An evening with Gary Neville

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sheff de party

Reaction score
Just been to a small gathering with Gary Neville, maybe 50 or so. Very, very nice guy, shook everyone’s hand as they hit the free beer (when he had no need to) and was happy to take part in group chats before his sit-down (big fan of VAR because it will eliminate mistakes he says).

Talked well of his career, Fergie, Ronaldo, Scholes, Giggs, the like. A throughly nice and down to earth chap. Questions at the end and although only 5 got one asked, I’m quite tall and loud so I barged in to ask about the Blades:

Reckons 7-8 sides could go down, obviousy we’re one.

Playing newly promoted sides, Man U would respect and take them just as seriously, including watching videos etc. Might change personell, e.g. if facing 3 large forwards pick taller full backs, but not change approach to match.

Thinks there are two ways to go when you go up. Spend big and get absolute quality (like Wolves), but accepts its a risk (like Fulham). Or try and skimp through and don’t get players without massive wage cuts if you go down.

His view is to follow Burnley model and get enough quality / wage sensibility to stay up without breaking bank.

Also touched on north south divide and said it’s sad that Yorkshire and North East have been so unsuccessful. Reckons people just don’t want to live there, which makes it harder to sign players.

All in all, whether you like him as a player or not, he’s a thoroughly nice guy who gave up his time, for free, when he should have been at drinks with Prince William. Top lad.

Glad you enjoyed your evening, sounded like a good crack.

I have always quite liked him since he became a pundit. Don't always agree with what he says but that's beside the point.

He has some proper haters on here though, so expect to be rounded up viciously by sunbreak. ;)

He does seem alright Gary Neville, I like his co commentary and the videos where he's just himself that I've seen on YouTube (Soccer Am sort of thing) he doesn't take himself too seriously. When he's a pundit he makes good points but I just think the people he's working with get on his tits so he can seem a bit short with people, but that main football presenter on Sky is attrocious so who can blame him.

As for his points, I don't know why someone wouldn't want to live in Yorkshire, especially in the countyside around Sheffield/Derbyshire and the Pennines, it's gorgeous and quite private but even if you don't you can commute from the North West and slightly below Yorkshire quite easily, the North East is tough, like Boro and such because I wouldn't want to live there either and I'm a lot closer to being a beggar than a multi millionaire chooser.

Glad you enjoyed your evening, sounded like a good crack.

I have always quite liked him since he became a pundit. Don't always agree with what he says but that's beside the point.

He has some proper haters on here though, so expect to be rounded up viciously by sunbreak. ;)

Sunbreak?
Is that some crap Yank bobbar?
Lovely Moonrise last night.

Also touched on north south divide and said it’s sad that Yorkshire and North East have been so unsuccessful. Reckons people just don’t want to live there, which makes it harder to sign players.

If true, I'll never understand this. If I was CW and had a player up for talks, the first thing I'd do is get them in the car and drive them around Ladybower, Castleton, Bakewell etc. Then I'd show them an upmarket property website and let them see what they could get for their money compared to, say, London. All 30 minutes from BDTBL.

If that didn't impress them - and they were more interested in bars, clubs etc. - they wouldn't be worth signing,

I've always had a lot of time for Gary Neville.

He was a player that was Man Utd through and through. Winding up Liverpool fans, he was the kind of player that we could associate with and certainly the type of player that Man Utd are desperate to have now.

He was doing the commentary for their TV station when we played them in the FA Youth cup final and I think he was well impressed by our support that night.

As far as the living in Yorkshire is concerned I am sure no player signing for Man City or Man Utd actually live in Manchester which is a dump.

I've always had a lot of time for Gary Neville.

He was a player that was Man Utd through and through. Winding up Liverpool fans, he was the kind of player that we could associate with and certainly the type of player that Man Utd are desperate to have now.

He was doing the commentary for their TV station when we played them in the FA Youth cup final and I think he was well impressed by our support that night.

As far as the living in Yorkshire is concerned I am sure no player signing for Man City or Man Utd actually live in Manchester which is a dump.

Central Manchester was a spice wasteland the last time I went. Multiple people unconscious in the Peace Gardens equivalent near the train station etc

Most footballers in the North West live in Cheshire or near Wrexham I think, there are plenty of places nicer than either just in South Yorkshire, never mind the whole of Yorkshire and as grafikhaus says, for a fraction of the price of anything near London or Merseyside/Manchester.

Just been to a small gathering with Gary Neville, maybe 50 or so. Very, very nice guy, shook everyone’s hand as they hit the free beer (when he had no need to) and was happy to take part in group chats before his sit-down (big fan of VAR because it will eliminate mistakes he says).

Talked well of his career, Fergie, Ronaldo, Scholes, Giggs, the like. A throughly nice and down to earth chap. Questions at the end and although only 5 got one asked, I’m quite tall and loud so I barged in to ask about the Blades:

Playing newly promoted sides, Man U would respect and take them just as seriously, including watching videos etc. Might change personell, e.g. if facing 3 large forwards pick taller full backs, but not change approach to match.

Thinks there are two ways to go when you go up. Spend big and get absolute quality (like Wolves), but accepts its a risk (like Fulham). Or try and skimp through and don’t get players without massive wage cuts if you go down.

His view is to follow Burnley model and get enough quality / wage sensibility to stay up without breaking bank.

All in all, whether you like him as a player or not, he’s a thoroughly nice guy who gave up his time, for free, when he should have been at drinks with Prince William. Top lad.

Sounds like a good night and well done for getting your Blades question in.

I really like Gary Neville, whenever i hear/ see him I find him very informed, even if i don't always agree with his opinions (VAR being one of them, seems to be sanitising the game, but thats for another thread/ day)

Watching things like Class of 92 and the Salford City stuff, he seems extremely driven, both as a player and as a businessman, but as a coach/ manager he's lacked something so far, but its perhaps not for him.

Something which i really liked the other day when he was on Sky Sports was that he wanted to make the point that despite a minority of England fans grabbing the attention and headlines for their run in with the police (i am sure more will come out about what actually happened), he was praising the England fans in the Stadium and their incredible support. Forget the Murdoch party line of seeking controversy through his media outlets, he wanted to express what he felt about the support he had seen.

As for his opinion on the Blades, he will have done some research, but I doubt he will have actually seen much and i am looking forward to hearing his opinions of us when he sees us this season.

You should talk to Raul about him. He’s a big fan.

If true, I'll never understand this. If I was CW and had a player up for talks, the first thing I'd do is get them in the car and drive them around Ladybower, Castleton, Bakewell etc. Then I'd show them an upmarket property website and let them see what they could get for their money compared to, say, London. All 30 minutes from BDTBL.

If that didn't impress them - and they were more interested in bars, clubs etc. - they wouldn't be worth signing,

I think it’s more about the convenience and vibe of the big city which is London.

Nowadays though it’s pretty much a non point. There is so much happening in cities such as Manchester and perhaps Leeds that put them on a par, if not better than London.

If I was a foreign footballer choosing a team based on the city I’d choose Manchester over London everytime and with proximity to Sheffield I’d probably live in Manchester and commute to Sheffield for training

Something which i really liked the other day when he was on Sky Sports was that he wanted to make the point that despite a minority of England fans grabbing the attention and headlines for their run in with the police (i am sure more will come out about what actually happened), he was praising the England fans in the Stadium and their incredible support. Forget the Murdoch party line of seeking controversy through his media outlets, he wanted to express what he felt about the support he had seen.

I saw a bit of that after the game and the aforementioned awful host David Jones was showing exactly why he was awful.

Neville said something along the lines of 'I don't care about the few English idiots, not fans, idiots out there, the English fans in here were outstanding'

And David Jones goes "but what about the trouble out there Gary" with a concerned look and you could tell GNev wanted to twat him as he pointed out he'd just explained that bit.

Really hate that David Jones, wish he'd join his locker and get in the sea.

I'd rather have Prutton.

I think this is sort of the point though, today’s footballer isn’t looking for a beautiful cottage in the lovely scenic countryside. They’re looking to live somewhere hip with the best bars, music scene & nightlife. Manchester has that, Leeds could possibly get away with it and players could commute from there but Sheffield and the north East certainly doesn’t have that (maybe Newcastle aside).

And his view on Brexit was? Be interesting to sometimes hear answers to proper issues beyond just questions from an adult ‘Shoot’ perspective, not knocking you, but the influence and awareness of key public figures (and he is one to many) should be sought. Trump, Corbyn, Tory Drug habits, what has he personally done about plastic reduction should all have been asked.

Plus of course, a key question being who had the biggest wanger he’s ever seen in the changing rooms?

I saw a bit of that after the game and the aforementioned awful host David Jones was showing exactly why he was awful.

Neville said something along the lines of 'I don't care about the few English idiots, not fans, idiots out there, the English fans in here were outstanding'

And David Jones goes "but what about the trouble out there Gary" with a concerned look and you could tell GNev wanted to twat him as he pointed out he'd just explained that bit.

I'd rather have Prutton.
Not only that but Carragher jumped in and said what did he expect the supporters to do inside the stadium? The look on Nevilles’ face was a one of thinking shut up you daft, spitting, vile cunt!

I remember Kevin Keegan saying that he managed to sign a player (can't remember who) by persuading him that Newcastle was further south than Middlesbrough. Perhaps Wilder should use the same tactics!

I'd rather have Prutton.

I that David Jones a regular presenter? He seems to get the same reaction from Neville that Wilder gives that Radio Sheffield guy

Met him very briefly when he was still playing. Decent bloke, but I don't agree with him about VAR, the impact on the game will be generally detrimental. Then again he's a TV pundit now so he has to toe the line with their baby.

Think he's great as a pundit, there was a Sky programme that followed both him and Carragher around, thought they both came across well and put the hours and miles in. Seems really dedicated and driven with the Salford FC project too. Never the best right back in his words, commitment, a want to learn and working hard got him a long way, he'd be perfect in a Wilder team.

Provided you can accept relegation next season, because that's what Burnley achieved in their 1st season

Don't come on here with yer' truth and yer' facts!

You are of course correct, but that is not what many on hear want to see. We need to spunk some moneh (at least £60m on transfers) and when we go down plenty will say we didn't spunk enough.

Spending other people's money is easy. You just get a keyborad and get on with it.....

Comes across as a decent bloke I enjoy the banter between him and carragher aswell especially when Man Utd play Liverpool

What a sporting family, exceptional cricketers and footballers.

What energy, Gary is involved in a number of big businesses and does all that T.V. work, yet he finds time to speak to such a small group last night.

When he's the pundit you listen and learn. That's true of less than a handful of pundits over the years.

Down to earth northern lad, no side, not like some.

A supposed 'failure' as a manager, what nonsense. Ideal managerial material. The Spanish job was ridiculous and over in a few months.

When he played against us? Hated him and them.

Central Manchester was a spice wasteland the last time I went. Multiple people unconscious in the Peace Gardens equivalent near the train station etc

Most footballers in the North West live in Cheshire or near Wrexham I think, there are plenty of places nicer than either just in South Yorkshire, never mind the whole of Yorkshire and as grafikhaus says, for a fraction of the price of anything near London or Merseyside/Manchester.
They have wives and girlfriends and the shopping is shit. There isn’t much of a WAG scene and the area doesn’t cater for wealthy young people in the same way that the north west or London does.

Saying that, if Duffy and JOC can commute so can others. And I suspect Neville is talking more about foreign players, who’ll move to Manchester or Liverpool for trophies but if they’re going to a club less likely to win stuff, they’ll go to London instead as it’s a good place to live if you’re rich and probably full of ex pats from wherever the player is from.

No real Airport has held Sheffield back for donkeys years. Something which should have been addressed in the 80s but instead Sheffield Council went for an half arsed Small business airport instead of the major long haul one

And Finningly is NOT a Doncaster/ Sheffield airport no matter how they try to market it.

I that David Jones a regular presenter? He seems to get the same reaction from Neville that Wilder gives that Radio Sheffield guy

Unfortunately yes, does all the Super Sunday and MNF usually. Next after him is Kelly Cates who is so, so much better but I think she just has other commitments, radio shows etc, David Jones is like a bit of Sky Sports equipment, probably has a flight case and they unpack him haha

I think it’s more about the convenience and vibe of the big city which is London.

Nowadays though it’s pretty much a non point. There is so much happening in cities such as Manchester and perhaps Leeds that put them on a par, if not better than London.

If I was a foreign footballer choosing a team based on the city I’d choose Manchester over London everytime and with proximity to Sheffield I’d probably live in Manchester and commute to Sheffield for training

Interestingly, he was very, very critical of players who travel long distances and don’t commit to the city. He also laid into Mourinho for living in a hotel for 3 years, compared to Pep who moved his family, invested in business and bought a house.

Think he's great as a pundit, there was a Sky programme that followed both him and Carragher around, thought they both came across well and put the hours and miles in. Seems really dedicated and driven with the Salford FC project too. Never the best right back in his words, commitment, a want to learn and working hard got him a long way, he'd be perfect in a Wilder team.

Spoke a bit about Salford. He loves it. He did however pretty much say they get knocked out of the FA trophy every year to concentrate on the league.

Back
Top Bottom