Birmingham 1 United 2 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Brief report as once again on my way home on the train. So might be full of typos!

Will hopefully do a pod at the weekend rounding up the final few away games and the parade and a season review too. I’ve also got my detailed written season review to come that will send people to asleep so look out for that from the weekend all being well.

Today it was good after the fade out at Huddersfield, to get back to a better performance and winning ways. Nice to finish on a high for the packed put away end who were in celebratory mood!

In the end we won 2-1 but it should have been by a cricket score. United were full value for the win and with better finishing/luck, it would have been much more emphatic. We seemed to have so many chances and get through them easily in the 2nd half.

We had 21 shots but only 3 on target but two off the post, countless other chances and Osula should have had a hat trick. Second half we looked like scoring every time we attacked with pace, power and running. Even at 2-0 we put more strikers on and cut through them. They got a late goal but we actually looked more like scoring again.

Jukwietwicz (sp?) hit the post first half from close range after we got caught out down the side but after a slow start, we took over the game and all the football was played from United. Ndiaye started to cause problems with some ridiculous skill and ability to get out of situations he had no right to. We started to control possession and midfield.

We had a few blocked from Doyle and Stevens before a crazy spell where we took them apart and both McAtee and Doyle hit the same post. Not sure how it stayed out? We had a few other moments and Birmingham looked a poor side with the long ball to Khadra not really working. He looked the same ineffective, headless chicken he was at the Lane.

Second half, we dominated and started to get into really dangerous areas and force them back. Baldock got injured and we put Berge on and Doyle to right back. However, we were dominating the ball and Ndiaye they could not get the ball off. We scored after a patient move and Bash sent in a great cross and MCBURNIE flight ked his header in. Great move, centre and header.

It was not long after when the second came. A ball down the side and over the top from Robinson saw the Birmingham defence caught out. Ndiaye was onto it and controlled it but for once did not kill it but MCATEE nipped in to score easily. He ran to the Blades fans and executed a somersault. McBurnie tried to repeat it but failed miserably! Some lovely scenes with the players down near the fans after this went in with the new McAtee chant getting a Lusby airing!

Both the scorers went off straight after before the hour mark but United made really positive changes with Osula and Sharp on and Ndiaye dropping just behind. Osula was full of running and looked a powerful handful. We had lots more opportunities and he shot wide twice before Berge should have done better. The home side were getting turned around and could not cope with the pace and power. Ndiaye was in imperious form and they could not get the ball off him.

We made more changes with Fleck and Stevens off and Norwood and youngster Buyabu coming on. United continued to force the play though and Osula screwed wide and then lifted one over. The fans were desperate for Sharp to score but nothing fell for the veteran. Norwood then tried an ambitious effort from nearly 45 yards.
A cheap free kick saw Birmingham get one back out of nothing as the ball dropped from a header to SANDERSON and he fired home with 10 minutes to play.

The home fans sensed an unlikely comeback in a game that should have been dead and buried but it was the Blades who nearly got in again with the scorer Sanderson denying Sharp and the all action Osula nearly getting in again. Norwood whipped an effort wide too.

There was three minutes of stoppage time but a late free kick was the only real chance for Birmingham but Hannibal’s plan did not come together and he blazed miles over. The full-time whistle was blown

Ratings-

Davies 6.5/10 – Not much to do. Stuck on his line on the one that came across when Jut- his name hit the bar. Outside of this saved a Bellingham shot and had little chance on the goal. Kicked two out under little pressure. Can’t use his right foot at all!

Baldock 7/10 – Very good first half and made done good interceptions and also got forward well when he could. Usual committed and whole hearted till he picked up a knock stretching for the ball.

Stevens 6/10 – Had a few shots, one blocked and another looped wide. Does not have the burst he used to have when he gets well forward and often goes back. He did OK defensively but just mot the player he was. Doubt we will see him again for us but what a servant he has been and glad he went out starting and winning.

Basham 6.5/10 – Some old school Bash runs and really was advanced today. His cross for the goal was a beauty. He did get beat a few times and looked a bit slow on the turn again – same as Huddersfield. Still finished with a committed performance and got a great ovation at the end from the Blades.

Egan 7/10 – Solid performance where he defended well and did what he had to. Not really pressured even though they went long to Juts his name and then Deeney.

Robinson 7/10 – As above, he competed and won tackles. His ball set up the second goal. He has embodied a lot of what’s been good about us to close the season.

Fleck 5.5/10 – He gave it away a fair bit to start but thought he got better and had some ok moments. He got ran past defensively too much though and looked slow. He did have a better 2nd half. Another who got his name sang as he too may depart in the summer. Superb contribution to SUFC the last 7 seasons. Blades legend.

Doyle 8/10 – All action where he used the ball, got about the pitch and showed his energy. Looked a class act. Set plays a bit mixed again though. Hit the post with a decent effort. Even when he went to right back, he did a job for the team. The Blades fans sang throughout the game and at the end, ‘Tommy Doyle, we want you to stay!’

McAtee 6.5/10 – Flitted in and out to begin and lost it or got hustled out of it but still remained a threat. Hi the post and then 2nd half got on the end of the chance to show his knack for anticipating things.

McBurnie 7/10 – Improved from recent performances. Kept it better and more of a nuisance. He linked well and held the ball up. Scored a lovely header before coming off soon after McAtee scored.

Ndiaye 9/10 – Did not score but he was sensational once again. Almost unplayable. The dribbles, control and jinks out of several bigger and more physical players. I just stood back mouth open and watched him thinking he is just ridiculous. They did not know what to do with him. A joy to watch. Dearly hope it not his last game for United. The best footballer I’ve ever seen for SUFC. Destined for the top.

Subs

Berge 7/10 – Got on the ball and helped us move it quicker up the field. Could and should have scored with a chance but some great runs down the right and lovely bits of keep ball. Brum struggled to get it off him and Ndiaye.

Osula 7.5/10 – Weird one to assess as he looked an absolute beast after he came on. Strong, quick and powerful. He ran down so many loose balls and got in. He had 3 or 4 chances but pulled two wide, shot over and had another blocked. Looks raw but his attributes are many. Just needs to get his legs fling what his brain wants and show some composure! Should have scored a couple really but to be fair he got himself into the positions. Watching an experienced defender like Dean bounce off him was wye opening. You can see the excitement that the coaches have with him and Jebbo. Physical, quick and athletic. Just need time you think. Expect him to go on loan to a Champ team next year.

Sharp 7/10 – Worked hard and won a few free kicks. Also chased down the flanks. A few moments where maybe Osula could have squared and then a late chance from a Berge cross. Everyone desperate to score but did not quite happen.

Buyabu – Did OK and intercepted a few balls. Tall lad who looks quick and like Osula, Brooks and Jebbison, another good athlete with pace. Nice to see the players pushing him forward to the fans on FT to take the cheers.

Norwood – Mixed again. Few nice balls and an audacious effort from 45 yards where he saw Etheridge off his line. Another whipped wide. Some odd balls punted out too.

Hecky 8/10 – Rotated things but got us to put the much better 2nd half performance in and we did not mail it in today after the game on Thursday. Gave the fans something to shout about. Got some young lads in but also made positive subs with forwards on!

Birmingham – Really poor. They started ok and had a few half chances but faded badly. Could have been behind at the break but then fell apart 2nd half amd could not cope with our pace and running. It went to 0-2 & could have been much more. They got an undeserved goal but would have been ridiculous of they had got anything. Looked what they were- a side nearer the bottom than the top. In the end the Blades just looked a far better side.

Players – Khadra was rubbish. Miscontrolled and looked clueless when his only asset, pace, got him into some decent areas. Got subbed and threw his toys out of the pram again as he kicked his boots off! Not sure he is ever going to make it any higher than lower Champ or Bundesliga stragglers. Bacuna was decent I thought but the defence struggled with our quick and tricky players. A note on the lad Graham’s throw, 2nd half when he fell onto the pitch. Summed up how abject they were!

Ref – Tried to get too involved so pleased when he got the ball on the knackers on half time. Blew up straight away in pain! Huge cheers from the whole ground.

Fans/Day out – Went with the lad and had a few hours in Brum pre game. Meandered down to the canals and after a pizza, ended up in a small independent cinema called the Mocking Bird in the Custard Factory at Digbeth. Had a few beers here and despite the guy at the bar desperately trying to get me into the Lord of the Rings Trilogy (people were actually doing this and having food before the Two Towers started- they needed breaks as suppose it would be 10 hours + wouldn’t it?).

Walked up to St Andrews. Dreadful area and the ground is in a real state of disrepair. Like a smaller Hillsborough. They have half the ground (lower tier round two sides) shut off due to safety issues (asbestos apparently too!). Weird as this in the newer stands too? So it is a vastly reduced capacity. United fans packed in the away end and were in good voice. A fair few in fancy dress too. Lots of songs throughout and the goals were celebrated wildly.

The full time whistle came and the players came to the corner to salute the fans. Hecky did his usual celebration before they went down a tunnel in the corner (only ground I know with three entrances for players!). A fair few Birmingham fans stayed in to wait for their lap of honour – seemed odd for a 17th place finish but suppose after lots of financial turmoil just to stay up was an achievement.

After the game we saw the worst kind of Football policing. I saw no trouble or even threat of it. Blades fans were all in good spirits and no real threat of anything between the two sets of fans at all.

We left the ground and it were shepherded through a tiny space in the car park in the away end where all the buses were stupidly squashed in meaning no space to walk through. Hundreds of riot police then ran along down the road, almost trying to make out something was happening. We saw rabid police dogs and a few of these were out of control with their handlers struggling. The Police then tried to keep loads of United fans back at different points on the way back to the city centre. One over officious officer shouted, ‘Your last chance. Get back!’ it sounded like a Phoenix Nights scene. It was ridiculous. Why they were stopping sections of fans who all were just heading back for trains, I’ve no idea?

As someone said, they were on double time so maybe they were all wanting some extra cash. Hundreds of them trying to almost stoke things up. Did not see one Blades fan trying to start anything! The riot police, the dogs fighting each other, sirens blaring out made it seem like all sorts was kicking off. It wasn’t. Like the way me and the lad calmly walked past them and they were fine. Maybe I did not look chavvy enough!

Great for my lad to see a win. He does not go away much due to loyalty points etc but since a win at Chesterfield under Adkins in 2016, he’s done double figure away games and never seen an away win. Today he broke his duck! We had a great Dad and lad day. Singing and celebrating together. Loved being with him at full time and seeing his happy face as the players came over. Another great day to cap a fantastic season!
See you next season for the match reports but as I say my bumper season review to come in parts, starting at the weekend.

Excellent reports throughout again,always a good read,it must be hard work sometimes when we are,should I say’crap’ to be positive. Anyway,detention after school tonight for spelling mistakes.

Cheers Deadbat , enjoy your take , although if there not playing 70’s Brazil you can be slightly over critical at times
Nice touch in last paragraph about you and your lad
Mines a Jonah ( stopped bringing him over ) , had him over for Premier, championship and league 1 , along with semifinals & playoffs think we’ve won twice
Looking forward like last year to your season’s review
What did you think of young Bellingham?
Believe he’s available for offers around half mill mark

Thanks for the report and all of the reports and pods you’ve done this season!

Thanks for your reports all season, I really enjoy reading them.

I was doing something else this afternoon, so completely missed the game (dead rubber anyway), so your report and the 2 minutes Sky highlights are my only source of information today. Glad you and your son enjoyed it.

Have a good summer off, and I look forward to reading your reports next season. Hopefully there will be a few 9.5 scores next season, but I suspect these might be a lot rarer.........

UTB

I echo all the thanks DB. Your reports are a must read after every game.
Legendary status along with Roy and dare I say it Pommpey The Magnificent.

Thank you very much for the match reports Deaders. I live in the States and have to watch from afar but always take the time to read your comments and ratings as they're usually spookily close to mine.

Enjoy the close season mate 👍

Cheers for these, I must admit I often skip to the ratings but good work 👍🏼

The best footballer I’ve ever seen for SUFC - TC?
It sounds like heresy, but I think Ndiaye is the very best player I have seen play for us and I’ve been a supporter since 1965. It is not just his incredible skill, but also his awareness and prodigious work rate.

Reactions: Dkc
Thought the ref handled the Osula situation very well.

Should never lay your hands on a ref in that manner and Will was right to apologise at the end. The ref called Billy over and had a word. Another ref might have been card happy.

Only trouble I saw was various items, including cones and barriers, being thrown back and forth over the fence outside the away end.

Many thanks for all the reports this season. Glad you had a nice day out with your lad too (despite the police trying their best to spoil it!).

Thanks for your reports this season Deadbat , they are invaluable to us exiles.

On your experience on leaving the ground: I'd recommend getting in touch with the Football Supporters Federation. The only way we'll change the way football is policed is, unfortunately, by getting over-the-top treatment called out and punished. The FSF does a decent job of that, aided on the legal side (at least in the past) by a former member of this site too.

Ratings-

Davies 6.5/10 – Not much to do. Stuck on his line on the one that came across when Jut- his name hit the bar. Outside of this saved a Bellingham shot and had little chance on the goal. Kicked two out under little pressure. Can’t use his right foot at all!

Baldock 7/10 – Very good first half and made done good interceptions and also got forward well when he could. Usual committed and whole hearted till he picked up a knock stretching for the ball.

Stevens 6/10 – Had a few shots, one blocked and another looped wide. Does not have the burst he used to have when he gets well forward and often goes back. He did OK defensively but just mot the player he was. Doubt we will see him again for us but what a servant he has been and glad he went out starting and winning.

Basham 6.5/10 – Some old school Bash runs and really was advanced today. His cross for the goal was a beauty. He did get beat a few times and looked a bit slow on the turn again – same as Huddersfield. Still finished with a committed performance and got a great ovation at the end from the Blades.

Egan 7/10 – Solid performance where he defended well and did what he had to. Not really pressured even though they went long to Juts his name and then Deeney.

Robinson 7/10 – As above, he competed and won tackles. His ball set up the second goal. He has embodied a lot of what’s been good about us to close the season.

Fleck 5.5/10 – He gave it away a fair bit to start but thought he got better and had some ok moments. He got ran past defensively too much though and looked slow. He did have a better 2nd half. Another who got his name sang as he too may depart in the summer. Superb contribution to SUFC the last 7 seasons. Blades legend.

Doyle 8/10 – All action where he used the ball, got about the pitch and showed his energy. Looked a class act. Set plays a bit mixed again though. Hit the post with a decent effort. Even when he went to right back, he did a job for the team. The Blades fans sang throughout the game and at the end, ‘Tommy Doyle, we want you to stay!’

McAtee 6.5/10 – Flitted in and out to begin and lost it or got hustled out of it but still remained a threat. Hi the post and then 2nd half got on the end of the chance to show his knack for anticipating things.

McBurnie 7/10 – Improved from recent performances. Kept it better and more of a nuisance. He linked well and held the ball up. Scored a lovely header before coming off soon after McAtee scored.

Ndiaye 9/10 – Did not score but he was sensational once again. Almost unplayable. The dribbles, control and jinks out of several bigger and more physical players. I just stood back mouth open and watched him thinking he is just ridiculous. They did not know what to do with him. A joy to watch. Dearly hope it not his last game for United. The best footballer I’ve ever seen for SUFC. Destined for the top.

Subs

Berge 7/10 – Got on the ball and helped us move it quicker up the field. Could and should have scored with a chance but some great runs down the right and lovely bits of keep ball. Brum struggled to get it off him and Ndiaye.

Osula 7.5/10 – Weird one to assess as he looked an absolute beast after he came on. Strong, quick and powerful. He ran down so many loose balls and got in. He had 3 or 4 chances but pulled two wide, shot over and had another blocked. Looks raw but his attributes are many. Just needs to get his legs fling what his brain wants and show some composure! Should have scored a couple really but to be fair he got himself into the positions. Watching an experienced defender like Dean bounce off him was wye opening. You can see the excitement that the coaches have with him and Jebbo. Physical, quick and athletic. Just need time you think. Expect him to go on loan to a Champ team next year.

Sharp 7/10 – Worked hard and won a few free kicks. Also chased down the flanks. A few moments where maybe Osula could have squared and then a late chance from a Berge cross. Everyone desperate to score but did not quite happen.

Buyabu – Did OK and intercepted a few balls. Tall lad who looks quick and like Osula, Brooks and Jebbison, another good athlete with pace. Nice to see the players pushing him forward to the fans on FT to take the cheers.

Norwood – Mixed again. Few nice balls and an audacious effort from 45 yards where he saw Etheridge off his line. Another whipped wide. Some odd balls punted out too.

Hecky 8/10 – Rotated things but got us to put the much better 2nd half performance in and we did not mail it in today after the game on Thursday. Gave the fans something to shout about. Got some young lads in but also made positive subs with forwards on!

Birmingham – Really poor. They started ok and had a few half chances but faded badly. Could have been behind at the break but then fell apart 2nd half amd could not cope with our pace and running. It went to 0-2 & could have been much more. They got an undeserved goal but would have been ridiculous of they had got anything. Looked what they were- a side nearer the bottom than the top. In the end the Blades just looked a far better side.

Players – Khadra was rubbish. Miscontrolled and looked clueless when his only asset, pace, got him into some decent areas. Got subbed and threw his toys out of the pram again as he kicked his boots off! Not sure he is ever going to make it any higher than lower Champ or Bundesliga stragglers. Bacuna was decent I thought but the defence struggled with our quick and tricky players. A note on the lad Graham’s throw, 2nd half when he fell onto the pitch. Summed up how abject they were!

Ref – Tried to get too involved so pleased when he got the ball on the knackers on half time. Blew up straight away in pain! Huge cheers from the whole ground.

Fans/Day out – Went with the lad and had a few hours in Brum pre game. Meandered down to the canals and after a pizza, ended up in a small independent cinema called the Mocking Bird in the Custard Factory at Digbeth. Had a few beers here and despite the guy at the bar desperately trying to get me into the Lord of the Rings Trilogy (people were actually doing this and having food before the Two Towers started- they needed breaks as suppose it would be 10 hours + wouldn’t it?).

Walked up to St Andrews. Dreadful area and the ground is in a real state of disrepair. Like a smaller Hillsborough. They have half the ground (lower tier round two sides) shut off due to safety issues (asbestos apparently too!). Weird as this in the newer stands too? So it is a vastly reduced capacity. United fans packed in the away end and were in good voice. A fair few in fancy dress too. Lots of songs throughout and the goals were celebrated wildly.

The full time whistle came and the players came to the corner to salute the fans. Hecky did his usual celebration before they went down a tunnel in the corner (only ground I know with three entrances for players!). A fair few Birmingham fans stayed in to wait for their lap of honour – seemed odd for a 17th place finish but suppose after lots of financial turmoil just to stay up was an achievement.

After the game we saw the worst kind of Football policing. I saw no trouble or even threat of it. Blades fans were all in good spirits and no real threat of anything between the two sets of fans at all.

We left the ground and it were shepherded through a tiny space in the car park in the away end where all the buses were stupidly squashed in meaning no space to walk through. Hundreds of riot police then ran along down the road, almost trying to make out something was happening. We saw rabid police dogs and a few of these were out of control with their handlers struggling. The Police then tried to keep loads of United fans back at different points on the way back to the city centre. One over officious officer shouted, ‘Your last chance. Get back!’ it sounded like a Phoenix Nights scene. It was ridiculous. Why they were stopping sections of fans who all were just heading back for trains, I’ve no idea?

As someone said, they were on double time so maybe they were all wanting some extra cash. Hundreds of them trying to almost stoke things up. Did not see one Blades fan trying to start anything! The riot police, the dogs fighting each other, sirens blaring out made it seem like all sorts was kicking off. It wasn’t. Like the way me and the lad calmly walked past them and they were fine. Maybe I did not look chavvy enough!

Great for my lad to see a win. He does not go away much due to loyalty points etc but since a win at Chesterfield under Adkins in 2016, he’s done double figure away games and never seen an away win. Today he broke his duck! We had a great Dad and lad day. Singing and celebrating together. Loved being with him at full time and seeing his happy face as the players came over. Another great day to cap a fantastic season!
See you next season for the match reports but as I say my bumper season review to come in parts, starting at the weekend.
Hope you enjoyed the 9.56 train down 😉

It sounds like heresy, but I think Ndiaye is the very best player I have seen play for us and I’ve been a supporter since 1965. It is not just his incredible skill, but also his awareness and prodigious work rate.
TC is still, for me, the best player for us since I started going regular in 1970 but if Ndiaye is still with us and has a good season next season then he may overtake TC in my list. Best judge who is the best player if he has at least one good season in the top level.

Good stuff Deaders. Thanks for the write ups this season.

Have a good summer

pommpey

Thanks Deadbat for your meticulous coverage of what turned out to be a fantastic season for us. Your experience of the police tactics at the end of the Birmingham game doesn't surprise me. They're systemically corrupt - have been for decades - and will lay into any section of society that doesn't fit their institutional bias: women; black people; LBGT; political protesters; and football supporters. As Black Lives Matter have argued, we need to defund the police and replace it with a totally different law enforcement agency, one based on democratic and socially just values.

Thank you for another season of thoughtful and balanced match reports DB, and I look forward to your end of season tomes!

👍

Reactions: Dkc

Back
Top Bottom