Back 4

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bladezz

Reaction score
I liked the back 4 today. Thought we looked a lot more balanced in play.

Conceding 4 obviously isn’t good but it’s more down to terrible individual performances.

What’s everyone thoughts?

Conceding 4 obviously isn’t good but it’s more down to terrible individual performances.

Sign Van Dijk, Saliba, Kyle Walker and get Baldock back fit and there’s potentially a top 2 team next season.

The left hand side was pathetic and directly at fault for 3 of the 4 goals.

I thought Bogle was a positive all round and Anel did OK

All the goals came from midfield errors. WE NEED A BETTER MIDFIELD. Arblaster has enthusiasm but not a Premier league midfielder, yet. The others that have played there this year switch off way to often and thus we create little and concede too much. Priority for me a hard working, football intelligent midfield.

All the goals came from midfield errors. WE NEED A BETTER MIDFIELD. Arblaster has enthusiasm but not a Premier league midfielder, yet. The others that have played there this year switch off way to often and thus we create little and concede too much. Priority for me a hard working, football intelligent midfield.

That's what defenders and goalkeepers are there for though. A midfielder may not always be winning their battles but you would expect a tackle or two to come in from a defender and a goalkeeper to do the basics.

That's what defenders and goalkeepers are there for though. A midfielder may not always be winning their battles but you would expect a tackle or two to come in from a defender and a goalkeeper to do the basics.
Indeed. Not saying we don't need new defenders, we do, just that priority is midfield, then defence. We have strikers at the club who can do the business at Championship level. Oh and a new keeper or two.

4 at the back works as well as 3 or 5 at the back if you have the players in the team to be able to do any of those options. Sadly we don't in this league.

I’d like to see them put a bastard tackle in occasionally

Not for me. The starting formation cost us the game imo. Playing a four against their wingers with full backs who aren't natural defenders was suicidal and so it proved. As LJ Blade says they ripped us apart down the left. The first job of a full back is to be able to defend. Holgate should have played in a five enabling our wing backs to push up on their wingers. We should have gone with this at half time. 3-5-2 helped us to a 5-2 win last season. We were wide open down the middle and failed to get past their press on numerous occasions.

Going forward we caused them problems but if you cant stop them running at you in the middle and do the basics of defending you're not going to win games. The goalkeeper didn't help but it was obvious we were wide open early in the game yet the manager stuck rigidly to his formation seemingly oblivious to what was going on in front of his own eyes.

This the back four that left players unmarked in acres of space from crosses.

We conceded four goals against another abysmal PL team.

Apart from Anel, Trusty and Osborn I’d say yeah. Bogle only gets off lighter as he got forward a bit

Not for me. The starting formation cost us the game imo. Playing a four against their wingers with full backs who aren't natural defenders was suicidal and so it proved. As LJ Blade says they ripped us apart down the left. The first job of a full back is to be able to defend. Holgate should have played in a five enabling our wing backs to push up on their wingers. We should have gone with this at half time. 3-5-2 helped us to a 5-2 win last season. We were wide open down the middle and failed to get past their press on numerous occasions.

Going forward we caused them problems but if you cant stop them running at you in the middle and do the basics of defending you're not going to win games. The goalkeeper didn't help but it was obvious we were wide open early in the game yet the manager stuck rigidly to his formation seemingly oblivious to what was going on in front of his own eyes.
Spot on. Lord knows why Wilder didn't make the change at half time.

My glass is usually overflowing but even I am struggling to think of any positives to our defensive effort...

Bogle did well getting forward as he so often does but we have to be able to keep a clean sheet and this team are and always will be incapable of that, even if we somehow end up with the offspring of Alex ferguson and pep guadiloa as manager

Anel, Bogle were OK. Left side was poor but certainly not helped by Souza being completely anonymous, then Wilder throwing the game by doing nothing to address his lack of midfield contribution

Anel, Bogle were OK. Left side was poor but certainly not helped by Souza being completely anonymous, then Wilder throwing the game by doing nothing to address his lack of midfield contribution

We’re in Lundcunt territory here.

I like Osborn at Left Wing Back but not at Left back, he struggles when he has to cover the Center back which you have to do much more in 4 than a 5.

Trusty is completely hopeless, he reminds me of Nosworthy

Anel had one of his better games

Bogle was okay too.

Back
Top Bottom