101 best Blades players of the last 25 years

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Beans

Reaction score
How do S2,

If you're a regular reader of the Pinch, you'll know that I've been ranking my 101 best Sheffield United players of the last 25 years. The final part - counting down 20-1 - just got published. Anyway, I spent frickin ages writing it (it seemed like a good idea when I started) and it runs to over 20,000 words, so I thought you might permit me sharing it here for anyone who'd like to make a cuppa and settle in for some blurb on 101 United players and a bit of justification on why they are where they are.

I think you need to subscribe (or take out a free trial) for parts one (101-61) and two (60-21), but the final 20 is free to read - here ya go, hope you enjoy:

https://www.thepinch.uk/p/20-best-sheffield-united-players

One small disclaimer: I took my appearances and goals statistics from Transfermarkt which is sometimes a little wonky, so apologies if a few are a little out.

Last edited:

Great read Beans as ever - obviously it's all subjective but my main surprise is that Didsy didn't sneak into the top ten, he's probably in my top five ever that I've seen not just this century.

Great read though and fully agree with Gibbs-White being in there. Not sure about number 15 though... :)

Fantastic piece of work Beans

One thing that is very often overlooked when people talk about Jack O'Connell was his fantastic crossing ability. I've never seen another centre half with that in their locker and I think it's one of the main reasons he was so perfect to play the now infamous overlapping CB role.

I think I was probably one of the few people who were delighted when we signed Didzy. I remember when we tried to sign Waghorn and then Ipswich played at the Lane in the 2017/18 season (Blades 1-0 Basham bullet header!) and I thought Didzy was the best footballer on the pitch with his beautiful touch and control. A far better player, in my view, than Waghorn. People talk about us keeping Sharp this season but I was disappointed we didn't keep Didzy, who despite his age was never a player that relied on pace.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom