Blades fans mentality

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

sitwell

Big member
Reaction score
Is it just us and the few infiltrators on here but on the week leading up to a derby why is every post so fucking negative ,and every thread contains nothing but sly digs at the club and/or its employees. It never used to be like this and isn't amongst the Blades I knock about with, is it just the few with the biggest mouths or is this what has come to pass as a football supporter these days ? I look forward to our 2 new debutants getting booed on Sunday and slagged off on here and thinking fuck this why should I bother. I love being a Blade but there are quite a number of supporters who make the whole experience a big negative and I admit the same feelings as any new players may experience.:confused:

It doesn't matter ,could be Messi and Kaka would still be the same.

'Twas always like this, but it has got much worse since the PL season. Difference between the two sets of supporters has always been the same, height of optimism at the swamp, depth of pessimism at the Lane.

Pigs win a few games and it's 'Champions League in 3 years', Blades win a few games and 'it'll never last,they've been lucky sods, bet they lose the next one!'

But this has got much worse within the Blades' fan base since the PL days. It was apathetic pessimism then, more a vitriolic pessimism now!

I also think that some of it is talking us down so that if we lose it doesnt feel as bad.

I also think that some of it is talking us down so that if we lose it doesnt feel as bad.

I'm not so sure. Some people seem to almost revel in us losing, certainly when KB & MA were in charge. There was/is a certain bedwetters mentality about the place from admittedly a small handful of people that you wouldn't want on your side when the going got tough. as, indeed, they ably demonstrated when the going got tough.

Some of us have grown too tired to rise to the negativity on here, but positivity remains

I always feel a bit like that before Derbies. Wendy fans would always be giving it the big one before games and I'd be more "We'll see, we'll see", rather than "We'll thrash you, you curly tailed, bacon flavoured wankers!", which is of course what I wnated to say.

There is a big difference imho, between the daily criticism of everything Sheffield United, and talking down our chances in the derby. Like many of our generation, I turned up on Dec 26th all those years ago, half expecting to walk the game, only for the completely unthinkable to happen right before us, and we are forever tainted by it. There is no occasion for us when the derby is going to be 'three easy points' like all the pigs are crowing now. If we do win they will still come back with some placatary shit like 'we won the second half' as they did when we nearly let a 3-0 lead slip away a couple of years back. Easier to say that you expect to lose 3-1. It sure takes a bit of the sting out of it if it happens, even though you are hoping and wishing with every fibre in your body that we stuff them big time.

People who fill the board with their ill-conceived, hate filled, badly formed opinions about every aspect of the club, rubbishing it, its management and ownership with every post, whilst at one and the same time professing to be a 'supporter', are so low they'd need a pair of step ladders just to reach a worms belly, (also imho...)...

There is a big difference imho, between the daily criticism of everything Sheffield United, and talking down our chances in the derby. Like many of our generation, I turned up on Dec 26th all those years ago, half expecting to walk the game, only for the completely unthinkable to happen right before us, and we are forever tainted by it. There is no occasion for us when the derby is going to be 'three easy points' like all the pigs are crowing now. If we do win they will still come back with some placatary shit like 'we won the second half' as they did when we nearly let a 3-0 lead slip away a couple of years back. Easier to say that you expect to lose 3-1. It sure takes a bit of the sting out of it if it happens, even though you are hoping and wishing with every fibre in your body that we stuff them big time.

People who fill the board with their ill-conceived, hate filled, badly formed opinions about every aspect of the club, rubbishing it, its management and ownership with every post, whilst at one and the same time professing to be a 'supporter', are so low they'd need a pair of step ladders just to reach a worms belly, (also imho...)...

It's an internet thing, people spout shite endlessly on message boards but they wouldn't dare say any of it in front of their mates or others.

The internt gives nobodies a chance to make themselves feel important.

Bet these boys stood right behind their team.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UkVZZnrC4E

Glass half empty = Blade, glass half full = owl, its always been the way, strange as we are both from the same city but a definite different attitude & outlook. I am no more worried about this game than any derby game in my lifetime, I always fear the worse. This is probably the most unpredictable game for a long long time, its only a few weeks ago that opposition managers were saying we were the best team in the division and the owls fans were calling for megsons head. Its a cliche but the first goal will be really important on sunday, go behind and we could crumble...but then again so could they. We certainly need to start taking our chances, and we need a strong referee.

Would I be correct in thinking that all you fine trench dwellers are nrs and thus on the same plane as those you look down upon ??

8th September 1951

Sheffield United 7, Sheffield Wednesday 3

Crowd: 51075. I was there.

26 December 1979 - I felt no pain. I was living the other side of the world. Knew nothing of the game until years later.

8th September 1951

Sheffield United 7, Sheffield Wednesday 3

Crowd: 51075. I was there.

26 December 1979 - I felt no pain. I was living the other side of the world. Knew nothing of the game until years later.

I hear it takes much the same time for news to reach Boston. :D

I'm circumspect about our chances, i don't think this is a derby game we will win, but thats just my hunch, and they are usually wrong.

Still think it is too early in the season to get all hung up about our form, and make wild assumptions about what is going to happen this season. To be honest we got off to a better than expected start, and maybe it has been a more realistic expectation that this might be a transitional season.

Just to add my own particular doom and gloom, I don't see too many signs (so far, anyway - I refuse to give up hope altogether) that it's not going to transition into something worse.

Far too much triumphalism from S6. They are riding for a fall!

Dunc,
There is a difference between acknowledging uncomfortable truths whilst still wanting the very best for our club and the sort of anti-Blade venom to which you refer.

Far too much triumphalism from S6. They are riding for a fall!

Dunc,
There is a difference between acknowledging uncomfortable truths whilst still wanting the very best for our club and the sort of anti-Blade venom to which you refer.

Something we agree on fella!

UTB

Dunc,There is a difference between acknowledging uncomfortable truths whilst still wanting the very best for our club and the sort of anti-Blade venom to which you refer.

You don't say, Mr Silky Football Man. Fear not. I think I can spot the difference.

Actually. The 'home truths' thing are often just our interprettations of what we see. I mean, Monty has been here for ten years now and we still can't agree if he's the best or worst player on the pitch every week, can we? So one mans uncomfortable truth (shall I refer you to Broomhill vs. Al Gore..? :rolleyes:), is anothers irrelevance, no matter how important it may seem to you at the time.

As for the historical analysis of what happened in the club and how and most importantly why it happened, who is an arse, and what everyones' motives are, I really don't think that any of us are close enough to the club to know more than 10%, and any theory that is 90% guess isn't worth much. For anyone to base their life (through being consumed by self-invented hate and prejudice) on such flimsy evidence is a bit bizarre if you ask me. Live and let live...

i don't think anyone is being deliberately negative..it is just that through years of neglect and total incompetence we are now crap.. the annoying thing is that most of us saw this coming and it could have so easily been prevented.. take the rose tinted specs off.. we are shit.. official.. check the league table..some of us don't like it and don't believe it necessary for a club of our stature :mad:

I'm hopeful given the way we began the season, i just hope the performances of the last few games do not continue. I'm bringing the missus for her first blades experience on this one...god knows why, i don't think she'll quite believe my change in personality come 12pm on Sunday.

2 Debutants....in a Derby game. I'm all for reinforcements, but is a Derby game the right time to blood 2?? Jury's out for me. Who are they anyway? Guessing one will be Matt Phillips

If we do win they will still come back with some placatary shit like 'we won the second half' as they did when we nearly let a 3-0 lead slip away a couple of years back.

Spot on that, just the kind of infantile comment I get from my piggy supporting mates.

The really puzzling thing about their perpetual optimism is the lack of any real reason for it.

They've sunk greater depths than we have and since 2000 have never looked like getting back.

Their naivety in thinking that they can get back now is the saddest thing. Missed the boat chaps, just like us.

The difference being that we missed it completely. They were on it and jumped over the side.

If we do win they will still come back with some placatary shit like 'we won the second half' as they did when we nearly let a 3-0 lead slip away a couple of years back.

Pitiful isn't it? It would be like, I don't know, trying to make light of them completing the double over us for the first time in 95 years by saying that you were glad that run had come to an end because it was a distraction...

As for negativity generally, I'm angry about what has happened to my club since January 2007. Sorry, but that's just how I feel. Players, management and the board (combined with a healthy slice of bad luck) have frittered away the best opportunity to be an established PL side that we've had in my lifetime, and compounded that error by letting us sink to the lowest position we have been in in almost 30 years. That cannot be condemned in strong enough terms.

And if you are optimistic about the derby you either:

(a) haven't seen United play recently
(b) are ignoring what's going on with other teams in the Division; or
(c) are suffering from a severe case of Nelsonian Blindness.

when has form ever ever mattered in a derby game
honestly

Go on then

Derby matches where one side or the other won since 1979, classified as going with form or against form (i.e if the club who was higher at the time of the game won it is with from WF, if otherwise, against from AF)

26/12/79 SW AF
9/8/80 SW WF
21/11/89 SW WF
17/11/91 SU AF
11/3/92 SU AF
4/3/93 SW WF
22/1/94 SW WF
1/11/00 SW AF
1/4/01 SU WF
1/9/02 SW AF
17/1/03 SU WF
3/12/05 SU WF
18/2/06 SU WF
19/1/08 SW AF
19/10/08 SW AF
7/2/09 SW AF
18/9/09 SU WF

So we have 9 going with form and 8 against.

Darren, that data just shows whether the higher or lower placed side won the game. It doesn't show who was in better form at the time. There is a difference.

For example, they were in a higher league than us when we played the Zenith Cup game in 1989, but I'dhardly say they were in better form. We were top of Division 2 and they were in the relegation places in the league above.

Back
Top Bottom