Another Doyle thread?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Maurice Maurice

Reaction score
Towards the end of last season, when Doyle was the lynch pin in midfield, it really did highlight what we're missing. He reminded me of Stuart McCall on speed, or Michael Brown minus the volleys. Did the running, did the stuff that looks easy because he made it look that way, and linked the play better than anyone else in the squad does. Pretty much the complete footballer by the end of the season. Norwood has a decent range of passing but he isn't mobile and can't time a tackle. Not really sure what Fleck offers any more and I'm hoping Slimane can give us something different but I don't see him having the legs or the drive to become that leader. Hope I'm wrong.

For the graft and all round playing ability though, we definitely need a Doyle type of player. I've seen £10million being bandied about and if that's the case, even being skint we should push every boat out we can to get him signed. If we don't have the cash, then we really do need to be scouring the football world for that one special player who can manage the game, but who comes at a price we can afford. There has to be one out there and with the scouting network we have, surely we can find one.

I'm not as doom and gloom as a lot on here, just looking forward to watching my team perform against the cheats and pantomime dames of the Premier League because win, lose or draw, I usually come away proud that we try to play the game right. We have good players, it wouldn't take a lot to make us a very good side.

The way I see it, we either go for a McAtee type and end up very attacking minded, we'll do well against the bottom half and poor against the top half teams. Or we go for Doyle and we end up grinding out a lot of games trying not to concede too much. The more I think about it, the more I'd rather set up to beat weaker teams than to grind results out and be better defensively.

To my mind , our starting 3 in midfield needs to be Berge , Slimane & a new Lfooted Doyle type.
Lfooted because we can’t have all 3 Rfooted and we have to keep our Lfooters Fleck out of the matchday 20 and Osborn out of the starting 11 - neither are good enough for PL.
The others , Norwood , Coulibaly & youngsters might be ok on the bench but not to start.

If we can’t get a Lfooter of Doyle’s quality then the dilemma is to get him and have an unbalanced midfield or accept slightly lower quality (but not Osborn or Fleck) Lfooter like O’Brien.

Anything less than Berge , Slimane & quality new midfielder will find us wanting in the PL.

To my mind , our starting 3 in midfield needs to be Berge , Slimane & a new Lfooted Doyle type.
Lfooted because we can’t have all 3 Rfooted and we have to keep our Lfooters Fleck out of the matchday 20 and Osborn out of the starting 11 - neither are good enough for PL.
The others , Norwood , Coulibaly & youngsters might be ok on the bench but not to start.

If we can’t get a Lfooter of Doyle’s quality then the dilemma is to get him and have an unbalanced midfield or accept slightly lower quality (but not Osborn or Fleck) Lfooter like O’Brien.

Anything less than Berge , Slimane & quality new midfielder will find us wanting in the PL.
for me we still need 2 more midfielders to come in doyle and obrien would be perfect imo

for me we still need 2 more midfielders to come in doyle and obrien would be perfect imo
Doyle and Obrien would be too similar imho.

Need one of them to be in the Mcatee role.... someone like Sebastian Nanasi

Norwood has a decent range of passing but he isn't mobile and can't time a tackle.
He has one of the highest tackling stats in the Championship.

Screenshot_20230730_091331_Chrome.jpg

And this is compared to other Championship midfielders. Tackles and Interceptions are quite literally Ollie Norwood's game.

Screenshot_20230730_091700_Chrome.jpg

Doyle and Obrien would be too similar imho.

Need one of them to be in the Mcatee role.... someone like Sebastian Nanasi

see your point but not so sure think both could fit in to our system think slimane could well be our am this season

Due to apparently not having the proverbial pot to piss in. Doyle is the only realistic one out of the two. Those deluded wankers down the road won’t loan O’Brien to a relegation rival, even though they have convinced themselves they’ll be in the running for a Europa league slot.

Towards the end of last season, when Doyle was the lynch pin in midfield, it really did highlight what we're missing. He reminded me of Stuart McCall on speed, or Michael Brown minus the volleys. Did the running, did the stuff that looks easy because he made it look that way, and linked the play better than anyone else in the squad does. Pretty much the complete footballer by the end of the season. Norwood has a decent range of passing but he isn't mobile and can't time a tackle. Not really sure what Fleck offers any more and I'm hoping Slimane can give us something different but I don't see him having the legs or the drive to become that leader. Hope I'm wrong.

For the graft and all round playing ability though, we definitely need a Doyle type of player. I've seen £10million being bandied about and if that's the case, even being skint we should push every boat out we can to get him signed. If we don't have the cash, then we really do need to be scouring the football world for that one special player who can manage the game, but who comes at a price we can afford. There has to be one out there and with the scouting network we have, surely we can find one.

I'm not as doom and gloom as a lot on here, just looking forward to watching my team perform against the cheats and pantomime dames of the Premier League because win, lose or draw, I usually come away proud that we try to play the game right. We have good players, it wouldn't take a lot to make us a very good side.
I honestly can't see any downsides to signing Doyle, his price seems reasonable and I'm sure his wages are doable.
He clearly loves it here and I've no doubt he'd be a fantastic addition to our premier league squad.
He seems to have a great attitude, would slot seamlessly back in and give the squad a big lift.
Worst case, if we get relegated, we'd make money on him.
So come on Princey, speculate to accumulate.

With the PL 5 substitutes rule and 9 on the bench, we will need to use all the squad as the opposition will. Most are playing a pressure game so high energy players are a must. Good engine players such as Doyle are necessary as are the McAtee types for their calmness in the chaos are essential if we are to survive.

"Stuart McCall on speed" could be one of the greatest descriptions of a player I've seen on here.

It’s a nice turn of phrase but , much as I value his contribution last season , he has a long way to go to reach the standards achieved by S Mc.

At his peak his combination of skill , reading of the game ,bravery and sheer will to win were only matched by a handful that I ever saw .

Even when he played for us in the twilight of his career , he often looked a cut above anyone else on the pitch .

I would like to think that Tommy can ultimately achieve those standards and hope that he does since , even as a loan player , he put his heart and soul into our cause last season and played a big part in the successful outcome .

Last edited:

Slimane is either footed so can play lcm as he's great with both feet and a great dribbler with a good shot would be wasted in the central Norwood role imo, I'd play Slimane on the left and Berge on the right personally

Slimane is either footed so can play lcm as he's great with both feet and a great dribbler with a good shot would be wasted in the central Norwood role imo, I'd play Slimane on the left and Berge on the right personally

If Slimane can play on either flank I would personally play Berge central

see your point but not so sure think both could fit in to our system think slimane could well be our am this season
Also: Ndiaye, Brewster, Traore, Osula, Jebbo, the young lad Marsh, could all conceivably play there. In pre-season players are playing where the squad dictates, but that could all change with 2/3 additions. A front '3' of say McB, Ndiaye and Traore with them all comfortable and rotating 'total football style' between up top or AM could work well.

Back
Top Bottom