Any Advice for an American Fan?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

beaubro

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

In 2019 my best friend (a former collegiate player in the U.S.) encouraged me to get into EFL and Premier League teams. I was a wrestler through school and college and I never played "soccer." So I will admit that my interest in the sport was pretty limited. My wife was also a player through her schooling days so I figured I'd need to learn about the sport. So I felt my first task was picking a team.

When I asked my friend how to pick a team to support, he told me to watch matches and that "you'll know it in your heart." I am not a fair-weather fan so when I find a team to support I am all-in for better and for worse. I spent the summer before the 2020 season reading about the teams and discovered SUFC. Within a few minutes reading about the team and history I was hooked. I am an engineer for a large U.S. steel manufacturing mill so SUFC's connection to the steel industry was exciting. I was also drawn to SUFC because it didn't seem like a big money team that draws a lot of bang-wagon support. Watching the relegation at the end of 2021 didn't phase me either. Keeping up with the team through the Championship and watching the promotion was even more exciting.

So, what advice does anyone here for a new-ish fan of SUFC? What are some things I should know, watch or read up on? Hopefully someday culminating in a match in-person at Bramall Lane someday. I was supposed to travel to London at the end of last season with my friend to watch a few matches of the FA Cup. We were going to attend the match vs Man City, but I had to change plans last minute (when you have a baby it gets a bit harder to travel.)

Open to any insight or chat!

Hello everyone,

In 2019 my best friend (a former collegiate player in the U.S.) encouraged me to get into EFL and Premier League teams. I was a wrestler through school and college and I never played "soccer." So I will admit that my interest in the sport was pretty limited. My wife was also a player through her schooling days so I figured I'd need to learn about the sport. So I felt my first task was picking a team.

When I asked my friend how to pick a team to support, he told me to watch matches and that "you'll know it in your heart." I am not a fair-weather fan so when I find a team to support I am all-in for better and for worse. I spent the summer before the 2020 season reading about the teams and discovered SUFC. Within a few minutes reading about the team and history I was hooked. I am an engineer for a large U.S. steel manufacturing mill so SUFC's connection to the steel industry was exciting. I was also drawn to SUFC because it didn't seem like a big money team that draws a lot of bang-wagon support. Watching the relegation at the end of 2021 didn't phase me either. Keeping up with the team through the Championship and watching the promotion was even more exciting.

So, what advice does anyone here for a new-ish fan of SUFC? What are some things I should know, watch or read up on? Hopefully someday culminating in a match in-person at Bramall Lane someday. I was supposed to travel to London at the end of last season with my friend to watch a few matches of the FA Cup. We were going to attend the match vs Man City, but I had to change plans last minute (when you have a baby it gets a bit harder to travel.)

Welcome Beaubro!

Always refer to us as "Sheffield United, or "The Blades". NEVER "Sheffield". :)

10/10 for Bramall Lane, not Bramhall.

Small points - but they sort the wheat from the chaff.

Off topic - which steel mill do you work for, by the way?

Hello everyone,

Yank , is that you?

Hello everyone,

Welcome aboard to the rollercoaster that is being a Blades fan.
You've picked a good team to feel the highs and the lows of being a real football fan!
You also need to learn the English way, we aren't as enthusiastic or positive as Americans, and reading people on here can be a bit off putting at times! But at matches, when the crowd are up and at it, there's nothing like it.
Hope you can make it over soon. Where are you from?

Welcome to the forum!

There's some American fans on here Nessman930 JimPhipps who may be able to help you over that side of the pond!

You've chosen well. Life as a Blades fan is never dull!! Loads of ups and downs!

Hello everyone,

Don’t get your hopes up.

Hello everyone,

Welcome aboard the good ship SUFC.
Things you should know…..
  1. You’ve selected your team well.
  2. Wednesday are shit.
  3. Expect a wild ride of ups & downs.
  4. Signing up for this forum will test your sanity, patience, life-choices & tolerance of others.
  5. Wednesday are shit.
  6. We ain’t got a barrel of money.
  7. Programmes are £3.50.
  8. Have I mentioned Wednesday are shit yet?
  9. Subscribe to Sheff Utd Way & Shoreham View on YouTube. Other channels are available.
  10. And most importantly, cheese with fruit in is the way forward.
  11. Oh, and Wednesday are shit.
Hope that helps. Up The Blades!

Hello everyone,

There's a couple of nice videos in this thread for you

Thread 'The BBC’s pre-match montage (SUFC vs Spurs)'

Welcome to the family.⚔️
Here's to all our new American Blades and to those we lost along the way.
21121.jpg

🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️🕯️

Hello everyone,

We have a few Americans on the forum already, as well as a handful of ex-pat Brits living in the US.

Whereabouts in the US are you located?

If you're close to the Canadian border, we could maybe meet up for a game. Still trying to find some blades this side of the pond.

We have a few Americans on the forum already, as well as a handful of ex-pat Brits living in the US.

Whereabouts in the US are you located?
I'm gonna sayyyyyy Birmingham.

Very simple, but your calander needs to be changed at work, you'll now be working : Mundy, Tuesdy, Thursdy eve, Thursdy, Fridy, and having the weekend : Satdy, Sundy off.

2. Wednesday are shit.
  4. Signing up for this forum will test your sanity, patience, life-choices & tolerance of others.
  5. Wednesday are shit.
  7. Programmes are £3.50.
  9. Subscribe to Sheff Utd Way & Shoreham View on YouTube. Other channels are available.
  1. You’ve selected your team badly.
  2. Wednesday are massive.
  3. Expect a wild ride of downs & downs.
  5. Wednesday are still massive.
  7. Programmes should not be more than 3 quid.
  8. Have I mentioned Wednesday are massive yet?
  9. Don't subscribe to Sheff Utd Way & Shoreham View on YouTube - unless you like people whinging about "trolls" (SUW), or 20 mins of people getting pissed up and swearing a lot (SV)
  10. And most importantly, cooked banana on pizza is a thing.
  11. Oh, and crab industries are legit.

Magnet, maggots, take your pick. Someone will tell you it's the other.

Podcasts:

Bladespod:

Red Half of Sheffield (Chad and Noah are American Blades):

Four Blades in the Pub (on a 'fluid' schedule):

Tufty Club (nb Bettissss is the club's chief executive and 'snecks'=snakes):

They all have their own flavour and style and I enjoy every episode. Some are laugh-out-loud funny.

Thanks for all the great insight so far. The ups and downs make things exciting. I'm all for sticking with it through some real tough times.

alcoblade Thanks for the tips! I work for Nucor.

Berkshire Blade no worries here! I'm just an innocent fan that wants to know more about the team and fans.

Hello everyone,

There’s this…

Thanks for all the great insight so far. The ups and downs make things exciting. I'm all for sticking with it through some real tough times.

Berkshire Blade no worries here! I'm just an innocent fan that wants to know more about the team and fans.
Do you know anybody with $200m who really really wants to get into the club?
Asking for a friend.

Welcome beaubro.

Sheffield is home to one of the fiercest British soccer rivalries there is. Our nemesis of Sheffield Wednesday and the rivalry defines a lot of our identity. The atmosphere and intensity tops any rivalry currently in the Premier League and is second to only Rangers and Celtic up in Scotland IMHO.

Sheffield has an understated history in the formation of football which we don’t shout loudly enough about. Research Sheffield FC and Hallam FC the two oldest football clubs in the world, both playing a semi-professional levels further down the football pyramid. Bramall Lane is one of the oldest professional football grounds in the world and one of a handful which still has an “old school” atmosphere. We’ve got more football history in this city than half the country put together.

Blades Supporters are the rowdier, grumpier, noisier club in the city. Our club is littered with mishaps, clusterfucks, scandals and brief moments of complete ecstasy - pound for pound there isn’t a club in the 92 which has so many unbelievable twists and turns. You’ve picked a good one to follow.

UTB

Suppose the fairly recent slip down to league 1 was the tough times, at 32 I can't say I've ever felt like I'm experiencing the real tough times.

Completely fucking infuriating however...

Welcome fellow American Blade! Always happy to have more yanks as United supporters.

You’ll want to get yourself a shirt from the club shop.

Subscribe to Tufty Club, Bladespod, Red Half of Sheffield (my podcast selfish plug), and 4 Blades in A Pub podcasts

Subscribe to Shoreham View, Sheff United Way and Traveling Blade for excellent YouTube content.

Remember: we hate Wednesday, Leeds are shit, fuck West Ham forever for TevezGate

This season is going to be interesting for one reason or another. Either we will be shit most games or we will be the scrappy plucky underdogs who hopefully take a few scalps of teams who field first teams the value of our entire club multiple times over.

Follow Blades in the USA on Twitter and if you’re in California definitely follow LA Blades on Facebook. We will have a few meetups throughout the year.

2. Wednesday are shit.
  5. Wednesday are shit.
  7. Programmes are £3.50.
12. Alan is a cunt

I have a place in buffalo so was in the same boat when I started watching the bills, go to as many games as you can with people who can talk you through it.

And don't say your wife is a player , it will get picked up on here.😉

Back
Top Bottom