Approach to the remaining games

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Champagneblade

Reaction score
I’d say we have some 11 games to somehow at least regain some credibility with the fans. Arguably it’s too late but we can’t have no plan for the rest of the season (though you could argue this matches the plan for the first 27 matches!).

I didn’t think he’d be my go to point of reference, but Steve Bruce was quick to acknowledge Newcastle’s lack of quality and set up accordingly. Yes he got criticised, but a poor playing staff didn’t go down when playing 5-4-1; they did get enough results. Same here.

I’d also like to see some new lads give game time.

Maybe next game has to be defensive and a bit spoilery:

Grbic/Wes
Baldock Holgate Ahmedhodzic Robinson Osborn
Bogle Souza Arblaster Brooks
McAtee

That’s a back 5, it’s then Bogle and Brooks on the sides of a midfield 4 to help nullify some of the wide threats from Bournemouth and then give Arblaster his first Prem start alongside Souza.

Up front, I find it hard to leave out McAtee. Yes he’s not a striker we can boot it up to, but he showed he can play with intelligence as the furthest forward when we were down to 10 against Brighton.

Not ideal but everyone else is injured.

Depending on how the game is going, can always take off Brooks or Bogle and put him wide and bring on a McBurnie or a Brereton-Diaz or Osula.

I just feel we need to play the percentages and be a bit of a spoiler.

We wasted so much of the season being far too naive, thinking we could go toe to toe with teams. We can’t. The players are not up to that. We need to focus on making it difficult and then perhaps sucked punching the opposition.

In my opinion we should have been looking at 3-5-1-1 with McAtee in the Ndiaye role or 5-4-1.

We’ve simply been far too expansive and overrated our chances in games.

We’ve hardly ever spoiled a game and nicked a point. It’s all been fair too gung-ho and lacking control.

Think we need to acknowledge our limitations better in future.

Whether intentionally or not, Wilder did this by having Lundstram in a flat three but then McGoldrick as a link player.

We’ve just been incredibly naive from top to bottom and we’ve completely misread what losing Ndiaye has done to the team as well as replacing him with players who are not positionally the same.

I’d say we have some 11 games to somehow at least regain some credibility with the fans. Arguably it’s too late but we can’t have no plan for the rest of the season (though you could argue this matches the plan for the first 27 matches!).

I didn’t think he’d be my go to point of reference, but Steve Bruce was quick to acknowledge Newcastle’s lack of quality and set up accordingly. Yes he got criticised, but a poor playing staff didn’t go down when playing 5-4-1; they did get enough results. Same here.

Grbic/Wes
McAtee

That’s a back 5, it’s then Bogle and Brooks on the sides of a midfield 4 to help nullify some of the wide threats from Bournemouth and then give Arblaster his first Prem start alongside Souza.

Up front, I find it hard to leave out McAtee. Yes he’s not a striker we can boot it up to, but he showed he can play with intelligence as the furthest forward when we were down to 10 against Brighton.

Depending on how the game is going, can always take off Brooks or Bogle and put him wide and bring on a McBurnie or a Brereton-Diaz or Osula.

We wasted so much of the season being far too naive, thinking we could go toe to toe with teams. We can’t. The players are not up to that. We need to focus on making it difficult and then perhaps sucked punching the opposition.

In my opinion we should have been looking at 3-5-1-1 with McAtee in the Ndiaye role or 5-4-1.

We’ve hardly ever spoiled a game and nicked a point. It’s all been fair too gung-ho and lacking control.

Whether intentionally or not, Wilder did this by having Lundstram in a flat three but then McGoldrick as a link player.

We’ve just been incredibly naive from top to bottom and we’ve completely misread what losing Ndiaye has done to the team as well as replacing him with players who are not positionally the same.

I'd not have Macca running himself into the floor up front. If Diaz is fit enough he should start up top.

Grbic/Wes
McAtee

Expansive were have we been expansive last night we played with a bank of 4-5-1 then changed that around to 5-4-1 Don't think it matters we don't have one defensive quality player for this level- the way we get out muscled out run and out thought, it was obvious to the eye last season that we needed a big defensive upgrade

I can’t even be arsed to type this but Holgate is still suspended for the next game isn’t he

I wouldn’t play anyone who won’t be here next season unless we literally have no other options. It’s a waste of time.

If they wanted to be here they’d have signed a new deal. Many of those that haven’t now have two car crash seasons in the Premier League on their cv and the majority are also at or above 30 years old and past their prime.

Our credibility is gone. Salvaging some trace of dignity is all we can hope.

Hi Stegosaurus here

Probably be less embarassing for us to not show up and take the 3-0 defeat.

In seriousness, if I was Wilder, I would just drop the lot and play the Under 21s--get them some important match experience and teach a lesson to the useless first team.

Wilder needs to decide what kind of character and spirit the younger players have. We know some have real good potential but will they be impacted by playing against top players and in a side likely to lose every week, and sometimes very heavily?

If the answer is no, I'd be happy to see Arbie, Brooksy, Osula etc play regularly now.

At least the fans will back them as we saw later in the game last night.

Go all out to avoid humiliations and play the youngsters in the games we can be more competitive in. Don't play Norwood another minute. Try to get 20 points

Osula, brooks, Arblaster starting.
Get Sydie Peck playing and his fitness up.
There should be no stress or pressure now, we are down, and destined for some more beatings, so just accept them and gain some playing time.

I think there needs to be some sort of unwritten contract drawn up now.

Scratch a team together with those who are sticking around and fill the rest of the slots with kids.

Our side of the deal is we accept they're probably lambs to the slaughter, probably not ready, maybe some will never be capable of the level we're asking them to play at - but we stand behind them 100% for the rest of the season because they've stepped forward to take the punches and committed to whatever happens next.

If that means senior pros sitting in the stand, so be it.

I think there needs to be some sort of unwritten contract drawn up now.

Scratch a team together with those who are sticking around and fill the rest of the slots with kids.

Our side of the deal is we accept they're probably lambs to the slaughter, probably not ready, maybe some will never be capable of the level we're asking them to play at - but we stand behind them 100% for the rest of the season because they've stepped forward to take the punches and committed to whatever happens next.

If that means senior pros sitting in the stand, so be it.

I am sure there was an 'unwritten contract' with Hecky for him to stay until the end of the season.

When it comes to the Prince I think the players and in particular the kids should get advice.

I wouldn’t play anyone who won’t be here next season unless we literally have no other options. It’s a waste of time.

If they wanted to be here they’d have signed a new deal. Many of those that haven’t now have two car crash seasons in the Premier League on their cv and the majority are also at or above 30 years old and past their prime.
This is spot on and I’m pretty sure that Wilder would love to take that approach. Unfortunately we have so many players in the “out of the door” category or injured, he is completely stuck.
We can load up with youngsters - and we have some very good ones - but there’s a risk that we kill their confidence too.
It’s a delicate balance and I think Wilder will try to do exactly what you suggest as far as he can.

Our approach is something I've said before.

KEEP IT TIGHT AT THE BACK.

Target 11 scoreless draws and finish with 24 points.

Try to finish 19th & play with some professional pride instead of what’s currently happening. Mentality of some of these players is shocking and I’m mostly disappointed in Trusty who talks a good game but has mentally given up alongside Anel and a good few others.

No point playing effectively a back six with no forward in the side, we need to keep the ball away from our goal, not invite pressure with an ultra-negative line-up that would still let 5 or 6 in. Trying to keep it tight leaves us completely exposed and clueless as soon as we go behind, we were keeping it tight and trying to hit them on the counter yesterday, that went well.

We had a system that briefly kind of worked with McAtee right and BBD (or Archer) left of a front three, go back to that, with Osula in the middle in Archer's absence, McBurnie as an alternative.

Midfield should be Davies, Arblaster and one of Souza, Hamer or Brooks, with Osborn as backup, get Norwood trained up to work in catering or something.

Defence is obviously still the problem as Bogle, Ahmedhodzic and Trusty should be nowhere near the side and Holgate is shit. If we're playing 4-3-3, Robinson is the only remotely credible option for left back, Baldock would be right back but it leaves limited options for the middle, Holgate and Anel would have to play in the middle by default because Trusty is so bad (don't care if he's under contract for next season he's a liability who just fills space without ever actually marking a player).

Goalkeeper they're both shit, I have more faith in Amissah and I've only seen him play twice.

The alternative is no main striker, McAtee and BBD running inside right and left channels with wingbacks doing what they're supposed to do and actually playing as part of the midfield, not sitting back in a back five. Osborn would be default left wing back, either Baldock or Bogle on the right, with Robinson at centre back with Holgate and either Baldock or Anel depending on who is deemed the least shit option out of Bogle and Ahmedhodzic.

Either way, have a go, try to actually compete for the ball and attack together rather than overly-optimistic solo efforts while everyone else stays in their own half chasing shadows. The defenders are all hopeless liabilities, so instead of negative tactics that rely on them, keep the ball as far away from those twats as possible, we're more likely to get to 20 points by winning three games than deliberately setting out to try to draw seven.

Objective one - get more than 20 points
Objective two - finish above Burnley

First thing that needs to change for me is the standoffishness at the back which has happened all season. They just stand there and in fear of committing to a tackle and being exposed, they stand there, let the attacker get a shot away and concede anyway. Might as well let goals in trying to stop them than make no attempt whatsoever. Souza, I'm looking at you, you great lazy, dopey lump.

Longer term - we need to establish some sort of system or style of play and establish who will be here and who won't. Last night might have spelled the end of Norwood which, while he's served us well, is one like a few others who outstayed their welcome.

Not a lot of point in Wilder (if he sticks around) binning half the squad off and getting his own people in only to get off to a bad start next season and get the boot after half a dozen games and have a repeat of the Micky Adams relegation shambles, only without having Chris Wilder to rescue us from League One.

It's worth a try

Attachments

• Messenger_creation_02ec88c5-866d-40ae-a479-14d17bb4e7a7.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_02ec88c5-866d-40ae-a479-14d17bb4e7a7.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 8
I can’t believe that Holgate has missed a couple and turned into our best defender by default 🤣

For the home ones it'll be either walking down Shoreham Street from the station or from the general direction of the Moor if I've been in town.

Next game Wilder tells them that he will play anyone who will forfeit wages if we let 5 or more in, that will find out the true committed ... If any ...and who we want to keep

Back
Top Bottom