'Memries' Blades Memries Podcast - Battle of Bramall Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bladepicker

Paul Coutts Fan Club Founder Member
Reaction score
Another trip down memory lane, this time I'm joined by the man of many aliases (allegedly), the wonderful Woolford of Wall Street to discuss sneaking into football games, the craziest game of football we have seen and how much of a dickhead Gary Megson is.

SoundCloud link below, give it a listen if you fancy and feel free to slate me @bladesmemries on twitter!

Listen to Blades Memries Podcast - West Brom (H) by Blades 'Memries' Podcast on #SoundCloud

Great talking to you Paul, honoured to have been invited to contribute to this new enterprise you've got going.

Thank you for this. Excellent pod, and some resurfacing memories of that fateful day, and the circumstances surrounding it.
A great catch up pod for me personally, as my supporter status began mid 60s, interrupted by some uniformed travel from 1975 to 1997, and my self imposed exile as a fan in 2008.
Nice to hear Matt/Woolford talking and (for me) making some sense of his occasionally sarcastic posts on here.
Cheers for the update and some perspective.

Probably the source of my desire to beat WBA tonight, with a hatful of goals. 👍

Another great episode. Had no idea about the incident with the tannoy and Santos' wife!
I remember it sent an audible chill around the ground as you knew something bad had happened right then. Forest were awful in that game, kicking us eveywhere. The start of me really hating Forest that day (having quite liked them under Clough, especially as we always seemed to beat them!).

Thank you for this. Excellent pod, and some resurfacing memories of that fateful day, and the circumstances surrounding it.
A great catch up pod for me personally, as my supporter status began mid 60s, interrupted by some uniformed travel from 1975 to 1997, and my self imposed exile as a fan in 2008.
Nice to hear Matt/Woolford talking and (for me) making some sense of his occasionally sarcastic posts on here.
Cheers for the update and some perspective.

Probably the source of my desire to beat WBA tonight, with a hatful of goals. 👍

Thanks Charlie, glad you enjoyed it 👍🏼

Thought when you lost connection you were going to come back on under a different alias 😉
Hahahahaha talk about missed opportunity for a quality gag. This is why you're pod royalty sir, brilliant stuff 😂😂 we did about 20 minutes but my zoom crashed while rendering and that chat will ever be lost to the abyss. You'll just have to take my and Woolford of Wall Street word for it that it was quality content 😂

Another trip down memory lane, this time I'm joined by the man of many aliases (allegedly), the wonderful Woolford of Wall Street to discuss sneaking into football games, the craziest game of football we have seen and how much of a dickhead Gary Megson is.

SoundCloud link below, give it a listen if you fancy and feel free to slate me @bladesmemries on twitter!

Listen to Blades Memries Podcast - West Brom (H) by Blades 'Memries' Podcast on #SoundCloud

Enjoyed that! I still feel honoured to have witnessed that great moment in English Football History.

Will have a listen.

There is another couple of podcasts knocking around on this game, one by Mundial and one with Doton Adebyo and Tim Vickery. Both featuring West Brom fans who were absolutely full of of shit saying things like: "I don't like it being called a battle as only one team were battling that day, West Brom wanted no part in it" and maintain the idea that we were trying to get the game replayed. Also full of praise for the ref Eddie Wolstenholme who retired at the end of that season.

Rubbish.

As I recall we had nothing to play for (maybe a very distant play off chance) at the end of an incredibly dull season. Simon Tracey got sent off for handball, which if memory serves does not carry a custodial sentence.

Santos took his revenge on Johnson and got a red card. This was a massive error of judgement on Warnock's part, probably thought it was a master stroke bringing him on. Terrible challenge but Johnson got up and walked away in the end. Suffo got sent off in the melee afterwards for a headbutt on Derek McInnes. I heard a rumour that this was in response to some racist abuse but don't think this was ever confirmed and I wouldn't want to take this as gospel.

From my seat though both teams were well up for a scrap to start with but we just had nastier players and West Brom became content to back off and see the game out rather than be on the end of another Keith Curle boot up the arse.

Brown and Ullathorne went down injured and didn't play again that season so that puts paid to the idea they were feigning injury as they were first team regulars.

Then arch pig and world class ring-piece Megson was allowed to get his narrative out in the media for a week or so afterwards.

The ref Wolstenholme also claimed victim status. No mention of the fact he'd completely lost control of the game. From memory he was god awful in every previous fixture he'd been involved in with us.

All in all a far more 'exciting' fixture than anyone could ever have expected that day but the pearl clutching after was ridiculous.

Not the Battle game but the one we won 3-1 at home in 1990. The reason I remember it, is because of a header from Don Goodman. He challenged Tracey, won the header on the penalty spot and the ball ballooned in the air and was heading for goal. It bounced one foot at most in front of the center of the goal-line and amazingly bounced over the bar, as if it had a hit concrete or a trampoline.

There was complete silence, no-one could quite believe it and after a few seconds, bemused, the ref pointed for a goal kick. Incredible moment. We went on to win easily and they scored a late consolation (bryan robson's brother i think).

Maybe this is why Don Goodman hates us so much??

Will have a listen.

There is another couple of podcasts knocking around on this game, one by Mundial and one with Doton Adebyo and Tim Vickery. Both featuring West Brom fans who were absolutely full of of shit saying things like: "I don't like it being called a battle as only one team were battling that day, West Brom wanted no part in it" and maintain the idea that we were trying to get the game replayed. Also full of praise for the ref Eddie Wolstenholme who retired at the end of that season.

Rubbish.

As I recall we had nothing to play for (maybe a very distant play off chance) at the end of an incredibly dull season. Simon Tracey got sent off for handball, which if memory serves does not carry a custodial sentence.

Santos took his revenge on Johnson and got a red card. This was a massive error of judgement on Warnock's part, probably thought it was a master stroke bringing him on. Terrible challenge but Johnson got up and walked away in the end. Suffo got sent off in the melee afterwards for a headbutt on Derek McInnes. I heard a rumour that this was in response to some racist abuse but don't think this was ever confirmed and I wouldn't want to take this as gospel.

From my seat though both teams were well up for a scrap to start with but we just had nastier players and West Brom became content to back off and see the game out rather than be on the end of another Keith Curle boot up the arse.

Brown and Ullathorne went down injured and didn't play again that season so that puts paid to the idea they were feigning injury as they were first team regulars.

Then arch pig and world class ring-piece Megson was allowed to get his narrative out in the media for a week or so afterwards.

The ref Wolstenholme also claimed victim status. No mention of the fact he'd completely lost control of the game. From memory he was god awful in every previous fixture he'd been involved in with us.

All in all a far more 'exciting' fixture than anyone could ever have expected that day but the pearl clutching after was ridiculous.

Yeah, we're almost in total agreement, except I defended Eddie Wolstenholme as I thought he was placed in a difficult position and tried to keep the game going as long as he could from my perspective.

I remember it sent an audible chill around the ground as you knew something bad had happened right then. Forest were awful in that game, kicking us eveywhere. The start of me really hating Forest that day (having quite liked them under Clough, especially as we always seemed to beat them!).
Unable to listen to the podcast at the minute but what happened with the tannoy and Santos’ wife?

Yeah, we're almost in total agreement, except I defended Eddie Wolstenholme as I thought he was placed in a difficult position and tried to keep the game going as long as he could from my perspective.
I bet him & the linesman got back in the changing room & thought fuck me what just happened out there & we’re gonna have writers cramp doing the match report

Unable to listen to the podcast at the minute but what happened with the tannoy and Santos’ wife?
You'll never believe what happened with George Santos, his wife and a tannoy. Click this link to find out more....

😂😂😂

Spoiler alert, after he went off injured in that Forest game they called for his wife to go down over the tannoy - hence we all knew it was pretty fucking bad.

You'll never believe what happened with George Santos, his wife and a tannoy. Click this link to find out more....

😂😂😂

Spoiler alert, after he went off injured in that Forest game they called for his wife to go down over the tannoy - hence we all knew it was pretty fucking bad.

Dammit, poor old Santos - his wife is all set to go down, but he's laid out almost unconscious.

Rubbish.

Minor point, but Wolstenholme didn’t retire that year - it was the end of the next season. He became a referee’s assessor and had a heart attack during a match at Turf Moor in 2018.

With regards to the ‘battle’, there were only 15 fouls in the game (8 by us, 7 by them, I think). Aside from the obvious scrap and Tracey’s handball, we only had two bookings. There have been much, much more violent games.

i still remember this game so vividly, there with my granddad counting the players still on the pitch to see how many are left & then waking up early for malaysian gp on the sunday to see us on the front page of the newspaper

Back
Top Bottom