Blades 0 Derby 1 - Pre season thoughts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

One thing to consider when judging last night's game is that the side Derby put out wasn't only 11 quality players, but 11 quality players who have already played together for a full season. Whereas our side's only played together 3/4 times.

Not sure the pigs will make the playoffs.

If Wolves are going to be up there with Derby, Norwich, Newcastle and Villa, then that's only one space. I'd expect QPR and possibly Fulham to do better this season, Brighton will probably do well again and there's always some team you don't expect to mount a challenge.
I think last season may have been their best chance to go up.

Bit of tongue in cheek with me mentioning S6 . Think you are right and they may well struggle . That Fletcher bloke they have signed is a more expensive Connor Sammon.

S6 will be spending big money with no return . The surprise package could well be Wigan.

It wil have made it far worst for S6 with missing a golden opportunity , and Hull debacle getting worst .

Back to us , IMO we are still 4 players short of a promotion winning team.

UTB

Bit of tongue in cheek with me mentioning S6 . Think you are right and they may well struggle . That Fletcher bloke they have signed is a more expensive Connor Sammon.

S6 will be spending big money with no return . The surprise package could well be Wigan.

It wil have made it far worst for S6 with missing a golden opportunity , and Hull debacle getting worst .

UTB
We are, but we always are. As long as we've been down here we've been a couple of decent signings short of a good team.

On holiday so obviously couldnt go which is a bit annoying as always try to attend at least 1 pre season game at lane. So don't particularly know how we played but the fact we only lost 1-0 to derby. Sounds like a positive because derby have a huge budget probably only behind Newcastle & villa, buying many players last season for 4m, 5m, 6m

Must admit my excitement has took a reality check after heating the reports, but you have to say derby have an excellent squad so losing to a harsh penalty i suppose isn't a disaster. My concern is it doesn't seem we have the pressing game I'd hoped for.

Must admit my excitement has took a reality check after heating the reports, but you have to say derby have an excellent squad so losing to a harsh penalty i suppose isn't a disaster. My concern is it doesn't seem we have the pressing game I'd hoped for.

Wilder does know his best team , only problem , 4 of the players are still at other clubs .

UTB

I went last night and i thought all the new players played well. I was particularly impressed with Fleck's first hour or so when he was breaking up any Derby attacks and then being instrumental in setting off attacks of our own. He looks a very decent acquisition. The back 4 looked good, Duffy showed great promise and Clarke showed us what we've missed for the last few seasons.

Early days, and they'll need a few weeks to properly gel, but the key thing for me is that every new player looks better than who he's replaced, and that's got to be progress.

1. LW- We simply don’t have one. Done is average there. Better as an auxiliary striker.

2. CB- Wilson doesn’t convince me on paper and I saw nothing from him last night to change that.

3. CM- I think Basham is OK but an area where we could improve if for example Morsy came in.

4. GK- I think Long is OK but would welcome some competition for him, possibly an old head who could help bring on all the young keepers we have.

We need more than "OK" if we want promotion.

UTB

And those 4 are GK , CM , LW & CB.

Once those 4 are acquired , Scougall & Reed can join Coutts on the list and K Wallace & possibly Freeman may have worked their way off it , depending on wages budget going forward.

My thoughts on pre season are as follows

Positives
A lot of the failed dross have gone and that at least gives us a platform to build on
3 CBs signed and O'Connell and Wilson look capable as a starting two
Of the other new signings, Fleck, Duffy, Hussey and Clarke all look to be top end league 1 players. Generally pleased with what he has recruited

Concerns
GK - the squad consists of Long and a kid. I'd like to see a 30 year old with 300 league starts on the books before the end of August.
CM - Coutts is still too close to the starting 11 for my liking. Morsey would be ideal.
Squad size - still feel we are a bit short of defenders especially. Generally, in each area we are 1 injury and 1 suspension away from throwing in the kids, and that is rarely how you win promotion

We need more than "OK" if we want promotion.

Kind of agree but teams always have players who are "OK". They just have to be in the minority with others bringing more to the table. We got 90 points in a season where Neil Collins and Steve Simmonsen were regular starters. Pigs went up with shit like Prutton and lines in the team.

Thanks DB. Derby have to be a really good shout for Automatic this year, and they play some lovely stuff. We need that little bit more bite in midfield and a little bit more creativity out wide. In Wilder I trust to find this, in the board I do not.

For me, a right sided centre half is the priority, alongside an impact centre mid. A pairing of Morsy and Fleck would do very nicely. Then a little something out wide to complement Duffy and Adams.

Didn't go last night as there was no boycott picket line for me to cross, but I heard we desperately lacked width? how was Duffy played exactly? If Wilder tries crappy no-width tactics in the league games I won't be impressed. I saw enough crap performances from Woys Wingless Wankers this Summer to last a lifetime.

So did the pitch, pulled in about 2m.

K Wallace & possibly Freeman may have worked their way off it

Not sure about Freeman, but I think Wallace K is worth hanging on to a bit - decent enough at LB last season though I would like to see him tried out as the Defensive MF instead of Basham. Clarke I think needs to be played behind Sharp to get the best out of both of them. I'd give this a go if we can't get a replacement MF in.

579b98bbcb721.jpg

Back
Top Bottom