2500th HOME LEAGUE FIXTURE

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

peniblade

Reaction score
Yesterday's match was the 2500th League Fixture at Bramall Lane & it is disappointing that it was not acknowledged by the club through the match announcer, tv screen or programme. According to the EFL website very few clubs have reached this landmark & those who have made a considerable effort to mark the occasion.

For the record the 5000th League Fixture will be the match against Aston Villa (A) on the 22 December.

I am sure that if the McCabe family were still in charge the occasion would have been highly celebrated.

Yesterday's match was the 2500th League Fixture at Bramall Lane & it is disappointing that it was not acknowledged by the club through the match announcer, tv screen or programme. According to the EFL website very few clubs have reached this landmark & those who have made a considerable effort to mark the occasion.

For the record the 5000th League Fixture will be the match against Aston Villa (A) on the 22 December.

I am sure that if the McCabe family were still in charge the occasion would have been highly celebrated.
We discussed on the phone. How are play off games counted? Are they "league matches" because they're under the auspices of the EFL?

And ... have you had a recount? You had said Chelsea away was 5,000.

We discussed on the phone. How are play off games counted? Are they "league matches" because they're under the auspices of the EFL?

And ... have you had a recount? You had said Chelsea away was 5,000.
Playoff games are not league games. They do not appear in the league table and they are not counted as league appearances for the players.

Playoff games are not league games. They do not appear in the league table and they are not counted as league appearances for the players.
I'll take your word. But, what we are discussing here is a count of games our friend peniblade has assembled and maintained over the years. Which has come to a milestone. Rather than some stat produced by the league.

Instead of being smug and announcing this after the event, did anyone think to let the club know in advance? Number of games played at BDTBL isn't a number most folk will be tracking.. just saying....

I'll take your word. But, what we are discussing here is a count of games our friend peniblade has assembled and maintained over the years. Which has come to a milestone. Rather than some stat produced by the league.
You can find out how many league games we’ve played at the Lane in 10 minutes.

McCabe would have built us a new ground at don valley, Better suited to the 5000 crowds we’d be getting in league 1/2. Bramall lane would be a retail park with a brass plaque marking where the centre spot was.

Look, I know peniblade in real life. I'm not doubting his count. That is not the reason I've come on this thread. I've come on this thread because of the anoraky, train spottery nature of how you put such a count together and the geeky debate that can flourish.

I know peniblade is a keen scholar of our history. I wrote about him on my Blog after he acquired "Programme Eight" from 1897.

It's a chance to remind of United's History. We didn't play league games in 1889/90. We were in the Midlands Counties League in 1890/91. The Northern League in 1891/92. And in 1892/93 we competed in BOTH the Northern League (finished 3rd) AND the Second Division of the Football League (finished 2nd).

In our very first Football League season, we had a Football League Test Match, against Accrington, to decide Promotion. While "modern play offs" might not feature in league statistics (per Revolution), there's an issue around counting that Test Match.

In 1893/94, we competed in BOTH the United Counties League (finished 4th) AND Division One of the Football League (finished 10th).

Of course, there are war time games to consider as well.

Are we ABSOLUTELY confident that ALL United Home League Games have been played at Bramall Lane? In the early years of football, it would have been common for teams to loan a ground elsewhere because of some difficulty (not least scheduling) at their more regular home.

As I said, a good jumping off point for a dive into our history.

Look, I know peniblade in real life. I'm not doubting his count. That is not the reason I've come on this thread. I've come on this thread because of the anoraky, train spottery nature of how you put such a count together and the geeky debate that can flourish.

I know peniblade is a keen scholar of our history. I wrote about him on my Blog after he acquired "Programme Eight" from 1897.

It's a chance to remind of United's History. We didn't play league games in 1889/90. We were in the Midlands Counties League in 1890/91. The Northern League in 1891/92. And in 1892/93 we completed in BOTH the Northern League (finished 3rd) AND the Second Division of the Football League (finished 2nd).

In our very first Football League season, we had a Football League Test Match, against Accrington, to decide Promotion. While "modern play offs" might not feature in league statistics (per Revolution), there's an issue around counting that Test Match.

In 1893/94, we completed in BOTH the United Counties League (finished 4th) AND Division One of the Football League (finished 10th).

Of course, there are war time games to consider as well.

Are we ABSOLUTELY confident that ALL United Home League Games have been played at Bramall Lane? In the early years of football, it would have been common for teams to loan a ground elsewhere because of some difficulty (not least scheduling) at their more regular home.

As I said, a good jumping off point for a dive into our history.
Yes, every single football or PL home game has been played at the Lane.

Instead of being smug and announcing this after the event, did anyone think to let the club know in advance? Number of games played at BDTBL isn't a number most folk will be tracking.. just saying....
Yes. I know attempts were made to "reach out" to the club on this one.

On completely different "historical milestones", I've suggested (even written) potential pieces for the match programme, etc. But, Jim from Jordanthorpe has had his picture taken with a United shirt on while on holiday in Tenerife. So, that'll take preference over some "interesting" historical thing.

Yea if Mcabe were involved it would be celebrated but as a league 2 game

As was explained to me, unlike United, not all those clubs have played continually at the same ground

I'd simply like to suggest - the Luton game, at Home, on Boxing Day, would be a good time to promote, recognise and celebrate that United will have played their 5,000th league game the week before. In passing, it could be explained we have also joined an elite club who have played over 2,500 Home league games at the same ground.

According to the EFL website very few clubs have reached this landmark & those who have made a considerable effort to mark the occasion.

Which other clubs have played 2,500 home league games at the same stadium?

I'm guessing it's just us, Preston, Burnley and Blackburn?

Yeah it Would have been celebrated by the naming of the “Kevin McCabe” stand in a fixture against Port Vale in League one.

Which other clubs have played 2,500 home league games at the same stadium?

I'm guessing it's just us, Preston, Burnley and Blackburn?
Does Preston count after they turned the whole stadium round 90⁰ late 80s or early 90s? Is it still the same stadium?
That said, Bramall Lane is a bit of a Trigger's broom so does it count as the same stadium

I remember the 2000th home game. It was against Bradford City in 2001 or 2002. I've still got the free enamel badge that the club gave away to commemorate the occasion. Pretty sure it was a 2 2 draw and was just after Bradford had come down from the Premier league.
September 8th 2001. 2-2 draw. Remember it well. First game I attended after being away from Sheffield for 6 years.

3 days later 9/11 happened in USA.

I think that night we played at Grimsby in a laegue cup match

Back
Top Bottom