1 criticism of Wilson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sheff de party

Reaction score
risky post this, but im going to make it anyway.

i was driving along this morning thinking about how Wednesday managed to nick one in the last minute (id been to my Dad's school n he's an Owl and took great delight in pointing out how good Antonio is).

United play great football these days and quite how we are 2nd with 2 games to go im not sure. Danny's managed to motivate a group of players with talent, but no confidence and get them playing to this level. DW is the right man for the job and hes done brilliantly.

however, i couldnt help thinking that one place where we've failed is loans. Theyre vital to clubs in lower divisons. United are in a promotion battle, which are the kind of clubs that big teams want to loan to, gives them experience of pressure etc and experience of good flowing footy. players would want to come to a team thats doing well, playing in front of thousands every week. but where Wednesday have got Antonio (who is class whether we want to admit it or not), we havent had anyone in the second half of the season who's made a real difference. it was quite the coup getting Clarke and Phillips, but since they went back we've had Hoskins, Hill, O'Halleran, Williams and Egan. A big factor is lack of game time, but none of them have really made an impact. I just feel that as a club we have missed out on reaping the benefits of the loan system. its been masked in recent months because we've played well, but a classy winger would have been useful, as would a midfielder for when K Mac was injured. and how much do we need a striker right now.

all things considered, i know its a small thing to moan about, but i just feel we could have done better here.

Given that the prevailing mood around the club after the disastrous loan policy of previous seasons was to rely less on loans, I'm not surprised.

Can't argue with that sdp, our loans have been poop apart from the blackpool lads. :(

risky post this, but im going to make it anyway.

i was driving along this morning thinking about how Wednesday managed to nick one in the last minute (id been to my Dad's school n he's an Owl and took great delight in pointing out how good Antonio is).

United play great football these days and quite how we are 2nd with 2 games to go im not sure. Danny's managed to motivate a group of players with talent, but no confidence and get them playing to this level. DW is the right man for the job and hes done brilliantly.

however, i couldnt help thinking that one place where we've failed is loans. Theyre vital to clubs in lower divisons. United are in a promotion battle, which are the kind of clubs that big teams want to loan to, gives them experience of pressure etc and experience of good flowing footy. players would want to come to a team thats doing well, playing in front of thousands every week. but where Wednesday have got Antonio (who is class whether we want to admit it or not), we havent had anyone in the second half of the season who's made a real difference. it was quite the coup getting Clarke and Phillips, but since they went back we've had Hoskins, Hill, O'Halleran, Williams and Egan. A big factor is lack of game time, but none of them have really made an impact. I just feel that as a club we have missed out on reaping the benefits of the loan system. its been masked in recent months because we've played well, but a classy winger would have been useful, as would a midfielder for when K Mac was injured. and how much do we need a striker right now.

all things considered, i know its a small thing to moan about, but i just feel we could have done better here.

I agree.

I truly believe that United should have looked at having a system / project which was similar to Donny's but on a much smaller scale. However I was criticised and shouted down for suggested such thing. If we look at all the loan signings, only two have been any good yet if he had a system in place like Donny, we could recruit better players than we have now and on similar wages. It wouldn't have to be like last year with all our loan players, just one or two good players who are not getting games.

If we don't get promotion, I think one factor would be the poor loan signings when the loan window closed. Compared to our rivals, I believe we lost out in this area.

Agreed, why shouldn't we look at system based on the enormous success that Doncaster have had.

Difference is that Antoino was a replacement for Marshall and has been a first team regular.
Most of our loans - especially forward players, have been cover for a successfull line up.
Admittedly Hill appears to have a few errors in him but that was enforeced after LJF suffered a cruciate.
Cannot see hill being dropped for Saturday as he is still better in the air than Taylor. Against Stevenage we need to defend set pieces better - mind you - that didn't happen against MKD did it?

Agreed, why shouldn't we look at system based on the enormous success that Doncaster have had.

You are missing the point. United and Donny went down because one of the reasons is that they HAD TO MANY LOAN PLAYERS. So instead of shipping all these players in, have a similar system in place where we can get one or two good PL reserve players for little wages. But if your're happy with the likes of Hill and his poor performances every week playing for united, then so be it.

In contrast to the last 2 years, we've been lucky this season in that probably 6 or 7 players will have played 40 plus league games by the end of the season. The players DW has brought in have been mainly as cover so I think it's harsh to judge him or them when they've not really been required to have a decent run in the team.

Hill wouldn't be playing if Francois was fit. Hoskins wouldn't be playing if Cresswell was fit and/or Evans wasn't a moron.

As others have said, Phillips apart, the loans have been used as cover. Anyone we could have realistically got would have probably been no better than the first team anyway.

Hill wouldn't be playing if Francois was fit. Hoskins wouldn't be playing if Cresswell was fit and/or Evans wasn't a moron.

As others have said, Phillips apart, the loans have been used as cover. Anyone we could have realistically got would have probably been no better than the first team anyway.

Hence why if we had a system in place like Donny, we could call on the agent and get good PL reserves who weren't playing for little wages to cover the injuries. But i'm only a fan so what do i know.

It's also worth remembering that our worst period of the season results wise was when Phillips and Clarke were playing :)

You are missing the point. United and Donny went down because one of the reasons is that they HAD TO MANY LOAN PLAYERS. So instead of shipping all these players in, have a similar system in place where we can get one or two good PL reserve players for little wages. But if your're happy with the likes of Hill and his poor performances every week playing for united, then so be it.

You're missing the point. Donny's system was the agents project where he was allowed to say who was coming in. As it was the agents project, for him to make a return on it, it was in his interest to bring lots of players into the club to cover the risk that one or two of them wouldn't work out. As it happens it was an unmitigated disaster for Doncaster. You'd want someone or something like that near our club?

If we don't get promotion, I think one factor would be the poor loan signings when the loan window closed. Compared to our rivals, I believe we lost out in this area.

On that subject, was it ever explained how Antonio (and O'Harrolan for that matter) is classed as an "emergency" loan signing and thus allowed after the window shuts? I assumed this was just for keepers. If you can sign anyone I see no point in having a window at all.

Cannot see hill being dropped for Saturday as he is still better in the air than Taylor. Against Stevenage we need to defend set pieces better - mind you - that didn't happen against MKD did it?
Cannot see Hill starting Saturday, he looked like he'd done his hamstring near the end which is why they swapped him with Collins towards the end of the game.
UTB

When we finish second and the pigs lose in the play offs all their best auersxwill be going back to their clubs , apart from Madine but they can keep that useless lumP

Cannot see Hill starting Saturday, he looked like he'd done his hamstring near the end which is why they swapped him with Collins towards the end of the game.
UTB
Fair point - forgot that - couldn't go on Saturday so thanks for setting me right Frechy.
Williams or Taylor then at LB - Hill's hammy may just be our secret weapon

If you'd have told me 3 years ago that Craig Beattie would contribute more in 2012 than James Beattie I'd have laughed in your face...

If you'd have told me 3 years ago that Craig Beattie would contribute more in 2012 than James Beattie I'd have laughed in your face...

BT has contributed to Team Morale, you forgot that. He's the new Kozzy!
Craig BT has contributed to Scottish football....

Wednesday made excellent use of the loan system in January by bringing in Antonio and to a lesser extent Ranger and Treacy. All of which have played or are capable of playing at a higher level than we both find ourselves playing at. Blades loaned a promising youngster with pace (who will probably start alongside Porter on Saturday). The January window is when you decide as a club where you want to be at. Wednesday had more money at their disposal.

Wednesday made excellent use of the loan system in January by bringing in Antonio and to a lesser extent Ranger and Treacy. All of which have played or are capable of playing at a higher level than we both find ourselves playing at. Blades loaned a promising youngster with pace (who will probably start alongside Porter on Saturday). The January window is when you decide as a club where you want to be at. Wednesday had more money at their disposal.
I would argue that Wendy had more gaps to fill

Back
Top Bottom