Arsenal v Blades - 24 Aug 1971

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I went to this on the SU Tours coach with my Dad (although he was an Owls fan). Went on the Clock End and was astonished to find they had a sort of mini-symphony orchestra in the upper stand to our left as pre-match entertainment. They were there every home game apparently. Some Gooner fans got a bit arsey (see what I did there) when I shouted when Scullion scored. My Dad threatened to twat the lot of 'em, and they seemed to accept that. My Dad never took any shit from anyone.....

I was at Butlins holiday camp in Ayr that night. My dad and I went into the tv room to find out the score. We had missed the results service on BBC news so my dad quietly asked round for the score, he then gently took me out of the score, told be to be quiet before saying "Arsenal 0 United 1". Never forgot the joy!

Probably the best time ever to be a Blade.

Apart from 1898 you mean? 😉

It’s an interesting question and I understand older Blades nostalgia for 1971.

But even then being told the scores or seeing it come up on the teleprinter surely can’t compete with watching us take on and compete with the nation’s/world’s best live on Sky with massive coverage later on the BBC and multiple other media outlets?

For me, 2019 was probably the best time ever to be a Blade

Apart from 1898 you mean? 😉

It’s an interesting question and I understand older Blades nostalgia for 1971.

But even then being told the scores or seeing it come up on the teleprinter surely can’t compete with watching us take on and compete with the nation’s/world’s best live on Sky with massive coverage later on the BBC and multiple other media outlets?

For me, 2019 was probably the best time ever to be a Blade
Its an interesting point. I found out about the Arsenal win in the Daily Express the next day staying at my uncle's near Middlesbrough. No one was really bothered except me. I think the feeling at the time was incredulity after all those years being second fiddle to Wednesday, was it possible we'd eclipse them and actually win something? Really? Yes. I was 15 and very happy. By the Man U away match match a few games later we'd peaked - but that pinch of snuff of success in the 70s had me hooked and sustained me through the bad years to follow... and made the achievements of 1992, 2002/3, 2006 and 2018/19 all the sweeter

Its an interesting point. I found out about the Arsenal win in the Daily Express the next day staying at my uncle's near Middlesbrough. No one was really bothered except me. I think the feeling at the time was incredulity after all those years being second fiddle to Wednesday, was it possible we'd eclipse them and actually win something? Really? Yes. I was 15 and very happy. By the Man U away match match a few games later we'd peaked - but that pinch of snuff of success in the 70s had me hooked and sustained me through the bad years to follow... and made the achievements of 1992, 2002/3, 2006 and 2018/19 all the sweeter
The Man Utd match was 7 games later, I suppose it is a “few games”, but in my minds eye it was well into the season.

My memories of the Southampton and Man Utd games are still vivid. You’d think the Leeds game would be but can’t remember anything about it.

I went to this on the SU Tours coach with my Dad (although he was an Owls fan). Went on the Clock End and was astonished to find they had a sort of mini-symphony orchestra in the upper stand to our left as pre-match entertainment. They were there every home game apparently. Some Gooner fans got a bit arsey (see what I did there) when I shouted when Scullion scored. My Dad threatened to twat the lot of 'em, and they seemed to accept that. My Dad never took any shit from anyone.....
My dad was also a Wednesday ite- fanatic would be a better description

I was at Butlins holiday camp in Ayr that night. My dad and I went into the tv room to find out the score. We had missed the results service on BBC news so my dad quietly asked round for the score, he then gently took me out of the score, told be to be quiet before saying "Arsenal 0 United 1". Never forgot the joy!
I was 6 at the time and we were at Blackpool. I went down to the paper shop the morning after with my Dad, he was limping a bit having bowled 16 overs for WHCC the Saturday before.

He wasn't limping when we saw the score in the Daily Mirror as we jumped around on the prom.

Back
Top Bottom