2-5

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
The only other 2-5 score I can recall at Bramall Lane was the game against Norwich in 85 which led.to Ian Porterfield being sacked. (I'm not.talking about 5-2 wins at home such as Burnley last year). Away from home there have been two memorable 5-2 wins for us at Leicester in 1990 (of course) and the win at Forest in 1992 which included a couple of classic goals.

Was the one I immediately thought of too when they popped the fifth in. Think we were losing 5-1 until Edwards scored one right at the death with him hitting it from outside the box and the Norwich keeper getting hands to it but not not being able to keep it out. I half cheered it as I walked out of the kop in disgust. Well beaten that day too.

Well which was it ?

Just tried this new thing called Google. Took 1 minute.

24 Sept 1996. Utd 2 Stockport 5. League Cup.

Remember the 2-5 Norwich game. Edwards played. On MOTD.

Now any other 2-5s in the League? Searching…..

Let's be right, was never really at 5-2 game. Chances between both sides was fairly even, just passed ball around and dominate possession. Attacking and defensive wise they wasn't much better.

Was the one I immediately thought of too when they popped the fifth in. Think we were losing 5-1 until Edwards scored one right at the death with him hitting it from outside the box and the Norwich keeper getting hands to it but not not being able to keep it out. I half cheered it as I walked out of the kop in disgust. Well beaten that day too.
No, Edwards scored his 2nd between Norwich's 3rd and 4th goals. I was at the back of the Kop with my Norwich mate. He was jumping up and down after Norwich's 5th. No one took issue!

No, Edwards scored his 2nd between Norwich's 3rd and 4th goals. I was at the back of the Kop with my Norwich mate. He was jumping up and down after Norwich's 5th. No one took issue!

That's right. It was 1-3, Edwards pulled one back to set up a grandstand finish, but then Norwich scored two late goals as we threw the kitchen sink at them. There followed a vociferous anti Porterfield protest in the car park which led to his exit. Weirdly, it was the first time we had been featured on MOTD since the 5-2 defeat to Colchester in Division 4 in 1982.

The only other 2-5 score I can recall at Bramall Lane was the game against Norwich in 85 which led.to Ian Porterfield being sacked. (I'm not.talking about 5-2 wins at home such as Burnley last year). Away from home there have been two memorable 5-2 wins for us at Leicester in 1990 (of course) and the win at Forest in 1992 which included a couple of classic goals.
The Porterfield out game
Angry car park after, and that was him done

I’m a bit too young and went to a couple of games a season around this time but it seems a bit harsh to be calling for the manager’s head when we were quite in the mix really (the table at the end didn’t seem like sacking material and Norwich went up and we’re clearly a cut above us in that game) not like we were 12th or lower. Was it a bit harsh or were we slowly getting worse? It obviously got worse because when I started going regularly we were under Bassett in the third division.

I think it just highlights the lack of quality at either end of the pitch.

We weren’t battered. We created 3x as many corners and outshot them.

But the chances we have up were either high conversion ones or just excellently out away with precision. Likewise how the 5th went in, was poor from both Larouci and the keeper to a degree.

Hopefully we learn a lesson and we can beat them in the league.

I think it just highlights the lack of quality at either end of the pitch.

We weren’t battered. We created 3x as many corners and outshot them.

But the chances we have up were either high conversion ones or just excellently put away with precision. Likewise how the 5th went in, was poor from both Larouci and the keeper to a degree.

Hopefully we learn a lesson and we can beat them in the league.

Attachments

• IMG_2138.png
    IMG_2138.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 3
I’m a bit too young and went to a couple of games a season around this time but it seems a bit harsh to be calling for the manager’s head when we were quite in the mix really (the table at the end didn’t seem like sacking material and Norwich went up and we’re clearly a cut above us in that game) not like we were 12th or lower. Was it a bit harsh or were we slowly getting worse? It obviously got worse because when I started going regularly we were under Bassett in the third division.
The players Porterfield brought in for the last 2 years were over 30 and expensive.

That's right. It was 1-3, Edwards pulled one back to set up a grandstand finish, but then Norwich scored two late goals as we threw the kitchen sink at them. There followed a vociferous anti Porterfield protest in the car park which led to his exit. Weirdly, it was the first time we had been featured on MOTD since the 5-2 defeat to Colchester in Division 4 in 1982.
No it wasn't- Been on load of times Inc Preston 82, Wigan 82 for a start.

I think you'll find Preston August 82 was MOTD
Following Leeds' relegation in 1982, Yorkshire TV stopped making its own football highlights show so we shared with Granada. The 1-1 draw at home to Preston was one of the first games to be shown on the new merged show. The commentator was John Helm.

Following Leeds' relegation in 1982, Yorkshire TV stopped making its own football highlights show so we shared with Granada. The 1-1 draw at home to Preston was one of the first games to be shown on the new merged show. The commentator was John Helm.
We won 2-1 - not draw

We're you even born?

Back
Top Bottom