Blackburn 3 United 1 - report and pod

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Podcast links and then report below….

---

The week ended with another defeat for United meaning they have picked up a solitary point from three games against mid table sides. The home side Blackburn had been put to the sword with a 7-goal thrashing in the week at home but it was a different story against Jokanovic’s struggling Blades. United had the perfect start when Rhian Brewster finally scored a league goal after 14 months but the away side could not build on this and Blackburn took control of the game. They equalised just before half time through Khadra after a deflection. After the break Sharp missed a good chance to regain the lead but then it was all Rovers with goals from Brereton Diaz and Poveda completing the turnaround. Mousset and Gibbs White missed chances after this but Blackburn had further chances to score more goals and thoroughly deserved the victory.

For the Blades they have now lost 5 in 8 and are heading in the wrong direction as Jokanovic’s self-titled revolution seems to be no nearer to getting close to the changes needed in performances and results. Blackburn should have been ripe for the Blades to get back to winning ways after being annihilated in the week but once again United showed what a soft touch they were and in the end were easily beaten yet again. Individually and collectively from the manager to the players to the board room, the club is failing and face a tough winter to try and somehow arrest the dramatic slide of the last 2 years.

Jovanovic tinkered again perhaps feeling Mousset could not play 3 games in a week (or 3 60 minute games so not even 2 full games in reality!) and so the veteran Sharp came back in. McBurnie was back on the bench for McGoldrick who was out of the match day squad. Blackburn had senior players Rothwell and Johnson on the bench and also had injuries and suspensions that limited the selections.

The game began in driving rain but United backed by a near 5k following made a fantastic start. They took the kick of and almost got in via Bogle down the right and soon after they were in the lead. Norwood played the ball down the right and Sharp did well to hold off Wharton – he managed to stay on his feet and chipped over a lovely ball. BREWSTER met it on the volley from around the D and caught it beautifully smashing it high into the net. It was a strike out of keeping from a player who has looked totally bereft of confidence since signing. The Blades fans seemed as shocked as pleased at the source of the goal.

United definitely settled better and were knocking it around confidently with Gibbs White always looking to get on the ball but gradually Rovers started to come into the game. Bogle was booked for bringing down Khadra. United started to become sloppy on and off the ball and they were lucky not to concede a penalty when Brereton Diaz skipped through and Egan’s clumsy challenge was not penalised. Soon after this Brereton Diaz had the ball in the net but was adjudged just offside.

Blackburn were now asking questions and ball over saw Olsen rooted to his line and Lenighan somehow missed when he should have scored. Fleck was the next to be booked for a cynical foul as Rovers broke as United’s transition play out of possession continued to be a major weakness as teams continue to run through too easily through a soft centre. United tried to find a way back into it but Gibbs White overplayed twice and then Brewster could not find a finish from a half chance.

United were now defending deeper and deeper and Basham twice had to make last ditch tackles but the same man was culpable on 37 minutes as KHADRA outfoxed him twice, came inside and hit a shot that hit a far too deep Egan and wrong-footed Olsen nestling into the net. The goal had been coming and the home side were deservedly back on level terms.

Bogle had an effort deflected over and Brewster dragged a poor finish wide as United tried to respond before the break but Rovers had another break that was held up by Basham just before the half time whistle.

The second half saw the home side start quicker and were getting joy down both flanks with tricky wing play and also Brereton Diaz a constant threat down the middle too. United were struggling to get any kind of play going but on 57 minutes had a great chance. Fleck, who had been poor, managed to play a lovely through ball to Sharp who was in goal on the angle but his toed effort was weak and saved easily by Kaminski. This miss was to prove costly as Rovers took the lead soon after.

The build up was neat and Travis then ran at Stevens and Egan taking them both out of the game, the ball across saw no United player react and as Norwood and Basham stood like statues, BRERETON-DIAZ got in front of them and finished with a neat side foot finish. A well worked and finished goal but more appalling defending from the Blades who simply are unable to stop conceding goals.

Jokanovic brought on Ndiaye and Mousset for Brewster and Fleck on the hour in an attempt to get back in the game but Blackburn now were creating chances as United’s lack of fitness and weak mentality continues to be exposed. Gibbs White tried to make something happen and had a cross cleared by Davenport but it was still the home side who looked more likely and the third goal duly arrived.

POVEDA was played in down the left and with Bogle nowhere to be seen, he got across and hit a low shot that should have been meat and drink to Olsen, an international goalkeeper with a supposedly good reputation but he spilled the ball (his drink) and it rebounded to Poveda who calmly walked round the keeper and scored into an empty net. Another howler from the Swedish keeper whose signing had not been a success at all.

United had a chance to get one back when Ndiaye played a nice ball into the path of Mousset but he like Sharp hit it too close to the keeper and he and Sharp made a mess of the rebound when right in front of goal. It eventually fell to Gibbs White but he smashed it off the top of the bar and behind. This was the final chance for United and after this Rovers had further chances to score goals. Olsen made a save for the first time in the game, from a Brereton Diaz low shot. Baldock came on for Bogle and then Norwood was booked (which will mean a suspension) before Travis hit the post and sub-Dolan also had a chance but ran out of space.

Many Blades fans had already started to trudge out of a rain sodden Ewood Park long before the additional minutes were played and the 5 minutes passed without incident (so I heard – I had left!) and United meekly played out time and slipped to another desperate defeat.

United – What a mess we are. On and off the field we seem directionless. We never hear form the Chairman (who is it?), the owner or the CEO. What is plan? Where are we going? We were supposed to be getting a director of football supposedly but that has not happened. The training ground was supposed to be developed or a new site found but that has not happened and no news on it at all. We have appointed a manager and not really backed him to get the right players in and worryingly I am not even sure he was that involved in the signings we made. I know he will sign off on them but feel at his other clubs, the players that were brought in were done so by others and as they were good players, he could get a tune out of then. These lads are like an old 80’s band. Now and again, they may bring out a classic still or play a good gig but watching a mostly old, slow and irrelevant side. We have become like Duran Duran.

I really do not enjoy watching us play. Heard someone say defend SJ and the style saying it is good and we have been creating chances and it is entertaining. Other than glimpses against poor sides like Peterborough and Barnsley for spells (and maybe Blackpool) not sure I have been that entertained. It’s dull. It is slow and predictable. We have lots of ball – do nothing with it and then teams attack us and go through and create chances much easier than we do. It is not good to watch and we are losing lots of games. We have no identifiable shape or pattern and this lack of structure is shown up most off the ball when we have such a soft underbelly. For all the talk of tactics and shape and him not having the players to play this way though – these players have to do the basics much better. Passing, control, finishing and then the biggest issues pressing, tackling, defending and stopping players coming through us to score goals.

Indeed, his quote after the game seems to be the most damning about the current prospects for this side. ‘We are not the most solid and strongest team but must play with the characterisitcs of my players. Some positions we don’t have solutions.’ Pretty damning stuff and whilst it is clear these players seem to be clearly not good enough and there has to be questions asked of style of play and their adaptability – it is clear there are questions now to be seriously asked about the management. The players seem unfit, demotivated and fold easily when they go under pressure. It sadly might get worse before it gets better. I am very concerned we may get dragged into a relegation fight but only the bad sides in the bottom 3 might keep us out of it, rather than us being able to put results together. My biggest concern is we won’t be able to change it that dramatically in January or next summer due to financial constraints – being limited with loans (2 left) and saddled with so many on big contracts we cannot offload. The fact the likes of Fleck, Norwood, Egan, Baldock, McBurnie, Burke and Brewster have at least another season, many 2 or 3 left is quite frightening.

We discuss it on the pod (above) but not sure you can sack him. We may get a manager in who might see a short uplift in the side but then what? They can’t afford to sack him either. The only way he will go is if it looks like we may have a chance of going down and/or lose like another 5 or 6 on the bounce. Whilst ever we keeping picking up the odd result, we will stave off any relegation threat and should with the experience/talent (there is some!) in the squad but I would not be shocked if we are embroiled in a bit of a scrap now. The worry is if that happens the players seem to not have the fight or desire anymore. Many do not look arsed to be. Maybe they are just old/unit/tired but most of these lads are 28-32. They are supposedly in their peak? Many just seem finished at this club and their reputations as being part of the one best United sides I’ve ever seen have been damaged to the extent they are just players who played for my team. Outside maybe Sharp, Basham and perhaps Didz, the rest will be remembered for that fantastic run but also equally remembered for effectively mailing it in for 2 years that saw the club plummet nearly back to where they started this journey. Really sad as I did love these players and group but in the same way Wilder seemed to give up, so have many of these. They look like what they were most of their careers before that magical spell – mid to lower Champ players and League One. I am not sure any manager can come in and turn them round now. They seem completely broke. We have to add by subtracting somehow but moving most of these side on will be tough. The three lads I mentioned above who do try and wear the shirt with pride ironically probably won’t be after July 1st as their contracts are up and with the financial state, they all could get deals elsewhere that will be better than what we offer. You can argue their ages that is right but what is worrying is the younger players left are even worse and look less bothered.

Not sure what we do as feel we will limp on this season. The signings in August have not improved us at all (other than Gibbs White) and the recruitment for 3 seasons has been awful. Maybe Mitchell will go to Boro now. He should have been moved on a long time ago and others who are responsible for lumbering us with this dross. It is clearly more than systems or managers as they have been rubbish in a variety of systems for a long time. All those calling for us to go back to a 5-3-2 and the shape we had before have short memories. We were garbage with that. Maybe the argument is we are at a lower level so may be more successful. He is not going to go back to it now though as he clearly has said. Ultimately regardless of shapes, systems and patterns, unless these players do the basics properly and can tackle/defend/head it etc – we will keep losing football games. They have to show they care more and have more desire not just meekly cave in when they concede. The body language yesterday was appalling. Without the ball we must be one of the worst sides in the whole football league. Not even joking. League 2 clubs will have players who run more, chase back more, close down, tackle and clear the ball better. We literally play like a non contact sport and when we do foul it is only as they cannot be bothered to run back as they are lazy.

Today we played well for 5 minutes – then they took over. I am sick of all this talk over moments and if this has happened. It is ‘if we took this chance’ or ‘defended that moment.’ Well guess what? We are not doing that and haven’t for years. It is a pattern, 61% possession and XG is totally irrelevant. Trending in the right direction I hear? Well, the only direction I see is down unless we can do these basic things better. Blackburn had been battered and should have been there for the taking especially after a good start but slowly we let them back in it and the goal had been coming. Yes, Sharp misses a chance but they take their own soon after. So, I am not interested in this ‘if he did this’ or ‘did that.’ We are not doing it and this is football. 2nd half they ran through us time after time. We had a late chance but we were 3-1 down and I felt never properly looked like coming back. These sides beating us are garbage for me. That may seem insulting but it’s not like we have come down and felt we are getting beat by great teams. Take out maybe the top 3 and the rest of the division is howling. Horrific. Yet we are losing to these teams full of journeyman nobodies. You know what? We have a team full of them too but so maybe I have answered why we are doing so badly but I do believe hunger and desire and wanting to score/not concede goals comes down to how much you want it. These players just are not bothered. As Warnock said years ago, ‘they are just picking up a wage.’ Our best 3 players are MGW (is not ours) and Ndiaye and Mousset (that is a stretch but a player who can make things happen) cannot play more than an hour. We are relying on old timers like Bash and Billy to drag us through games trying to make something happen.

I am glad for a break. This team angers me but bores me. The manager has to think seriously about what he is going to do. I am all for sticking with him and letting him try and change things around but it will take 2-3 seasons at least. It will be a bumpy ride and not sure if he will stay for the journey or to carry out his revolution. Sadly, the way football goes as much as I have said I’d like him to stay (not sure what a change achieves) results talk. A continual struggle and the Lane becomes toxic – the away end was yesterday (maybe that was the bad farts!). Next home game if we go behind it will become nasty and if that happens normally the manager goes. I am really concerned for us in both the short and long term. Things have gone wrong as quickly as they had gone right and after 4 amazing years, we may be in for 4 absolute horror years (2 years in). I would not be shocked to see the club back in League One in that time frame and in a real financial mess unless some quick decisions are made to change things on and off the field.

Ratings:

Olsen 3/10 – Another shite performance. He is a big bumbling fool. He does not command, never takes crosses and does not save shots. Not a great combination for an international keeper – how bad must the Swedish pool of keeper be by the way? First half a few crosses whizzed past him and he stays on his line. He seems to be better with his feet than his hands. The first goal was deflected but the 2nd could he have come out for the cross? Maybe I am looking at things but they had 2 shots and 2 goals. The third is awful as he played pat-a-cake with the ball and then got rounded. Awful. Game over. He looks so unconvincing and as bad as the defence are, he is not helping at all. They’ll keep playing him as like Davies, they probably cannot afford not to but I’d drop him to send a message. He might not like it but who cares – he is not our player anyway. Like with many others the players behind him are even worse though and they surely would not have an exit clause from the loan? That would be too much like good planning if things went wrong!

Bogle 3/10 – Thought he was poor 2nd half at Forest and his defending was a factor in the goal when he did not press or get close to the man. He carried this on today as he showed he simply cannot defend. Facing a tricky winger who ran at him, he chopped his man down and got booked so was under pressure from the start. He continued to stand off and not concentrate and react to balls that came his way. Going forward he got into some good areas but his final ball was not good enough with one cross blocked and another shot deflected. Came off on 80 mins. He could have come off long before but so could about 8 others.

Stevens 2.5/10 – He had a decent spell when he got back in the side but now has regressed to the same level of garbage, he has shown for 18 months. 3 awful games in a week. Toss up which one has been worst. He put one decent cross in today but defensively an absolute train wreck. He is nowhere near his man and gets beat too easily. Does not stop crosses either. The 2nd goal he was shockingly bad. On the ball his touch is poor and he passes it to them more than us. I’d say bring Norrington Davies back but he was no better – the fact people are calling for Lowe to come back, shows how bad those two are. Like with Baldock and Bogle, the call for the other comes in as the current incumbent is rubbish. They then come in and the call for the other guy comes back.

Basham 6.5/10 – Maybe the best player in general play, attitude and effort but still rubbish on the first two goals. As with Forest I felt he played well and got stuck in, made tackles, drove with the ball and showed a real desire but as with the week, he was culpable in big moments. The first goal he got beat twice and was not close enough to the guy and then the second goal does not react. Outside of this weirdly he was really good and one of the few who I felt cared. To me he stays in the team no matter what due to his application and honesty. Regardless of talk on shapes/systems – he needs to play somewhere.

Egan 3.5/10 – Another sub-standard performance which has now become the norm. He and Baldock seemed to escape criticism for a long time despite playing every week in a losing side. Many said it was the others’ fault in defence or midfield. I’m not buying that at all. He has turned in soft, error ridden games for a long time and does not even look a solid Championship performer anymore. Today he made mistakes with his passing/clearances and Brereton Diaz was too quick and strong and caused him (and Bash) all sort of problems. When Davies is fit, he needs to be dropped. People may say we’d miss him, but would we? He does not lead, win headers or look commanding. We may as well try something else – we are conceding anyway. I know we’d look soft with Bash and Davies but we are anyway.

Norwood 4/10 – Started with the ball to the goal and played some decent passes – short and long and we looked in control but they started to pick up the loose stuff and in turn get at us and we put no pressure on the ball and led to balls coming through or worse players running through us. We saw some neat and tidy passes 2nd half but at that stage the midfield needed to do what they were doing and commit men and drive to take players out. That is what they did but teams just sit back against our two lads knowing they won’t get in the opposition box and it is all in front of teams. I think Revolution (the poster on S2 not the thing Slav wants) said Norwood has not scored in 112 games (so over 3 seasons) for us from open play in the league and outside of a few pens/free kick v Villa not sure he has scored any other? Yes, I get that is not his game but for someone allegedly good technically he never shoots or tries to have a go at goal?

Fleck 2.5/10 – Another nothing performance from our midfield. They started ok knocking the ball around well and both him and Norwood seemed to be passing it forward more but gradually they started to lose this area and when we had it, the possession was pointless and went nowhere. They started to run through us, as shown by another lazy foul when he could not be bothered to run back. After this the game started to become open and our midfielders lack pace to be able to stop teams running at us. We have no protection for the defence, as bad as they are. One great ball 2nd half but overall does not affect games and we literally have no presence in midfield at all. It is all safe, nice passing to no one and off the ball a complete joke. Another you’d pull out of the team but we have no one as Slav says – shows how much he rates Hourihane already – another total waste of resources! He is worst than Norwood currently as much as ON gets most of the stick. A player I loved but another who has had a long time to turn it around. We cannot see one good game in 7 or 8 and then games of nothingness. Needs moving on.

Osborn 2.5/10 – Did not even know he was playing most of the game. Weak and timid. He was hogging the left side but never saw the ball and when he got it on the few occasions it came to him, he got outmuscled or played it back. We did not have any threat at all down that side and defensively not sure he helped Stevens at all. Nice lad but not good enough. Sadly, there are so many issues with the rest of the side, he probably is not even seen as one of the main issues but his performances save a decent showing at Barnsley have been really poor for some time. Not sure how he stays in the side at all as he offers nothing. I hear he works hard but is it effective effort that actually helps us? Anyone can run around but he does not tackle or press and, on the ball, gives it up as quick as he can due to lack of physicality/pace when challenges come in.

Gibbs White 5.5/10 – Bright and always looking to get on it but his form has trailed off despite some of the good things he still does in games. Not sure he has been as consistent as those early games and is a bit of a sulker too. Probably wonders why he came here and I bet would like to go back if he can? You do not want to be part of a relegation fight at this level really if you have aspirations of playing in the top flight regularly. He does get in good positions and some of our best bits came from him but he actually took too long to do things and gave the ball away in the lead up the 2nd goal. Looked frustrated by the end.

Brewster 4.5/10 – A great volley and pleased he has scored as it was becoming beyond embarrassing. I thought it would inspire him and he’d go on and play well – he did not. He showed a few flashes and far from our worst player but he was distinctly average again. He dragged another shot wide and then started to fade badly and was taken off on the hour. A great goal but another sub-standard performance.

Sharp 5/10 – Tried hard and like Bash put effort in. Set up the goal and was running the channels well but then they got on top and he was living off scraps again until a great chance. He seems better at assisting than scoring these days. He has missed some big opportunities this season. He has to take that and it does have a big impact on the game. Also, he had a chance at 3-1 but maybe Mousset got in his way but he still mis controlled it.

Subs –

Ndiaye 6/10 – Got on the ball as he often does and had one slalom run and also the ball to Mousset. He needs to play for me. I know he is struggling with playing full games but he is at least exciting to watch and makes things happen. Ridiculous he was our best player last week and has been dropped for the next two. I feel sorry for him actually playing with a set of inept players as he is the only one along with MGW willing to run with it and take chances.

Mousset 2/10 – Came on and looked shattered after one run (jog). Given a great chance and missed it with a poor finish and messed up the rebound too.

Baldock – Barely noticed him. The game was finished pretty much. They continued to attack through us though but not sure changing a right back on 80 mins is going to achieve?

Manager :

Jokanovic 2/10 – Started the game well which has been an issue – we have been poor and slow starters, done better and then regressed most games. Today we had a good 5 minutes. That was it. The rest of the game we had a lot of ball but once again did little with it and when they had it with fewer passes got behind us or through us. We continued to defend badly with no shape or structure and as soon as we concede, you think that’s it we are done. It happened again. We have appalling fitness and the poor work ethic and lack of determination to hold leads and not concede stupid goals was all to see again. We are completely soft and the players look like they are just feeling sorry for themselves. For all the criticism of the players (do look finished many of them for this club) he has to do better and I still have no idea what the plan is. I am not sure unless we have 8 or 9 new players, that the way he sets us up will yield any improvements. We are not signing a new team and it will take 1-2 years to change it all around. In the short term he has to be much more pragmatic. The reality is most of these players (Ndiaye might be only one I would want!) will be here to play his way – he already said some positions we don’t have solutions – so surely, he needs to act on this?

He says we are not solid or strong (guess he means physically?) so do something to arrest it. Play another man in midfield and/or at the back -we have to be harder to beat. At the moment we just roll over. I want him to succeed and feel he has been given a set of crap to work with – the rot had set in long before he came- but he still had to do much better. I feel we still should be doing better than we are even for all the criticism of these players. Will the board remain patient or will they pull the trigger if things carry on? I think he knows if the results and performances carry on, he will be in trouble even if he has been hamstrung. They need to hope we get a few wins before Xmas to keep us away from trouble and somehow, he can bring in 2-3. He needs to try and somehow send Olsen/Hourihane back if possible – even if we pay them for the time, they were meant to be here but then needs funds to sign replacements and not sure they are there?

His team selections and subs are bizarre. He rotates people about for no reason – not based on good or bad form. Ndiaye not playing is ridiculous. The two subs were ok today and needed happening but then the Baldock one is odd – he has done this before replacing a full back with 10 minutes to go when we are losing – Bogle was poor but the timing is odd. The horse has bolted.

His whole-body language worries me at the moment. It matches the team. It is not about wanting a ranter and shouter but someone who actually can instil some passion and better effort in this side. He is failing badly on this regard. He had made a really poor start and we know if we go behind next home game, the inevitable boos will kick in and you sense the fan base will start to become even more split. I also know rightly or wrongly now, Wilder’s results at Boro will be brought up in comparison – wrongly.

Blackburn – Rovers were just about United having had a very average record with wins, draws and losses very similar. They had gone on a decent run and Bereton Diaz had been a real focal point but the defeat to Fulham was a real bolt out of the blue. It showed how far off they (and most of the rest of the division) can be most days against the top 3. Mowbray had done a steady job for a few years but not sure they have been close to going up or going down and seem marooned in a sort of nothingness. It is hard when there are teams with parachute payments coming down all the time and the best bet maybe to snatch a playoff spot. Some fans have questioned Mowbray and seemed to have wanted a change but they had started ok this season until dropping off a bit.

The squad is a mixed bag of some veterans and some young players. Bereton Diaz seems a different player since he played for Chile and did well and added a name after looking an expensive flop before. There are a few solid players in the middle of the park like Bradley Johnson and Joe Rothwell. Young players like the on loan Poveda, Dolan, Davenport and Buckley have shown some promise and one-time United target Lenighan is a regular at the back. Dack has been out with a few serious injuries and not due back till early next year but wonder whether he will ever be able to play consistently without going out hurt.

They look to me the classic mid table side. The Fulham result was not something that has happened to them at home but was a bit of a freak result and the red card of course did not help them but they are normally strong at home. I do not see them being near the top 6 but nowhere near the bottom or close to being in a relegation scrap.

I was concerned about the result in the week as thought they would react and knew us, a soft touch, would fold if they got a foothold in the game. So it proved. We gave them confidence to come back and they took the chances they had. They could have gone under after the goal but the two wingers continued to cause problems as did Brereton Diaz up top. They got through us time after time. In the end they got the goal just before the break and after the Sharp let off, they attacked at will and scored a good goal and then another from a keeping error. They could have had more. Not sure they were great but teams don’t have to be in order to beat us. They just run at us or through us and watch us fold. They will probably play someone next and lose. It’s us I am afraid rather than the opposition – most of these same sides, this group would have taken apart (we did 3 seasons ago - a 2- and 3-0-win b Blackburn with many of the same players for both sides) but now we look a sorry mess. Today they probably had a weaker side than the one from a few years ago and were missing a fair few and had some inexperienced players in but they actually wanted to make an impression. Ours know they can play like that every week and keep getting picked as the manager has nothing behind them.

Opponent Man of the Match – Brereton Diaz was the stand out for me. Really become a different player since he added a name and a country! He was strong, quick and powerful and caused us problems all game. However, Poveda and Khadra both were direct and caused issues and Travis ran at us a lot too.

Opponent Weak link – Did not notice Buckley much and felt they did not play through midfield but were far more effective than us in what they did and still had better passing moves. Had an inexperienced back line and a keeper that let in 7 but we did not test them after the first 5 minutes. I thought Eyum struggled a bit when Gibbs White got on it but not sure anyone was bad as they individually were much better than us.

Referee/Officials – Oliver Langford. Not even the refs can save us. Today he rightly booked a few of ours for stupid and cynical fouls and then Norwood for dissent I think (again – twice in a week – poor). He could have given them a penalty for the Egan foul. Brereton Diaz went down quite easily but there was a fair bit of contact so would not have been shocked if he had given it. After this nothing that significantly wrong really. I was too busy focusing on our ineptitude sadly.

Day Out / Crowd – First away day for me for nearly 2 years since Arsenal away. Came away from that proud of punch of my team and thought we were set to be in the top flight for a long time – trudged away soaking wet through and having seen us well beaten by an ordinary Championship side (we are of course even worse now). It was weird being on an ‘away day’ again. Went with my son and we went via Manchester on the train (bad idea with Manchester Derby being on at lunchtime). We had a few hours in Manchester and had one of the best bacon sarnies I have ever had from Mackie Mayor (like a Kommune type food hall) and then we opted to walk to Salford Central (as close as Victoria really) to avoid the crowds as saw the train we were getting missed out Manchester. 45 minutes later and we were in Blackburn. I have been before and it is not the most salubrious of town! To say it is run down is an understatement. I sold my soul and went into Wetherspoons after saying I would never go in one again but it had started raining and I had my lad with me so needed somewhere ahem, child friendly. After nearly watching a fight broke out (not sure it was the United fans fault - someone who was not even a Blackburn/football fan seemed to strangely want to start some aggro) we supped up and left. It is a fair walk and we got soaked as the rain lashed down (should have got a cab) and I was questioning my sanity.

After we got there down Alan Shearer Way, we had a few beers at the fanzone (a tent with a bar there so fan zone is a big grand of a term but allowed us to shelter from the rain) and my cousin who is a Wednesday fan but lives in Manchester and was going to watch with his mate who is a Blackburn fan. So nice to catch up with him but then the game always spoils it. My mood was not helped by the rain and then a shocking performance. Started well and the noise was good when we scored but then started to get frustrating. I opted to go to the loo to avoid the concourse at half time so only just saw their goal but then after this it all went wrong. We opted to leave early to get away as others did – one moron decided to shove me down the steps as he was so desperate to leave and seemed to think I was not going quick enough! Believe me pal I was desperate to leave. Also loads of fans stood on the steps all game did not help?

There was the usual mixture of knobheads (coked up and pissed) in the away end and on the trains. I have to admit the result, rain and the aforementioned clientele has not had me desperate to go away any time soon. I used to love it even when we were crap but nowadays with other priorities in life and covid etc leading to me spending Saturday’s doing other stuff too, I am not sure I miss it that much. I get I may be questioned as a true fan for saying that but those that go every week away, you should have a break and save your money – once you get out of the habit you don’t miss it that much. Sad I am almost advocating not going to watch United but I do think what I see going on when you go away makes it quite uncomfortable. I went with my 13-year-old son who was really looking forward to it but not sure he will be desperate go away anytime soon.

After the game we rushed back to the Station aiming for the 17.15ish train but it was cancelled due to a tree falling on the line – so all those that took their time got to the station for the next packed train anyway! Summed up the day. Eventually after walking from Victoria to Piccadilly, we got home for around 8.30-9pm but a pretty much miserable day really.

Olsen: very disappointing. Makes League One Wes a contender which he should be ashamed of.
Basham: really good up to the first goal, keeping us in it. Mediocre thereafter which gives him MOTM. A better player than Powder Puff Ben.
The rest of the defence: shocking
Fleck: lazy, slow, inept. Did one good pass
Norwood: awful corners, hiding near the defence, slow and inept. At least he’s suspended now so we will miss the counter attacking that comes from his corners
Osborn: overmatched and ineffective
MGW: not bad. Second best on the pitch
Brewster: super goal, so pleased for him (and us). Rest of his performance was the usual poor to mediocre showing
Sharp: Did a lot of things really well - assist, even some good defending. Poor finishing (decent save though it was) is now a concern

Subs: Mousset back to pre-Stoke Mousset, Ndiaye too many blind alleys (again) Baldock no better than Bogle.

Slav: tactics and subs leave a lot to be desired but what can you do when the majority of the first XI are losers and/or quitters and inept with it.

Egan, Stevens, Olsen, Bogle, Norwood and Fleck should all be ashamed of themselves. They won’t be though. They will keep serving up the same crap whilst MGW and one of the strikers will bail us out occasionally.

I wasn’t there but my son was. He stayed to the end and said that when the players came over they were left in no doubt as to what the fans thought of that performance.

The only bright spot is I have won 280 quid betting on us not to win any of the last 3 games. Easy money as most of them are gutless.

Thank goodness for the international break.

These lads are like an old 80’s band. Now and again, they may bring out a classic still or play a good gig but watching a mostly old, slow and irrelevant side. We have become like Duran Duran. …
A decent analogy. Not least because it sums up the bad case of Bryan Robson Deja Vu I feel locked into, watching this season’s games. Apart from the fact that our current crop of wilting flowers on expensive contracts were already in situ before Slav arrived, whereas Captain Calamity brought his own in, the parallels are striking.

If I could be arsed, e.g., I’m sure I could dig out old threads from the Robbo years that would match the following paragraph more or less sentiment for sentiment:-
It’s dull. It is slow and predictable. We have lots of ball – do nothing with it and then teams attack us and go through and create chances much easier than we do. It is not good to watch and we are losing lots of games. We have no identifiable shape or pattern and this lack of structure is shown up most off the ball when we have such a soft underbelly. For all the talk of tactics and shape and him not having the players to play this way though – these players have to do the basics much better. Passing, control, finishing and then the biggest issues pressing, tackling, defending and stopping players coming through us to score goals.

The main difference with 2007/8 being that we are currently even worse without the ball.

Fucksake. 🤷‍♂️

If we go down to League 1,then I would not be surprised if the owner gives up and we go into administration. He has barely put any money into the club directly and the balance sheet is shit(sorry 😔). There will be big losses last year and this year even with the parachute payments.
Without an emotional connection to the club he may well cut and run .
What a mess.

United – What a mess we are. On and off the field we seem directionless. We never hear form the Chairman (who is it?), the owner or the CEO. What is plan? Where are we going? We were supposed to be getting a director of football supposedly but that has not happened. The training ground was supposed to be developed or a new site found but that has not happened and no news on it at all. We have appointed a manager and not really backed him to get the right players in and worryingly I am not even sure he was that involved in the signings we made. I know he will sign off on them but feel at his other clubs, the players that were brought in were done so by others and as they were good players, he could get a tune out of then. These lads are like an old 80’s band. Now and again, they may bring out a classic still or play a good gig but watching a mostly old, slow and irrelevant side. We have become like Duran Duran.

This is what's concerning me. There seems no leadership. I have no idea who is responsible for transfers. I'm sure they ask Slav if he wants a player but he's hardly likely to turn down any player the way we're going! I have no idea if we have a long-term vision. The loan signings seem like a desperate attempt to go back up but that was never likely to happen given the squads Fulham and WBA have. Do we have a plan? We seem rudderless at the moment.

Basham 6.5/10 – Maybe the best player in general play, attitude and effort but still rubbish on the first two goals. As with Forest I felt he played well and got stuck in, made tackles, drove with the ball and showed a real desire but as with the week, he was culpable in big moments. The first goal he got beat twice and was not close enough to the guy and then the second goal does not react. Outside of this weirdly he was really good and one of the few who I felt cared. To me he stays in the team no matter what due to his application and honesty. Regardless of talk on shapes/systems – he needs to play somewhere.

My ratings are fairly similar, if a bit less than you, but I think you're giving Bash a bit too much credit here. I agree he actually looks like he cares and gives everything, which is obviously in his favour, but I thought he had a bit of a mare defensively yesterday. The first goal was embarrassing. I feel he was at fault for not marking a man a couple of times when balls were in the box. The thing I couldn't understand is that he burst forward on a few occasions. Leaving Norwood or Fleck to cover. I don't want to see my CB in a back 4 doing that. Egan does it as well. More often than not they lose the ball (or someone else does) and then are out of position when the other team counters. Another thing I noticed yesterday was that he and Egan were miles apart and that Norwood seemed to be playing in a kind of sweeper role. Which I find bonkers given Norwood just can't tackle.

This is what's concerning me. There seems no leadership. I have no idea who is responsible for transfers. I'm sure they ask Slav if he wants a player but he's hardly likely to turn down any player the way we're going! I have no idea if we have a long-term vision. The loan signings seem like a desperate attempt to go back up but that was never likely to happen given the squads Fulham and WBA have. Do we have a plan? We seem rudderless at the moment.

My ratings are fairly similar, if a bit less than you, but I think you're giving Bash a bit too much credit here. I agree he actually looks like he cares and gives everything, which is obviously in his favour, but I thought he had a bit of a mare defensively yesterday. The first goal was embarrassing. I feel he was at fault for not marking a man a couple of times when balls were in the box. The thing I couldn't understand is that he burst forward on a few occasions. Leaving Norwood or Fleck to cover. I don't want to see my CB in a back 4 doing that. Egan does it as well. More often than not they lose the ball (or someone else does) and then are out of position when the other team counters. Another thing I noticed yesterday was that he and Egan were miles apart and that Norwood seemed to be playing in a kind of sweeper role. Which I find bonkers given Norwood just can't tackle.
Norwood dropping down was just when we had possession, to give him a bit more time and space to start off moves.

I think Basham could have done better, but was also let down by his teammates on the first goal, my view here.

Didnt see the match but in the 9 min highlights we created as many chances as Blackburn
But totally agree that Olson at fault for 2nd + 3rd goal if we can send him back and use the money to buy someone who cares
i just ask that Slater rather than O'H starts and it time to look at the u23's because we are looking at a Steel city derby at the moment
P.S does anyone honestly think CWAK will be looking to take amyone M'boro?

As you have said its not about systems because we are equally crap playing 3-5-2 its about the mental state of the players. They are accustomed to losing. Covid put them in a training ground style of play comfort zone without the intensity of having a crowd. I hear cries for the manager to go because the players won't play for him and someone else will get more out of them. If you've watched the pathetic efforts over the last 18 months you'll realise CW and PH couldn't get any improvements either.

We are at a crossroads as a Club now. A pro active Board would come out of hiding and share with us what the immediate plans are for SUFC to stem the growing criticism. Install a new Chairman and DOF based full time at BDTBL. Update us on the supposed new investment for a JTW war chest. At the same time tell us United World has been parked as far as SUFC is concerned as all the energy is going to be devoted 100% on the Blades.

A reactive Board would not communicate. Allow us to continue to drift till December as we fall into the relegation spots. The atmosphere at the Lane becomes toxic as Blades fight with each other and finally we press the panic button and install PH citing SJ's insistence on not playing 3-5-2 as the reason for our demise. The new investment is used to pay off SJ and his team. The Board are confident Hecky will turn it around as they issued a resolution of thanks for his stellar performance in previously achieving 3 wins and 8 losses. We get told United World is going to buy a new club in Timbuktu, the jam tomorrow benefits for SUFC will be enormous in the future, just can't detail what they will be now.

We all know which one our current Board is. The Prince would be best employed getting on a plane and turning up for the Coventry match and at least show by his appearance that he is as equally concerned as we all are.

I really do not enjoy watching us play. Heard someone say defend SJ and the style saying it is good and we have been creating chances and it is entertaining. Other than glimpses against poor sides like Peterborough and Barnsley for spells (and maybe Blackpool) not sure I have been that entertained. It’s dull. It is slow and predictable. We have lots of ball – do nothing with it and then teams attack us and go through and create chances much easier than we do. It is not good to watch and we are losing lots of games. We have no identifiable shape or pattern and this lack of structure is shown up most off the ball when we have such a soft underbelly. For all the talk of tactics and shape and him not having the players to play this way though – these players have to do the basics much better. Passing, control, finishing and then the biggest issues pressing, tackling, defending and stopping players coming through us to score goals.

Indeed, his quote after the game seems to be the most damning about the current prospects for this side. ‘We are not the most solid and strongest team but must play with the characterisitcs of my players. Some positions we don’t have solutions.’ Pretty damning stuff and whilst it is clear these players seem to be clearly not good enough and there has to be questions asked of style of play and their adaptability – it is clear there are questions now to be seriously asked about the management. The players seem unfit, demotivated and fold easily when they go under pressure. It sadly might get worse before it gets better. I am very concerned we may get dragged into a relegation fight but only the bad sides in the bottom 3 might keep us out of it, rather than us being able to put results together. My biggest concern is we won’t be able to change it that dramatically in January or next summer due to financial constraints – being limited with loans (2 left) and saddled with so many on big contracts we cannot offload. The fact the likes of Fleck, Norwood, Egan, Baldock, McBurnie, Burke and Brewster have at least another season, many 2 or 3 left is quite frightening.

We discuss it on the pod (above) but not sure you can sack him. We may get a manager in who might see a short uplift in the side but then what? They can’t afford to sack him either. The only way he will go is if it looks like we may have a chance of going down and/or lose like another 5 or 6 on the bounce. Whilst ever we keeping picking up the odd result, we will stave off any relegation threat and should with the experience/talent (there is some!) in the squad but I would not be shocked if we are embroiled in a bit of a scrap now. The worry is if that happens the players seem to not have the fight or desire anymore. Many do not look arsed to be. Maybe they are just old/unit/tired but most of these lads are 28-32. They are supposedly in their peak? Many just seem finished at this club and their reputations as being part of the one best United sides I’ve ever seen have been damaged to the extent they are just players who played for my team. Outside maybe Sharp, Basham and perhaps Didz, the rest will be remembered for that fantastic run but also equally remembered for effectively mailing it in for 2 years that saw the club plummet nearly back to where they started this journey. Really sad as I did love these players and group but in the same way Wilder seemed to give up, so have many of these. They look like what they were most of their careers before that magical spell – mid to lower Champ players and League One. I am not sure any manager can come in and turn them round now. They seem completely broke. We have to add by subtracting somehow but moving most of these side on will be tough. The three lads I mentioned above who do try and wear the shirt with pride ironically probably won’t be after July 1st as their contracts are up and with the financial state, they all could get deals elsewhere that will be better than what we offer. You can argue their ages that is right but what is worrying is the younger players left are even worse and look less bothered.

Not sure what we do as feel we will limp on this season. The signings in August have not improved us at all (other than Gibbs White) and the recruitment for 3 seasons has been awful. Maybe Mitchell will go to Boro now. He should have been moved on a long time ago and others who are responsible for lumbering us with this dross. It is clearly more than systems or managers as they have been rubbish in a variety of systems for a long time. All those calling for us to go back to a 5-3-2 and the shape we had before have short memories. We were garbage with that. Maybe the argument is we are at a lower level so may be more successful. He is not going to go back to it now though as he clearly has said. Ultimately regardless of shapes, systems and patterns, unless these players do the basics properly and can tackle/defend/head it etc – we will keep losing football games. They have to show they care more and have more desire not just meekly cave in when they concede. The body language yesterday was appalling. Without the ball we must be one of the worst sides in the whole football league. Not even joking. League 2 clubs will have players who run more, chase back more, close down, tackle and clear the ball better. We literally play like a non contact sport and when we do foul it is only as they cannot be bothered to run back as they are lazy.

Today we played well for 5 minutes – then they took over. I am sick of all this talk over moments and if this has happened. It is ‘if we took this chance’ or ‘defended that moment.’ Well guess what? We are not doing that and haven’t for years. It is a pattern, 61% possession and XG is totally irrelevant. Trending in the right direction I hear? Well, the only direction I see is down unless we can do these basic things better. Blackburn had been battered and should have been there for the taking especially after a good start but slowly we let them back in it and the goal had been coming. Yes, Sharp misses a chance but they take their own soon after. So, I am not interested in this ‘if he did this’ or ‘did that.’ We are not doing it and this is football. 2nd half they ran through us time after time. We had a late chance but we were 3-1 down and I felt never properly looked like coming back. These sides beating us are garbage for me. That may seem insulting but it’s not like we have come down and felt we are getting beat by great teams. Take out maybe the top 3 and the rest of the division is howling. Horrific. Yet we are losing to these teams full of journeyman nobodies. You know what? We have a team full of them too but so maybe I have answered why we are doing so badly but I do believe hunger and desire and wanting to score/not concede goals comes down to how much you want it. These players just are not bothered. As Warnock said years ago, ‘they are just picking up a wage.’ Our best 3 players are MGW (is not ours) and Ndiaye and Mousset (that is a stretch but a player who can make things happen) cannot play more than an hour. We are relying on old timers like Bash and Billy to drag us through games trying to make something happen.

I am glad for a break. This team angers me but bores me. The manager has to think seriously about what he is going to do. I am all for sticking with him and letting him try and change things around but it will take 2-3 seasons at least. It will be a bumpy ride and not sure if he will stay for the journey or to carry out his revolution. Sadly, the way football goes as much as I have said I’d like him to stay (not sure what a change achieves) results talk. A continual struggle and the Lane becomes toxic – the away end was yesterday (maybe that was the bad farts!). Next home game if we go behind it will become nasty and if that happens normally the manager goes. I am really concerned for us in both the short and long term. Things have gone wrong as quickly as they had gone right and after 4 amazing years, we may be in for 4 absolute horror years (2 years in). I would not be shocked to see the club back in League One in that time frame and in a real financial mess unless some quick decisions are made to change things on and off the field.
THIS.

Always my favourite part of your reports, DB. Honest and accurate.

UTB

There was the usual mixture of knobheads (coked up and pissed) in the away end and on the trains. I have to admit the result, rain and the aforementioned clientele has not had me desperate to go away any time soon. I used to love it even when we were crap but nowadays with other priorities in life and covid etc leading to me spending Saturday’s doing other stuff too, I am not sure I miss it that much. I get I may be questioned as a true fan for saying that but those that go every week away, you should have a break and save your money – once you get out of the habit you don’t miss it that much. Sad I am almost advocating not going to watch United but I do think what I see going on when you go away makes it quite uncomfortable. I went with my 13-year-old son who was really looking forward to it but not sure he will be desperate go away anytime soon.

I have to concur with that DB. I've only done three away games this season Luton, Hull and now Blackburn (I'd probably say three too many!), and four home games, but the Saturdays I've not gone I've got into the habit of walking down from Handsworth to the Winter Green boozer at Waverley, having a pint while watching the scores come through then walking home at full time. And have to say at the minute that's much more preferable than watching United.

Same as you I used to love going even when we were really crap but currently not that bothered.

If we go down to League 1,then I would not be surprised if the owner gives up and we go into administration. He has barely put any money into the club directly and the balance sheet is shit(sorry 😔). There will be big losses last year and this year even with the parachute payments.
What a mess.
Bloody hell! I'm starting to be really concerned now.

So we are Duran Duran? Is that because our midfield is Invisible? Thought the ref made a howler by not awarding them a pen in first half. Think VAR would def have given that.

Bloody hell! I'm starting to be really concerned now.
I know your joking but I need reassuring that the Prince is in it long term. Important to see latest accounts on whether he has put any money into the club to finance losses or just financing them through overdraft /guarantees.

I know your joking but I need reassuring that the Prince is in it long term. Important to see latest accounts on whether he has put any money into the club to finance losses or just financing them through overdraft /guarantees.
No I'm not joking or taking the piss, I'm genuinely worried about we're we are going to end up, if we go down, which on current form and taking into account the piss poor sides below us, we've could capitulate and fall through the trap door!

I used to love it even when we were crap but nowadays with other priorities in life and covid etc leading to me spending Saturday’s doing other stuff too, I am not sure I miss it that much. I get I may be questioned as a true fan for saying that but those that go every week away, you should have a break and save your money – once you get out of the habit you don’t miss it that much.
It's a stage I never thought I'd be at in my life (nor to anyone who knows me!), but this is exactly how I feel.

Saturday was my first away game of the season too and I can't say I came away thinking I'd missed it. With my second child due in January I doubt I'll doing another for a while.

I barely even watch any other football at the minute!

What a mess.
That's my worry. For all their faults our previous owners have had an emotional connection to the club. Mike Macdonald wasn't originally a Blade but the rest were as far as I know. They all lived in or close to Sheffield, or had strong connections here. They wouldn't have been able to allow the club to fail and leave. There would be a massive outcry from not only fans but family, colleagues, friends and neighbours.

The Prince on the other hand can just fuck off back to LA with no comeback whatsoever.

Glad to see more criticism of the ownership and the board starting to appear, it's felt at times that the majority of the fanbase had swallowed everything Prince Abdullah had said without question.

In my opinion, we have some enormous problems with the people running the club. I feel like there is no vision, no plan, no knowledge, no basic competence, no urgency, no desire to grab opportunities. There's no-one driving things forward. No-one who cares. We've missed opportunities both in terms of building a lasting infrastructure and by following a misguided high fee / lower wages strategy when we could have made more suitable changes to the squad without getting involved in the realms of £50-60k a week wages.

We're now left rudderless in a key period where we should be maximising the financial advantage that the parachute payments give us and potentially transitioning to a new style.

We're playing 4-2-3-1 without centre-backs or central midfielders who can play in a 2. The signings of Davies (clearly a Mitchell choice) and Hourihane actually made the problem worse rather than better. I'm not sure we even have a striker who really fits as the one up front. There has to be questions around Jokanovic here but there are also mitigating factors - how much can he do with such an unbalanced squad and with so many players who appear to be permanently out of form and/or confidence?

Completely agree with the points on this thread and others about the away day experience. Just not very pleasant at the moment. Almost certainly an age-thing on my side but I feel like we're over-indexing for dickheads at the moment. The bloke behind me at Blackburn just spewed nonsensical, repetitive bollocks for 90 minutes on Saturday. Christ knows what his teenage son made of it all. We've always had moaners, they just seem more determined to let everyone know how unhappy they are at the moment. And maybe it's just kids being kids but I can do without getting covered in ketchup when we score (as happened at Hull) or lads clambering over seats to get in Gibbs-White's face to tell how him how shit he is.

All a bit depressing at the moment...

Our pride’s gone out the window, cross the rooftops, run away. Crazy some would say.

Glad to see more criticism of the ownership and the board starting to appear, it's felt at times that the majority of the fanbase had swallowed everything Prince Abdullah had said without question.

In my opinion, we have some enormous problems with the people running the club. I feel like there is no vision, no plan, no knowledge, no basic competence, no urgency, no desire to grab opportunities. There's no-one driving things forward. No-one who cares. We've missed opportunities both in terms of building a lasting infrastructure and by following a misguided high fee / lower wages strategy when we could have made more suitable changes to the squad without getting involved in the realms of £50-60k a week wages.

We're now left rudderless in a key period where we should be maximising the financial advantage that the parachute payments give us and potentially transitioning to a new style.

We're playing 4-2-3-1 without centre-backs or central midfielders who can play in a 2. The signings of Davies (clearly a Mitchell choice) and Hourihane actually made the problem worse rather than better. I'm not sure we even have a striker who really fits as the one up front. There has to be questions around Jokanovic here but there are also mitigating factors - how much can he do with such an unbalanced squad and with so many players who appear to be permanently out of form and/or confidence?

Completely agree with the points on this thread and others about the away day experience. Just not very pleasant at the moment. Almost certainly an age-thing on my side but I feel like we're over-indexing for dickheads at the moment. The bloke behind me at Blackburn just spewed nonsensical, repetitive bollocks for 90 minutes on Saturday. Christ knows what his teenage son made of it all. We've always had moaners, they just seem more determined to let everyone know how unhappy they are at the moment. And maybe it's just kids being kids but I can do without getting covered in ketchup when we score (as happened at Hull) or lads clambering over seats to get in Gibbs-White's face to tell how him how shit he is.

All a bit depressing at the moment...

Must admit I've never been too interested in things at board level. Of course I've been disappointed when we've sold our better players, but my thinking has usually been 'these are the people we have in charge and there's not much I can do about it'.

I've thought PA has seemed sincere in his interviews, but I've noticed you've not been too impressed.

I know nothing about what happens at boardroom level, apart from what PA has said in his interviews.

I had to look up who our board members actually are:

Yusuf Giansiracusa (Acting Chairman)

HRH Reem Bint Abdullah Al Saud

Abdullah Alghamdi

Jan Van Winckel

There's at least a football man in Van Winckel there, but we don't hear much from him at all. Not heard much from Bettis either. Bettis used to appear with Wilder on occasions, but I don't think he's been interviewed alongside Jokanovic at all? Especially with SJ's english not being great, some support from Bettis may have been useful?

I agree some more information would be good, and I'd like to find out what our recruitment process is like at the moment.

"The build up was neat and Travis then ran at Stevens and Egan taking them both out of the game"

I've not read the rest of the report, I don't want to reflect anymore on Saturday, but this line above says it all. Do we have a player that can take a man on and thereby opening space? No, we don't, and our squad cost over £100m. Given time Slav will get this type of player in, but in the meantime this is a big issue as is the fact that no one can score from outside the box, something that other teams seem to do on a regular basis to us.

I know we are bad. Christ, we are really bad. But Duran Duran? The worst band to actually make the bigtime in my 63 years on this earth? Fronted by a wanker who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket? No, even we're not that bad. Although if someone makes an analogy with dopey Foreigner, I may concur....

Mate went to O2 to see New Order said they were shit
Seen them myself at Glastonbury few year back ( on square box ) thought they were shit back then
I’ve seen them in both guises JD and NO
Once Hooky went it were over for me

Shame about the result, good day out. I thought it was going to be a hammering after the 1st goal :(

Back
Top Bottom