Best Stand: Or rather, is John St any good

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The kop is the best stand bar none. I was brought up on it. I couldn't see fuck all until I was 14 but it was the place to be, turning around and saying I bet that was Edwards dad was the bomb. I now take my 8 year old daughter on the kop, she's the same, loves it but misses the goals due to everyone standing up and getting excited, she doesn't complain as she say's I'll watch it on you tube when I get in but she still cheers and jumps up and down bless her. She's got that certain something like all passionate young Blades have, doesn't matter where you sit or what your view is, when the ball hits the net you go nuts whether you saw it or not.

PS wish you tube was available when I was 8 :mad:

I've sat on the South since I was about 9 or 10, and I really don't think it's a bad stand for a child. I might chuck in the odd fuck and bugger on here but in real life I'm a polite young man. If you sit at the Kop end middle and back it's not too sweary, the most you normally hear is "Open your bloody eyes linesman" but let's be honest, you'll hear far worse than that on the 120.

The added bonuses are views, and some semblance of an atmosphere.

That said I don't do anything at half time and if I get a drink I get it before the match, which I've never had trouble doing. Toilets may be an issue though if you have a young un, can be quite busy.

I love the kop. It's old, a bit shabby and sweary, moans and grumbles, smells a bit in certain places, but it enjoys life in the raw, at least 23 times a year. When it's on song it can't be beaten! It's quite like me!

Great for kids, absolutely diabolical if you have any interest at all in supporting the team. You’ll be hounded out.

Its an international bar membership, its to keep the numbers low.

Do kids get in on your 20 quid membership? Like to think a 5yr old and a 4yr old who now looks like getting a half season ticket with us don't have to pay. 60 quid would be a bit steep due to two kids lol

Thanks for all the replies folks. Good thread in it's own right now this! I expected the negatives (atmosphere and not being able to swear or act overtly passionate) but the positives work for the young un and if I can see the field of play and watch the game and take in some kop noise, all good. It's row E so I'll expect the odd flutter of rain and buy some sunglasses, but I force that kid onto the top of lakeland fells in all sorts of shit weather so can't see him being bothered. :)

One thing I've not seen mentioned is I find the John St stand generally feels 10 degrees warmer than SS on cold days due to prevailing winds blowing into SS.
That's even without the blankets!
;)

One thing I've not seen mentioned is I find the John St stand generally feels 10 degrees warmer than SS on cold days due to prevailing winds blowing into SS.
That's even without the blankets!
;)

Good! I'm not getting any younger but I've got a lovely fleece I can bring as well as the trench coat and sun glasses ;-)

JS stand
Hot water in the toilets
Chips in the concourse
bit quiet watching the match
sun in eyes at certain times of year
Coast to Coast ale at the craft bar
struggled to get 3 seats together for our STs, only mid row
you can migrate to the Pukka pie as it's the same concourse
kids banging on the seats

South stand for me, having spent over a decade on both the Kop and John Street.

The Kop is outdated, and my old legs don`t like standing up and down all game.

John Street is great, but have to mind the P&Q`s, screaming `get your flag up you cunt` at the Lino doesn`t go down well :)
Plus the sun gets in your eyes.

South stand is perfect, scream abuse, row with fellow fans, half time pint, sky tv, no sun, best seat in the house, back row, halfway line.

If my legs carry me up those steps, I hope to be there for years to come, til they stretcher me out on my 100th birthday.

JS stand
Hot water in the toilets
Chips in the concourse
bit quiet watching the match
sun in eyes at certain times of year
Coast to Coast ale at the craft bar
struggled to get 3 seats together for our STs, only mid row
you can migrate to the Pukka pie as it's the same concourse
kids banging on the seats

Craft Bar? Christ, more boozers in this stand than on London road! Can't wait! I got 3 seats in the block nearest kop. Only bank of 3 so not too fussed if they are not near a gangway or owt. That block always shows fully sold out the second tickets get released, and yes, a wonder onto the Pukka Pie stand if it's quiet might be a laugh now and then. Did not know it was connected so to speak...

Westfield Upper is where it's at.

Once Ricky gets his crew together the atmosphere will pick up no end.

Steep rake

Great view

Leg room O.K

Access not bad, sometimes takes a while to get out but no worse than the kop

TV's

Friendly Stewards

Tyson Fury look a like programme seller to rival "£3 your match programme man"

And you don't have to look at away supporters celebrating

No atmosphere at all, is the only negative I can see.
Tell me about it. I'm usually on the Kop, but for the game v Wendy, I was on John St.
I would've thought at least for a derby the atmosphere would be buzzing, but no. In our immediate vacinity, there was only me and the Blade next to me who were singing most of the time.

I've sat on row W of family stand, level with penalty spot at kop end, since 1999. As everyone else has said, good view, good leg room, lots of space downstairs at half time.

Yes not a lot of singing goes on there but you still get the atmosphere from the kop. Having said that my 5 year old lad sings his heart out on his own for 90 minutes every game which keeps everyone around us entertained...I'd hope...

My mood on matchdays changes depending on who I'm with.

I used to have a season ticket at the back of the kop with a few mates. Shit view, a bastard pillar obscuring a fifth of the pitch, but all you wanted to do was make noise.

I take either the other half or a younger relative these days, and I usually fancy the BLUT or family stand. Both have brilliant views, although I prefer the upper in that respect.

If I could have a season ticket it'd probably be on the kop.

Anybody want a good view and a good atmosphere?

The BLUT could be the only place in the ground to have that. Just need to get a group up there to improve the atmosphere. Anybody who'd see the appeal in that should play their part in getting it started.

Regards,

BLUT Blade

Thanks for all the replies folks. Good thread in it's own right now this! I expected the negatives (atmosphere and not being able to swear or act overtly passionate) but the positives work for the young un and if I can see the field of play and watch the game and take in some kop noise, all good. It's row E so I'll expect the odd flutter of rain and buy some sunglasses, but I force that kid onto the top of lakeland fells in all sorts of shit weather so can't see him being bothered. :)

I’m on row F will give you a pat on the shoulder. Every minute:)

I think just be wary of taking very young kids on either the ends of the SS or the kop. There is sometimes a bit of abuse and couple of idiots on the John street stand too towards the away fans. I think John street is great for families and I loved the view and getting autographs there as a 10-14 year old during the warnock reign. Atmosphere is poor though but to be honest it's not exactly blaring out where i sit on the SS with the exception of the odd derby or big game.

It’s a no brainer for me. We moved from the kop 2 seasons ago, my son now gets to see all the goals at the kop end, none of that standing up nonsense. Half time is a much more civilised experience with sky sports news, etc. True, a bit flatter in terms of atmosphere but we sit at the kop end and it does filter out towards us. Tons more leg space too for anyone over 5’4”. Move pal, you’ll wonder why you never did it sooner.

Soon everyone will have escaped the 'lower class' folks in the kop and be huddled around seats closest to it to enjoy that scummy atmosphere.
Only problem is we'll run out of people actually creating the noise.

It’s a no brainer for me. We moved from the kop 2 seasons ago, my son now gets to see all the goals at the kop end, none of that standing up nonsense. Half time is a much more civilised experience with sky sports news, etc. True, a bit flatter in terms of atmosphere but we sit at the kop end and it does filter out towards us. Tons more leg space too for anyone over 5’4”. Move pal, you’ll wonder why you never did it sooner.

Very good! But you didn’t say where you’d moved to!:rolleyes:

Nice one. Thanks. The deed is now done. Just hope the place is ready for my 4 year old hyperactive daughter as well as the boy!

Ive sat (stood) in most areas of the ground at some point over the last 60 years. Support is organic, you change as you progress through life. Used to be on the Kop in the thick of it in the 60-70's, moved to BramallLane stand with first season ticket, moved to john street with shareholder silver disk, moved to south stand when family section was there, moved back to john street when they moved family section.
John street is great with young kids (that said mine are both in their 30's now, they let you keep seat after they become adults). We've got great seats accross the halfway line in a blocked isle so no seats in front of us :)

Nice one. Thanks. The deed is now done. Just hope the place is ready for my 4 year old hyperactive daughter as well as the boy!
They'll be fine with me as long as they don't bang the seats up and down, in which case they'll get a clip round the lughole.

Back
Top Bottom