50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Crys5aside.jpg
My dad and I saw this advert in the programme for the home game against Palace on 22nd April. My dad decided to raise a team each for two age groups (10 to 12 and 12 to 14) to represent the Dronfield branch. I suppose you call the age groups u 12s and u 14s nowadays. There were 14 to 16 also 16 to 18 tournaments too (Dronfield reached the final of the latter group as it stated in the programme for the home game against Spurs in May 1973). The final for each of the age group were to be played before a 1st team match at Bramall Lane, at the time we didnt know when and eventually the finals were played before the kick off of our home game against Spurs in May 1973.

After the Palace game, my dad organised training sessions for most evenings at Cemetery Road park in the next few weeks and managed to raise enough players for both teams although a few were Wendy fans!

We thought the 5 a side tournament was meant to be indoors, my dad didnt know the Retford area well. We brought our trainers/plimsolls but on arriving at the Sports ground, we realised that the tournament was being played on a sports field and should have brought our football boots! Dont know what the location is like nowadays?

The below photo is the Dronfield 10 to 12 squad for the tournament although two of the players were 9 year olds. It was noticeable that the other teams had bigger players but we did reach the semi final after beating Sheldon 1-0 (I saved a penalty late in the game) in the 1st round. There were good support from members of the Dronfield branch, I remember Nip Hague and Freddie Moore watching from the sidelines. We lost 4-0 in the semis against Anston. Top row are Gordon (whose dad took the photo), me (putting my jumper over my keeper jersey as I was feeling the cold), Andrew (dont know where he is now - I didnt really know him). Front row Chris (now lives in Canada), Mark (still goes to Blades home and away games), Martin (still goes to home games) and Chris (a very good runner who won the Sheffield half marathon in the mid 1980s and still goes to Blades games). Anston played Eckington in the final at Bramall Lane nearly a year later! Think Eckington won 1-0. The other teams were Aston, Clowne, Kiveton and Hackenthorpe (run by Dot Pearson- is she still around?).

The other team (12 to 14) run by my dad were knocked out in the 1st round, I think

Retford.jpg

View attachment 136000
My dad and I saw this advert in the programme for the home game against Palace on 22nd April. My dad decided to raise a team each for two age groups (10 to 12 and 12 to 14) to represent the Dronfield branch. I suppose you call the age groups u 12s and u 14s nowadays. There were 14 to 16 also 16 to 18 tournaments too (Dronfield reached the final of the latter group as it stated in the programme for the home game against Spurs in May 1973). The final for each of the age group were to be played before a 1st team match at Bramall Lane, at the time we didnt know when and eventually the finals were played before the kick off of our home game against Spurs in May 1973.

After the Palace game, my dad organised training sessions for most evenings at Cemetery Road park in the next few weeks and managed to raise enough players for both teams although a few were Wendy fans!

We thought the 5 a side tournament was meant to be indoors, my dad didnt know the Retford area well. We brought our trainers/plimsolls but on arriving at the Sports ground, we realised that the tournament was being played on a sports field and should have brought our football boots! Dont know what the location is like nowadays?

The below photo is the Dronfield 10 to 12 squad for the tournament although two of the players were 9 year olds. It was noticeable that the other teams had bigger players but we did reach the semi final after beating Sheldon 1-0 (I saved a penalty late in the game) in the 1st round. There were good support from members of the Dronfield branch, I remember Nip Hague and Freddie Moore watching from the sidelines. We lost 4-0 in the semis against Anston. Top row are Gordon (whose dad took the photo), me (putting my jumper over my keeper jersey as I was feeling the cold), Andrew (dont know where he is now - I didnt really know him). Front row Chris (now lives in Canada), Mark (still goes to Blades home and away games), Martin (still goes to home games) and Chris (a very good runner who won the Sheffield half marathon in the mid 1980s and still goes to Blades games). Anston played Eckington in the final at Bramall Lane nearly a year later! Think Eckington won 1-0. The other teams were Aston, Clowne, Kiveton and Hackenthorpe (run by Dot Pearson- is she still around?).

The other team (12 to 14) run by my dad were knocked out in the 1st round, I think

View attachment 136002
Is the lad in the front row saying 'How does he know what Jimmy Hagan had for breakfast before the game v.....' 😅

View attachment 136000

View attachment 136002
Chris the runner … Maddocks by any chance??

Dot of Supporters club coach fame ? Assisted by Keith that works at club and also seems to be on the behinds the scenes club videos in the tunnel area ?

Chris the runner … Maddocks by any chance??

Dot of Supporters club coach fame ? Assisted by Keith that works at club and also seems to be on the behinds the scenes club videos in the tunnel area ?
Yes, Maddocks. His brother, Mick, played for the 12 to 14 team that was run by my dad too. Yes, Dot was a well known within the SUSC in the 1970s and 1980s. She and my dad agreed to arrange two friendly matches between Dronfield and Hackenthorpe at Cemetery Road park a month or two later. I dont know Keith. Is Dot still around?

Where exactly in Retford was the British Rail Sports ground?

Yes, Maddocks. His brother, Mick, played for the 12 to 14 team that was run by my dad too. Yes, Dot was a well known within the SUSC in the 1970s and 1980s. She and my dad agreed to arrange two friendly matches between Dronfield and Hackenthorpe at Cemetery Road park a month or two later. I dont know Keith. Is Dot still around?

Was having a drink with CM last Saturday. Sits just below me on the Kop. Good mate. Used to drink in Gossips on Friday nights with him by in the day. Knew his brother Mick too.

Used to go with Dot for a few years on those coaches late 70’s, early 80’s! Never seen/heard of her in years so don’t know if she’s still around.

Not sure about British Rail in Retford. I was born and grew up in Sheffield until well into adulthood so don’t have real history with the place. If Icould change my username I would as I’ve lived back in Sheffield a while now, I’m pleased to say.

Last edited:
Was having a drink with CM last Saturday. Sits just below me on the Kop. Good mate. Used to drink in Gossips on Friday nights with him by in the day. Knew his brother Mick too.

Used to go with Dot for a few years on those coaches late 70’s, early 80’s! Never seen/heard of her in years so don’t know if she’s still around.

Not sure about British Rail in Retford. I was born and grew up in Sheffield until well into adulthood so don’t have real history with the place. If Icould change my username I would as I’ve lived back in Sheffield a while now, I’m pleased to say.
Chris is very vocal at matches especially after he has had quite a few drinks!

14/5/1972

Played at Ndola

Zambia X1 1 Blades 4 (Scullion 3, Woodward (pen))

Tom McAlister saved 2 penalties.

Blades win the Zambia Airways trophy.

Our team; McAlister, Goulding, Hemsley, MacKenzie (Ogden), Flynn, Speight, Woodward, Scullion (Ford), Dearden (Staniforth), Currie, Salmons

Looks be where Retford FC now play, near Retford Oaks school, it’s called Rail Football Ground on Babworth Road.

23/5/1972

Home International

England 0 Northern Ireland 1 (Neill)

TC's debut for England. My dad and I avoided in finding out the score so that we can watch highlights of the match on Sportsnight in suspense. After half hour into the match Northern Ireland shocked England with a goal by an unlikely scorer, Terry Neill, who at the time was the player-manager of both Hull and Northern Ireland. Looking at the same photo below in the papers in the next day I was thinking "TC was the nearest to the scorer, was it his fault?". When I found the footage of the goal in youtube, I realised that Peter Shilton had failed to claim the corner and then the players in the penalty box were all at sea and Neill was lucky enough to have a 2nd chance by hitting the loose ball into the net. In the 58th minute, my heart sank as TC was subbed by Martin Peters.

1653431582453.png

1653432368091.png
1653432411799.png

23/5/1972

Home International

England 0 Northern Ireland 1 (Neill)

TC's debut for England. My dad and I avoided in finding out the score so that we can watch highlights of the match on Sportsnight in suspense. After half hour into the match Northern Ireland shocked England with a goal by an unlikely scorer, Terry Neill, who at the time was the player-manager of both Hull and Northern Ireland. Looking at the same photo below in the papers in the next day I was thinking "TC was the nearest to the scorer, was it his fault?". When I found the footage of the goal in youtube, I realised that Peter Shilton had failed to claim the corner and then the players in the penalty box were all at sea and Neill was lucky enough to have a 2nd chance by hitting the loose ball into the net. In the 58th minute, my heart sank as TC was subbed by Martin Peters.

View attachment 136570

View attachment 136571
View attachment 136572

ZLB was at that match. #proud

27/5/1972
Scotland 0 England 1 (Ball)

My family travelled to Pwhelli Butlins holiday camp for a week's holiday. On arrival I rushed straight to the tv room in the holiday camp to watch the match on tv. I was disappointed that TC wasnt in the line up. I remember the goal and there werent many in the room cheering the goal so the holidaymakers in the room must be mostly Welsh or Scottish and my dad told me to tone down the cheering!

We didnt realise at the time that the game was Gordon Banks' last for England.

Video of the goal is below. Just noticed in the clip today that scorer Alan Ball seemed to be giving a few hostile words towards Denis Law when he was returning to England's half after the goal!

Great occasion
Don't get why we don't still have those. Fiercely
I was in Scotland for Hogmanay in 1984. Found myself surrounded by Scots at my mates house in Glasgow at around 2 in the morning . All good natured stuff all evening but the atmosphere was changing . I was asked why when the Scot’s came to Wembley they took over the stadium but when England went to Hampden our fans were anonymous. I asked one of them who he supported - he said Rangers - I asked if watched rangers reserve games , he said no . I said that to Scotland ,playing England was their biggest ever game but to us it was like a reserve game and we only showed up to give the Scot’s something to get excited about . I said that as we had win the World Cup the only games against Brazil , Germany etc were worth turning up for .

I thought they would find me so funny and join in the banter - they didn’t for some reason I still haven’t worked out to this day 😂.

My mate pulled me out of the room

No sense of humour some people

4/12/1971

Crystal Palace 5 (Taylor, Hughes 2, Badger og, McCormick) Blades 1 (Dearden)

My dad and I travelled to London in Branson's coach organised by the SUSC (Dronfield Branch). We walked to where the coach was parked by the old Post Office (where Men Zone barbers is now), as soon as I got in the coach it was smoke filled which made me gasp for breath and I quickly got out of the coach for a breather. Luckily there were less smoke in the coach when we departed and it wasnt too bad all the way to London. A friendly chap who I do not remember meeting before looked at me and said "Hello Peter!" and it was Roger Beresford who is the youngest of the three Beresford brothers who I always got on well with over the years in the away coach trips in the next few years. Whenever I bump to Roger over the years at Bramall Lane we would greet each other and have a chat. He came to my dad's funeral in 1999.

I think the coach parked near Victoria station for the fans to catch the train to Selhurst. Dont think many Blades fans knew that Norwood Junction was the nearest station to Selhurst Park and it was the Blades only 2nd league fixture at the ground in history. I dont remember the long walk to the ground (maybe we caught the bus?).

My dad and I were sat in the West stand opposite where the tv cameras were. Not long before the kick off my dad spotted Tony Mercer sitting a few rows in front of us , pointed him out to me and asked me to get his autograph. I went over to him and he cheerfully signed my programme despite that I didnt know who he was. On coming back to my dad, I asked "Who's he?". "Tony Mercer from the Black and White Minstrel Show" was the reply. No surprise I didnt recognise Tony! Tony wrote the foreword in the Blades "50 seasons in the 1st division" souvenir that were published during the 1967-68 season.

View attachment 125856

View attachment 125855

Over the years I didnt really remember that we wore gold shirts in the match until I saw a photo of Bill Dearden challenging John Jackson in one of Barry Hugman's PFA footballers Who's Who

View attachment 125857
View attachment 125858
View attachment 125859

I dont think I took much notice that Palace had signed John Hughes and Willie Wallace from Celtic in October. I did see John Hughes play for Celtic at Ayr in August but I dont think I really knew much of him but he was brilliant on my first visit to Selhurst Park, the best display I had seen by an opposition player at the time and he scored two wonder goals. His popular nickname was "Yogi" and I read recently that he didnt have a good relationship with Jock Stein, the Celtic manager.

I was never expecting that I would see us concede by more than three goals for the first time. We were 3 down by half time! The first goal scored by Tony Taylor was after a quick free kick was taken, taking advantage of our defenders lacking concentration and having a moan at the ref's decision to give a free kick to Palace.

The second goal was sheer brilliance solo run by Hughes after flicking the ball over Len Badger leaving him for dead on the left wing and firing in a fierce left footed angle shot past John Hope.
View attachment 125860

The third goal looked a soft shot by Gerry Queen and some near me thought it was an own goal by Eddie Colquhoun which caused Hope having to change direction in stopping the deflected shot but he was too late to stop it. Later on watching MOTD that evening we realised that it was Badger who scored the own goal.

There was a strange incident soon after that, on the left wing, Willie Wallace tripped over what looked like to be an object on the pitch, he picked the object up and furiously threw it off the pitch. Ron Capey , the ref, awarded a free kick to Palace and booked Colquhoun who understandably got into despair about it.

Then in the 2nd half Hughes scored another wonder goal which won the MOTD goal of the month and it came 2nd in the goal of the season. He received a short free kick near the centre circle and it seemed he was going nowhere useful but he fired an unstoppable shot to the top of the net.

Bill Dearden reduced the arrears heading in a cross by Gil Reece which I dont remember much over the years.

The 5th was scorer by John McCormick who went through our midfield easily before firing in a shot past Hope.

When I got back into the coach after catching the train back to Victoria, there were a lot of glum faces and hardly anyone was in the mood to have a good conversation. I remember Roger saying to me "What had gone wrong with United?"

We arrived home in time to watch it all over again on MOTD. Understandably the commentators and whoever presenter the programme that evening were drooling over Hughes! Sadly Hughes didnt play many games for Palace due to an injury and some at Palace have accused Celtic of taking a big fee despite knowing that Hughes has injury problems. He joined his brother Billy at Sunderland in 1973 but played only 15 minutes for them and then never played pro football again.

Not sure if all of you can see all the goals in the link below

View attachment 125861

View attachment 125862
View attachment 125863

View attachment 125864
View attachment 125865
View attachment 125866
Scores, scorers and line ups of that day are in the below link

RIP John Hughes, one of the best opposition players I have seen against us
1659390883169.png

Back
Top Bottom