Are we really that bad?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Isn't there a simple dynamic?
Every Blade who is watching the game on a screen, or following the game on an App, would prefer to be at the game.
No Blade who is at the game would prefer to be watching on a screen.

Or, am I still misunderstanding? Do some fans, who have a choice, deliberately choose a screen?

I love being at Bramall Lane. And I'm sure if I lived in Sheffield there would be a budget for a ST every year.

However it is what it is. There is no entitlement to superior opinion if you're sat at home watching it on your phone or sat behind the dugout in BDTBL. I acknowledge that. It's a shame some others see their presence at games as a mark of qualification and credibility and readily weaponise that spitefully when they see 'an outsider' criticise a player they like. It's almost personalised. It was at it's worst with Norwood when he was picked yet game after game showing real liability in the middle of the park. 'What fucking game were you watching?' was the usual response. 'Norwood was fucking immense' yet all I saw was him coughing up possession and doing the hackneyed old move of receiving the ball off Egan and booting it out to marked wingbacks. Yet it's as though Norwood had fifty dads on here, all ready to pitch in and defend their son's integrity. It's somewhat strange now to see that at last we have someone who can play in his position (and fuck me hasn't Hecky dicked about with Doyle before biting the bullet and finally dropping Norwood and putting the youngster in there?) there's a general appreciation of a central midfield playmaker who gets himself about, gets into tackles, breaks up play, moves with the ball and shows real capability and almost never wastefully whacks it over to Lowe or Baldock being closed down and having to come backwards. But over four years I have been watching Norwood do the same schtick from my TV screen and those at the game tell me I don't see what he REALLY does. When I ask, they come out with the same old tropes of him 'making the team tick' and 'when he plays well, United play well'. What is evident from my sofa is when teams like Burnley forgot to close him down and put pressure on him, he can appear to be mercurial, but every other time when teams close him down he's unproductive and frightened to take players on and eventually fucks up. Then they'll come out with 'stats' like 'successful passes made' like it means 'goals'. In truth most of these are triangular sideways and backward passes between he and the centre backs. The bloke can't put a killer pass in or is very hit and miss with his distribution into the box onto the heads of the strikers, Especially McB who is a good header of the ball (as we saw when Bash found him).

All in all, I still don't see why people who attend matches have such a bad opinion of those who watch it elsewhere and display an air of entitlement about 'the truth' in game. It's almost inverted snobbery. Sure, if I lived in Sheffield and chose to forgo every chance to be at Bramall Lane there's maybe a point but even then, there is no compulsion to go and similarly no rule on here that says 'no match write ups unless you attend or meet a general match attendance threshold'. Where do you go with that? Well, you alienate most every Blade outside reasonable reach of the ground and that is flatline discrimination.

pommpey

Who I think we have the potential to be better than:
  • Luton/Coventry - tough season ahead for either of those two, will need very good recruitment
  • Burnley - I don't think their style of play will be as effective next season - they'll be trying to out-football better football teams
  • Bournemouth - nothing club, boring and will be down there again
  • Leeds - they don't have an identity or fixed style of play right now - will be a big transition for them if them stick with Allardyce
Possibles:
  • Fulham - can see them having a drop off after a very good start to this season
  • Palace - their success appears dependent on keeping Zaha and/or Hodgson - tough to make a call on them this side of summer
  • And the basket case clubs - Forest, West Ham & Everton. Forest's recruitment policy is ridiculous, but they have a very good manager. West Ham's love/hate relationship with Moyes could blow up at any time and they'll be losing Rice. Everton are skint and have overpaid for an average squad, but have an effective manager in Dyce.
I expect us to finish bottom five, but hopeful it won't be bottom three. We'll be better than the team that got relegated - we've already got a better team on paper, we've got the huge factor of the Bramall Lane crowd back in the stands & Heckingbottom is a very competent manager.

* Without Ndiaye we're screwed 😂

I’ve got absolutely no expectations for next season, and I dont mean that in a bad way, I mean it in the sense that, I’m happy to sit back and enjoy the ride.

I can never get my head around people who dont like the Premier League or say they would prefer to be in the Championship. The matchday experience far surpasses anything we experience in the Champ. Every game feels absolutely massive.

By the looks of it, our success will be determined by the ability of our existing players to step up to Premier League level. Theres a few in there who we know can play, some who could but arent getting any younger and some who have shown enough at Championship level to potentially be good enough.

This is the third time I’ve seen us promoted to the Prem and on paper this is the best squad of players we have had before any recruitment has taken place. I’m not expecting any top half finishes or marches towards the European places but I think we should give ourselves the opportunity of avoiding relegation.

The big concern is obviously the rumour that there is only £20million to spend. It’s not great if true, however, it might just be a case of keeping heads above water until christmas in the hope that the takeover is completed and we can strengthen the squad in January. Hecky and his team have shown they can recruit well. Anel, McAtee and Doyle is more than enough evidence of that. Making use of loans and bargains from abroad is going to be imperative for us again. If we get that right, we’ve got a chance.

There’s also the factor of the crowd. I dont think that can ever been under-estimated. There’s a few teams in the Prem that I will always fancy us against at the Lane. Spurs, Arsenal (maybe not so much this time round) this current crop of Chelsea, bring them the fuck on in front of a full house at the Lane.

12 wins gets us in the game for staying up. Thats 36 points, not taking into account draws. It’s too early to say how achievable that is, however, you would expect that its certainly within the realms of possibility. It was the awful start that saw us relegated last time. Avoid anything like that and I think you’ll see the confidence grow through the season.

Back
Top Bottom