A giant leap, a giant goal

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Lightsoot

Reaction score
Apologies I’m pissed because I was sober at half-time and didn’t think we’d win, so I started supping and now I’m pissed.

Anyway when Robbo scored to make it 2-1, the SKY commentator said, ‘A giant leap, a giant goal for Sheffield United!!!’. Isn’t that the same SKY commentator who said ‘Basham coming in…. A giant goal for Sheffield United…’ vs Leeds?

And if it is, surely tonight’s commentary means it’s a formality that we’re going up?

Apologies I’m pissed because I was sober at half-time and didn’t think we’d win, so I started supping and now I’m pissed.

Anyway when Robbo scored to make it 2-1, the SKY commentator said, ‘A giant leap, a giant goal for Sheffield United!!!’. Isn’t that the same SKY commentator who said ‘Basham coming in…. A giant goal for Sheffield United…’ vs Leeds?

And if it is, surely tonight’s commentary means it’s a formality that we’re going up?
Hate to be THAT person but it was "Basham's arriving..."

I must say that was a very Bankesque save by Murphy from Robinson's Header.

Bashams coming lol dunno about anyone else but I came several times last night

The commentator is Daniel Mann and he has had a few iconic commentary moments with United in our previous two-year stint in the Championship ...

"Inside and outside he goes ... That's a stunning strike! How on earth did he manage that?" (Duffy at Hillsborough)

"Basham's arriving ... and he takes the chance this time! Giant goal for Sheffield United!" (Basham at Leeds)

"O'Connell coming in! That's the one! Forget the Maths! The Premier League beckons for Sheffield United!" (Ipswich promotion goal)

I think I remember there being a podcast interview with him about the fact that he'd had quite a number of memorable commentary moments involving SUFC. He's not a fan of the club but I think he admired the Wilderball football we played and maybe has a little soft spot for us nowadays. He's kinda the voice of that Championship success we had as most of the iconic moments we see on YouTube/Twitter are voiced by him.

The commentator is Daniel Mann and he has had a few iconic commentary moments with United in our previous two-year stint in the Championship ...

"Inside and outside he goes ... That's a stunning strike! How on earth did he manage that?" (Duffy at Hillsborough)

"Basham's arriving ... and he takes the chance this time! Giant goal for Sheffield United!" (Basham at Leeds)

"O'Connell coming in! That's the one! Forget the Maths! The Premier League beckons for Sheffield United!" (Ipswich promotion goal)

I think I remember there being a podcast interview with him about the fact that he'd had quite a number of memorable commentary moments involving SUFC. He's not a fan of the club but I think he admired the Wilderball football we played and maybe has a little soft spot for us nowadays. He's kinda the voice of that Championship success we had as most of the iconic moments we see on YouTube/Twitter are voiced by him.
Sounds like a good luck charm! fingers crossed he's commentating for us throughout the playoffs

Watching match of the day as I kid I was always annoyed at the commentary because they'd say stuff like "this club haven't scored from a set piece for 10 games. Will that end from this free kick?" - and they'd then slot it top corner. As if they predicted it (obviously they just dubbed over it which I learned when I was a bit older). But those moments you mention aren't recorded over. They're just as they are - in the moment. Beautiful stuff.

Watching match of the day as I kid I was always annoyed at the commentary because they'd say stuff like "this club haven't scored from a set piece for 10 games. Will that end from this free kick?" - and they'd then slot it top corner. As if they predicted it (obviously they just dubbed over it which I learned when I was a bit older). But those moments you mention aren't recorded over. They're just as they are - in the moment. Beautiful stuff.

When I listened to the podcast, he just comes across as a proper football fan and I guess that passion just comes out. I've heard him give similar commentaries to other big goals and big moments in other games. If I were Sky, I'd have him commentating on the Premier League over Martin Tyler and co. any day of the week but his passionate style might be deterring them. Can't be upsetting MUFC fans but having him give a passionate commentary of a LFC goal or something!

When I listened to the podcast, he just comes across as a proper football fan and I guess that passion just comes out. I've heard him give similar commentaries to other big goals and big moments in other games. If I were Sky, I'd have him commentating on the Premier League over Martin Tyler and co. any day of the week but his passionate style might be deterring them. Can't be upsetting MUFC fans but having him give a passionate commentary of a LFC goal or something!
Good point. We all appreciate a great goal so a commentators passion coming through for that is refreshing. I can't say I've heard him do similar as I don't tend to watch other games.

Johnathan Pearce is a bloke I cannot stand the sound of. His voice grates and I feel he tries too hard. But that's just me. Martin Tyler - my mates big him up to high heaven but that's because he's always doing the big games. Stick him on Palace v Burnley and they'd soon wonder if he was all that.

I watched the Michael Brown thing with Paul Walker the other day and the commentator for that goal against the pigs - is he now doing Scottish football? I recognise his voice but can't figure it out. He was good as well.

Good point. We all appreciate a great goal so a commentators passion coming through for that is refreshing. I can't say I've heard him do similar as I don't tend to watch other games.

Johnathan Pearce is a bloke I cannot stand the sound of. His voice grates and I feel he tries too hard. But that's just me. Martin Tyler - my mates big him up to high heaven but that's because he's always doing the big games. Stick him on Palace v Burnley and they'd soon wonder if he was all that.

I watched the Michael Brown thing with Paul Walker the other day and the commentator for that goal against the pigs - is he now doing Scottish football? I recognise his voice but can't figure it out. He was good as well.

I’ve always found Martin Tyler quite knowledgable whenever he’s done our games but then again I dont know whether thats just because he started out on Yorkshire TV.

Ian Crocker is the bloke who does the Scottish games. Him and Chris Kamara are synonymous with that triple assault season as we seemed to be on Sky every other week.

Absolutely agree on Jonathan Pearce. In fact I think Sky seem to have a monopoly on the good commentators and pundits. Cant think of any on BT, BBC or ITV that even come close to any of the ones mentioned on this thread. Sam Matterface is another one to add to the list of commentators that make me want to chop my ears off.

Back
Top Bottom