Adkins' terrible transfers

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

question it by all means but this forum is rammed to the rafters with dissent bile and resignation and the same old well its history repeating itself crap

THINGS CHANGE just because we have failed before doesnt mean its set in stone

no dount Burton thought theyd always be a non league club, once

we will come good , dont know when but we will seen us do it before
we came back from div 4 when people said we wouldnt

We came back in 1 season. We are talking about there here and now. When will we get promoted? Just because we have succeeded before doesn't mean it's set in stone. Always two sides to every coin.

question it by all means but this forum is rammed to the rafters with dissent bile and resignation and the same old well its history repeating itself crap

THINGS CHANGE just because we have failed before doesnt mean its set in stone

no dount Burton thought theyd always be a non league club, once

we will come good , dont know when but we will seen us do it before
we came back from div 4 when people said we wouldnt
Oh well, if you say so

We need to get good players in positions of importance.

I can't think of any team that got promoted because of the quality of their RB. SPINE SPINE SPINE

It surprises me how easily and quickly people are happy to trash the record of a man with 4 promotions. To be fair Barny, I think you at least broke a record there.

UTB
Please explain how I'm trashing his record. His past achievements were a big factor in the desire to appoint him, as there's more chance, with a good record, they're going to come here and begin in a convincing manner. But he hasn't.

What he did with Southampton was impressive, but do we really have a team full of future Premiership and England first team players? I'll answer for you, no.

All i'm doing is assessing what he's done HERE because isn't that more important than what he did elsewhere? And as I've said, what he's done so far is far from inspiring.

Please explain how I'm trashing his record. His past achievements were a big factor in the desire to appoint him, as there's more chance, with a good record, they're going to come here and begin in a convincing manner. But he hasn't.

What he did with Southampton was impressive, but do we really have a team full of future Premiership and England first team players? I'll answer for you, no.

All i'm doing is assessing what he's done HERE because isn't that more important than what he did elsewhere? And as I've said, what he's done so far is far from inspiring.

neither did southampton to start with he improved them

Don't be silly.

whats silly
were they england internationals when Adkins arrived
we brought murphy in 2 years ago general concensus was he was too weak a typical scot not good enough
then 2 years later hes our best player ever according to some

are you saying reed and adams have no future at all
Im amazed how our "supporters" write off our club and now our players as useless

The frustrating thing for some of us is that Murphy was the last player to leave or join the club and we were told that the money would be used to strengthen the team. Everyone including Adkins knows what it needs, however it's not happening. It's just madness when it looks like we nearly had deals over the line for some players, yet were unwilling to pay that little bit more.

It's bad business for the Prince to put £5m a year into a club and see nothing in return. What am I missing, Surely, even just using the Murphy money would allow him to get some kind of return by getting promoted.

Don't be silly.

To be fair to him, he's not. Managers bring out the players in some people and it worked at Southampton. Yes, he had money but I bet he thought he would have what he needed here, which really isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things

Game 1 - "Adkins assessing what we have has ruined our season"

Game 11 - "what we've seen so far proves he's no better than Clough"

However well you construct your posts, the underlying points are unfair, fickle, and a severe symptom of the short termisn that's going to root us in this division.

UTB

Game 1 - "Adkins assessing what we have has ruined our season"

Game 11 - "what we've seen so far proves he's no better than Clough"

However well you construct your posts, the underlying points are unfair, fickle, and a severe symptom of the short termisn that's going to root us in this division.

UTB
You have a tendancy to throw about accusations and insults, without actually typing anything that remotely adds any meat to your arguments.

You have a tendancy to throw about accusations and insults, without actually typing anything that remotely adds any meat to your arguments.
So, the points of yours I've just raised - you stand by them? You've allowed enough time to conclude he's no better than Clough? Is that the meat I'm missing?

UTB

We need to get good players in positions of importance.

I can't think of any team that got promoted because of the quality of their RB. SPINE SPINE SPINE

Indeed......CM CM CH CH.

I hear people say Done.....Brayford............etc - Those players and we as a team will continue to be average until we sort out the 4 key positions.
You could at a push add GK to that but any GK is dependent on the 2 x CH in front.

This has been banged on about since SEPT 2014 and I thought Edgar was one of the solutions - what has happened to him since the World Cup week early September - he looks worse now than Collins FFS (who I thought was half decent at Burton)

UTB

So, the points of yours I've just raised - you stand by them? You've allowed enough time to conclude he's no better than Clough? Is that the meat I'm missing?

UTB
There's a big difference in saying he's done nothing to prove he's better than Clough so far, than saying he's no better full stop.

Like Clough is Adkins and his staff , on a steep learning curve , of how league 1 is now , not how it was years ago

Just a thought.

UTB.
Funny how so many are saying the league is 'so much weaker' because there are fewer big names than in previous seasons, whilst watching teams play a fairly decent standard of football.
I tend to agree with you, the quality improves year by year whilst we stand still.
It's a bizarre season though, throughout football. Look at Chelsea. Arsenal are currently beating Man U after losing to a second rate European side. We seem to be part of the general unpredictability.

I think a lot of people accepted that if we didn't strengthen properly this season we wouldn't go up. Different posters had different opinions of how we should or how we could do this, some justifying why we couldn't but I'd say almost everyone felt we weren't strong enough and if we did well, it would be more because Adkins had worked a minor miracle than because the players were that good.
But actually seeing it play out is painful.

I still believe Adkins will take us up but not with the players we've got now and how quickly we bring in new players is up to the board. It took Simon Grayson, an expert in getting out of this league, two years to get Preston up. The club and the supporters have to accept that two years to go up is a reasonable timeframe and each time we sack a manager, we set the clock to zero. Because of the way we are run.

There's a big difference in saying he's done nothing to prove he's better than Clough so far, than saying he's no better full stop.
A big difference being the 4 promotions I'd suggest. You seem to be suggesting that 11 games trumps it. And in fact the innuendo started at game 1.

I just find it amazing that you focus your criticism on the manager when there's clearly so much other baggage he has to handle.

And your answer to that (pay them all off) was only slightly better than popping down to the money tree.

UTB

A big difference being the 4 promotions I'd suggest. You seem to be suggesting that 11 games trumps it. And in fact the innuendo started at game 1.

I just find it amazing that you focus your criticism on the manager when there's clearly so much other baggage he has to handle.

And your answer to that (pay them all off) was only slightly better than popping down to the money tree.

UTB
I'm saying Adkins hasn't done anything to prove he's better than Clough SO FAR. Just look at the league table for crystal clear evidence of that. Yet you're still banging on about how i'm saying he's no better than Clough, full stop, after 11 games.

Are you even reading my posts? Because only that would explain how you're missing my point by such a margin.

I'm saying Adkins hasn't done anything to prove he's better than Clough SO FAR. Just look at the league table for crystal clear evidence of that. Yet you're still banging on about how i'm saying he's no better than Clough, full stop, after 11 games.

Are you even reading my posts? Because only that would explain how you're missing my point by such a margin.

And I'm saying that he has, in his 4 (four) promotions. Are you even reading that?

There's been an ongoing underlying criticism of the manager from day one. I find it bizarre, in the way I've pointed out.

Posting about it at 4am suggests you could do with some more perspective on our situation. :)

UTB

There's been an ongoing underlying criticism of the manager from day one. I find it bizarre, in the way I've pointed out.

Posting about it at 4am suggests you could do with some more perspective on our situation. :)

UTB
Criticism that's been more than warranted given it's partly the reason we find ourselves where we are.

What's bizarre is that you think by pointing to the time it's posted makes the content less plausible.

Scraping the barrel for a jibe a tad there aren't you?

Wouldn't surprise me I have to admit, it's not like you've challenged my post with any actual explanation so far.

Criticism that's been more than warranted given it's partly the reason we find ourselves where we are.

What's bizarre is that you think by pointing to the time it's posted makes the content less plausible.

Scraping the barrel for a jibe a tad there aren't you?

Wouldn't surprise me I have to admit, it's not like you've challenged my post with any actual explanation so far.
The :) was there for a reason Barny.

As for the first bit - I've pointed out on numerous occasions exactly why I think your criticism is unfair;

You say he's done nothing to suggest he's better than Clough, I say that he's achieved 4 promotions. I don't really see how I can, factually, better address your criticism.

Why bother - because as a fan base, we've really got to stop looking for the easy fix. We've put a top manager in place for one - let's give him time. When you're so heavily criticising him on day one, you're adding to the ball rolling. There's really so much more to go at to fuel our need to criticise something when things aren't going well.

UTB

The :) was there for a reason Barny.

As for the first bit - I've pointed out on numerous occasions exactly why I think your criticism is unfair;

You say he's done nothing to suggest he's better than Clough, I say that he's achieved 4 promotions. I don't really see how I can, factually, better address your criticism.

Why bother - because as a fan base, we've really got to stop looking for the easy fix. We've put a top manager in place for one - let's give him time. When you're so heavily criticising him on day one, you're adding to the ball rolling. There's really so much more to go at to fuel our need to criticise something when things aren't going well.

UTB
He hasn't done anything to prove he's better than Clough whilst he's been at this club though, has he?

That was the point being missed.

He hasn't done anything to prove he's better than Clough whilst he's been at this club though, has he?

That was the point being missed.
Because he's inherited a bag of shite?

So, we can conclude that a successful career has gone off the rails after a few games, or that he's still a good manager with a very difficult job. I find it amazing that you choose that former option.

UTB

Because he's inherited a bag of shite?

So, we can conclude that a successful career has gone off the rails after a few games, or that he's still a good manager with a very difficult job. I find it amazing that you choose that former option.

UTB
All I can say to that is - Wow!

I don't know how I can make it any simpler. Let me try:

He has indeed inherited a bag of shite, correct, no disputing that. But whilst Adkins has been at the club, through transfer decisions he's proved so far he's no better than Clough. A few examples; waiting to assess the squad even though the weakness were apparent, then prioritising the wrong positions, and then still not signing a centre back until forced to do so by a shocking result on the opening day.

Had he signed 2 CB's as first priority, a CM and a striker afterwards, and all done relatively early, I wouldn't have criticised the manager one bit as he would have done all he's capable of to improve the shite we have. Any blame then would lie entirely with the board. But since he hasn't chose that path, he deserves the criticism he's been given.

All I can say to that is - Wow!

I don't know how I can make it any simpler. Let me try:

He has indeed inherited a bag of shite, correct, no disputing that. But whilst Adkins has been at the club, through transfer decisions he's proved so far he's no better than Clough. A few examples; waiting to assess the squad even though the weakness were apparent, then prioritising the wrong positions, and then still not signing a centre back until forced to do so by a shocking result on the opening day.

Had he signed 2 CB's as first priority, a CM and a striker afterwards, and all done relatively early, I wouldn't have criticised the manager one bit as he would have done all he's capable of. The full blame would then lie entirely by the feet of the board. But since he hasn't chose that path, he deserves the criticism he's been given.
It's a lost cause. Carry on Barny, I'm sure we'll get a better manager soon.

UTB

so come on then Barny, why were you on here at such an ungodly hour? Still up after a night on the lash, up early for a fishing match, on shifts?

Back
Top Bottom