Arsenal 5 United 0 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
It was another incredibly difficult afternoon for the Blades as they lost for the fourth time in London this season. United remained in the game but as soon as a piece of skill from Eddie Nketiah outfoxed former Arsenal man Auston Trusty, the game was effectively over. The second half became incredibly one sided with a Foderingham error leading to a another Nketiah strike before the striker completed his hat trick with a superb individual goal. Late strikes from Viera and Tomiyasu gave the scoreline a more realistic look after an extremely one-sided game in which the Blades failed to register a shot on target. It is now 9 defeats in 10 for the Blades who are the only side without a victory in the top flight. There is growing speculation over the future of Paul Heckingbottom as his side looks completely at a mismatch every single week.

The Blades horrendous injury list showed no sign of abating and McBurnie joined a number on the sidelines and will be out for several games. The Blades gave Rhian Brewster and Anis Slimane their first starts of the season and premiered their new grey third strip. In front of an expectant home crowd, Arsenal as expected dominated the ball early on. United were keeping a solid shape and restricting any clear chances until Rice’s ball nearly found Havertz. Saka then had a good opportunity after Martinelli went past Bogle too easily, but the England man could not finish.

The Blades tried to get their more technical players into the game but McAtee was guilty of losing the ball cheaply and Hamer’s shot from half way that nearly went out for a throw in drew howls of laughter from the home fans. Robinson did well to get a block in and Thomas was alert also to one ball inside but the quality Arsenal possess, you know they only need one bit of space and they can punish you.

Rice played a ball forward but NKETIAH’s touch manged to see him get goal side of Trusty who was guilty of switching off but the skill was still to be admired. The forward slotted into the corner giving Foderingham no chance. United had worked hard defensively and kept good shape but could not deal with this quality. Soon after it was nearly a second goal as Martinelli’s fierce strike had to pushed behind. Smith Rowe, in a rare start, then nearly got in but Trusty had to head away. United were glad of half time as it had been one way traffic and the Blades once again unable to get up the field.

The second half began disastrously for United and Foderingham. A corner came in and the keeper made a mess of dealing with the high ball and it dropped for NKETIAH to finish into the empty net. A VAR check ensued but it never seemed any doubt that this was a legal goal and a mistake from the Blades stopper. It was not long before he completed his hat trick as NKETIAH darted inside and hit a superb curling finish into the top corner. The Blades keeper had no chance on this goal as the defence stood off yet again.

At this stage United seemed completely unable to even compete and it bore the resemblance of a practice match as Arsenal moved it from side to side with barely a challenge. United looked physically and mentally spent and it was just a matter of how many the home side would add to a comfortable lead.

Osborn and Archer came on but the first contribution of the former was a clumsy foul and a booking. White then had an effort saved from Foderingham before Bogle was booked for a lazy foul. Trossard and Tomiyasu came on for the home side but they continued to go through the visitors very easily but Robinson again, the one positive, got his foot in to deny Smith Rowe. A further flurry of subs came for both sides with Baldock and Fleck on for McAtee and Bogle.

Most Blades fans were peering at the clock and hoping Arsenal would let up and for a period they were happy to just keep the ball. One came on for his debut for Hamer but Arsenal’s domination continued. United had barely launched an attack all half and most of the game had been played in their final third. A fourth came as Norwood clumsily brought down Viera. It seemed debatable if it was in the area or not but a VAR check deemed it on the line and thus a spot kick. VIERA took it and scored easily. There was 10 minutes of stoppage time added which seemed cruel on the visitors. A further goal came when TOMIYASU finished after a corner. Another VAR check came but once again it went in favour of the home side. A chance for a sixth was put in the side netting before the pain was ended for the Blades fans who continued to sing despite the heavy defeat.

United – Another complete write off really. It seems like the format is set most games now (granted we did better v Man Utd) and certainly away from home. We defend deep in numbers and normally do ok and restrict the opponents and today we were ok at 20 minutes with only a few half chances. The problem is we never try and attack or get up the field, we do not have any of the ball (despite loads more bodies in midfield today and probably the right selection in terms of set up). The quality other teams have mean as soon as they score and they will do (as we cannot and will not keep clean sheets not keeping the ball, trying to attack, and just defending), we are done for. We have no idea what to do after that. The goal was lovely skill but poor defending from Trusty who got done completely. He should not have got so tight and made it easy for him to get round him. After this they had more chances and could have been 2 or 3 up. We were not abysmal first half but were very poor and unadventurous. The only effort we had was a shot from half way that the home fans laughed at us. The likes of McAtee and Hamer are supposed to keep the ball but both gave it away every time they had it. Slimane and Souza are big lads but both are pitiful in challenges a lot of the time and/or just stand off. Norwood does not have the legs or mobility to play at this level and currently is giving the ball away when he has it or just knocking it long. He is only playing as we have no one else. Sadly, you can say same about a number.

After the goal, it is game over. It is that bad in terms of how we are just miles off the level of the opposition. We then just try and keep the score down. I do think cup teams would have more of a go. On one hand the players are not good enough and we are seeing that weekly. Once again we showed our control, dribbling, passing, and shooting (although we would have to get near the goal to have a shot!) is miles off the other teams. It’s like we are playing a different sport. I saw Agbonlahor laughing at us on TalkSport saying we are a side with top 10 Champ players and as irritating as he came across, he is right. Archer, Hamer were in playoff sides last season and the rest of our side is barely a top 10 side really – if you take off Gibbs White/Ndiaye/Berge/Doyle then we would be around the middle of the league below. I see us as a side like a West Brom at best. That is the reality. Granted we have 3 or 4 key men out but I also think we saw this when some of our better players were playing (Newcastle for instance).

The second half we simply folded – like Newcastle. The players seemed to just lose heart and whether it was them giving up or packing up (that seems harsh – think they just are not quick, strong, fit, good enough and just was hard to run around when you are 3 or 4-0 down); it was a tough watch. Arsenal rested quite a few of their best players and won easily. 5-0 probably flattered us in terms of the chances/goals/possession and territory. I think the only time we got in their half 2nd half (till last few minutes) was when we kicked off! Arsenal fans above were laughing at how bad we were and we have to say we look as bad, if not worse than the side that went down a few years ago. I do think the league has gone up a level too since then. We barely look like having an attack away from home and when we have it, we lose it. We do not even have 2-3 minutes of territory or where we just keep it. The players just know they are inferior to the opposition.

There is an argument about whether they are as bad as they are showing and maybe they can do better? I completely understand the talk of changing the manager and if he went, I would not be in uproar. He knows he cannot keep losing. He knows even with the cards he has been dealt and selling his best players and not giving him a proper chance, that he would have expected us to be more competitive than this? I understand the argument as despite everything that has happened – he is now probably the only thing we can realistically change. I feel sorry for him if it happens. He seems a good guy and maybe you an argue he could be out of his depth but has never been given a proper chance I feel. We had a game plan around two of our better/best players in Ndiaye and Berge. The minute they are sold then that is gone and we almost have to start again. The team with those two and additions probably goes down. As soon as they go and we bring in Championship replacements/punts, then we have little to no chance. The embargo, what happened before the season and all the off-field stuff, he has dealt with in a classy and professional way but ultimately he will know regardless of all that, if we keep losing, he will probably go. Not sure what the plan is after that as we had that press conference which talked about Hecky being part of a long-term plan but I do get that a club cannot keep watching it’s team lose and so easily. I can fully understand why they might have to change it now. I am not saying we have to do it. I can see the argument for giving him games against weaker teams (still better than us) but equally can see the logic of getting someone in before these games and giving it a fresh voice/ideas. I am not sure it will change much if anything. We are going down for me, no matter what. That sounds defeatist but is where we are at. We may see a short term uplift and maybe we get some belief which we need but I think even with a change we would be having the same chat in a few months about the team and players just not being good enough.

I do accept that our style of play and how we approach things has to change. Our mentality is just to hang on. It is incredibly negative. We are defensive but not even defending well and are getting pumped playing this way. So, we have to do something different. Maybe we can’t? Maybe this manager/ a new manager cannot get a set of players (not helped by at least 3 starters being out injured – for all the talk of the injury list – not sure any of the rest actually get in outside of Egan, Anel and McBurnie – granted give us more depth?) to do much better but I absolutely see why people are frustrated. I think we would still lose most weeks and still get some batterings but the players are not winning battles and seem to be really low in confidence. I understand that a new manager/coaching team ‘might’ just give them that belief. I do not buy that over a period of time, it will make much difference though. Ultimately we need new ownership/fresh funds to compete. Without it, the managerial change will paper over the bigger cracks.

All the Wilder talk is nonsensical for me. I think people are looking at it with nostalgia and remembering his amazing tenure. I get that but he failed at the end with us (with a similar sort of group/situation) and then failed at Boro/Watford. Not one club in the top 2 leagues would probably take him at the moment? If it was say a Luton or Burnley who sacked their manger and took him, you would think what are they doing? I loved Wilder’s period and he brought so many happy memories but this idea he is suddenly going to turn this around by shouting and screaming is not going to wash for me. He struggled tactically at the end and seemed to have no real other plan after teams worked out how to stop the first one. His main other strength was man management. He might be more of a personality than Hecky but short term it wears off and some of the players will remember the public bashings he gave them before. If we change it, we should look elsewhere for me. Do not know who but we are still for now, a Premier League club and still should be attractive for some. I get the idea that if we wait and say lose the next 3 or 4, then at that point, a change becomes a bit pointless. I do understand the argument that if we are going to do it, we do it now. In an ideal world, Hecky would remain and get results in the next few but even I am not sure that will happen now so I probably expect a change in the next week but feel it is harsh in many ways on Hecky (yes results scream out I know). To me the biggest thing is next season and planning for where we go next. Ultimately we knew we might go down but wanted to be able to bounce back. We need to see the best of players like Hamer and Souza (Archer and McAtee are not going to be here – I’d send them both back in January if we are as good as down) and try and see if some of the other development players can erm…develop. At the moment the club would be rock bottom if they went down with the lowest number of points and not sure many would think we would just bounce back. We saw that last time with probably better players in my opinion (as I say, Archer and McAtee won’t be here) and more experienced players definitely who were near the bottom of the Championship.

It is going to be an interesting week but feel the mood music is something might happen now.

Ratings:

Foderingham 4/10 – He is now starting to struggle and making mistakes after a good start and being one of our best players. Suppose weight of pressure is starting to tell. No chance on most of the goals and did make some good saves in between the goals going in but he also was horribly at fault for the second where he just dropped it and killed the game. The third he also kicked it straight to them and they came back and scored. He is badly exposed but also showing what he is, an average Championship keeper.

Bogle 2/10 – Someone said it the other week but it’s like that cartoon film, Space Jam where the aliens have took his power and he cannot run/kick it or do much of anything. The only comparison I can make is Enda a few years ago. He never has been much good at defending and today he gave so much room down that side (you could see it time after time as we were sat down near his side) and never stopped the cross or his man. Going forward he offers nothing but you can argue that is the set up. He seems to have lost all his physicality (was a quick-ish athlete who dribbled and a decent footballer?). Whether it’s the injuries or loss of confidence, he is showing nothing. Out of contract end of the season (and he and Lowe – who cost us 10 million combined will move on for nothing you would think. Two years ago he looked a really good young player and one to build on but now he looks a player who might head down the pyramid quite quickly (See Kieron Freeman – now at Oldham!).

Thomas 4/10 – I have been critical of him and today he made mistakes and stood off but was weirdly better than he has been and at least got his foot in, made a few interceptions, and looked like he showed some heart. He was not the worst player today but still looked out of his depth at this level. That sums up how bad we are/were.

Robinson 5.5/10 – Our best outfield player by virtue of the fact he got his foot in and made some interceptions at least. First half he was the one who made two good tackles or got across and stopped them getting in. Nketiah was on Trusty much of the time but he too was guilty second half of standing off but the players in front were not protecting the defence at all. Been our best outfield player this season but even he is only a 5-7/10 at best – so that sums up how poor we/the rest have been. Least he shows some pride and was still chasing at the end.

Trusty 4/10 – In general play he did some ok things and made a few tackles/blocks but his man scored a hat trick and given a bit of a going over on the first goal. He kept plugging away but he lacks pace and Arsenal’s more technical players were too quick/skilled at times. He is not great on the ball and another guilty of just kicking it away rather than trying to keep it.

Souza 4/10 – I thought he wasn’t the worst midfielder but still sat off too much and does a lot of pointing. He is a big lad but does not play like it and seems to not really want to press/get stuck in when I see him. I think it does not help we have no legs around him really so he is supposed to be a sitter but then had to get about too. He was ok last week but today they just passed round our midfield and he and others did not get close to them really. Not quite the player we thought we were getting in terms of the big, intimidating physical midfielder who would protect the defence. Just seems a bit of a nothing player. I think if he was not called Souza and had dyed hair and was called John Smith signed from the UK, he’d be getting a lot more stick? Maybe that is not correct but how I feel in. Another poor signing that is not up to this level really. If we go down, expect him to be moved on but we will lose money on him if he goes back to the continent unless he improves.

Norwood 2/10 – An awful game. He just kicked it when he had it and then out of possession he was blowing as early as the first 5 minutes. Arsenal are full of strong and mobile athletes and he looked like he was in a different sport. It almost seemed unfair. We had none of the ball in midfield – expect not to have much – but we had none of it! When he gets it he does not even keep it and played some stupid balls down the line that just gave it back to them. He is not offering anything at the moment and the way other teams’ midfields completely dominate means we surely need to try something/someone different but not sure we have anyone! His interview after was a tough take as he basically had no answers.

Slimane 2.5/10 – Not sure he was even playing. Seriously. Looked way out of his depth but not helped by him playing in a sort of left-wing position? He was on the far side from us so maybe that did not help but he did not do much defensively to stop them nor did he engage in many challenges. On the ball I did not see him at all apart from passing it to them twice. The signings of him, Larouci, Traore and Souza all look a complete waste of funds so far and questions have to be asked of our scouting network if this is the best we can find for the Premier League which is a very attractive league? I get this ‘development’ talk but I have seen very little in any of these players to say they will be part of a long-term future at the Blades. The Championship is even more physical and these lads lack the fitness/mobility and power needed for English football. Larouci for all the flack is the only one that has shown flashes actually!

McAtee 2/10 – His re-signing so far has been a mistake and like Thomas and Larouci, waste of loan spots when we needed some physicality and players who can compete at this level. A ball player who we envisaged would help us get up the field and keep it and maybe create? He has not been in games at all and when he had it (a few times first half today) he just got outmuscled. Looks just like the lad we saw to start last season and he will probably wonder why he came back as in the Champ with Leicester he would got on the ball and been more effective. He would be ok at a team who has a lot of the ball maybe but we won’t have much of it and when he gets it, he has to protect it more.

Hamer 3.5/10 – Started well with the goals but another whose confidence seems to be draining. Now been shunted out wide as we had to change formation due to injuries. He did a few ok things first half and felt he was the one at least trying to get on it but as the game went on, his lack of fitness and ability to last at this level showed again as he disappeared. Second half I did not even notice him (or many of the rest really). Another who is probably thinking he might have made a mistake coming here? Granted if he wants to show he can play at this level he has to do better. That’s the thing, all these players, Anel, Hamer, McAtee, Archer – all aspiring to be Premier League players but none shown they are close to this and all look decent to good Champ players as their ceiling – granted all four are young and could develop but there is a reason none of them were wanted by other Premier League teams and the sum of their interest was Championship sides.

Brewster 2/10 – May seem harsh as he had little service and the way we set up did not allow him to really get any chances but he barely kicked the ball, did not particularly work hard and I felt looked badly unfit (granted been out a while). He is getting back to fitness but we saw at this level before, he is just not at the level for the top flight in terms of ability. When he came off 2nd half, I forgot he was even playing to be honest. Says a lot about Archer that he has already been dropped for him too.

Subs –

Archer 3/10 – He at least touched it more than Brewster I thought (although some of them were kick offs!) but we were just defending and he like Brewster did get any ball. Another that needs to at least press or harry and not sure he or Brewster do that.

Osborn 2/10 – Came on and got booked but barely noticed him really. At that point we were chasing shadows. Should be nowhere near a Premier League squad.

Baldock 4/10 – At least won a tackle and showed some energy but they continued to attack any way they wanted so it was hard for him.

Fleck 2/10 – At this point the game was done but another who just stood off as they walked through us.

One – Big lad but felt sorry for him as he was thrown as we were trying to keep the score down at this point rather than trying to attack.

Manager: Heckingbottom 1/10 – We lost 5-0 and just imploded 2nd half. We did not look close to even competing. We did start ok for 20 minutes but the way we set up even then just invited pressure. I had no issues with the team selection – not sure he could do much more and I would have tried to pack the midfield as he did. In the end we just were waiting for the goal and then we just sort of folded after this. The second half was painful to watch. It was a complete non event and just became damage limitation. He will know that the pressure is mounting but as I have discussed I have some sympathy in terms of the overall situation. I do think tactically and how we are setting up is giving us no chance to even compete but maybe that is down to the players he has?

Arsenal – Cantered to the win. Felt like they were playing with us first half and then after the goal, just took it up a level and could have been 2 or 3 up at half time. The second half they went through us easily and even though the 2nd was a mistake, could have had a lot more. I thought we had done well to get away with 3-0 but they brought some hungry, young subs on and they wanted to prove something. They rested some of their better players too and still looked leagues above us. It was hard to know both teams were playing the same sport at times such was the difference in movement, skill, power and pace. To think 4 years ago we went here and got a deserved point playing with no fear and commitment against a lot of the same players.

Arsenal have a really good squad and have developed young players well and added to it with Rice a great buy. They are not quite at City’s standard but feel they will push them close again this season. Today was like a practice game where it was up to them how they beat us and by how much. I think if they had wanted they could have hit the Newcastle levels in terms of scoreline.

Opponent Man of the Match – Nketiah for the hat trick but every single players was miles better than ours in the individual match ups. Rice dominated midfield. Martinelli looked a threat. Saka is a fantastic player too.

Opponent Weak link – Not sure there was one. Smith Rowe actually showed he will have to up his game if he wants to remain long term at Arsenal as thought he was one of the few who did not impress as much going forward. If he played for us, he would be our best player of course!

Referee/Officials – Fine really. The VAR ones mattered little at the end but a daft challenge from Norwood. The second seemed a clear mistake- surprised they checked it -I knew it was a goal. A few bookings for clumsy stretching tackles from Bogle and Osborn. The rest of the game we barely got near them so an easy match to referee really.

Matchday/Crowd/Coverage – United fans kept supporting and still were singing at the end and remained incredibly loyal with a sold out away following (not sure that will continue as Brighton is nowhere near close to selling out – day does not help I know) but there were frustrations with the ineptitude of the performance and the fact we rolled over so easily. The rest of the day was good. Met up with my mate and the Travelling and drank around Camden for a few hours and then near St Pancras post game. As always had a good laugh/drink and tried to see the black humour in it all but it is hard going when you know you are going to lose and probably get hammered. It is costly too. I will probably try and do another before Xmas away (Burnley or Chelsea as others hard to get to on the days/kick off times) but do think the away followings may dwindle if we keep losing as I expect.

Thanks for this Deadbat, much appreciated. All I can say is that I'm glad you enjoyed the beer!!
You're probably aware, but in the top 6 leagues of the pyramid down to NL N&S, there are only two clubs without a win. Only Rotherham this afternoon stand between us being the only club left without a win.
UTB!!

Cheers Deadbat.

I think your last point is more telling than anything. We're in the Premier League, yet the fans are not able to enjoy it whatsoever. In my entire adult life I've only been able to watch us at the top level for 1.7 seasons before this one, and I'm approaching 40. I let someone else use my loyalty points for a Premier League ticket yesterday, for the first time in my life. I was free to go, I just didn't want to. If we can't enjoy these brief stints up there then what's the point?

I think that alone means it's time for a change of manager, to at least try to make the next 6 months watchable.

Thanks DB. A depressing but honest read. I agree the manager has been dealt a poor hand by the Board but there is no excuse for the second half fade outs we are getting each week. The fitness and conditioning of the players is lamentable and imo has contributed to the injury crisis. Rumours suggest we've lost Mcb for another month which is indicative of the low standard of sports science we currently employ. That alone I'm afraid is sufficient evidence for the Board to consider a change now. Holding on for a few more weeks will only exacerbate the problems as the players lack leadership, fight and confidence. We can't go a season turning in performances like this and expect a promotion charge next season. It just won't happen under the present set up. I don't buy into the tacit acceptance that we just aren't good enough. These players are capable of producing more over the course of the whole 90 minutes.

The Board don't do contingency planning, never have never will just react late in the day when situations spiral out of control as we are now. A proactive Board would have the likes of Blessin and Still on their list of 3. Unfortunately its more likely to be Smith and Jones. Not the comedians but some would argue they would do a better job. So you're left with CW. Agree he's not the answer but who else would want to take on this car crash of a season. Talk of giving him a three year contract just confirms how inept the Board are. Every other club in the league would offer a deal to the end of the season with a huge bonus for staying up. His mate is talking up the fact he's got offers in the USA. Well he should take them if a deal to the end of the season is not acceptable. Another example of the Clubs ineptitude in negotiations if this is proven to be the case.

I've stated my admiration for the way PH handled the off field problems last season. I would welcome a scenario where he is kept on in a Technical Director role but SUFC don't do innovation. If we continue as we are it will get toxic and PH doesn't deserve that. If a change does occur this week then supposed leaks from within the Club have to be called into question. The lack of a structured effective communication strategy is embarrassing and could have affected performance and planning for yesterdays game.

All in all something visible has to occur next week be it a change or a statement fully supporting the Manager dismissing rumours. Otherwise it will confirm some supporters suspicions that the Board have given up on the season already which is a damning indictment in itself.

Excellent write up of the match and the other issues surrounding the club.
The biggest ongoing issue in my view has been player recruitment and player development. I cannot believe we paid £15 mil for Hamer and £10 mil for Souza . Where the hell did we find Thomas and Lamouci?
Where are the young players coming through, we have not anybody come through the Academy who have made it into the first team for years ( Ndiaye and Brooks joined as more mature players) ?
How many players have been improved ?
This needs to be sorted or we will always be in this position.
Changing the Manager now is neither here nor there. We should be trying to find a young manager with outstanding technical qualities for the long term.They exist look at Ipswich,Portsmouth or even Luton.
we don’t need dinosaurs like Wilder et el , this Season is dead

You worked harder on this than the players. Yes, that is sarcasm. A team just showing up is a team that needs to take a stock of themselves as "professional footballers". If they have an ounce of respect for the club that pays them a good living wage, then the season starts against Wolves. A lot of damage has been done and only battling performances from now on will do. ....not holding my breath......cause it'll kill me, sooooo

I rarely disagree with your summary Deaders, sometimes I'll take you to task on the marks out of ten but that was spot on for me. Bogle and Norwood were appalling again and bringing Osborne on to save the day is getting really old.

Long hard season ahead, and not even sure Luton, Burnley and Bournemouth will see us kick start things as even the bad teams in the league look like they have more fight in them than we do.

Worse than Newcastle. If a League Two team rocked up to the Emirates in the third round of the cup and only had two shots their fans would leave feeling like they hadn't given a great account of themselves. The squad probably was never good enough to avoid relegation but for fuck's sake give us something to shout about while we're watching the game. Give them a scare or two, create some chances. Two shots is pathetic. Something has to change.

Our main defensive plan for this match was man marking.

Arsenal's shape was 4-3-3. One central striker, two wingers. One holding anchor in midfield and two 8s (RCM and LCM).

So our full backs marked the wingers. The centre halves took turns in marking Nketiah. In midfield Norwood marked Havertz and Souza marked Smith Rowe. It looked a bit strange that our two central midfielders often weren't in a position in front of the centre halves, they were tracking and marking their men instead.

I thought it did make Arsenal struggle first half. Rowe Smith hasn't played much and Havertz has yet to find good form. Both were anonymous the first 30 minutes. Although there were space in the central areas for them to exploit, they didn't seem to have a plan for that.

When they scored the goal we had our set up as described above:

1698599489983.png

The usually holding Rice has also joined this attack and Hamer has come back to help out. But his pressure isn't great and the pass goes through his legs, possibly adding to Trusty's lapse of concentration.

Even though we have men back, notice how it is not the usual blocks in front of our goal. They are all focusing on their men, and this means it doesn't take more than one half hearted challenge and one slip up and they are through.

I think this attempt at man marking was probably worth trying at some stage, but it's weakness was punished before 30 minutes, and from then on it was difficult to keep it up, because it is a system that is designed to frustrate the opposition players, and it relies on our players being fit enough and also superior when it comes to work rate and motivation. When Arsenal got in front their players weren't going to be very frustrated anymore.

In my opinion Arsenal were lucky to get the early second half goal, as White was obstructing Wes, not when he made the punch, but when the shot from Nketiah was struck.

From then on it was obvious we lost faith in our chances, resulting in more sloppy play and disorganisation being punished.

I think you’ve nailed the manager situation.

Sooner or later Hecky is going to be the victim of these circumstances. If we were competitive and going down like the Warnock season where we were at least in it then you’d be ok to go into the following season.

But it just also feels that the belief has gone. A new voice is probably all you have left at this point in the season.

You could argue he has had hard fixtures and now come some more winnable games but then here is the rub; do you give him that chance with a team low on confidence or do you reboot the group with some injection a new manager gives and have them freshly invigorated?

You’d like the former to be fair to Hecky but you’d also think the latter might have more of an impact.

If it is a straight choice of Hecky and Wilder now it is a difficult one. Chris created a team, something Hecky didn’t really do. Perhaps it needs someone who isn’t afraid to re-set, though can Chris do that still? Hecky has managed the stress of upheaval very well and shown he can lift a group. Maybe lifting them this year is beyond anyone? Can you keep both? Hecky has seemed more interested in the club development as a whole. Could he move upstairs and Wilder just focus on the first team? Would that be too humbling?

One thing is for sure, it’s hard now being the last team to secure a win in the 92 and the lack of edge - you’d expect someone like Wrexham to be giving it more of a go in a cup game against these teams - it is hard to take now.

Something needs to change. A huge slice of luck wouldn’t hurt. Winning our mini league is a big ask and puts huge pressure on the small handful of games.

We need a new owner but even then I’m a bit perplexed at how little we spent. Last time it was 60m followed by 50m. This time we’ve reinvested the sales and then spent what? 6m? 10m? You can hardly count Archer as he’s a glorified loan deal really. It was all far too conservative. But then the owner didn’t ask to become sole owner. McCabe forced that one. He’s open to selling too, so it isn’t like he’s hanging on for dear life either.

Like Norwood, we’re lacking answers. But the manager’s role is the only dice to roll. I’d almost applaud the Prince if he also acknowledged the situation and just decided to stick it out with Hecky. It would be very brave. Long term planning is good and he has given youth a go rather than turn to long term journeymen. But it’s just the manner of some of the defeats recently; Arsenal, Newcastle, West Ham and Fulham, we’ve hardly competed and the who mantra of Out Run, Out Fight, Out Play is mocking us really. The latter you can understand at this level won’t happen but we’re nowhere near the former two either.

Deadbat, excellent report but amid the doom and gloom it is remarkable that just six weeks ago we nearly beat Spurs away with substantially the same team.
Those who played that day and not against Arsenal were Basham, Ahmedhodzic, McBurnie and Archer (replaced by Trusty, Slimane, Norwood and Brewster). What has gone wrong since then? I think the downward spiral in confidence started with that Spurs result, which was gut-wrenching to say the least, and this laid the ground for the 0-8 Newcastle debacle.
If we can get some injured players back, notably Baldock, Ahmedhodzic and McBurnie and get some points from the upcoming 'easier' run of games all may not be lost

I blame the grey shirts. Didn't Manure once claim that their players couldn't see one another in their away grey strip? Top six teams know these things!
Get out of the grey and back into yellow! .....and fight, fight, fight for Sheffield United. Great report Deadbat as always, thank you.

I blame the grey shirts. Didn't Manure once claim that their players couldn't see one another in their away grey strip? Top six teams know these things!
Get out of the grey and back into yellow! .....and fight, fight, fight for Sheffield United. Great report Deadbat as always, thank you.

Man Utd still scored 3 in that game, it was away at the Dell.

I'd pay good money to suggest we won't score 3 in an away league game all season.

In fact when was last time we scored 3 away in the prem??

United – Another complete write off really. It seems like the format is set most games now (granted we did better v Man Utd) and certainly away from home. We defend deep in numbers and normally do ok and restrict the opponents and today we were ok at 20 minutes with only a few half chances. The problem is we never try and attack or get up the field, we do not have any of the ball (despite loads more bodies in midfield today and probably the right selection in terms of set up). The quality other teams have mean as soon as they score and they will do (as we cannot and will not keep clean sheets not keeping the ball, trying to attack, and just defending), we are done for. We have no idea what to do after that. The goal was lovely skill but poor defending from Trusty who got done completely. He should not have got so tight and made it easy for him to get round him. After this they had more chances and could have been 2 or 3 up. We were not abysmal first half but were very poor and unadventurous. The only effort we had was a shot from half way that the home fans laughed at us. The likes of McAtee and Hamer are supposed to keep the ball but both gave it away every time they had it. Slimane and Souza are big lads but both are pitiful in challenges a lot of the time and/or just stand off. Norwood does not have the legs or mobility to play at this level and currently is giving the ball away when he has it or just knocking it long. He is only playing as we have no one else. Sadly, you can say same about a number.

After the goal, it is game over. It is that bad in terms of how we are just miles off the level of the opposition. We then just try and keep the score down. I do think cup teams would have more of a go. On one hand the players are not good enough and we are seeing that weekly. Once again we showed our control, dribbling, passing, and shooting (although we would have to get near the goal to have a shot!) is miles off the other teams. It’s like we are playing a different sport. I saw Agbonlahor laughing at us on TalkSport saying we are a side with top 10 Champ players and as irritating as he came across, he is right. Archer, Hamer were in playoff sides last season and the rest of our side is barely a top 10 side really – if you take off Gibbs White/Ndiaye/Berge/Doyle then we would be around the middle of the league below. I see us as a side like a West Brom at best. That is the reality. Granted we have 3 or 4 key men out but I also think we saw this when some of our better players were playing (Newcastle for instance).

The second half we simply folded – like Newcastle. The players seemed to just lose heart and whether it was them giving up or packing up (that seems harsh – think they just are not quick, strong, fit, good enough and just was hard to run around when you are 3 or 4-0 down); it was a tough watch. Arsenal rested quite a few of their best players and won easily. 5-0 probably flattered us in terms of the chances/goals/possession and territory. I think the only time we got in their half 2nd half (till last few minutes) was when we kicked off! Arsenal fans above were laughing at how bad we were and we have to say we look as bad, if not worse than the side that went down a few years ago. I do think the league has gone up a level too since then. We barely look like having an attack away from home and when we have it, we lose it. We do not even have 2-3 minutes of territory or where we just keep it. The players just know they are inferior to the opposition.

There is an argument about whether they are as bad as they are showing and maybe they can do better? I completely understand the talk of changing the manager and if he went, I would not be in uproar. He knows he cannot keep losing. He knows even with the cards he has been dealt and selling his best players and not giving him a proper chance, that he would have expected us to be more competitive than this? I understand the argument as despite everything that has happened – he is now probably the only thing we can realistically change. I feel sorry for him if it happens. He seems a good guy and maybe you an argue he could be out of his depth but has never been given a proper chance I feel. We had a game plan around two of our better/best players in Ndiaye and Berge. The minute they are sold then that is gone and we almost have to start again. The team with those two and additions probably goes down. As soon as they go and we bring in Championship replacements/punts, then we have little to no chance. The embargo, what happened before the season and all the off-field stuff, he has dealt with in a classy and professional way but ultimately he will know regardless of all that, if we keep losing, he will probably go. Not sure what the plan is after that as we had that press conference which talked about Hecky being part of a long-term plan but I do get that a club cannot keep watching it’s team lose and so easily. I can fully understand why they might have to change it now. I am not saying we have to do it. I can see the argument for giving him games against weaker teams (still better than us) but equally can see the logic of getting someone in before these games and giving it a fresh voice/ideas. I am not sure it will change much if anything. We are going down for me, no matter what. That sounds defeatist but is where we are at. We may see a short term uplift and maybe we get some belief which we need but I think even with a change we would be having the same chat in a few months about the team and players just not being good enough.

I do accept that our style of play and how we approach things has to change. Our mentality is just to hang on. It is incredibly negative. We are defensive but not even defending well and are getting pumped playing this way. So, we have to do something different. Maybe we can’t? Maybe this manager/ a new manager cannot get a set of players (not helped by at least 3 starters being out injured – for all the talk of the injury list – not sure any of the rest actually get in outside of Egan, Anel and McBurnie – granted give us more depth?) to do much better but I absolutely see why people are frustrated. I think we would still lose most weeks and still get some batterings but the players are not winning battles and seem to be really low in confidence. I understand that a new manager/coaching team ‘might’ just give them that belief. I do not buy that over a period of time, it will make much difference though. Ultimately we need new ownership/fresh funds to compete. Without it, the managerial change will paper over the bigger cracks.

All the Wilder talk is nonsensical for me. I think people are looking at it with nostalgia and remembering his amazing tenure. I get that but he failed at the end with us (with a similar sort of group/situation) and then failed at Boro/Watford. Not one club in the top 2 leagues would probably take him at the moment? If it was say a Luton or Burnley who sacked their manger and took him, you would think what are they doing? I loved Wilder’s period and he brought so many happy memories but this idea he is suddenly going to turn this around by shouting and screaming is not going to wash for me. He struggled tactically at the end and seemed to have no real other plan after teams worked out how to stop the first one. His main other strength was man management. He might be more of a personality than Hecky but short term it wears off and some of the players will remember the public bashings he gave them before. If we change it, we should look elsewhere for me. Do not know who but we are still for now, a Premier League club and still should be attractive for some. I get the idea that if we wait and say lose the next 3 or 4, then at that point, a change becomes a bit pointless. I do understand the argument that if we are going to do it, we do it now. In an ideal world, Hecky would remain and get results in the next few but even I am not sure that will happen now so I probably expect a change in the next week but feel it is harsh in many ways on Hecky (yes results scream out I know). To me the biggest thing is next season and planning for where we go next. Ultimately we knew we might go down but wanted to be able to bounce back. We need to see the best of players like Hamer and Souza (Archer and McAtee are not going to be here – I’d send them both back in January if we are as good as down) and try and see if some of the other development players can erm…develop. At the moment the club would be rock bottom if they went down with the lowest number of points and not sure many would think we would just bounce back. We saw that last time with probably better players in my opinion (as I say, Archer and McAtee won’t be here) and more experienced players definitely who were near the bottom of the Championship.

It is going to be an interesting week but feel the mood music is something might happen now.

Ratings:

Foderingham 4/10 – He is now starting to struggle and making mistakes after a good start and being one of our best players. Suppose weight of pressure is starting to tell. No chance on most of the goals and did make some good saves in between the goals going in but he also was horribly at fault for the second where he just dropped it and killed the game. The third he also kicked it straight to them and they came back and scored. He is badly exposed but also showing what he is, an average Championship keeper.

Bogle 2/10 – Someone said it the other week but it’s like that cartoon film, Space Jam where the aliens have took his power and he cannot run/kick it or do much of anything. The only comparison I can make is Enda a few years ago. He never has been much good at defending and today he gave so much room down that side (you could see it time after time as we were sat down near his side) and never stopped the cross or his man. Going forward he offers nothing but you can argue that is the set up. He seems to have lost all his physicality (was a quick-ish athlete who dribbled and a decent footballer?). Whether it’s the injuries or loss of confidence, he is showing nothing. Out of contract end of the season (and he and Lowe – who cost us 10 million combined will move on for nothing you would think. Two years ago he looked a really good young player and one to build on but now he looks a player who might head down the pyramid quite quickly (See Kieron Freeman – now at Oldham!).

Thomas 4/10 – I have been critical of him and today he made mistakes and stood off but was weirdly better than he has been and at least got his foot in, made a few interceptions, and looked like he showed some heart. He was not the worst player today but still looked out of his depth at this level. That sums up how bad we are/were.

Robinson 5.5/10 – Our best outfield player by virtue of the fact he got his foot in and made some interceptions at least. First half he was the one who made two good tackles or got across and stopped them getting in. Nketiah was on Trusty much of the time but he too was guilty second half of standing off but the players in front were not protecting the defence at all. Been our best outfield player this season but even he is only a 5-7/10 at best – so that sums up how poor we/the rest have been. Least he shows some pride and was still chasing at the end.

Trusty 4/10 – In general play he did some ok things and made a few tackles/blocks but his man scored a hat trick and given a bit of a going over on the first goal. He kept plugging away but he lacks pace and Arsenal’s more technical players were too quick/skilled at times. He is not great on the ball and another guilty of just kicking it away rather than trying to keep it.

Souza 4/10 – I thought he wasn’t the worst midfielder but still sat off too much and does a lot of pointing. He is a big lad but does not play like it and seems to not really want to press/get stuck in when I see him. I think it does not help we have no legs around him really so he is supposed to be a sitter but then had to get about too. He was ok last week but today they just passed round our midfield and he and others did not get close to them really. Not quite the player we thought we were getting in terms of the big, intimidating physical midfielder who would protect the defence. Just seems a bit of a nothing player. I think if he was not called Souza and had dyed hair and was called John Smith signed from the UK, he’d be getting a lot more stick? Maybe that is not correct but how I feel in. Another poor signing that is not up to this level really. If we go down, expect him to be moved on but we will lose money on him if he goes back to the continent unless he improves.

Norwood 2/10 – An awful game. He just kicked it when he had it and then out of possession he was blowing as early as the first 5 minutes. Arsenal are full of strong and mobile athletes and he looked like he was in a different sport. It almost seemed unfair. We had none of the ball in midfield – expect not to have much – but we had none of it! When he gets it he does not even keep it and played some stupid balls down the line that just gave it back to them. He is not offering anything at the moment and the way other teams’ midfields completely dominate means we surely need to try something/someone different but not sure we have anyone! His interview after was a tough take as he basically had no answers.

Slimane 2.5/10 – Not sure he was even playing. Seriously. Looked way out of his depth but not helped by him playing in a sort of left-wing position? He was on the far side from us so maybe that did not help but he did not do much defensively to stop them nor did he engage in many challenges. On the ball I did not see him at all apart from passing it to them twice. The signings of him, Larouci, Traore and Souza all look a complete waste of funds so far and questions have to be asked of our scouting network if this is the best we can find for the Premier League which is a very attractive league? I get this ‘development’ talk but I have seen very little in any of these players to say they will be part of a long-term future at the Blades. The Championship is even more physical and these lads lack the fitness/mobility and power needed for English football. Larouci for all the flack is the only one that has shown flashes actually!

McAtee 2/10 – His re-signing so far has been a mistake and like Thomas and Larouci, waste of loan spots when we needed some physicality and players who can compete at this level. A ball player who we envisaged would help us get up the field and keep it and maybe create? He has not been in games at all and when he had it (a few times first half today) he just got outmuscled. Looks just like the lad we saw to start last season and he will probably wonder why he came back as in the Champ with Leicester he would got on the ball and been more effective. He would be ok at a team who has a lot of the ball maybe but we won’t have much of it and when he gets it, he has to protect it more.

Hamer 3.5/10 – Started well with the goals but another whose confidence seems to be draining. Now been shunted out wide as we had to change formation due to injuries. He did a few ok things first half and felt he was the one at least trying to get on it but as the game went on, his lack of fitness and ability to last at this level showed again as he disappeared. Second half I did not even notice him (or many of the rest really). Another who is probably thinking he might have made a mistake coming here? Granted if he wants to show he can play at this level he has to do better. That’s the thing, all these players, Anel, Hamer, McAtee, Archer – all aspiring to be Premier League players but none shown they are close to this and all look decent to good Champ players as their ceiling – granted all four are young and could develop but there is a reason none of them were wanted by other Premier League teams and the sum of their interest was Championship sides.

Brewster 2/10 – May seem harsh as he had little service and the way we set up did not allow him to really get any chances but he barely kicked the ball, did not particularly work hard and I felt looked badly unfit (granted been out a while). He is getting back to fitness but we saw at this level before, he is just not at the level for the top flight in terms of ability. When he came off 2nd half, I forgot he was even playing to be honest. Says a lot about Archer that he has already been dropped for him too.

Subs –

Archer 3/10 – He at least touched it more than Brewster I thought (although some of them were kick offs!) but we were just defending and he like Brewster did get any ball. Another that needs to at least press or harry and not sure he or Brewster do that.

Osborn 2/10 – Came on and got booked but barely noticed him really. At that point we were chasing shadows. Should be nowhere near a Premier League squad.

Baldock 4/10 – At least won a tackle and showed some energy but they continued to attack any way they wanted so it was hard for him.

Fleck 2/10 – At this point the game was done but another who just stood off as they walked through us.

One – Big lad but felt sorry for him as he was thrown as we were trying to keep the score down at this point rather than trying to attack.

Manager: Heckingbottom 1/10 – We lost 5-0 and just imploded 2nd half. We did not look close to even competing. We did start ok for 20 minutes but the way we set up even then just invited pressure. I had no issues with the team selection – not sure he could do much more and I would have tried to pack the midfield as he did. In the end we just were waiting for the goal and then we just sort of folded after this. The second half was painful to watch. It was a complete non event and just became damage limitation. He will know that the pressure is mounting but as I have discussed I have some sympathy in terms of the overall situation. I do think tactically and how we are setting up is giving us no chance to even compete but maybe that is down to the players he has?
Agree with a lot of this. But a couple of things I would highlight. Brewster did a LOT better leading the line than Archer. Archer cannot lead the lean, Brewster at least put in an OK effort and connected play a bit. I'd stick with him ahead of Archer for the moment.

Norwood did well the first half, though it was more on the defensive side. He did a lot of the defensive work that you would expect Souza to do, blocking, heading tackling. I really don't know what the point of Souza is. Norwood is better at the defensive work, and obviously head and shoulders better with the ball.

Slimane didn't pull up any trees, but he was at least the most effective wide player who played on the day (McAtee, Osborn, Fleck).

Man Utd still scored 3 in that game, it was away at the Dell.

I'd pay good money to suggest we won't score 3 in an away league game all season.

In fact when was last time we scored 3 away in the prem??
2 October 1993, when we drew 3-3 at Southampton.

Hi Stegosaurus here

It was a training session for Arsenal. Men against boys.

We'd have been better off not showing up and taking the 3-0 defeat. Makes me feel embarassed to be a Sheffield fan. I am considering supporting my second team, Aston Villa from now on.

Back
Top Bottom