5 stages of grief

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

TheGregBlade

Reaction score
Reckon I'm about at the acceptance stage but I may be going demented but I'm actually coming out of this with hope.

The last time we all had a session of collectively passing out pants was sacking Slav and hiring Hecky. I remember at the time being really confused but feeling like there  had to be a reason why they did it which was backed by a plan. Turned out to be a good decision.

I think I'm at the same stage now. Surely there has to be a plan here. Some kind of strategy or reasoning behind making this decision at this time. I'm sure that with all the talk of Illy going the past few weeks we must have been getting ready to weaponise a strategy at the drop of a hat that doesn't weaken us. Maybe we believe that reinvesting the money across a few players will avoid us being a team solely focused on 1 player to win us games.

The last time we properly questioned the board it turned out to be a good decision. I really fucking hope that we will all be eating humble pie in the coming months.

Hope u are right, I am as low as I've ever been tonight
Recruitment is key now
We are frighteningly weaker than last season
Just cannot see us having a prayer of survival next season

Reckon I'm about at the acceptance stage but I may be going demented but I'm actually coming out of this with hope.

The last time we all had a session of collectively passing out pants was sacking Slav and hiring Hecky. I remember at the time being really confused but feeling like there  had to be a reason why they did it which was backed by a plan. Turned out to be a good decision.

I think I'm at the same stage now. Surely there has to be a plan here. Some kind of strategy or reasoning behind making this decision at this time. I'm sure that with all the talk of Illy going the past few weeks we must have been getting ready to weaponise a strategy at the drop of a hat that doesn't weaken us. Maybe we believe that reinvesting the money across a few players will avoid us being a team solely focused on 1 player to win us games.

The last time we properly questioned the board it turned out to be a good decision. I really fucking hope that we will all be eating humble pie in the coming months.

Once the endorphins kick in I will be fine.

Already debating even as a season ticket holder how many games I will even attend this season now.. it’s going to be one of the most futile and pointless sessions ever. Certainly little enthusiasm in seeing at lest 15 or so teams rock up and stream roller us without even having to get out of second gear.

The very meagre targets we now have are to try and beat Derby’s Low points record and then try and beat the points we got in the Covid season.. I would hope we still have enough about us to beat Derbys 11 points but I struggle to see how we now get to 23 points.

Grief over a professional footballer deciding he's going to get a job elsewhere? Not a fucking chance. Just over 5 years back, my dear old dad died, bless him. That had me grieving, reading some of the pappy shit on here simply because a soon to be former player shat on us and is about to fuck off elsewhere doesn't even register on the grief curve.

I've been preparing myself for this since the end of his first season in the first team. As soon as there was no sign of a new deal it was obvious that he'd be off at a bargain price. Not hindight, anticipation. The thing that has done me in the last few weeks is how close we seemingly were to persuading him to sign. That I didn't expect. It had reversed my expectation that he would leave somewhat, and left a raw feeling I didn't expect.

Last edited:

Tbh never was a Hecky fan but I admit I admire his attitude and the way he’s gone about it
I do get the impression he is their puppet and he’s being used and abused
Attracting the right players to a club when you sell / lose the player you want , plan to build a team around doesn’t bode well at all

Can anyone find the clip of the simpsons where Homer is going to die from eating a poison fish,hilarious. Going from anger to acceptance, It’s the same on this board.

Elisabeth Kübler-Ross's Five-Stage process, first proposed in 1969, pertained specifically to instances of bereavement, and from the outset, Kübler-Ross herself stipulated that none of the five stages are fixed and necessarily occur in the same order. It was only ever intended to be a helpful theoretical model.

In the intervening years, psychologists operating within the phenomenological tradition have often found that the 'acceptance' stage is best explained not as one of 'closure' but rather that people tend to integrate bereavement and loss into the broader pantheon of lived experience as a whole. See Tedeschi and Calhoun (2005) Stroebe et al (2008) and Spaten et al. (2012) for a more detailed explanation.

Now since we're talking about the sale of a football player as opposed the death of a loved one, it's not unreasonable to suggest that a very different model might better explain the reaction that some might have to this news.

My own process that I have undergone in the past 12 hours has been thus:

"Oh fuck off, that's the last thing we need"

"He's gone for how much? The board want hanging by their fucking bollocks and their throats slit as they choke to death on their own blood"

"Ah well, fuck it, be reyt".

One day I might write an academic paper myself: Katzenjammer's Three-Stage Disappointment model of supporting a mid-level English football club. I will have plenty of data from which to work with, going back to at least the 1970's.

But for now, let's try not to piss our proverbial knickers too much.

You‘re right, but only in your first sentence.You may be going demented.
There was no plan when they appointed Slav and there was no plan when they sacked him, except to get out of here as quickly as they can, with money in their pocket.Remember the Prince was willing to sell us to 2 people, who have subsequently turned out not to be viable options.He just wants out, and doesn’t care less about us or the club, only his dollar.
He got lucky with Hecky, and Illy, who turned out to be the golden goose, and got him his 100 mill Prem money.
The Prince hopes not to be here,when the consequences of selling the golden goose, reaches it’s inevitable conclusion with relegation.He better have a 3rd buyer lined up, and one this time who can satisfy the Prem league, or the value of the club will plummet, and he may yet be left holding a very sick baby..If so, don’t convince yourself that the ensuing fire sale of players, is another good plan

Do we have some of the biggest soppy bollox fans in the land - yeah hell we do 🫡

Few years back, Gerrard was on the verge of leaving his boyhood club to sign for Chelsea, who at the time were better than LIverpool - he was threatened never to return to the city if he left, and eventually caved into fan pressure after they vilified him for even thinking it

This month, Mason Mount, who has been with Chelsea since been 7 years old, and having refused to sign a new contract was sold as he entered last 12 months to Man U - Chelsea fans now hate him

Rice leaves his boyhood club to pursue glory, titles and a bigger stage in the same city

Mbappe has refused to sign a new deal, and has now been frozen out and touted for sale

Non of the boards of any of these clubs have been questioned, only the players loyalty - possible exception of Rice

We lose a lad from Africa, via France and the outskirts of London, who has refused the biggest contract in our history, be handed the No.10 shirt from Billy, and who has yo-yo'd from signing with us to not, eventually making a decision probably too late

FFS - IN is/was an undoubted talent, but were not losing a proven EPL goal scorer here. He could have snapped his ACL against Palace, his form could have mirrored Lundstum - last 24 months worldie, last 12 months wankie.

No one has died, no one has lost their home/job.

Shock horror as a footballer moves from one club to another, fuck me some on here need to get a grip

Grief over a professional footballer deciding he's going to get a job elsewhere? Not a fucking chance. Just over 5 years back, my dear old dad died, bless him. That had me grieving, reading some of the pappy shit on here simply because a soon to be former player shat on us and is about to fuck off elsewhere doesn't even register on the grief curve.
It's called a metaphor mate. Some people like to use them when writing to make things more interesting to read.

Already debating even as a season ticket holder how many games I will even attend this season now.. it’s going to be one of the most futile and pointless sessions ever. Certainly little enthusiasm in seeing at lest 15 or so teams rock up and stream roller us without even having to get out of second gear.

The very meagre targets we now have are to try and beat Derby’s Low points record and then try and beat the points we got in the Covid season.. I would hope we still have enough about us to beat Derbys 11 points but I struggle to see how we now get to 23 points.
How can you make any decision on whether to attend until you know who will be playing for us ?
If we sign 4 players in the next 4 weeks that make us a stronger squad then we would potentially be better than Ndiaye staying. Had he been injured early on we would have struggled, but now there is the chance of creating something more resolute if not as exciting.

Elisabeth Kübler-Ross's Five-Stage process, first proposed in 1969, pertained specifically to instances of bereavement, and from the outset, Kübler-Ross herself stipulated that none of the five stages are fixed and necessarily occur in the same order. It was only ever intended to be a helpful theoretical model.

In the intervening years, psychologists operating within the phenomenological tradition have often found that the 'acceptance' stage is best explained not as one of 'closure' but rather that people tend to integrate bereavement and loss into the broader pantheon of lived experience as a whole. See Tedeschi and Calhoun (2005) Stroebe et al (2008) and Spaten et al. (2012) for a more detailed explanation.

Now since we're talking about the sale of a football player as opposed the death of a loved one, it's not unreasonable to suggest that a very different model might better explain the reaction that some might have to this news.

My own process that I have undergone in the past 12 hours has been thus:

"Oh fuck off, that's the last thing we need"

"He's gone for how much? The board want hanging by their fucking bollocks and their throats slit as they choke to death on their own blood"

"Ah well, fuck it, be reyt".

One day I might write an academic paper myself: Katzenjammer's Three-Stage Disappointment model of supporting a mid-level English football club. I will have plenty of data from which to work with, going back to at least the 1970's.

But for now, let's try not to piss our proverbial knickers too much.
You're absolutely right,it's not as if someone's put the wallpaper on upside down.😊😊😊😊

My 11 year old has moved on pretty quickly on this one. He's got Ndiaye, 29 on the back of 3 of his shirts, some Ndiaye prints in his bedroom and an Ndiaye Senegal shirt.
He's a fan.

Played Fifa with him last night, I was Blades and he was Malmo for some reason, whenever Ndiaye got the ball for me he booed him and then proceeded to foul him shouting "snap him" every time.

I like his way of dealing with things.

We've seen the anger stage and some denial as well as a load of conspiracy bollocks based on the logic of, if the club are saying nothing and I fill in the blanks for myself, then I am right.

I know a few people who will happily buy it off you.

I seemed to have missed out on this.
If there's any left, could I put myself down for a couple of pairs of XL boxers please?
I've washed mine since then but I've been reliably informed there are some corners of the internet where you can buy pre-pissed pants. You might want to check there first.

All relative though isn't it.

Do we have some of the biggest soppy bollox fans in the land - yeah hell we do 🫡

Few years back, Gerrard was on the verge of leaving his boyhood club to sign for Chelsea, who at the time were better than LIverpool - he was threatened never to return to the city if he left, and eventually caved into fan pressure after they vilified him for even thinking it

This month, Mason Mount, who has been with Chelsea since been 7 years old, and having refused to sign a new contract was sold as he entered last 12 months to Man U - Chelsea fans now hate him

Rice leaves his boyhood club to pursue glory, titles and a bigger stage in the same city

Mbappe has refused to sign a new deal, and has now been frozen out and touted for sale

Non of the boards of any of these clubs have been questioned, only the players loyalty - possible exception of Rice

We lose a lad from Africa, via France and the outskirts of London, who has refused the biggest contract in our history, be handed the No.10 shirt from Billy, and who has yo-yo'd from signing with us to not, eventually making a decision probably too late

FFS - IN is/was an undoubted talent, but were not losing a proven EPL goal scorer here. He could have snapped his ACL against Palace, his form could have mirrored Lundstum - last 24 months worldie, last 12 months wankie.

No one has died, no one has lost their home/job.

Shock horror as a footballer moves from one club to another, fuck me some on here need to get a grip
Has it been reported that it was the biggest contract in our history? I've seen "one of the biggest", which may be paultry by PL standards anyway.

If you think the board of PSG hasn't been questioned, you've not been looking very hard. It's a complete shit show and the fans aren't happy.

Denial - didn't last long
Anger - still there a bit, and it is directed at all involved, including the little magician himself
Bargaining - N/A
Depression - briefly
Acceptance - yep but see Anger above.

Oh and fuck of Marseille, you set of cunts. I hope your grubby club sinks into the sea. :)

Has it been reported that it was the biggest contract in our history? I've seen "one of the biggest", which may be paultry by PL standards anyway.

If you think the board of PSG hasn't been questioned, you've not been looking very hard. It's a complete shit show and the fans aren't happy.
Ive not seen anywhere the PSG board been slammed for the Mbappe contract situation - I have seen where the French PFA have criticised them for freezing him out, but why shouldnt they?

biggest in our history is what ive heard, but lets say he was offered £40k to put him on a par with Sander

Antony Gordon made 65 top flight appearances for Everton, went to the richest club in the world and is on £60k

I dont think for a newly promoted side to offer a lad with 1 EPL game to his name £40k+ a week is a bad shout, for reference Brendan Johnson started last season on £30k with newly promoted Forest - its no good saying its 'paltry' compared to EPL wages - hes not a proven EPL player

I would have liked him to sign with us, especially after verbally agreeing to do so, and then see his wage double at the end of the season based on us staying up and him hitting 15+ goals

That would have put him on a par with MGW and Mitro - which he would then be deserved of .

I’m at the “would pick raw dog shit up with my bare hands and throw it at him stage”.

Marseille getting dumped out of the Champions League in the 1st round while he looks on from the bench would work wonders though.

This. There are some real wet wipes on here.

This. There are some real wet wipes on here.
Why? Because some bad news about something that people genuinely love and care about causes an emotional response?

If you didn't feel any emotion after hearing that news, what are you doing on this forum?

Why? Because some bad news about something that people genuinely love and care about causes an emotional response?

If you didn't feel any emotion after hearing that news, what are you doing on this forum?

I reckon mate is about perspective

When it came out on Sunday, I was like FFS, that proper shit. then when it became apparent he'd fucked us over, especially doing a vid, I was into the 2 faced twat zone

However my Mrs & kids wernt/arent aware as they dont care for football.
I made it into work the next day
Im easting meals as usual
Ive not turned to alcohol before midday to ease the pain
Im not avoiding going past BDTBL as it brings back memories

All these are responses I have felt through the pain of 5 stages of grief when brought upon by the death of a family member - which is what bladeinbolton & Maurice Maurice are referencing

The application of 5 stages of grief, which is universally aligned to death, been used as a barometer to gauge how your feeling about a bloke changing jobs is, in my opinion, a little over kill

I do understand your reference tho, and whilst its a bit dramatic for some, thats upto you

I just think you probably should have kept your powder dry when bladeinbolton referenced his fathers passing - not really in the same hemisphere are they?

I was always under the misconception football was a team game
Thank goodness some on here have educated me about its about 1 man and 24 stooges
Can we salvage something , anything to give us hope
According to some we dont have 1 single player thats not of div 3 standards
Perhaps if Hecky sends up a flare some footballers might see it and come and help

I know you weren't asking me directly but I'm here being amused by comments like yours.😁🙏 It's only football fella.I'm also fascinated by the human psyche,particularly footy fans.Some provide hours of "entertainment " one way or another.
I wonder if Illy would be able to look some of us in the eye should we meet🤔.
Looking forward to the next chapter already.😉UTB.

Back
Top Bottom