120th anniversary shirt

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Samantha

Reaction score
Have you seen the list on OS about what names are being put on it?

(www.bladesunited.org/names.html)

The words at the top say: "It will be United's third strip and will feature the name of each player who has ever played for the Blades' first team squad during the past 120 years woven into the fabric"

Please, please correct me if I'm wrong, but can you tell me when these names played for United's first team squad?

• Dave Bassett
  • Tony Daley
  • Derek Dooley
  • Andy Deykin
  • Adrian Heath
  • Howard Kendall
  • Scott McCabe
  • Simon McCabe
  • Kevin McCabe
  • Ian Porterfield
  • Bryan Robson
  • Steve Thompson
  • Neil Warnock
  • Howard Wilkinson
  • Chris Steer

I think Steve Thompson was a Blades player at some point in the 80's

Tony Daley did play for UTD albeit in a freindly, but if that was to count then they wouldn't have a shirt big enough.

Please, please correct me if I'm wrong, but can you tell me when these names played for United's first team squad?

The list is taken from the book. When the book was compiled, Kevin McCabe instructed that it was to include Blades staff as they were just as important as the players.

I assume either a certain website administrator is being lazy, or this also counts for the shirt ;)

The list is taken from the book. When the book was compiled, Kevin McCabe instructed that it was to include Blades staff as they were just as important as the players.

That's fine, but as quoted at the top of that web page...

"It will be United's third strip and will feature the name of each player who has ever played for the Blades' first team squad during the past 120 years woven into the fabric"

A few of those haven't!! Since when did you see Chris Steer or Terry Robinson (another name I've found) kicking a ball around in United's first team?! If the Blades staff are so important, they're missing quite a few off there, only seems to be a select few.

If I remember correctly, they said that current senior staff, directors, and all of the managers would be included on the shirts. Steve Thompson and Adrian Heath did indeed play for United as well.

Steve made 20 appearances scoring once (v. Northampton, 20 years and a day ago), and Heath made five substitute appearances in the first team.

Quite how bloody Wilkinson gets in there, I have no idea.

I think Wilkinson had a trial with us.

We could have played Robinson in goal - he could have filled it!

Was Robson a manager? or was he that idiot that nearly destroyed our football club.

Anyone care to Google / Wiki this Blade? Ouch.

Attachments

• delete.jpg
    delete.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 76

Im pretty sure that Keith Quinn has made an appearance for us, in a league cup match....
Im sure he has! He isn't on the shirt though....

Just read about dear old frank! And to think! Women complain about child birth! No women will ever fully appreciate the pain us men go through when "hit" in balls!

Anyone care to Google / Wiki this Blade? Ouch.

OOOOOOH! I might have to ask Andy Kirkham about this one, as his anorakest of anorak books (A Complete History Of Sheffield United Football Club) says that in the match on Jan 1, his collar bone was broken, and he died a month later.

Unless he was just trying to keep the gore out .....

OOOOOOH! I might have to ask Andy Kirkham about this one, as his anorakest of anorak books (A Complete History Of Sheffield United Football Club) says that in the match on Jan 1, his collar bone was broken, and he died a month later.

Unless he was just trying to keep the gore out .....
I hope for Frank's sake that is true - but when did anyone ever die of a broken collar bone a month after the injury?? :confused:

To be fair, I've never heard of anyone die of being hit in the nuts with a ball either ;)

Many times after taking one in the pods I've wished I was dead, mind...

I hope for Frank's sake that is true - but when did anyone ever die of a broken collar bone a month after the injury?? :confused:

Well so do I, though I doubt that Frank cares that much at the moment :p We are talking the turn of the 19th century here (New Year's Day 1908, to be precise), so there could have been sorts of nasty complications.

To be fair, I've never heard of anyone die of being hit in the nuts with a ball either ;)

Many times after taking one in the pods I've wished I was dead, mind...

Casey balls were a bit different from the nancy boy polythene things used now! Even so I agree. Taking one right up the orchestras is never, ever, ever a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom