Best United Squad - No.1 - Poll

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Best No.1 since 1999

• Aidan Davison (1999-2000)

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Simon Tracey (2000-03)

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Paddy Kenny (2003-10)

Votes: 62 75.6%
  • Steve Simonsen (2010-12)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mark Howard (2012- )

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Darren

Reaction score
To lighten the gloom, I thought I would start a poll on a day by day basis to assemble the best United squad since 1999 (when continuous squad numbers started). I will do a poll on each day for each number and then we can see who our Galacticos have been over the last 15ish years.

We will start today with number 1, poll will close at 9am tomorrow when we will go on to no.2

Cast your votes....

To lighten the gloom, I thought I would start a poll on a day by day basis to assemble the best United squad since 1999 (when continuous squad numbers started). I will do a poll on each day for each number and then we can see who our Galacticos have been over the last 15ish years.

We will start today with number 1, poll will close at 9am tomorrow when we will go on to no.2

Cast your votes....

What about George Long?

What about George Long?

Doesn`t play as No. 1 does he??

Eagerly looking forward to tommorrow when we ahve a poll for the best No. 2, for which I'd like to register an early vote for brownie and the monster that kicked off the Poo Thread on Unitedite...

PS: my rule (and it's my competition) is that you only count the period when they occupied the shirt in question. Thus Tracey's form from 1988-2000 does not count.

So there.

The highest number we have had is 45. But there can only be one winner on that - emergency reserve keeper Blackwell in 2001-02.

So by default Kevin Blackwell is in our best ever United squad (as defined by squad number)!

So by default Kevin Blackwell is in our best ever United squad (as defined by squad number)!

Yes :)

I will probably only go up to 39 as I think everyone above those numbers has only had one or two occupants. For example, 40 has only had Jags (on his one sub appearance in the last game of the 99-00 season) or never playing third choice goalie Jamie Annerson. As I confidently expect Jags to get the no. 6 shirt, that would leave Annerson as the default no 40 winner*

* which reminds me - another rule is that if a player wins a number, then wins another number, his place on the second number goes to the runner up - we can't have Jags at no's 6 and 17....

To lighten the gloom, I thought I would start a poll...

What gloom? I was feeling positively chipper until I opened this thread to be confronted with ANOTHER poll about past glories...

I will do a poll on each day for each number and then we can see who our Galacticos have been over the last 15

Will each poll come with a free 'to scale' piece of the South Stand so, by the final one, we'll have enough to be able to build our own replica of this magnificent structure?

Yes :)

I will probably only go up to 39 as I think everyone above those numbers has only had one or two occupants. For example, 40 has only had Jags (on his one sub appearance in the last game of the 99-00 season) or never playing third choice goalie Jamie Annerson. As I confidently expect Jags to get the no. 6 shirt, that would leave Annerson as the default no 40 winner*

* which reminds me - another rule is that if a player wins a number, then wins another number, his place on the second number goes to the runner up - we can't have Jags at no's 6 and 17....

So presumably in the above scenario the player who finiwshed second in teh 17th poll would win?

But it may be that the overall squad would be stringer if we had the second places 6th place player, and Jags as 17??

Would it not be better to then have a playoff between 6:2 and 17:2???

So presumably in the above scenario the player who finiwshed second in teh 17th poll would win?

But it may be that the overall squad would be stringer if we had the second places 6th place player, and Jags as 17??

Would it not be better to then have a playoff between 6:2 and 17:2???

No. My game. My rules.

:)

No. My game. My rules.

:)

I propose that in the event of a player warranting two numbers, the position where he made most appearances should automatically take precedence.

As an afterthought, have any United players played in three or more squad numbers?

I propose that in the event of a player warranting two numbers, the position where he made most appearances should automatically take precedence.

As an afterthought, have any United players played in three or more squad numbers?

Yep, Jags had

40 (2000)
21 (2000-01)
17 (2001-04)
6 (2004-07)

Monty had

36 (2000-01)
22 (2001-02
12 (2002-03)
4 (2003-05)
17 (2005-09)
4 again (2009-12)

There are many who have had 3 of more numbers. Of the current squad, Maguire has had 40*, 19 and 5.

* Whoopee - competition for the 40 shirt with Annerson (if he hasn't got the 5 or 19...)

Kenny by a mile. Tracey from 1988-92, would be a different ball game though.

I am also going to do a "nightmare squad" based on who gets least votes for each number. Where votes are equal, the worst player will be decided on who played most. Sorry Steve....

I can't stand Paddy Kenny, given the era of Tracey we're considering he is the best of the bunch, which is a sad indictment of our 'Keepers post the 90s glory days. He must be my most hated ex Blade.

Cast your votes....

The guy that was in Preston's dug out on Saturday was head and shoulders above all listed above - Alan Kelly

I thought the premiership years was the start of squad numbers so 1992.

I remember because John Pemberton was listed in Green 'un as "0". It was a misprint and he had "20"

Squad numbers started in the 2nd PL season - 93-94. They didn't start in the FL until 99-00. Hence we had one season of squad numbers in 93-94 and then didn't have them until 99-00

I thought the premiership years was the start of squad numbers so 1992.

I remember because John Pemberton was listed in Green 'un as "0". It was a misprint and he had "20"

Yes but after we were relegated, we went back to 1-11 until 1999 when squad numbers were introduced to the lower leagues.

Or what Darren said! Gah.

Squad numbers started in the 2nd PL season - 93-94. They didn't start in the FL until 99-00. Hence we had one season of squad numbers in 93-94 and then didn't have them until 99-00
Yes but after we were relegated, we went back to 1-11 until 1999 when squad numbers were introduced to the lower leagues.

Or what Darren said! Gah.

Aaah!! Get ya!

Still, no Alan Kelly.

Back
Top Bottom