostein Flo? Gareth Taylor? Laurent D'Jaffo? Wayne Allison? Darius Henderson? Dave Kitson? Chris Porter? Others?

Chief was the best flicker onner but couldn't attack a ball.

I remember Flo being particularly poor at winning flick ons for a big man, and the ref's whistle had normally blown for a foul long before Henderson or Kitson had managed to get their heads on the ball.

Beattie always won plenty in the air, but rather than just flicking it on, he usually actually directed headers out wide to the wingers, then made his way into the box and scored.

Brings back memries of reading Flashing Blade reports circa 1999-02:

D'Jaffo - 8/10. Won some flick-ons

I think you'll find he did the simple things well 7/10.

Chief was the best flicker onner but couldn't attack a ball.
Agree about Chief. I always thought he also seemed to have an ability to win the flick on without fouling the defender. This was so important especially when chasing games late on. There is nothing more frustrating when you need a goal late-on than a needless foul on the centre-half which just takes all the pressure off. Ashley Ward and Henderson were particular culprits at this.

Best leaders of the line at the Lane over the last 30 years - Deane, Shipperley, Hulse and Henderson

Beattie always won plenty in the air, but rather than just flicking it on, he usually actually directed headers out wide to the wingers, then made his way into the box and scored.

True but remember he only scored penalties so he doesn't really count as a good striker. ;):D

1) Gareth Taylor- good jumper and best header of the ball I have seen for SUFC. He was poor when the ball is on the floor though
2) Billy Whitehurst- centre backs hated challenging him when the ball is in the air. Hardest player we have had since Fatty Foulkes
3) Alan Cork - had a good footballing brain. He knew how to use his body and strength to prevent his marker outjumping him and also positionally wise he always seem to know where to to flick his headers to. Deane's goal against Man U in March 1992 was an example

My first thought when I saw the title of this thread was of Rob Hulse when we played the pigs at the rust bucket in January 2008, when Robson was manager.
The poor bloke had just returned from his broken leg and against the worst defence in the league at that time who were there for the taking, Robson decided to go with 4-5-1 with Hulse on his own up front. :mad:

We were then treated to the sight of Hulse winning flick ons in the air and having to chase after the fuckin ball himself. He run his bollocks off that day but to no avail as we lost 2-0. Robson was a shambles of a manager and he should have been sacked straight after that game instead of leaving it a few more weeks. :mad:

Shipperley was class, my favourite player of 'that' season and the job he did was very understated.

He was overweight, getting on and yet the ball seemed to magnetise to him. I hoped that Marlon King, even at 33, could do a similar job to what Shipps did of letting the runners run and letting the players play. Unfortunately, even when the ball does come to within his 8 yard radius (the rough point of where he might make half of an effort to contest for it), he usually tries a neat looking flick or dummy and the opposition gratefully receive the ball.

Best target-men: Deane, Taylor, Shipperley, Hulse, Stead, Henderson

Worst: Horsfield, King & Porter

I actually thought Billy Sharp provided loads when others were not there to profit. He would have loved to be in the middle for some of his own service.

I remember Flo being particularly poor at winning flick ons for a big man, and the ref's whistle had normally blown for a foul long before Henderson or Kitson had managed to get their heads on the ball.
Henderson and Kitson won a few balls without committing fouls unlike the worst ever target man to steal a living at the Lane..... I give you, Ashley Ward. Made a few bob off the pitch but he was truly awful for the Blades on it.

My first thought when I saw the title of this thread was of Rob Hulse when we played the pigs at the rust bucket in January 2008, when Robson was manager.
The poor bloke had just returned from his broken leg and against the worst defence in the league at that time who were there for the taking, Robson decided to go with 4-5-1 with Hulse on his own up front. :mad:

We were then treated to the sight of Hulse winning flick ons in the air and having to chase after the fuckin ball himself. He run his bollocks off that day but to no avail as we lost 2-0. Robson was a shambles of a manager and he should have been sacked straight after that game instead of leaving it a few more weeks. :mad:

IMO Robson was appointed for commercial rather than football reasons. McCabe may claim to be a blade till the cows come home, but he has always put business before pleasure. Under Robson's tenure, there was little pleasure watching the Blades. Commercially, was Robson any good at attracting investment,apart from potential disaster merchants.? As a club we haven't recovered from that episode, I really wonder if we ever will, since we have stumbled from one failed plan to another.

Back
Top Bottom