Billy Sharp retires

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?




Just confirmed on Sky sports pre game coverage where they showed some highlights from his career and various blades and pros paying tribute to him. He got a little emotional seeing it.

Absolute legend. It took a while to come right with us but eventually it did and how!
It was starting to come right in his second spell, hat trick on opening day vs QPR.. then a month later Blackwell fucked him off to Donny.

We ended that season with Craig Beattie leading the line.
 
Absolute all-time Blades legend. At his peak a brilliant striker, scored goals for fun. Shame he never made it to 300 but still one of the best players outside the premier league in the last 30 years. Now gets to enjoy the fruits of a well-paid career. Could we put him on a pay-as-you-play contract and bring him on if we get a late pen in a game we've already won? 😂
 



Bonafide legend of the EFL. Probably the best striker I’ve seen for United, wasn’t blessed with height, but you knew if he received the ball inside the box, it were almost always a goal. Bagsman.
Bamfords second yesterday actually reminded me of Billy in how he finds the space by not doing much. Such a underrated skill.
 
None at 40 years old though.
It was still what he was looking for!


Anyway here's the full clip including the tributes played to him

 
Baffled how he hasn't picked up a club, would still back him to bag 10-20 at L2 level.

Probably still fitter than half the strikers down there too
 
He was hoping to get 300 goals and was willing to wait to see if any club wanted him. None coming so he called it a day
Chesterfield made him an offer I heard. Also isn't he supposed to have signed up for the Baller 7 a side league?
 
Absolute legend of the game and will never be forgotten but…Does anyone else find it strange that he didn’t announce his retirement yesterday at the Lane? Surely it would have made sense to have done it at Bramall Lane for many reasons I won’t go into than at Southampton where he had one season or thereabouts where he is pretty much forgotten about?
 
I don’t think I can add too much to platitudes

He was always a good, solid hard working professional who deservedly enjoyed a long and very successful career.

I always had a real sense of he was someone who during his career appreciated what he did have and got the maximum out of it, you always had a sense that if he wasn’t on the pitch he would be in the stands with the rest of us as a fan.

I’ve got nothing but good memories of his time on the pitch, opposition supporters used to hate him. “He always scored against us” to the standard response “he does it to everyone” but the nicest two memories I’ve got are the days he used to run Billy Sharps Soccer Schools in the School Holidays. My lad went there religiously to the point where he complained about going on a holiday cos he would miss Billy Sharps and up there Billy would have all the time in the world for the kids who’d absolutely buzz about the guy who they saw scoring for his team showing a lot of interest in them chasing their own dreams. The other one was at the back end of the dreadful 23/24 when he went to Goodison Park with his own kids as a supporters on the away end and was wearing a proper retro 92/93 home shirt. It was nice seeing them as a Dad taking his lads to the match

The greatest tribute I can pay him is that my Grandad had Jimmy Hagan, my Uncles had Tony Currie, I had Brian Deane and my lad had Billy Sharp
 
He lived the dream and it's great that he got to do it so perfectly with us

He's a thoroughly impressive individual and professional, and a great role model

I hope he's back at United in some capacity ASAP. I expect him to be successful in whatever he does next

Shame he couldn't carry on for another season to reach the next goalscoring milestone though
 



All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Back
Top Bottom