Absolute shambles!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think the team has got off lightly. This is one of the worst teams ever (percentage wise we place 2nd all time in 140 years of all English leagues for most defeats from games played in a season). I do not get the criticism of fans at all. What did you expect? if fans were in the stadium they would have got absolutely hammered for some of the performances and defeat after defeat. They are very fortunate they have played in empty crowds.
"Empty crowds". Love that.

They had Bale, Ali, Son and Kane.

We had Fleck, Norwood, Brewster and Didsy.

Hardly surprising that we got mullered.

Some people in need of a serious reality check if they're surprised or upset by yesterday's result.

Some people in need of a serious reality check if they're surprised or upset by yesterday's result.
Doesn't mean you carnt run around otherwise what's the point in going

Appoint Heckingbottom and we will be in League 1 in the blink of an eye. Nine of those that started tonight will be starters the first game of next season. Let that sink in for a while. We could be on a slide to mirror the mid to late 70’s, we are that bad.
Think there's a bit of overreaction going on. Yes, things are not good at present, but, over the summer, many posts commended the club for the growing gulf between us and the S6 shower. We can get back on course. The Prince has taken a lot of stick for our current plight, but I think it's currently unjustified. While wages have been a problem, he did back CW with substantial transfer funds and it is not his fault that CW did not make good use of these. We need to wait and see what plans are afoot, but, as a hardened supporter for over 50 years, I'm going to hold my fire for now!

Maybe, but I still bet on SUFC

Yep. More like 'caught up the pitch' much the same way Mike Tyson used to pull opponents in, watch their stance and arms and hit them with the old right hook to the ribs and an uppercut straight upwards through the middle move and leave them flat out on the canvas wondering what the fuck happened.

pommpey

75% of both sides played in the corresponding fixtures last season.

Yep.

On a similar theme, during the game Andy Hinchcliffe said something about our defence today being badly affected by injuries, which was an excuse.

This has been the case at times, but it wasn't on Sunday. Of our first choice defence, only 1 out of 6 was missing. 2 of them were playing in the wrong positions when only one had to, but, well, Heckingbottom doesn't know what he's doing.

Similarly, our first choice midfield was on show after Berge came on and did whatever it is he does. And arguably that is our first choice forward line even if Sharp and McBurnie are fit.

The big story of this season is not tactics. it is not injuries. It is not even transfer policy (rubbish though that was). It is the collapse in form of the majority of the 1st XI, which is unprecedented in scale.

we should have been playing 451 from last october at least we might have had more possesion in games and created more whats the point playing 2 strikers when you only have 25% possesion every game baffling
Any of the centre halves we have trying to play in a 2 would be a disaster. Those 1-0 defeats would have been 5-6. Basham and Egan are probably the best pairing and they would be exposed to any pace or balls over the top, and if they sat deep, quick intricate play would cut through them. Like England, to stay in a game at this level we have to play 3 because the centre halves available aren’t up to it.
Thankfully there is such a large drop off between PL and Championship.
The other kicker is we don’t have the Midfielders either to bring in anyway so you’d be putting Bogle in out of position.

Norwood has never had pace but his once superb passing has gone to shit. Opposition are closing him down causing him to panic and give the ball away… now maybe (maybe) he can still do it in the Championship when you would think we would have more possession but it’s not a given.

Norwood has gone from strength to strength in the pointing department though, look up "most points in a game/month/season" on Opta and he is miles ahead of anyone.

OK we might be the shittiest team in Prem history but at least we won the pointing...

Norwood has gone from strength to strength in the pointing department though, look up "most points in a game/month/season" on Opta and he is miles ahead of anyone.

OK we might be the shittiest team in Prem history but at least we won the pointing...

If only Bruce Forsyth had been right and points made prizes....

Yep.

On a similar theme, during the game Andy Hinchcliffe said something about our defence today being badly affected by injuries, which was an excuse.

This has been the case at times, but it wasn't on Sunday. Of our first choice defence, only 1 out of 6 was missing. 2 of them were playing in the wrong positions when only one had to, but, well, Heckingbottom doesn't know what he's doing.

Similarly, our first choice midfield was on show after Berge came on and did whatever it is he does. And arguably that is our first choice forward line even if Sharp and McBurnie are fit.

The big story of this season is not tactics. it is not injuries. It is not even transfer policy (rubbish though that was). It is the collapse in form of the majority of the 1st XI, which is unprecedented in scale.

Perhaps they should have failed abysmally last season - as every neutral and his dog expected them to - and then saved themselves the wrath of the fans. I've no doubt everyone (alright, most) would have been much more circumspect had this happened last season.

These players simply aren't of the same calibre as the players they're going up against. We all dreamt for a moment that they were, that the big money transfer values of some big-name players were an illusion and you could pluck unknown players from obscurity or turn around failing careers and they would be just as good. But it turns out that long term it just doesn't work that way.

Some of our fans still seem to think that it does, that you can send out players that no other PL team would consider taking even as back up for the bench, then have a fit when they get taken apart. Others seem to think you can shuffle the players around into a different formation and the opposition will suddenly look like amateurs, start leaking goals and forget how to attack.

Yes, the team that did so well and made everyone sit up and take notice has performed very badly, their form has collapsed, there are lots of different reasons or suggested reasons for that, there always are, but it's undeniable that the main reason is players who were phenomenal last season have been ordinary at best this season. And unlike other players of a higher quality, they can't afford to play under par, because for them par isn't good enough for the PL.

Now we either knew that from the beginning, in which case as a fan base we can show some fortitude, understanding, magnanimity, should be able to accept the collapse of the house of cards with a semblance of acknowledgement that this could happen (or even was likely to happen) and recognition that the players have done us proud but it wasn't good enough in the end. I'm not suggesting anyone is happy about it or that people can't point to where they think it's gone wrong - I've no doubt that we could have survived another season had certain things been done differently.

Or we didn't understand that and think our players are good enough, that we can watch games against established PL teams and say we are no worse than them, not expect to be out-played, out-thought and never given a footballing lesson. There have been games against much poorer opposition where people have been right to question the result - but the anger and mouth frothing at Spurs beating us with a Gareth Bale hat-trick is about as Wednesdayesque as I can imagine.

I don’t care anymore how many goals the opposition score against us. I’m much more concerned about our own inability to score goals. But I guess it’s another nil to add to our wonderful collection of nils.

We were good enough against the afore mentioned players last season - twice?

We were good enough against the afore mentioned players last season - twice?
Last season we had confidence playing on our side.

Amazing what a difference he can make.

You're not seriously arguing that our four were as good as their four last season, this season, or any other season?

Perhaps they should have failed abysmally last season - as every neutral and his dog expected them to - and then saved themselves the wrath of the fans. I've no doubt everyone (alright, most) would have been much more circumspect had this happened last season.

These players simply aren't of the same calibre as the players they're going up against. We all dreamt for a moment that they were, that the big money transfer values of some big-name players were an illusion and you could pluck unknown players from obscurity or turn around failing careers and they would be just as good. But it turns out that long term it just doesn't work that way.

Some of our fans still seem to think that it does, that you can send out players that no other PL team would consider taking even as back up for the bench, then have a fit when they get taken apart. Others seem to think you can shuffle the players around into a different formation and the opposition will suddenly look like amateurs, start leaking goals and forget how to attack.

Yes, the team that did so well and made everyone sit up and take notice has performed very badly, their form has collapsed, there are lots of different reasons or suggested reasons for that, there always are, but it's undeniable that the main reason is players who were phenomenal last season have been ordinary at best this season. And unlike other players of a higher quality, they can't afford to play under par, because for them par isn't good enough for the PL.

Now we either knew that from the beginning, in which case as a fan base we can show some fortitude, understanding, magnanimity, should be able to accept the collapse of the house of cards with a semblance of acknowledgement that this could happen (or even was likely to happen) and recognition that the players have done us proud but it wasn't good enough in the end. I'm not suggesting anyone is happy about it or that people can't point to where they think it's gone wrong - I've no doubt that we could have survived another season had certain things been done differently.

Or we didn't understand that and think our players are good enough, that we can watch games against established PL teams and say we are no worse than them, not expect to be out-played, out-thought and never given a footballing lesson. There have been games against much poorer opposition where people have been right to question the result - but the anger and mouth frothing at Spurs beating us with a Gareth Bale hat-trick is about as Wednesdayesque as I can imagine.

I would sign onto this 100 percent but for the depth of the decline. As many people have said, if we were where WBA or Fulham arewe could live with that. From 9th place to 27 defeats in 34 games without a major turnover in personnel is unprecedented in modern English football.

In other words, I could accept and acknowledge that a decline could happen: indeed, I expected one. This however is beyond that.

Last season we had confidence playing on our side.

Amazing what a difference he can make.

You're not seriously arguing that our four were as good as their four last season, this season, or any other season?
As a team, we were the match of & gave every other team in the league last season a game.

It is a team game not an individual based sport.

Our form has collapsed through poor team management & football club stewardship.

It was poor but after some of the displays this season, it was par for the course where teams who are organised and move the ball quickly and intelligently make us look daft. Some of the defensive efforts were embarrassing, people waving a leg out in the hope that the ball might gravitate to it and leaving the likes of Gareth Bale (who's basically getting paid to have a kickabout these days) to saunter between defenders unmarked.

The goal they scored on the break sums it up for me, the sort of goal we would never, ever score. Spurs were clinical. Even when we were a decent side, we'd have passed the ball to death and let the defence all get back.

It was poor but after some of the displays this season, it was par for the course where teams who are organised and move the ball quickly and intelligently make us look daft. Some of the defensive efforts were embarrassing, people waving a leg out in the hope that the ball might gravitate to it and leaving the likes of Gareth Bale (who's basically getting paid to have a kickabout these days) to saunter between defenders unmarked.

The goal they scored on the break sums it up for me, the sort of goal we would never, ever score. Spurs were clinical. Even when we were a decent side, we'd have passed the ball to death and let the defence all get back.
The capitulation this season for me was summed up by the passage leading to the first goal: firstly, Baldock tracking Bale into the LCB space then stopping to admire the gracious arc of Aurier's pass rather than either tracking Bale or blocking him off. That was part of it, the rest is Egan attempting to get the line up from in front of his teammates. No-one tracked Son either so had Ramsdale got a glove on Bale's attempt it would almost certainly have resulted in a tap in.

1620125986945.png

I'm still speechless about the defending for the second so I'm not going to bother breaking that down but we surely knew that Spurs had two rapid forwards on the pitch in Bale and Son yet we insisted on playing a high line with a back three comprising slow (Egan, Stevens), out of form (Stevens, Baldock) or returning from injury (Basham) players. The mind boggles.

I would sign onto this 100 percent but for the depth of the decline. As many people have said, if we were where WBA or Fulham arewe could live with that. From 9th place to 27 defeats in 34 games without a major turnover in personnel is unprecedented in modern English football.

In other words, I could accept and acknowledge that a decline could happen: indeed, I expected one. This however is beyond that.
Yes, and don't get me wrong, I'm very disappointed in how it's gone, nor do I understand completely how it can have happened, but I think here we can mention "fine margins" - not as they're usually mentioned, i.e. between last season and this, but between us and West Brom and Fulham. The difference there is draws instead of one-goal defeats. Even then, when you look at the players they have and we have, on paper the gap between us probably isn't unreasonable.
In hindsight, we performed too well in the first games of last season. Had we done badly, or just a lot worse than we did, the management would have had a different approach to the players we needed and the need to score goals. The fans too would have been more accepting of failure. We had an incredible few seasons and even if it's all Wilder and the players' fault, I don't see how anyone can judge them too harshly.
Reality has caught up with us and having a tantrum about it makes us look ridiculous, in my opinion. I think we have a very good chance of challenging next season provided we get a good manager in and the players can get some belief back - and I think the fans can help or hinder that once they're back at the Lane.

Yes, and don't get me wrong, I'm very disappointed in how it's gone, nor do I understand completely how it can have happened, but I think here we can mention "fine margins" - not as they're usually mentioned, i.e. between last season and this, but between us and West Brom and Fulham. The difference there is draws instead of one-goal defeats. Even then, when you look at the players they have and we have, on paper the gap between us probably isn't unreasonable.
In hindsight, we performed too well in the first games of last season. Had we done badly, or just a lot worse than we did, the management would have had a different approach to the players we needed and the need to score goals. The fans too would have been more accepting of failure. We had an incredible few seasons and even if it's all Wilder and the players' fault, I don't see how anyone can judge them too harshly.
Reality has caught up with us and having a tantrum about it makes us look ridiculous, in my opinion. I think we have a very good chance of challenging next season provided we get a good manager in and the players can get some belief back - and I think the fans can help or hinder that once they're back at the Lane.

this is where the management didn’t earn their money, for me.

It was, I believe, fairly obvious that last seasons defensive performance was not repeatable: we were virtually injury free and we would have no Hendo.

Plus there were things that happened offensively that were probably not repeatable - Fleck and Lundstram had career years for scoring, amid our scoring was incredibly “efficient”: we only scored 2 consolation goals (Soton a and Leicester h): every other goal was in a win or draw. That was also not repeatable.

Chance creation was vital, and better scoring. This was obvious - many people commented on it on here and on the media. There was an almost total failure to address these things. No creative midfielder and an untried striker who has proved to be useless. Very poor. Combine this with the regression of other players and injuries and you get this disaster.

I worry. What nags me is I cant think of of any good decisions made since the court case outcome. Do the owners really understand what the problems are and know what to do?

this is where the management didn’t earn their money, for me.

It was, I believe, fairly obvious that last seasons defensive performance was not repeatable: we were virtually injury free and we would have no Hendo.

Plus there were things that happened offensively that were probably not repeatable - Fleck and Lundstram had career years for scoring, amid our scoring was incredibly “efficient”: we only scored 2 consolation goals (Soton a and Leicester h): every other goal was in a win or draw. That was also not repeatable.

Chance creation was vital, and better scoring. This was obvious - many people commented on it on here and on the media. There was an almost total failure to address these things. No creative midfielder and an untried striker who has proved to be useless. Very poor. Combine this with the regression of other players and injuries and you get this disaster.
Wilder said at the end of last season that "the top of the pitch is priority",due to what everybody knew was a need to score more,so he knew we needed a goalscoring forward or a creative midfielder or both,so we got the Brewster saga,dragging for months,Burke for Robinson and Freeman shipped out.Sorry,but you are only as good as your recruitment,ours was awful.

What happened vs Spurs at the weekend, was what I expected to happen week in, week out last season. Maybe when all said and done, our biggest mistake was over-exceeding last season?

What happened vs Spurs at the weekend, was what I expected to happen week in, week out last season. Maybe when all said and done, our biggest mistake was over-exceeding last season?
We did exceed expectations last season but saying you expected us to get hammered every week is daft. This season we have been absolutely pathetic. The recruitment, tactics and performances have been embarrassing.

We did exceed expectations last season but saying you expected us to get hammered every week is daft. This season we have been absolutely pathetic. The recruitment, tactics and performances have been embarrassing.

It may well be daft but it's what I expected. Chin up!

Back
Top Bottom