Apparently we copied Wolves...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

GymClassHero

Reaction score
Been having a read of some comments on the HYS section on a BBC article about us (I know, amazingly the BBC have noticed our existence!) and a few cheeky Wolves fans are claiming we 'copied' the overlapping CB tactic from Nuno Espirito Santo and his Wolves team!

To my knowledge Wilder was here near on a year prior to Santos at Wolves, unless someone cares to correct me?

Really makes me laugh how many salty fans there are over the fact we are 6th with a team a fraction of theirs' price. I have nowt against Wolves and thought they had a fine season last year and so far this, as well as playing some great football - but still with a vastly superior budget to our own. Veered slightly off topic but people just can't seem to accept that an English bloke from Yorkshire is behind one of the most inventive and original ways of playing football since Pep. (I personally rate Wilder's more highly because he doesn't need multi million pound starts to do it).

I don't think Wolves' wide CBs overlap - certainly not as often as ours do.

Brighton, on the other hand - Dan Burn's heatmap is surprisingly similar to JOC's

Wolves are as tactically rigid team.as I've ever seen ,very disciplined and very talented but they don't overlap or fluidly change positions like we do

he joined wolves in time for 2017/18

JOC and gang have been overlapping since 2016/17. Not to say someone else was doing it before but not at wolves

How long you been into fluid change positions Ed and can you tell us (me) what you do, thanks in advance

Wolves fans are up there with some of the most arrogant fans I’ve ever met and I wish them nothing but failure.

I've generally found them reyt tbf. Can't say there's any particular set of opposition fans I like but don't have any beef with Wolves. Actually quite pleased for any less fashionable club that fucks up the top six.

Arrogant or unintelligible..?
Haha not proper Yams I know, just have this arrogant swagger and it was all (Championship season) you’ve not sold out, we sold out 2nd day’, ‘we’ll batter them’, ‘you’re shit you can’t beat them’ etc. etc. type stuff. I’ve moved jobs now but I really hope we stick it to them on Sunday.

I’m sure there’s some decent ones about but not what I’ve experienced.

I've generally found them reyt tbf. Can't say there's any particular set of opposition fans I like but don't have any beef with Wolves. Actually quite pleased for any less fashionable club that fucks up the top six.
True but they’ve got top 6 backing and some. Take you’re point but I actually find Man City fans less arrogant.

fairly sure Burn is playing LB in a back 4 though.
Ah, just had a check and you're right. Earlier in the season they were playing with wing-backs and Burn was on the left of a 3, but looks like they switched a few weeks ago

I think the difference is CW uses overlapping centre backs AND overlapping wing backs AND overlapping supporting midfielders on BOTH sides. No other team does that as far as I know.

Wolves have mega backing behind them and one of the, if not THE most influential agent in the game. They've almost been spoonfed their top 6 status.

Been having a read of some comments on the HYS section on a BBC article about us (I know, amazingly the BBC have noticed our existence!) and a few cheeky Wolves fans are claiming we 'copied' the overlapping CB tactic from Nuno Espirito Santo and his Wolves team!

To my knowledge Wilder was here near on a year prior to Santos at Wolves, unless someone cares to correct me?

Really makes me laugh how many salty fans there are over the fact we are 6th with a team a fraction of theirs' price. I have nowt against Wolves and thought they had a fine season last year and so far this, as well as playing some great football - but still with a vastly superior budget to our own. Veered slightly off topic but people just can't seem to accept that an English bloke from Yorkshire is behind one of the most inventive and original ways of playing football since Pep. (I personally rate Wilder's more highly because he doesn't need multi million pound starts to do it).
Spartak Moscow did it first. Samuels said so on sunday supplement :D

We started it on 3 September 2016. I think. Gillingham away.

But maybe it doesn't count because it was in League One?
Unusually for me, I can say I was there...that away end is a safety hazard but it was worth risking it to see the start of something special...

Their fans do remind me of Wednesday fans (I wonder why?), so not at all surprised really.

Grandad - "I hate the way the media marvell at Chris Basham and Jack O'Connell as overlapping centre backs as though it's something new and innovative. Back in my day we had a world class pair called Mark Beevers and Richard Wood. We'd turned down 20m for the pair from Europes top clubs. Those two were the original overlapping centre halves and they'd be worth about 200m in today's market."

Son - Wow, I really wish I could have seen these players Grandad.

Listen, it can't have been Chris Wilder and Alan Knill who first thought of the idea of overlapping centre backs, have we all forgotten they are English?? Jeez, the next thing you'll be telling me is he's guided a team mostly including British players from League one and the Championship to 6th in the Premier League, while hardly spending anything!!! Get with the program, you can only be revolutionary if you are foreign!!!!

My opinion on this would be that they can get fucking rodded.

Back
Top Bottom