An analysis of how we dismantled Chelsea

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Stretch

A member of approximately average size.
Reaction score
Worth a watch is this. I think this lad is Canadian (judging by the accent) and he goes into some depth on our game plan. Quite a bit of emphasis on Chelsea's mistakes, but I always find it interesting to see how neutrals view our tactics. I wish I could see half of this when I was watching a match.

I mean the lad is 15 times better than the clichéd idiots on sky and motd.

Granted he has a bit more time to go into depth, but how much more insightful is that 9 minute piece than the usual 'sheff United have/had more desire' repeat ad nauseum as the sum of the commentary about us.

Chelski could have been at their best and we would still have beat them.

The biggest part of our gameplan is making sure the opposition aren't allowed to do what they want. We struggle much more with lofted balls in behind because our defensive strategy is all about crowding out intricate build up play and forcing opponents into areas of the pitch we can ambush them in.

The only teams who we've been unable to contain all year are Liverpool (away), City (home) and Man Utd (for 10 minutes at home and the whole game away). And I suppose Newcastle after the sending off but that was just an all round shambles. Leicester were very good at Bramall Lane. So were Southampton (although we definitely had our chances). Randomly, Bournemouth played us off the park for 20 minutes at BL as well.

We make other teams play how we want. Chelsea was the best example, every single trap we set they walked straight into. We have no problem not having the ball. We can keep it when necessary and I think one of the adjustments teams will make next year is to try to draw us out by letting us have it.

I think what the video highlights, and which I’ve felt throughout the season seems to be lost in the “hard working” description, is the discipline we have within the system we play. Hard work can only get you part of the way, and as Wilder’s said before that should come as standard. The difference is we’ve combined that hard work with discipline off the ball. It’s been a factor all season, aided in part by the switch made in the summer that’s enabled the midfield off the ball to defend a little differently to how they did for the majority of last season.

I’m also delighted how Berge is gradually adjusting and finding his role within our system.

His early career reminded me of Pogba at Man Utd.
Both players were big money signings (relative to the clubs) and bigged up as great talents with big reputations but both looked so under whelming.

However now that the spotlight has been taken off both Pogba and Berge....they are both starting to show their qualities.

I’ve thought this for a while but this video does demonstrate how fantastic we are OUT of possesion.
Chelsea did plenty of attacking on Saturday but Henderson hardly had anything to do. Once we were 2-0 up...I felt fairly calm and relaxed.

Apparently the greatest win for the smallest amount of possession in EPL history, or summat.

Blades 24% possession
Chelski 76% possession

That's some quality performance!

New terminology. “Sheffield Uniteds shuttlers.”3 Times Frank the Plank changed formation and still CWAK and his staff had the better of him. How long before some so called pundit nicks that guys tag line. “Shuttlers”.

An interesting analysis of how we defend from the front, but poor on our attacking....almost implying we only scored because of Chelski’s mistakes in defence.

Who does this guy think he is, Bergen Blade?

Good analysis focusing on the defensive part of our game, highlighting what we do that has caused so many teams to have "off days" against us this season. He swaps Osborn and Berge in his pitch view and seemed to say we were man marking in midfield. I think that makes it sound like Berge would mark Mount at all times, but I doubt that's what he meant.

As has been mentioned, there could have been more focus on what we did well when we created chances and scored. There were criticism on here regarding our playing style after the first three matches after the break, including some relevant and valid stuff. Again Wilder and Knill have shown that they can see what's not right, and addressing it.

Back
Top Bottom