Being Instantly proved wrong at a game

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

programmechap

Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2022
Messages
701
Reaction score
1,465
Just saw a clip of Mike Lakes wonder goal at Southampton in Jan 92 and recalling that I was behind the goal we were attacking and, as he shaped up to shoot, I thought "he'll never score from there" and shouted out "don't waste it!!"

Two seconds later I was instantly proved wrong. Similarly in the 1984 last minute win at Rotherham, as the ball was played to Bob Atkins on the edge of the box with his back to goal my dad said "don't give to him, hes hopeless".

In one glorious movement, Bob then turned and placed the ball unerringly in the top corner.

Anyone else been proved wrong like that?
 



Just saw a clip of Mike Lakes wonder goal at Southampton in Jan 92 and recalling that I was behind the goal we were attacking and, as he shaped up to shoot, I thought "he'll never score from there" and shouted out "don't waste it!!"

Two seconds later I was instantly proved wrong. Similarly in the 1984 last minute win at Rotherham, as the ball was played to Bob Atkins on the edge of the box with his back to goal my dad said "don't give to him, hes hopeless".

In one glorious movement, Bob then turned and placed the ball unerringly in the top corner.

Anyone else been proved wrong like that?
Yep, said it on here before, but just as Jags lined up to his screamer vs Boro I yelled "don't shoot"...
 
I think it was on the Premier League against Brentford, I groaned at McAtee's miss-hit cross before it sailed into the top corner.
 
Bobby Ford's mishit cross at the Kop End going into the net. Dont remember the opponents.

Fjortoft's chip at the Lane End against Pompey for the first goal. Thought it was going well over the bar!

I never thought it was possible for any player to score direct from a corner until I saw Woody do it at Leicester in September 1971.
 
I "ahhhhhhh"-ed at Cristian Eriksen's freekick against us for Spurs. Thought he'd hit it miles over as soon as he hit it.



I also shouted "noooo" very loudly at Freeman completely botching a simple cross for a tap-in at Oxford, to the extent that multiple people immediately turned to laugh at me after:

 
Just saw a clip of Mike Lakes wonder goal at Southampton in Jan 92 and recalling that I was behind the goal we were attacking and, as he shaped up to shoot, I thought "he'll never score from there" and shouted out "don't waste it!!"

Two seconds later I was instantly proved wrong. Similarly in the 1984 last minute win at Rotherham, as the ball was played to Bob Atkins on the edge of the box with his back to goal my dad said "don't give to him, hes hopeless".

In one glorious movement, Bob then turned and placed the ball unerringly in the top corner.

Anyone else been proved wrong like that?
Just to prove it wasn’t a fluke, didn’t the score twice against Saints, both from distance?

Real shame about him. Bad injury at the wrong time.
 
Last edited:
I always at to myself “we never score from corners” and we never do…

JOC accepted
 
From an opposition POV i’ve got loads wrong.

Twice i’ve jumped up to ridicule when Eriksen and Lampard were taking free kicks, thought it’s too far out or no chance. Didn’t even realise they’d scored as it seemed impossible. Looked like a gimp both times.

For us:

Kabba once scored a great goal against Ipswich. Hit it first time on the half-volley (I think). I thought at the time, take a touch you twat, you’re no where near as good as you think you are. Rifled into the bottom corner.

Didn’t realise McGoldrick was a silky as he was, same as Paul Coutts. Just thought they were journeymen, pay cheque players. Nice to be proved wrong, both were a pleasure to watch.

Owen Morrison, another, looked a fucking player when Warnock subbed him on vs. Derby and Brighton. Alas, no.

Probably many more, but these were the ones I remember.
 
Bobby Ford's mishit cross at the Kop End going into the net. Dont remember the opponents.

Fjortoft's chip at the Lane End against Pompey for the first goal. Thought it was going well over the bar!

I never thought it was possible for any player to score direct from a corner until I saw Woody do it at Leicester in September 1971.
Was Ford's in the 3-1 win v Tranmere on 5/2/2000.

His other non penalty goals at the Lane were v Oxford on.7/2/98 and v Grimsby in The League Cup on 15/9/98
 
Making my way out of a game slowly in the dieing minutes of a game we got a corner at the John Street/KOP side. I think this was in 2005 at the Lane, cannot remember who we were playing.

Michael Tonge was running up to take it, and at this time he had this thing for taking short corners that never worked out. I was a couple of metres away from him thinking "Here we go again with this short corner bollocks" so I shouted "TONGEY! TONGEY! GET IT IN THE BOX" He looked at me when I said Tongey the second time and acknowledged me with a look that was kind of fed up but was like a Oh alright then kind of face. He then looks like he's going to do another short corner, but then whips a good ball into the box and we nearly score. I turn to my mate in amazement that he did that. I remember thinking on the way out if he had whipped balls in the box all match like that we might have got something from that game.
 
Jus too prove it wasn’t a fluke, didn’t the score twice against Saints, both from distance?

Real shame about him. Bad injury at the wrong time.
His second took a massive deflection to wrong foot the goalie, it would have been saved easily otherwise.

He did however score similar goals v Forest 3 weeks later and Man City 4 weeks later.

It was strange in that he had a month when he was on fire. The rest of his 4 year career at the Lane was mediocrity at best.
 



I remember sat in the front room in Singapore watching United play Forest in the cup. My wife is a bit of a lucky omen when we watch together. Anyway Chris Porter came on as sub.
My first comment was “my Dad will be pleased, he thinks he’s rubbish”. My wife said “give him a chance, he might score!”

Not long after he’d bagged two and we’d won 3-1!

So yes, absolutely nailed that one!
 
Making my way out of a game slowly in the dieing minutes of a game we got a corner at the John Street/KOP side. I think this was in 2005 at the Lane, cannot remember who we were playing.

Michael Tonge was running up to take it, and at this time he had this thing for taking short corners that never worked out. I was a couple of metres away from him thinking "Here we go again with this short corner bollocks" so I shouted "TONGEY! TONGEY! GET IT IN THE BOX" He looked at me when I said Tongey the second time and acknowledged me with a look that was kind of fed up but was like a Oh alright then kind of face. He then looks like he's going to do another short corner, but then whips a good ball into the box and we nearly score. I turn to my mate in amazement that he did that. I remember thinking on the way out if he had whipped balls in the box all match like that we might have got something from that game.
So he put it in the box and we still didn’t score!

That story didn’t have the pay off I was hoping for! 🤣
 
I "ahhhhhhh"-ed at Cristian Eriksen's freekick against us for Spurs. Thought he'd hit it miles over as soon as he hit it.

I did the same for Chris Waddle's freekick at Wembley in 1993. I was sat side-on from it, and it looked miles wide from where I was. I stood up and went "Aaaaaahhhhhhh" with my arms stretched out sideways. Sat down pretty quickly :(
 
I "ahhhhhhh"-ed at Cristian Eriksen's freekick against us for Spurs. Thought he'd hit it miles over as soon as he hit it.



I also shouted "noooo" very loudly at Freeman completely botching a simple cross for a tap-in at Oxford, to the extent that multiple people immediately turned to laugh at me after:



In your defence, that's an absolute fluke from Freeman.
 
Basham's having a shocker, he's not a midfielder. Get him off.

...


BASHAM'S ARRIVING!
So many people forget he was having a shocker first 70 mins of that match... one time Wilder was justified keeping him on 😍
 
In the 09/10 season, Ipswich at home. We were 3-1 down and looking dreadful, and we brought on Richard fucking Cresswell. Told my dad I was done and walked out, off to meet my girlfriend (now wife, so I think I'm at least partially justified).

While walking up to her house, heard the cheers on the 2 occasions we scored to salvage a 3-3 draw.
 
Opening day of the 95/96 season.

"Shit cross" I exclaimed. 3 second later the ball was headed back across goal and Derek Payne (?) scored an overhead kick

As seen here:
 
Fourth division away at Port Vale. McAlle hoofed the ball away high and long. Keith Edwards chased after it and hit first time. Me high up behind the goal went nooooo.....goooal.
 



All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Back
Top Bottom