Alan Knill

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Trafford

Reaction score
AK was regularly cited as the strategic genius behind much of our success over the past 2 seasons. He barely gets a mention these days. Maybe that’s where a change is needed?

I think changing AK would be a huge mistake. No doubt AK is and has been a huge part of the success over the last few years and a huge part of the joint success CWAK have had. However, perhaps it might be time to bring in an additional coach to add something different to the mix. I think CWAK are on record has saying they sort of stumbled on the 3-5-2 model that served them so well since the Northampton days, let's hope they stumble on something new that serves them equally well going forward.

I wonder if Knilly has the balls to tell Wilder this long ball isn’t working.
Maybe no one dare say owt to Chrissy about the way we’re playing.
Surely not everyone down at the lane is wearing Blinkers over their eyes. That said the prince said yesterday he’s happy with the players we’ve brought in and he’s happy with the way we’re playing, so that’s two people down there that are proving to definitely have them on.

You would assume for certain that a professional at most levels would have the balls to voice their opinion. I think their partnership would not have worked so well had Knill not have had the opportunity to add his input. The same you would guess from the senior players like Jags and Sharp. Although the bigger question is will Wilder listen. I said it yesterday on another thread but to me Wilder looks like he really needs some outside input from someone he trusts, maybe Bassett or Fergie, someone who can offer a different perspective. From Wilder's post match Saints interview he does look rather lost and forlorn. I still don't think all is lost at this stage, however, it needs some fresh impetus and fast and I think a big part is that Wilder looks like he needs some inspiration or shaken out of his almost helpless looking position he looks like he's wrapped up in.

Fresh inspiration and a different attitude/perspective/system and i reckon a run of results could be had...however, it needs to happen fast and Wilder needs to be honest with himself as much as anything about how his demeanour might be affecting things.

The bit that I don’t understand is how we can all see simple things that are going wrong and yet they seemingly aren’t addressed. Berge and Norwood’s defending for instance. How many goals have we conceded this season where one of them has switched off, let a man run free and they’ve either scored or set a goal up. That doesn’t take a transformation of form or ability to achieve, it just needs a few training sessions of a coach constantly picking them up on it until it becomes second nature. And before people say that we don’t play them for the defending, this doesn’t detract from their attacking or creative roles, you can’t do those if you don’t have the ball and can’t get it back!

Maybe we will ditch the long ball and start playing to the feet with McBurnie injury forcing a change

You would assume for certain that a professional at most levels would have the balls to voice their opinion. I think their partnership would not have worked so well had Knill not have had the opportunity to add his input. The same you would guess from the senior players like Jags and Sharp. Although the bigger question is will Wilder listen. I said it yesterday on another thread but to me Wilder looks like he really needs some outside input from someone he trusts, maybe Bassett or Fergie, someone who can offer a different perspective. From Wilder's post match Saints interview he does look rather lost and forlorn. I still don't think all is lost at this stage, however, it needs some fresh impetus and fast and I think a big part is that Wilder looks like he needs some inspiration or shaken out of his almost helpless looking position he looks like he's wrapped up in.

Fresh inspiration and a different attitude/perspective/system and i reckon a run of results could be had...however, it needs to happen fast and Wilder needs to be honest with himself as much as anything about how his demeanour might be affecting things.

There's a whole area of study in sports psychology called Learned Helplessness. One of the solutions is Attribution Retraining apparently. Other suitable alternatives include things like hanging on to that 1-1 and burying that sitter.

Back
Top Bottom