Sheffield United vs Bristol City

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
BRIS
BRIS
BRIS
Status
Ratings for this match closed

Comments

I think Doyle will feel hard done by losing his place to Basham. Alcock did well as did Davies, Howard and Reed, as for the rest it looked like a Sunday kick about after an a Leo Sayer the day before. I'll hold my judgement on Higdon given he scored but on that performance I'm not fully convinced, hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

Needs work on that defence. Two chances for Brizzle, two goals. Poor marking on first, poor concentration on second. Flynn and Murphy have to get down that line and past their man more often. Far too much stop - turn - go inside which is exactly what Brizzle wanted. Like the look of Reed, he is superb . Don't think we deserved the loss, but we didn't deserve the win, either.

Team needs to gel and we need some ball winners in the middle (not Doyle). Get some money spent

We played like a team getting to know each other,which is what it was.We could do with a bit of magic in midfield,and a nippy striker .

My heart sank when the team was announced . I thought Howard was limp wristed for the first goal. Wingers poor, Higdon isolated. Reed and Scougall together didn't work. Let's put it down to teething troubles.

Early days, on another day we'd have won that game and everyone would have been reasonably happy. Remember Notts C last season :)

Reed my MOM, followed by Alcock and HM2. Higdon looked the part but lacking in fitness yet. Murphy not brought into the game enough by Harris who carried the ball forward too much himself. Scougall subdued after early clattering. Would have liked to see Basham step up physically to stop our smaller players being bullied.

A brave team selection from NC and a strange decision to announce Higdon as captain. I suspect that most people were expecting a new skipper this season but this is totally unexpected. Early days and some promising football in the first half, the assault on Harris was horrible. What happened in the second half boys, we never put Bristol under any pressure?

Changed it when he needed to except when Harris got knocked out. Had he changed it then it would have been whole different story. Round pegs in round holes. Having said that, if we'd converted at least another 2 of the 6 blatant chances created in the first 60 minutes, we'd have talking about an inspired selection rather than picking holes in it

There was nobody in midfield to boss the game. Collins was missed at the back. If Clough wants to play Davies then he needs to think about playing him in midfield. I can't help but think we would've been more balanced with the team as follows:
Howard
Alcock Collins McGahey Harris
Davies Basham Reed/Scougall
Murphy Flynn
Higdon

For me, Clough got the team wrong. Having said that, we take the chances, we've hammered them. Scougall and Murphy both had one cleared off line (Murphy's was going wide though). Scougall had a easy header go over the bar.

I too think that Nigel Clough got it wrong for this match. I'm all for discipline, but I think it cost us the result. The team was weak down the middle and got bullied all over the pitch. I trust in Nigel but was slightly disappointed for this key first game of the season.

How is Alcock possibly the highest rated? I would say it was a toss up between him and Davies for worst player on the pitch.

Alcock best for us by a mile, only Louis Reed anywhere near! Strange line up but still a long way to go! UTB!

Should have been well in front in 1st half - Flynn set-up two clear chances for Scougall (first went between his legs onto Murphs at back post & second he headed over the bar) both from edge of 6yrd box. On another day that's 2 goals.

Shot ourselves in the foot with starting team selection. Should have went with experience against a top team. 4-4-2 would have been my preferred formation.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Back
Top Bottom